Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Edi steals the show in tbe second season of VP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

hell i wouldn't mind seeing their take on boogie nights.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

not that boogie nights needs a remake obviously given its a perfect film

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Doronin posted:

I watched the first two eps last night, and holy poo poo. I am probably going to tear through Vice Principals in no time.

I'd absolutely watch this cast recreate the entire Burt Reynolds catalog of movies in that era. White Lightning, Gator, Hooper (although Hot Rod wasn't terribly far off from Hooper)... so much to choose from. Not sure about Deliverance, but I'd probably watch that too in spite of how wildly problematic it would be.

As for Big Enos, I think you'd have to go John Goodman there. All he'd have to do is reprise one of his Cohen Brother roles (Big Dan Teague, especially) and nail it. For Buford T. Justice, I think you'd have to get someone to do a different spin on that totally because Gleason made that role so iconic.

that's a good point, going a totally different way with Justice probably would make the most sense

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The sauce dribbling out of Keefe’s mouth when he’s going to town on low-carb snacks. :discourse:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

loving the costume work, just a stellar job

https://i.imgur.com/1CJXMxc.gifv

Aww poo poo now I subscribe to "Kelvin is asexual and just has no clue how he comes off to people" theory

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mameluke posted:

Aww poo poo now I subscribe to "Kelvin is asexual and just has no clue how he comes off to people" theory

I've been on this train since Season 1.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Kelvin's ambiguity is where the comedy comes from. If they ever actually confirm anything outright it would ruin the mystique.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He can't be too asexual if he's yankin off to Judy in the privacy of his bedroom.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing I love about Edi Patterson as Judy is the physicality of her performance. Judy moves like an awkward teen trying to play at being a mature adult, everything is slightly off and also very performative.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing I love about Edi Patterson as Judy is the physicality of her performance. Judy moves like an awkward teen trying to play at being a mature adult, everything is slightly off and also very performative.

Yeah, she's perfect at it.

I think I mentioned it before, but when the three of them are at each other, like right before they entered Thaniel's place, they really do seem like siblings. Great work all around.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, it was not funny AT ALL the first couple episodes (snip)

Episode 2 is when Roman started sitting in chairs the most awkward ways possible and that's when I decided the show was worth sticking with.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

The investment with the Lissons is 100% a scam, right?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't tell if they're in the hole with a cartel and need the money or if they are just grifters that want the money

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m leaning towards the former. But yes, it’s very obviously a scam. At least I think it is.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Nothing like that gets planned in Florida without being a front or a scam, so that's my feeling, too.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It’s got a lot in common with how the cartels own most of the resorts down in Mexico in certain areas too. They obviously use them mostly for money laundering but also to sell drugs to tourists as a small side hustle.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah that was a nice detail that they were going to kill endangered sea turtles to make the timeshare

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dew worm posted:

The investment with the Lissons is 100% a scam, right?

not necessarily, but the lissons may themselves be exceeding their reach with this entire plan. real estate development is expensive as hell and something on the scale of zion's landing is going to be far, far outside of the resources the lissons can muster. the fact that they're having to hit up wealthy individuals for investment instead of getting actual real estate partners demonstrates that the lissons are actually small-timers, and that they can't even rope jesse gemstone, manchild mark, into the project reinforces the clear limits of their ambitions

if it smells scammy, this is a show about how american protestantism gleefully indulges in scamming and financially predatory behavior. its all a vortex of scamming and being scammed. personally i think the lissons, or mostly just lyle lisson, is aiming way too high in his sincere desire to become a wealthy tycoon, when ultimately he's just a showman huckster

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh yeah that was a nice detail that they were going to kill endangered sea turtles to make the timeshare

there are many beaches in florida where development has to conform to sea turtle protection regulations. the problem is that bright artificial light can gently caress with turtles coming on or off the beach at night, especially during turtle egg hatching season. local laws can require hooded or low-intensity lights outdoors, a mandate on preventing light from getting out by enforcing curtains to be drawn, and other light pollution regulations which are firmly enforced - cops will walk down the beach at night looking at beachside resorts full of tourists and you WILL get ticketed for repeated violations of light ordinances. its an actual big deal they don't gently caress around with

this isn't to say that sufficient money can't get around these restrictions, but lyle lisson definitely doesn't have that kind of money to throw around

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Of course it's a scam, it's a time share scheme

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's obviously a scam, it's just a question of degrees. Are they planning on throwing together some kind of lovely barebones resort or do they just stonewall and pretend to be tied up with red tape or do they take the money and run?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s inherently a scam because a life following Jesus is incompatible from huge resort vacations. (‘Give up everything you own, take up a cross and follow me’ isn’t compatible with 99% of things we see on the show.)

It’s possible the Lissens want a lot of money, they could be good-natured but used to GOD GIVEN success. Knocking people over with the power of prayer has got to warp your ego.

So it’s a scam but the question, is who’s the mark?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Robobot posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…

Nailed em! Do you write for the show?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Really thought the internet had evolved beyond basic hot takes into psychic vampires.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

With how established their church is I don't think the Lissons would just take the money and run, leaving that income source. I think its one of those situations where they will do just the bare bones neccesary to say they are doing things while pocketing the rest. I also wouldn't be surprised they are getting scammed themselves, as previous posters have mentioned its scams all the way down.

Now if they were like Baby Billy, a traveling grifter that doesn't stay in one place, I would 100% say they would take the money and disappear. They seem too established to pull that off.

I'll put the hot take out there that they need this money to pay back taxes to the IRS since they hosed up some paperwork and lost the tax exempt status.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I need to rewatch but a lot of the language the Lissons use is that of a MLM scheme

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hope the Lissons are Joel Osteen style shitlords who are just straight up grifters. One thing I've been disappointed about this show is that the Gemstones might be grifting their congregation, but it doesn't seem like they've done lovely things to the community like Joel Osteen has. The Gemstones are making lots of money off their followers, but they do seem to genuinely think they are serving Jesus or whatever.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope the Lissons are Joel Osteen style shitlords who are just straight up grifters. One thing I've been disappointed about this show is that the Gemstones might be grifting their congregation, but it doesn't seem like they've done lovely things to the community like Joel Osteen has. The Gemstones are making lots of money off their followers, but they do seem to genuinely think they are serving Jesus or whatever.

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. They definitely don't feel bad taking the money, but (unless I'm forgetting something) we've never seen Eli act like he looks down on his congregation or try to figure out how to get more money out of them, etc.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think part of it is a genuine love of pageantry

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. They definitely don't feel bad taking the money, but (unless I'm forgetting something) we've never seen Eli act like he looks down on his congregation or try to figure out how to get more money out of them, etc.

A big part of it is how the Gemstones actually believe in Christianity, and not just doing it as part of a grift. Like in season 1 when Eli threw and broke that little Jesus statue and all the kids FREAKED out

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that they drink their own koolaid makes the show so much better and more like-able than if they were fully aware of what a grift they were running.

I don't know any megachurch pastors but that feels more real to me than someone who is laughing all of the way to the bank. I imagine those guys do all sorts of mental gymnastics irl to convince themselves they are doing the lord's work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree that the show is probably better that the Gemstones really believe all the stuff they are saying. A show that was nothing but them arching their fingers and laughing at the rubes would suck. I just want to see some of that kind of stuff happen with the Lissons because it does seem like most real televangelism is just a straight up grift. From people writing prayer cards and the pastor having an ear piece and magically hearing the prayers, to saying that the lord said the pastor needs a private jet, to refusing to bring in people affected by one of the most costly hurricanes in history and then being bullied into letting them in, and then having the balls to pass a collection plate around the refugees.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Agree completely. Even Danny McBride has talked about the show working so well because it's not a low-hanging fruit knock on religious people and the common stereotypes that get thrown around. The show is about a dysfunctional rich family, the religion is more backdrop and setting that allows the writers to create amazing comedy.

As soon as they turn Eli into a scheming crime boss I'd probably stop watching the show.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
If I had to guess, I think Danny McBride and/or John Goodman must have been as intrigued by the legend of Reverend Jimmy Swaggart as I was growing up. The guy was cousins with Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis, and allegedly bragged to people, and I'm paraphrasing, "I've made 10 times more than my cousin ever made and never paid a dime of taxes on it." Every choice that's made with the Eli character is very similar to Swaggart and his TV ministries of the 70s and 80s.

It didn't really dawn on me how similar the comparison was until Eli's kids kept giving him poo poo about "chasing skirts" and referencing prostitutes, because that's ultimately what caused Swaggart's real-life downfall.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The Gemstones absolutely believe in Christianity, but so do most grifter preachers because they just rationalize away the parts that are inconvenient. I'm pretty sure most preachers, no matter how scummy, genuinely believe. They also believe that they are on a personal first name basis with God and have no problem taking a poo poo ton of liberties with everything Christianity is supposed to stand for and that they are special and unique in a way no one else can be. Eli definitely scams the hell out of his congregation, when the reporter walks into the church he sees all the ways the church is making money from the flock beyond the tithing. Going back to season one, the most dangerous aspect of the small time preachers to Eli is that they are humble men who live the life a preacher is supposed to live.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm starting to wonder if Eli always has been good and just gets roped into doing bad things. He doesn't seem to look back longingly for the days that he was breaking thumbs for the mob guy. With how lovely Baby Billy is, I wonder if maybe Aimee Leigh was also kind of lovely but put on airs as being a good person. Maybe she was the one who convinced Eli to do the whole mega church thing. Especially since Eli's father seems to have raised him somewhat right with the "all you need for a church is four walls and a bible" comment.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m pretty sure Eli likes being rich as poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ithle01 posted:

Going back to season one, the most dangerous aspect of the small time preachers to Eli is that they are humble men who live the life a preacher is supposed to live.

If he is able to recognize that a real preacher should live a humble life, he is streets head of any other televangelist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
One more show theory: I also don't believe for a second that Lyle Lisson's parents just "stepped aside." Maybe they let Lyle and his wife be the face of the church, but I'd bet near the end we find out they're just as much under their parents' thumbs as Jesse and co. (no pun intended... unless I accidentally stumbled on some convoluted metaphorical theme of this season).