Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
When you sum up all accidents by root cause, it's like 99.5% human error and .5% your poo poo got hosed up by a goose that wasn't flying the pattern correctly

Snipe

https://www-inceptivemind-com.cdn.a...AgM%3D#ampshare
Rolls Royce electric plane broke some records, but

quote:

During the successful world-record runs, the company gathered important data for its future electric power and propulsion systems for all-electric urban air mobility (UAM) and hybrid-electric commuter aircraft. The company says the characteristics that air taxis require – such as the batteries – are very similar to what was developed for the ‘Spirit of Innovation.’

Lol this plane we built to go really fast will help us make an urban air taxi

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So a channel popped up on my feed recently called like 'Dan Gryder: probable cause'. His whole shtick is jumping to conclusions about accident causes and being angry at the NTSB for taking too long to release reports, but at the same time he appears to know his poo poo pretty decently and have a good safety attitude.

It's fairly entertaining, I think he makes some good points, but he's got some annoying ticks and I don't know that I agree with how much confidence he places in his assessments, anyone have opinions on him or watched his stuff?

He's a piece of poo poo who used to be an airline pilot (this is why he actually knows some stuff), but had an incident which got Delta to fire him, seems to have kept any other airline from hiring him since, and arguably should've gotten the FAA to revoke his pilot's license altogether. First he disrupted an airport's operations for reasons which remain unclear (but, I'm guessing, was some dispute between him and a controller or something, because he seems to be a guy with major anger and authority issues), and then when police arrived on the scene he threatened to strike them with the running prop of his DC-3.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/delta-suspends-jailed-pilot/kNz1A9uDMWVK106R6xOPnL/
https://www.avweb.com/news/pilot-arrested-after-airport-incident/
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/is-dan-gryder-the-biggest-tool-on-aviation-youtube.132633/

Do not give him views, imo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

This can also, occasionally, be the case with general aviation, but it's comparatively more likely that the answer is "pilot hosed around and found out, doing exactly the thing it looked like would lead to exactly that accident."

I went to a safety seminar at the flight school once with some FAA/FSDO official, and at the beginning he asked "does anyone here know a pilot who's been in an accident?," and 5 or 6 people raised their hands.

"Okay, and for those of you with your hands up, how many of you were totally shocked and surprised when you learned that that guy had gotten in an accident? Just never saw it coming?

All of the hands went down.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Aero737 posted:

In 2008, O'hare had a bit of a flooding issue.

I've heard of seaplanes but this is ridiculous!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I've heard of seaplanes but this is ridiculous!

Yeah, they'd be lake planes, Lake Michigan is fresh water after all

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BobHoward posted:

He's a piece of poo poo who used to be an airline pilot (this is why he actually knows some stuff), but had an incident which got Delta to fire him, seems to have kept any other airline from hiring him since, and arguably should've gotten the FAA to revoke his pilot's license altogether.

For those unfamiliar with airlines in the US, most airline pilots are unionized (Delta certainly is), and that means we're incredibly hard to fire, so this guy must have either had a long history of fuckups, or had a fuckup that was so spectacular that the union couldn't keep his job.

I personally know of pilots (each event was different people) who have landed on a taxiway, fried several million dollars worth of engines, and done an entire flight with the landing gear down because they forgot to retract it, and none of those people got any more than a letter of reprimand and some additional training.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

azflyboy posted:

had a fuckup that was so spectacular that the union couldn't keep his job.

quote:

According to the Atlanta Constitution Journal police said the incident began when two code enforcement officers responded to a complaint of someone driving a car across the runway. When they approached Gryder, he allegedly gave them a false name and then refused to sign six citations. He then boarded the DC-3, started at least one engine and “told one of the officers that if she moved, he would strike her car, police said,” the newspaper reported. The code officer called for backup and police “flooded the area” as Gryder taxied the 72-year-old airliner to the runway.

According to the police, as reported by the newspaper, Gryder held at the end of the runway and “demanded” fuel, which was not provided. He taxied back to parking area and was arrested as he left the aircraft. Griffin police spokesman Brian Clanton told the Constitution Journal that the incident created a significant hazard. “He essentially shut the airport down for almost 45 minutes,” Clanton said. “His actions created a danger for all of our officers, himself, and others who lawfully use the airport.” He also said the FAA is investigating.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:doit:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5XlJ7gRbE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

I went to a safety seminar at the flight school once with some FAA/FSDO official, and at the beginning he asked "does anyone here know a pilot who's been in an accident?," and 5 or 6 people raised their hands.

"Okay, and for those of you with your hands up, how many of you were totally shocked and surprised when you learned that that guy had gotten in an accident? Just never saw it coming?

All of the hands went down.

Yeah, literally the two last fatal accidents in training at my home airport were people doing things that there were and continue to be BOLD LETTERS IN THE TRAINING STANDARDS ABOUT HOW YOU SHOULD NOT DO THAT THING. At some point: what more can you do?

And, to a lesser degree, I see it where I work. Everyone makes mistakes, but occasionally we'll get a notice like "TC is doing an inspection, remember to do [these things you should always be doing anyway because they are all legal and safety issues]!" As instructors, we should not be overlooking those things just because we think no one is watching at any given time. Every time I get one of those lists it's like, "okay, I always do that, I always do that, I always do that... no changes necessary!"

Then I look at the pandemic and it makes perfect sense why we're in the situation we're in. Folks just don't want to go out of their way for their own safety; give me convenience or give me death, quite literally.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

I would argue "no" as electricity generation from onboard systems has already been allowed, obviously, and there is no specific requirement that engines be powered by combustible fuel.
I would argue yes as you're taking external energy but I like your argument.
And my argument stretched to its logical conclusion would probably mean no flying with the wind at your back.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

BobHoward posted:

He's a piece of poo poo who used to be an airline pilot (this is why he actually knows some stuff), but had an incident which got Delta to fire him, seems to have kept any other airline from hiring him since, and arguably should've gotten the FAA to revoke his pilot's license altogether. First he disrupted an airport's operations for reasons which remain unclear (but, I'm guessing, was some dispute between him and a controller or something, because he seems to be a guy with major anger and authority issues), and then when police arrived on the scene he threatened to strike them with the running prop of his DC-3.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/delta-suspends-jailed-pilot/kNz1A9uDMWVK106R6xOPnL/
https://www.avweb.com/news/pilot-arrested-after-airport-incident/
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/is-dan-gryder-the-biggest-tool-on-aviation-youtube.132633/

Holy poo poo

Fair enough

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Tower would appreciate a braking action report

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

How is that guy not in turbo jail?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds like exactly the kind of person that would be Jim Inhofe's friend

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

How is that guy not in turbo jail?

quote:

Gryder has his own hangar at the Griffin airport, where he stores the DC-3A involved in Wednesday's incident and several other aircraft, Mohl said. Gryder uses his planes for metro area airshows and to teach other pilots. Gryder operates an aviation training and consulting company.

Sounds like someone that can afford lawyers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Welp, sucks to hear that he's a real rear end in a top hat. I liked the couple times he was on Flight Chops.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

How did you get video of KBOS on Saturday already?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is anyone here part of the Civil Air Patrol? It’s been something I’ve half been vaguely interested in for years now but don’t really know anything about beyond the concept that they exist at all. It seems like a something to do and a decent way to get around planes for someone that neither has the time or the money for aircraft being around-ing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought the Civil Air Patrol was a really cool idea and wanted to get into it, and then I learned that apparently it's all weirdo paramilitary chuds with a vastly inflated sense of self-importance trying to play Air Force. The kind of person who calls every flight a "mission" and hangs around the ramp in a flight suit, or like the aviation equivalent of the guy at the shooting range kitted out like a Navy SEAL. It's too bad, because otherwise hell yeah I'd love to learn to do SAR and volunteer for that on the weekends and maybe even build hours.

That said, I have no direct experience with them so perhaps someone who does can confirm/deny.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah I was kind of afraid of that as you are apparently in uniform playing soldier when doing the thing. Seems like ROTC type stuff for better and worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

The kind of person who calls every flight a "mission" and hangs around the ramp in a flight suit

We all know at least one of This Guy, and, to be honest: not a fan.

Current or former military people, aviators or otherwise, usually refer to him, in my experience, as "that loving stupid rear end in a top hat."

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

A CAP plane not on CTAF, overflying airports at 500ft, tried their best to midair me on my first solo xc as a student, that's the extent of my experience with them :cool:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just about anything that calls itself a "patrol" and isn't real rear end military is going to be full of shitheads. And I'm including the Boy Scouts and Snow Patrol in that. Smart Patrol is maybe the only exception to that.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Also, in Russia "occasionally" (read-nearly always) you have to register your Boeing aircraft in Bermuda so that the government can't just repossess them when they feel like it.

I'm not sure why Alitalia had so many registered in Ireland, though. Presumably tax dodging.

Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I went to a local squadron meeting and had conflicting feelings. It's a mixed squadron so they have the young cadets and it was cool to see them run baby ROTC program for essentially at-risk youth. On the other hand the adults were a mixed bag of geriatric guys and gals in leather jackets and youngish people in surplus ABUs giving off a strong military cosplay vibe. It's a shame it was so off-putting, it does sound like they do some cool flying and take an active role in SAR.

There was one time a CAP dude came in to SAC when visibility was 3-4SM and he lost sight of the airport while in the pattern and turned into a conflict to both downwinds and crosswinds and caused a huge clusterfuck until he managed to fly an assigned heading and come back in. Pilot sounded super shaky on the radios so after he landed I found him by the fuel pumps and checked on him to see if he was ok. Thankfully he was, but the whole conversation was basically "I'm in my 80s now and I don't think I can keep doing this". :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Midjack posted:

Just about anything that calls itself a "patrol" and isn't real rear end military is going to be full of shitheads. And I'm including the Boy Scouts and Snow Patrol in that. Smart Patrol is maybe the only exception to that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My local flight or wing or whatever is like six old farts that take 90% of the actual government-paid-for flying time for themselves, and parcel out the other 10% as incentives to get the cadets to come to meetings, wash the old farts cars and other repulsive poo poo. CAP could be an amazing tool for helping young people, and drawing together the local aviation community, but it isn’t.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Funnily enough, the website for the closest group redirects to a Chinese Agriculture Loan program by the government over there of all things.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I just applied to go to school for an A&P program. Any advice?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
If your school has a flight program too you can probably help with annuals and 100hrs, which is a great opportunity to be around some (hopefully) seasoned mechanics

Otherwise pay attention in class and be a good student I guess

Did you have any more specific concerns or questions about A&P schools?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

PhotoKirk posted:

I’m halfway through a community college program, in general avoid any for profit schools if possible. Otherwise, upcoming job market looks pretty good on the mechanics side.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
When I was in high school I enrolled in an A&P program at George T Baker Aviation School. I only made it through the first year before my family moved away from Miami.

However the expectation there then was that once you got your A&P license you were set for 40k a year fresh out of school. In 1986 that was serious money.

The BLS outlook today is that the median salary for an A&P mechanic is 67k.

That’s a pretty glaring example of suppressing wages. That should be 120ish in todays dollars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PhotoKirk posted:

Even though I only spent a brief couple years working as a mechanic before I left the industry for another part of aviation, I don’t regret doing it at all. It’s a fantastic place to start out.

I don’t know what it’s like now, but circa 2006 the big money route was breaking into rotary wing, and working as an itinerant mechanic for oil rig helicopters, logging, back-country electrical infrastructure emplacement, that sort of thing. Lots of travel, but the pay was a lot more akin to working for the legacy majors, without having to spend five or ten years building union seniority with a speed handle opening and closing panels.

stan488
Mar 18, 2005

Dalrain posted:

I’m halfway through a community college program, in general avoid any for profit schools if possible. Otherwise, upcoming job market looks pretty good on the mechanics side.

I second going to a state tech school or community college. No reason to pay $50K at somewhere like Spartan/MIAT or somewhere else when 8-10K will get you the same certs.

I went through TCAT Memphis back in 2008-2010 and between the TN lottery scholarship and some education/training grants from the city of Memphis I graduated with a full set of MAC tools and toolbox for probably $800 out of pocket.

This is the current pay scale at the airline I work for, and we hire straight out of school, and hire apprentices from local A&P schools at many of our MX stations. We give a ton of good training in the first year or two and Delta and Southwest really appreciate it when they take all of our technicians after that first year or two.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, I think that's at least two cargo containers that got processed through the engine:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Look at the forklift or whatever that is like oh poo poo GTFO

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Midjack posted:

drat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wibble posted:

What about Paw Patrol, does that fit your high standards?

scroll up. And no, those loving fascists do a disservice to all dogs everywhere.

edit: lol caught it before the edit