Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

If anyone wants to play FF1 the REAL way, there's lots of really useful guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0QlRiVuVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBL6hc-4H18&t=1794s

FF1 GBA was my introduction to the series, so I don't really think there's anything wrong with the remakes. They're so much faster paced they're like Half Minute Hero in comparison.

Tho i have gone back and played the nes version, the gba ff1 was how i first interacted with it and i do think it is fantastic and worth playing if the admittedly clunky menuing and buggy nature of nes ff1 is too big a turn-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Twelve by Pies posted:

I could not disagree more with this post. I think ACF improves on the original in (almost) every way, especially considering all the new playable characters, the (mostly) awesome remixed music, the changes to make dungeons look more interesting and varied instead of them all looking identical, and the changes to how the characters played was great too. There's also closure to some of the stuff from the original game that never got it (like how reviving Elmina actually has a point in ACF).

That's not to say that I like all the changes though. Losing a couple of guardians was a shame (RIP Denogeneous), some of the music is worse in my opinion (the "mysterious village" music that plays at Saint Centour after the town is abandoned is far superior in the original as the most glaring example, and the loss of Zed's original theme is really disappointing too), and Giant's Cradle being removed sucks too. Also I can see how some of the additions (mostly the puzzle boxes) would be really irritating to people too, even if they are totally optional.

ACF turns the world map theme into an even more blatant Ecstasy of Gold ripoff and it rules.
ACF could have been better than WA3 if it didn't take everything from it and made it worse. The gardening sub-game sticks out, especially when dealing with the small flower bullshit making luck such an important stat, but you can't sleep grind it. Now I have to RNG items to do farming. I am not missing those terrible monster screams of WA1, but ACF made leveling difficult and encounters drop so few items compared to WA3. The returning bosses somehow felt uninteresting as characters compared to WA1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know the game is billing itself on being tough but I hope you can come back to starting areas level 999 with fisticuffs blaring limp bizkit while punching goblins in the head making them explode into red gemstones

just be this loving horrible menace to the monster population

You can do that in Nioh so I'd imagine you can do it in Final Fantasy Nioh, too. Just get your stats and gear into the stratosphere and roll into a low-level (or even high-level) zone like a blender.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
If you're in it just to check out what the FF1 story and vibe is like because you never played it, the pixel remaster is the way to go by a long shot

If you get a few hours in and you're bored with the lack of difficulty, the best way to play FF1 is with the randomizer site's improved vanilla preset. the remakes and ports largely do away with any real decision making once you get past the marsh cave unless you pick an intentionally bad party configuration and that can get kind of boring

I wouldn't recommend playing the original game unpatched as a first time through though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a mod that makes the FF1 pixel remaster have a combat balance more like the original? The pixel remasters have great QoL (like a sprint button) and I like how they look and sound, but the FF1 PR is turbo-easy for everything except the very last boss.

Honestly they could've increased the HP of every boss in the game except Chaos by like 5x or more and it still wouldn't be hard but you'd probably have to heal at least. Chaos is so much harder than the other bosses just because he has enough HP that you can't just nuke him down before his attacks can take a chunk out of your HP, and even then if you have a White Mage you'll be fine.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Electromax posted:

Was just playing WA1 today, stitching a world map of it because I was surprised none existed. A game so old-school it has a built-in screensaver. Killer soundtrack too.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1486460683076227075?t=wlj-pmW9LI26wTCHQNdzkA&s=19

WA had a lot of unique and interesting features that very few if any games replicated. The ability to rename your spells is one of the more obvious ones but you can also create your own pixel art for the menu icons which I only recently learned about.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Is there a mod that makes the FF1 pixel remaster have a combat balance more like the original? The pixel remasters have great QoL (like a sprint button) and I like how they look and sound, but the FF1 PR is turbo-easy for everything except the very last boss.

Honestly they could've increased the HP of every boss in the game except Chaos by like 5x or more and it still wouldn't be hard but you'd probably have to heal at least. Chaos is so much harder than the other bosses just because he has enough HP that you can't just nuke him down before his attacks can take a chunk out of your HP, and even then if you have a White Mage you'll be fine.

https://discord.gg/p9F2Pk6S

dig through here, this is pretty much the place for PR mods

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yes there is.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1-N0QZGq0VT5c8iECi_y_qhNFIlugj9q0o_uxUC6_YC4/mobilebasic

You'll need the custom unity player dll file and probably Memoria. Then take your pick between the NES Rebalance Mod or the Origins Rebalance mod depending on if you want a prettier, bugfixed NES difficulty or a prettier PS1 Origins version difficulty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want a mod that simulates blowing into the cartridge 40 times and it still won’t start

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

HD DAD posted:

I want a mod that simulates blowing into the cartridge 40 times and it still won’t start

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cleretic posted:

The GBA remakes introduced me to the idea of what a remake should be, and they still stand as a gold standard. Pixel remasters are pretty much right beside them.

wait until you see the real gold standard of resident evil 1 on the gamecube.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The gold standard for remake is Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) and will soon be dethroned by Dragon Quest 3's 2.5D remake. :colbert:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The gold standard for remake is Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) and will soon be dethroned by Dragon Quest 3's 2.5D remake. :colbert:

when the heck does this come out

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

HD DAD posted:

And also "God damnit the dog knocked over the console" random events

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there should be a final fantasy pixel perfect mod that makes most of the stats, jobs and spells useless just like in the original imo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when the heck does this come out

Hopefully well after I get a chance to finish VI PR and kill chaos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF1 Origins is probably the ideal remake of FF1 (at least until SoP comes out) since it's the original with a better presentation and bug fixes and all that, basically the way the NES version was meant to be played. The other ones aren't bad at all, just kinda do their own different thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mega64 posted:

FF1 Origins is probably the ideal remake of FF1 (at least until SoP comes out)

Bullshit

SoP's a prequel!!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Runa posted:

Bullshit

SoP's a prequel!!

That's the beautiful part about a story that has a time loop in it! The entire game is simultaneously a prequel to itself

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Scalding Coffee posted:

The gardening sub-game sticks out, especially when dealing with the small flower bullshit making luck such an important stat, but you can't sleep grind it.

I don't really remember much about the gardening minigame, but I do know that they made tiny flowers much harder to get than in the original, yeah. On one hand I understand how that's annoying, on the other hand ACF really wanted to lean into the "world is a wasteland" thing, WA3 did the same thing (hell, WA3 committed so hard to it that basically the only green on the world map was the one area around Yggdrasil, and you couldn't even buy basic heal berries at shops).

Scalding Coffee posted:

but ACF made leveling difficult and encounters drop so few items compared to WA3.

This criticism I don't understand at all. Leveling is hilariously easy, almost too easy in ACF as long as you never use Mystic Cards until you get Jane in your party, and then save them all for Power Apples while you're sailing on the Sweet Candy. Once you can get Rudy's arm maxed out you can gain like 15-20 levels in a single Power Apple fight.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there should be a final fantasy pixel perfect mod that makes most of the stats, jobs and spells useless just like in the original imo

Is Ultima still useless in FF2PR? I forget.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Will the DQ3 Remake be better off now that Koichi's dead? That man had no dignity.

I hope it doesnt crib from the GBC version as that medal-grinding quest is a waste of time.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pigbuster posted:

Is Ultima still useless in FF2PR? I forget.
It's a decent nuke to give your white mage now but still is fairly grindy to make it feel like later iterations of it.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Having just beat FF2PR, it's the best attack spell in the game, even at level 1 it's ridiculous and was doing 130 damage. which, admittedly, is dogshit. but I'm glad I got it up to 5 before mythril golems started being added to the mix.

admittedly I probably didn't need it but it's good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In FFTA, if Marche decided to kill one of the bullies or whoever in a Jagd before destroying the world and coming back home, does that bully come back or are they still dead?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait until you see the real gold standard of resident evil 1 on the gamecube.

I haven't played it (and probably won't, nothing really for me in Resident Evil), but from what I've heard yeah, it's exactly the thing I'd want from a remake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega64 posted:

In FFTA, if Marche decided to kill one of the bullies or whoever in a Jagd before destroying the world and coming back home, does that bully come back or are they still dead?

What does your heart tell you?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

The bully never died. It was just a hosed-up kid’s hosed-up dream with no effect on the real world.

Destroying the world wasn’t about saving anyone, it was about forcing a traumatized child to face reality and abandon escapism even if it meant destroying an entire world to do it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 27, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jokes posted:

The bully never died. It was just a hosed-up kid’s hosed-up dream with no effect on the real world.

he died actually

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he died actually

F’d up if true

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he died actually

Still think Marche is the good guy? :smug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I want tactics advantage to get remade next so we can have this conversation more often.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I absolutely love FFTA

Not really playing it, but you know

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Still think Marche is the good guy? :smug:

Kiryu has murdered multiple people and everyone thinks he is a good guy so....

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Kiryu has murdered multiple people and everyone thinks he is a good guy so....

What are you talking about, Kiryu has never killed a human being in his life

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's fact is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GimrcIt5A

In this scenario the waiter is made of rubber.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hellioning posted:

I want tactics advantage to get remade next so we can have this conversation more often.

my name is jack marche and i'm here to put my brother back in his wheelchair

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cleretic posted:

What are you talking about, Kiryu has never killed a human being in his life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Mister Olympus posted:

In this world I can stand on my own two feet brother!

Bullshit *blasts Limp Bizkit*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mister Olympus posted:

Montblanc: I respect his fighting ability kupo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mister Olympus posted: