Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve never owned a GTI and I peace at them because I really like GTI’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Which one of you guys came up to my wife yesterday while she was at the car wash with our E-wagon?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Qmass posted:

I had a gti for 10 years and nobody gave a poo poo.

I have owned an i30N for 2.5 weeks and an 8 cyl ford big upped me at a light. Waved back and forth another i30N on a mountain pass and the one other i30N I ran into devolved into a mini cruise. Fucken weirdo club and loving it. I see like 3 GTIs every time I go out but those 2 are the only I30Ns I have seen. Interesting having an intrinsic community feel from a car.

Seconding this.
I had an e36 M3 for about a year and I got WAY too much attention from that. Constantly being challenged at red lights. People trying to race. I'd be at house parties and random, already drunk guys would bust in and be like "WHO'S M3 IS OUT THERE!". I think if I had a more extroverted personality it'd be way better but I like to go under the radar.

Had a Mk4 GTI after that for 8 years and yeah, no one gave a flying gently caress once.

The WRX wagon is a great middle point. Most people don't give a poo poo but a few car or subie people give a friendly head nod/wave. Had a few guys follow me through traffic then compliment the car when we got to a light. It's way more my vibe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
People tailgate the poo poo out of my blue BRZ and do ricer flybys all the time. I don't get any of that in the white BRZ with classing / org stickers and a wing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Only people that ever try to race my GTI at stop lights are sketchy tweakers in late 90s early 00s poo poo boxes. I don't really get it.

Don't see many GTIs or Rs around here, but I'd say it's about 50% chance I'll get a wave or nod. The other day I was driving through a small town, and a late 60s looking long white hair dude was filling up his GTI at a gas station as I passed by. He did a double take then gave me a huge cheer and massive thumbs up. Made my day.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Which one of you guys came up to my wife yesterday while she was at the car wash with our E-wagon?

Sorry about that, it was just so cool man

e: I do actually wave at other wagons I see even though 90% of the time it's just old people who are clueless lmao

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

Sorry about that, it was just so cool man

e: I do actually wave at other wagons I see even though 90% of the time it's just old people who are clueless lmao

"He said he almost bought an AGM?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

"He said he almost bought an AGM?"

lol this is me

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol this is me

Nervously looks at post/location history.

Look sicko, she's clearly pregnant/due soon. :mad:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the FiST is a goddamn blast on slippery roads

also I got Revolver Ocelot fingers from a dude in an F-150 the other night

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

God drat, these Michelin Alpin A4 winter tires handle way better than the stock all seasons did. Can't wait to feel the difference going to Pilot Sports this summer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

God drat, these Michelin Alpin A4 winter tires handle way better than the stock all seasons did. Can't wait to feel the difference going to Pilot Sports this summer.

I have a set of the old design PA4's for my M3 and I was very impressed with them overall. If you aren't regularly driving into the mountains in winter they seem to be able to handle pretty much anything that isn't going to high center the car really well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I gave a VW peace sign to a bright red alltrak today and the driver waved back but looked very confused. When I had my Si most other Si drivers were super eager to chat, I used to get in stoplight conversations all the time. It's about 50/50 with GTIs.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I throw peace signs to FiSTs and an occasional FoST

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I throw peace signs to FiSTs and an occasional FoST

I will basically say what up to anyone driving any enthusiast car

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

prom candy posted:

prom candy knows what’s up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

prom candy posted:

I usually wave unless they're driving like a total dick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
big ups to the guy in the g37 at 2AM trying to race you at every red light when all you wanna do is go home

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

big ups to the guy in the g37 at 2AM trying to race you at every red light when all you wanna do is go home

Back when I owned the Lightning this was me.

I'm so ashamed.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

prom candy posted:

Pretty much yep

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

prom candy posted:

Yup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to suspension stuff. Is there a cheap way to get 1-2" lower on a GTI without impacting the DCC? I know I can get Bilstein DCC coilovers, but that is $$$ and I don't care about wheel gap that much.

e: took it to the stupid questions thread... no lowering for me for a while!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 20, 2022

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Near my work there's a 60+ year old dude that dailies a tuned to hell and back FiST

The only time I see him is when I'm on test drives in boring rear end customer cars

I wave every time and I think he's figured out who I am but I dunno

I just want to be friends with speedy grandpa

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Near my work there's a 60+ year old dude that dailies a tuned to hell and back FiST

The only time I see him is when I'm on test drives in boring rear end customer cars

I wave every time and I think he's figured out who I am but I dunno

I just want to be friends with speedy grandpa

When I took the train to work there was a 50-60 year old guy that drove a blue FiST to the train station every day. Always wondered about him.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
When I was 23, my only car was a heavily modified STI with a nauseatingly loud N1 exhaust setup and when my dad would come to visit, he refused to spend any money on a rental and would drive it around - I can only imagine seeing a 60+ year old guy driving around quite possibly the loudest car both metaphorically and literally

stik
Apr 19, 2008

I am an old man (50) who dallies a FoST. It's my work truck/commuter car.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

stik posted:

Heck yeah looks great. I loved my FoST before I sold it last year.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

stik posted:

This owns so much I love it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We had a guy on the CivicX Si subforum who was pushing 70. Nice guy. Every time I felt like I was too old for my car I thought of him.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
there’s an old dude with a very clean gen 9 Si in my area

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My 67-year-old Dad has a GTI. There's no age too old for a hot hatch.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

stik posted:

How do secure the ladder? I’ve got base bars for my GTI, but have only been brave enough to haul my bike so far.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d assume a ratchet strap or two would do ya pretty well.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

nitsuga posted:

How do secure the ladder? I’ve got base bars for my GTI, but have only been brave enough to haul my bike so far.

Yep, ratchet straps. I use the endless ones for the car usually.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Enos Cabell posted:

Can't wait to feel the difference going to Pilot Sports this summer.

How many miles do Pilot Sports usually last (I guess also in an awd car)
I've got a set of Bridgestone Potenza's and they're not all that grippy at all. But they have lasted me like 4 years without being close to needing replacement.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DevCore posted:

I've got a set of Bridgestone Potenza's and they're not all that grippy at all. But they have lasted me like 4 years without being close to needing replacement.

The Pilot Sports have a 20k mile warranty on them, so guessing not much past that.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

DevCore posted:

On my Focus ST the PS4S lasted me about 16k miles with occasional AutoX use (3-4x a year) on them. I got half the price pro rated because the warranty was 30,000 miles.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are the typical symptoms of a manual transmission clutch slipping? My mk7 GTI with 60k miles has started doing a weird thing where when I give it some gas the revs spike and the gear indicator goes away. It's like it's losing track of what gear it's in?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Clutch slipping always starts with low revs in my experience. If you want to know if your clutch is slipping, go 60 on the highway in 6th and give it some gas and see if the revs go up without acceleration and then catches. It eventually shows more and more in the lower revs as it gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

devicenull posted:

What are the typical symptoms of a manual transmission clutch slipping? My mk7 GTI with 60k miles has started doing a weird thing where when I give it some gas the revs spike and the gear indicator goes away. It's like it's losing track of what gear it's in?

This would make sense if the gear indicator is calculated based on the relationship between RPM and road speed (I don’t know that it is, but that seems like it would be trivial to implement and requires no extra sensors or anything). A change in engine speed with no corresponding change in road speed might cause it to get confused.