Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah, I don’t think people here really like it enough (because it’s not very good)

I thought it was quite good, I really like it! What's the complaint?

What's hilarious and confusing is I'm from Chicago, and they occasionally (frequently) make references that are not good or do not make sense. I think they showed a shot of all the main characters together walking on the street with a streetcar in the background, we have no streetcars.

It's not a 10/10 or 9/10 or anything like that but it's hella enjoyable storytelling and decent writing. The acting is the high point to me with Bateman and all the other supporting people.

The worst part is terrible suspension of disbelief, which I personally don't care a lot about. Every episode or multiple times an episode there are plot directions which have giant holes.

Yes it's a Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul also-ran, but it's well done and original enough to make it worth watching IMHO.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I feel like you pretty much covered all my complaints! Except the godawful lighting.

It is surprisingly watchable for such a bad show but it’s still p. bad. It’s a show I only put on when I’m doing other things. Sometimes I barely even look at the screen (not that I’d be able to see anything anyway lolol).

There’s a couple other people who post in here who watch it and enjoy it well enough, at least.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Boba is terrible, worse than Hawkeye and that's saying something.

Hawkeye was the second best Marvel show behind Loki though.

Loki
Hawkeye
Wandavision
FWS (would have been above Wanda if it wasn't for that awful final with a Pepsi commercial speech. Wanda had a very bad final that justified mind rape of a villain, but at least dealt with grief in an interesting way for all of five minutes and everyone acted like it was on the same level as a David Lynch show).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LionArcher posted:

Hawkeye was the second best Marvel show behind Loki though.

Loki
Hawkeye
Wandavision
FWS (would have been above Wanda if it wasn't for that awful final with a Pepsi commercial speech. Wanda had a very bad final that justified mind rape of a villain, but at least dealt with grief in an interesting way for all of five minutes and everyone acted like it was on the same level as a David Lynch show).

yeah it's pretty grim I agree

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

bull3964 posted:

Pennyworth is really weird in that it's giving a backstory to a character that explains why he's a low key badass by the time Batman is around while at the same time creating a world that doesn't seem like Batman (at least any of the mainstream incarnations) would fit into.

Allegedly, it takes place in the same universe as Gotham.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Google Butt posted:

Boba is terrible, worse than Hawkeye and that's saying something.

Yeah but his lines this week were a lot closer to the iconic Boba of the movies.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It says a lot about how little happened on Loki, that an alligator with a helmet was the thing that everyone paid attention to. Plus Richard E Grant had a two minute speech that was better than anything else on the show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Loki ruled, people were into the alligator because it was funny

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Regarding the newest episode of Boba Fett, is this the first time we have seen a ringworld in any kind of live action tv or movie?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Edward Mass posted:

Allegedly, it takes place in the same universe as Gotham.

well, I’m sold! Gotham was loving ridiculous and I loved it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished the first season of Succession. Great show, incredible acting, excellent production values, compelling viewing.... but Jesus loving Christ I was praying that Roman's stupid loving satellite could somehow crash into the castle and they'd all die horribly. What awful, awful, awful, awful, awful people they all are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep they’re gigantic pieces of poo poo. But oh BOY have you not even seen the best of the show yet. Or the worst they can be.

Resident Alien is back! Nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally made the Euphoria thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992028

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Do you browse by bookmark? How do you feel about kickstarted TV shows? Adult Animation? Adapting Dungeons and Dragons into an animated medium? Check out Legends of Vox Machina when it drops publicly at Midnight PST tonight on Prime Video and then post about it in a brand new, probably unnecessary thread!

Geeky press outlets (and also NPR, which I suppose didn't need to be called out separately) really like it- 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished the first season of Succession. Great show, incredible acting, excellent production values, compelling viewing.... but Jesus loving Christ I was praying that Roman's stupid loving satellite could somehow crash into the castle and they'd all die horribly. What awful, awful, awful, awful, awful people they all are.
The horribleness of everyone made me bounce off before finishing season 1 but then Trump caught Covid and brought back to mind the scenes of them all waiting around impotently after Logan's stroke made me dive back in. No regrets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never listened to/watched Critical Role (unless you’re the McElroys, I don’t have an interest in your tabletop sessions) but I’ve heard enough good things about it that I’m gonna check this show out.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm super curious for the response of people coming to it fresh! Early reviews have it leaning too hard into gratuitous gore and sex at the start but hitting its stride afrer the first couple episodes.

I heard about CR as a podcast with a 600 hour (at the time) backlog and thought that was fantastic as an option to fall asleep to for the next year instead of Arrowverse with a sleep timer. Backlog went quick.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The trailers look absolutely awful but it’s not like anyone else is making d&d themed shows right now that aren’t isekais, so I’ll give it a go for sure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

Regarding the newest episode of Boba Fett, is this the first time we have seen a ringworld in any kind of live action tv or movie?

I think so, although in Star Wars terms the idea was almost included in Revenge of the Sith and they drew concept art of it which I'm sure inspired this episode. It is funny that according to the subtitles it's spelled "ring world" with a space, which I wonder is a pre-emptive attempt to avoid litigation from Larry Niven over Ringworld.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

Do you browse by bookmark? How do you feel about kickstarted TV shows? Adult Animation? Adapting Dungeons and Dragons into an animated medium? Check out Legends of Vox Machina when it drops publicly at Midnight PST tonight on Prime Video and then post about it in a brand new, probably unnecessary thread!

I'm a sucker for fantasy so I'm going to give this a shot, but the trailers have turned me off so much. It seems to be leaning hard on the lazy tedious "swearing/edginess = funny" school of comedy which I just can't stand. One review I read said that they eventually let up a bit on that so I have hope, but wonder if I'll be able to push my way through to get to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parrot Analyitics, one of those streaming Nielsen outfits, claimed last week that Peacemaker was the top streaming show in the world. I'm always skeptical of those numbers, but the fact that HBO is apparently developing a second SS spinoff series with Gunn would seem to confirm them.

quote:

“We’re working on something else now, another TV show that’s connected to that universe,” Gunn told us, “I can’t quite say.”

Peacemaker John Cena
In addition, Gunn says about a second season of Peacemaker, which recently dropped episode 5 today, “There’s a really good chance of that.”

“We’re the biggest show in the world right now,” Gunn continued, speaking from the set of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in Atlanta.

Also Peacock reported $1.8b in losses for the year :yikes:

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 27, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If they're smart it is probably a Vigilante spin off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Man I hope so.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Or maybe it's a Ratcatcher 2 spin-off which I'm hoping for just so I can see the inevitable bug nuts reaction back in Portugal.

Seriously, when Daniela Ruah was cast in NCIS Los Angeles, the country lost its drat mind. I think to this day every single ad for that show only shows her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope it's a show about Javelin.

He got better :v:

Alternate option: Weasel spinoff

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
For people that get regular commercials, Resident Alien came back last night and is off to a good start.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just checked and it looks like Peacock fixed their last year mistake of holding back Resident Alien episodes for a full month after airing and are now doing next day. That may actually get me to subscribe to Peacock for a bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I just checked and it looks like Peacock fixed their last year mistake of holding back Resident Alien episodes for a full month after airing and are now doing next day. That may actually get me to subscribe to Peacock for a bit.

Meanwhile the service over here that was putting the episodes up next day for s1 isn’t for s2 :(

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Has there ever been a spin-off of a spin-off before?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

NCIS is a spin-off of JAG and has since had its own spin-offs

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

Florence (Marla Gibbs) got a short lived spin off from The Jeffersons, which spun off from All In the Family

Florence probably killed only slightly fewer people than Vigilante

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

AfterMASH and Trapper John, MD were spun off of the tv adaptation of MASH.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And The Zeta Project was a spinoff of Batman Beyond, which was spun off of Batman The Animated Series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zeta project deserved more episodes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

Florence (Marla Gibbs) got a short lived spin off from The Jeffersons, which spun off from All In the Family

Florence probably killed only slightly fewer people than Vigilante

There's also a much more well known spin off of the Jeffersons...

Also the show about the doctor that lived next to the Golden Girls spun off into a show about the nurses at his hospital. It was called Nurses.

Laverne and Shirley is probably technically most successfull spun off spin off but Happy Days is a spinoff only in the sense that its pilot was one of the episodes of Love American Style.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I went back and tried to watch Zeta assuming it had the same animation quality as Batman Beyond, like it did in my memory.

Woof. That show looks rough.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I put on As We See It, the new Amazon drama about autistic people. Not my normal kind of thing, but... Way more engaging than I expected. Very quickly makes you sympathize and root for all of them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that the new Lord and Miller show, The Afterparty drops soon on Apple TV+. The show focuses on a high school reunion where one of the attendees dies and each episode is retelling the same events from a different character's perspective and as such each episode is in a different style as the teller colors events.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hope Apple is dropping that one all at once but they probably aren’t.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Watched the season 2 premiere of Resident Alien. I think I'm going to have to tap out from what was a promising pilot and premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope Apple is dropping that one all at once but they probably aren’t.

they dropped the first 3 episodes just now. Watching after I play some more horizon zero Dawn.