Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

Amy Sedaris

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pron on VHS posted:

I have had a hard time watching any TV besides reruns, my brain just doesn’t want to sit and learn the plot of a new story

Also I started playing Hades, and boy do I suck rear end at video games. How do I get by Meg, I’ve died like 500 times each time nearly instantly

Keep unlocking mirror powers. Extra dash and death defiance. It'll get easier. Hades is funny in that every time you pass a cliff that cliff becomes trivial.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Its Rinaldo posted:

gently caress

More like "Oh Fish!"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

hifi posted:

i don't really know what a company designed for VC cash/sales to a company means. they are definitely on the hype train of monthly subscriptions, selling a nebulously premium example of a normal thing and a lot of lock-in via the devices but i'd say that's all symptoms of capitalism rather than something more devious than that.

Mostly it means a company trying to present growth over everything else, including profit. I have no insight into Peloton's finances, but any company looking for a buyout wants numbers like they're selling 10% more bikes than last year, forever, even though that's impossible. Peloton is for people who want to spend a poo poo load of money to get a gym class experience without having to leave their house. It was great in 2020 when nobody could go to the gym, but now that market is saturated. Not to mention that a few copycat companies sprung up.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Peloton is probably going to be fine. They did miss the mark on how many people would move back to the gym after COVID was :airquote:over:airquote: but they still have a remarkably high retention and usage rate for their equipment. Getting bought up by someone isn’t out of the question, but they’ve been around for a decade and have continued to expand their offerings in a way that doesn’t seem like a bid to get bought up to me. I do wonder if someone has the knives out for John Foley though - he is getting hit pretty hard for the disappointing last quarter or two and it may be someone trying to push him out.

As an aside, it really is pretty nice equipment. My office has a couple of bikes and they’re pretty fun to ride. I set up a bike trainer so I could use their app at home and while it’s not the same, I like it more than things like TrainerRoad. I think it’s pretty easy to hate on it because it’s a piece of bougie $2K exercise equipment, but that’s the same cost as a lot of the connected smart bikes nowadays. Biking or spinning is just an expensive hobby.

Also I’ll have a Frosty, thanks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Bike Stuff posted:

Have you considered that some people may enjoy exercising in this manner and while their business model of expansion and profitability has had impacts on their market cap, the actual product could actually be good?

Or is it easier to just hold a strong opinion about something you know next to nothing about?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If the group exercise and leaderboard/social aspect of Peloton is what gets you regularly working out, that’s great. Some people are very motivated by group exercise and rankings and stuff.

Whatever gets you in the gym

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would get back in the gym but for the deadly global virus.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would get back in the gym but for the deadly global virus.

Are you not prepared to make the Ultimate Sacrifice at the altar of gains?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife really wants to reactivate our gym memberships, but keeps telling me that she's uncomfortable with me taking public transit. It's some mixed messaging for sure!

Might buy myself a new kettlebell for my birthday in a couple of months, the run on new home workout equipment is mostly over right

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I keep forgetting to go check out my second hand sporting goods store for a bike trainer I can just park in front of my TV and hook my road bike up to

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

If the group exercise and leaderboard/social aspect of Peloton is what gets you regularly working out, that’s great. Some people are very motivated by group exercise and rankings and stuff.

Whatever gets you in the gym

Yea, personally I find it awful because I definitely wouldn’t want that experience, but there’s a lot of people who would find it very motivating.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

T-Square posted:

I keep forgetting to go check out my second hand sporting goods store for a bike trainer I can just park in front of my TV and hook my road bike up to

There’s an indoor trainer thread in The Great Outdoors that regularly has the scoop on trainer deals. Come, we have such sights to show you.

Also if you have an REI nearby and are a member, I usually see one or two in their garage sale section.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's pretty easy to socially distance at the gym. I've been going regularly since around September 2020 and I'm pretty sure I've never gotten covid (if I did I was asymptomatic and never gave it to someone else) :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
no, people who buy pelotons are bougie yuppie trash and that's my final word on the matter

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I want to make fun of Peloton but I also really want a rowing machine so it’s just being hooked on 10 years’ ago’s hot trendy workout equipment

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Do they still make Thighmasters?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If you support gyms, you support capitalism. Peloton is the people's exercise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the proletariat must seize the means of sick gains

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

T-Square posted:

When I was married, I had a recumbent exercise bike in my upstairs office. It was really relaxing to finish a day of work, put my iPad on the bike's console tray, fire up Netflix and just ride until I got through a few episodes of a sitcom or a episode of Star Trek.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Picked up something similar and it sits infront of a wall mount tv. Throw on something to watch and just pedal for an hour.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i want one of those nordictrack ski machines from the early 90s

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BigPaddy posted:

Picked up something similar and it sits infront of a wall mount tv. Throw on something to watch and just pedal for an hour.

Yeah, I have this in front of my old 37 inch tv, with a xbox series s in front of it. Play an rpg for an hour at lunch while going through a course.

Alaois posted:

My parents have had one as a clothing rack since Clinton was in office.

E:

https://twitter.com/jijidraws/status/1486247073892556803

Kalli fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Alaois posted:

Those things are so awkward. I remember working out on one a friend had way back when and I could barely do it. It's also huge.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I think I'm in love

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a former saxophone player (in elementary/high school) I can assure you that it is not easy to get such excellent tone from a baritone sax when you are a small person. That's impressive all on its own.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In other news, I guess they just ran out of suntan lotion a third of the way through?

https://i.imgur.com/pw9sLjg.mp4

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

In other news, I guess they just ran out of suntan lotion a third of the way through?

:stare:

That’s a solid week of misery at least

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Freaquency posted:

:stare:

That’s a solid week of misery at least

that color.... *shudders*

when I was in Hawaii recently I saw tons of big large white people all burned to a crisp and it was like they had no idea that had happened to them, still going about their day at the beach in the bright sun

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dango Bango posted:

It's pretty easy to socially distance at the gym. I've been going regularly since around September 2020 and I'm pretty sure I've never gotten covid (if I did I was asymptomatic and never gave it to someone else) :shrug:

Socially distancing isn’t really an anti Covid tool, especially indoors.

I checked out a gym a couple times and it was people half assedly wearing cloth and paper masks while breathing heavy.

Glad you didn’t get sick though.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

no, people who buy pelotons are bougie yuppie trash and that's my final word on the matter

Guilty as charged.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Play posted:

that color.... *shudders*

when I was in Hawaii recently I saw tons of big large white people all burned to a crisp and it was like they had no idea that had happened to them, still going about their day at the beach in the bright sun

Yeah I think there are some people who just accept a sunburn as the cost of enjoying the sun. I *still* know people who think you need to get a burn out of the way so you can get a tan which is obviously wrong on just… so many levels. I grew up at the beach and now live with a thin atmosphere and near-constant sun, I’m just going to wear sunscreen so I don’t look 70 when I’m 40.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just never go outside.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I think there are some people who just accept a sunburn as the cost of enjoying the sun. I *still* know people who think you need to get a burn out of the way so you can get a tan which is obviously wrong on just… so many levels. I grew up at the beach and now live with a thin atmosphere and near-constant sun, I’m just going to wear sunscreen so I don’t look 70 when I’m 40.

Yeah I'll admit to loving up a few times and getting badly burned when I was younger. It took me a while to adapt because when I was a little kid I spent a ton of time outside, and because I'm an 8th Chilean Indian I would brown up very nicely and not need sunscreen at all for the rest of the summer

Nowadays that I work in an office and I'm not outside all the time it is absolutely crucial or else my vacation will be ruined because I'll be in terrible pain.

A year or so ago I forgot to put sunscreen on my lips when I went snowboarding in Utah on a very sunny day. They literally swelled up to twice their size, became so loving tender that eating and drinking was agony, and even started bleeding and eventually scabbing up. God that was horrible.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I am a pasty white northerner and always wear sunscreen during the summer if I’m going to be outside for the day.

Although sometimes I just don’t put enough on, one time I peeled two separate full sheets of skin off of my shins and it made a cool Saran Wrap noise and honestly it was kind of enjoyable

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

I want to make fun of Peloton but I also really want a rowing machine so it’s just being hooked on 10 years’ ago’s hot trendy workout equipment

I want one of those Hydrow Machines so bad

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Leperflesh posted:

As a former saxophone player (in elementary/high school) I can assure you that it is not easy to get such excellent tone from a baritone sax when you are a small person. That's impressive all on its own.

I played sax from 4th grade up through about 5 years ago (and then a few times a year for alumni bands and stuff) and yeah... It's drat impressive. Especially so since I had the, uh, fun?, of playing the lead alto part for Tank! in one of my jazz bands 😐

Kalli posted:

:stonk:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I wonder who gets to play The Wasp now!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have just been swinging around a heavy iron kettlebell for the time being. I can’t wait until it warms back up again so I can get back on the bike (or I score that trainer), I want to take one last dance at motorcycle racing this year and need to get that cardio up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pron on VHS posted:

Also I started playing Hades, and boy do I suck rear end at video games. How do I get by Meg, I’ve died like 500 times each time nearly instantly

It unfolds quickly. I can’t get through Elysium but the game is paced well enough that it doesn’t feel hopeless but challenging enough that you want to come back.

It’s the best game I’ve played in awhile.