Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

If she does, she should team up with Johnny and join Eagle Fang.

What's Hillary Swank been up to anyways?

She has an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

She will show up on a video call. Like Wesley Snipes's cameo on What We Do In the Shadows.

e: part or the international vampiric karate council.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Rhyno posted:

She has an Oscar.

She has 2, but TBF Pat Morita almost won an Oscar for the first Karate Kid. "Prestige" is a weird beast.

And I don't know if Oscar wins 15+ years ago mean she's too good to be in this stupid Netflix show. Winning an Oscar doesn't rocket you to S-tier forever, hence the existences of Adrien Brody or Renee Zellweger or Russell Crow. Or Kevin Spacey, but you know...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We did at one time think Elisabeth Shue would never show up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

We did at one time think Elisabeth Shue would never show up.

She didn't win an Oscar.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Swank was in some lovely Netflix sci-fi show I remember watching a year or two ago, something about a mission to Mars iirc, so she definitely has been willing to do TV stuff (and for Netflix, no less).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

She didn't win an Oscar.
No, but she was nominated for Leaving Las Vegas and came within spitting distance of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Second place is the first loser.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BiggerBoat posted:

If she does, she should team up with Johnny and join Eagle Fang.

What's Hillary Swank been up to anyways?

She had a solid fight scene in the Hunt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Carrie Underwood is the most famous person to be on CK by a mile. I don’t think Swank winning an Oscar 17 years ago will make her turn up her nose at a show this popular.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rhyno posted:

She has an Oscar.

She hasn't been in anything worth a poo poo for a long time now. There's a good chance she'll make an appearance.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
But I never watched The Next Karate Kid and will be lost if they bring her character in. Do…do I have to watch that movie now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robobot posted:

But I never watched The Next Karate Kid and will be lost if they bring her character in. Do…do I have to watch that movie now?

Okay, short version - Miyagi runs into the wife of an old war buddy who for reasons I forget has him watch her house and her troubled grandkid or niece or whatever Julie, Swank's character. Naturally Miyagi immediately tries teaching her karate in his way but she is extremely uninterested in waxing his car to learn muscle memory. Sadly at her high school are the 'Alpha Elite' which are... kind of like ROTC crossed with hall monitors as they undergo fight training (from their coach, Michael Ironsides) and mostly snitch on other students. It's very odd. The leader is of the Elite is one Ned, which is what happens when you splice the DNA from Johnny and Mike Barnes, make a baby with it, and then drop it on its head. Julie runs afoul of Ned while bonding with one member of the Elite who isn't as much of a dick and agrees to learn karate from Miyagi. Very little happens. They nurse an injured hawk back to health and set it free for symbolism. It all comes to a head at the big dance with the Elite bungie jumping in and Julie and Mr. Miyagi have a confrontation on the docks with Ned and Michael Ironsides. Both fights are over in roughly a minute and a half, which might be the total time. They visit a Buddhist monastery at one point and Miyagi catches an arrow with his hands.

It is sadly not even so bad its good in that way KK3 is, as Michael Ironsides is playing his normal character which is great but does not add as much things to a terrible story like a coked up TIG does.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Dawgstar posted:

They visit a Buddhist monastery at one point and Miyagi catches an arrow with his hands.

I get a laugh out of the Buddhists at the bowling alley scene, at least! May be the only thing worthwhile in that flick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Alpha Elite were really ridiculous even by Cobra Kai standards. An American public school let some guy--I don't know if he was even a teacher--train a squad of literal blackshirts to be the School Police and beat up their fellow students for littering and cutting class. This has extremely predictable results. It's the kind of insanity you usually only see at American private schools.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I completely forgot KK4 existed and was confused by all the Swank chat

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

The Alpha Elite were really ridiculous even by Cobra Kai standards. An American public school let some guy--I don't know if he was even a teacher--train a squad of literal blackshirts to be the School Police and beat up their fellow students for littering and cutting class. This has extremely predictable results. It's the kind of insanity you usually only see at American private schools.

It is very unclear whether Michael Ironsides is even like a gym coach or something. He just... has this little paramilitary group at school, like you do.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I never questioned the movie's logic on that. Michael Ironside seems like the kind of guy who could just show up to any high school and muster up a paramilitary force in a few weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PizzaProwler posted:

I never questioned the movie's logic on that. Michael Ironside seems like the kind of guy who could just show up to any high school and muster up a paramilitary force in a few weeks.

Who's going to argue with Michael Ironside?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The suburbs of Los Angeles are a perpetual karate battleground, of course Hilary Swank will show up. She knows karate does she not?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

It is very unclear whether Michael Ironsides is even like a gym coach or something. He just... has this little paramilitary group at school, like you do.

Hey, it happens.

https://www.lessonplanmovie.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dawgstar posted:

These are their uniforms:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The only thing I remember from that movie is Hilary Swank dancing to the Cranberries and then some monks join her?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think she jumps over a car

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Retrowave Joe posted:

The only thing I remember from that movie is Hilary Swank dancing to the Cranberries and then some monks join her?
She does a sit-down kata to a Cranberries song, if memory serves. At, like, a waterfall?

I remember, because I dragged my mom to that flick because I was so stoked that a girl could be The Karate Kid and that's the only scene that didn't absolutely embarrass me.

And again, if memory serves, by the end of it, even that scene had.

So, maybe I want Swank back so bad to wash the taste out of my mouth. I didn't even re-watch that flick when I watched 1, 2, and 3 in the run-up to Cobra Kai.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finn Jones is more likely to show up.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is it ever outright stated that Miguel's dad is "bad"? I thought it was just stated that he was engaged in illegal activities, so I'm expecting a subversion of expectations where he's presented as good and cool.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say he helps people cross the border into the USA. He's sacrificing his own relationship with his family in order to reunite other families. Hopefully he beats up some ICE thugs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:rolleyes:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm :rolleyes:ing your :rolleyes:.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

Is it ever outright stated that Miguel's dad is "bad"? I thought it was just stated that he was engaged in illegal activities, so I'm expecting a subversion of expectations where he's presented as good and cool.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say he helps people cross the border into the USA. He's sacrificing his own relationship with his family in order to reunite other families. Hopefully he beats up some ICE thugs.

It's pretty clear Miguel's mom wanted to get away from him and disagreed with what he was doing.

Also, he doesn't even know he has a son, so there's that too.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

pentyne posted:

It's pretty clear Miguel's mom wanted to get away from him and disagreed with what he was doing.

Also, he doesn't even know he has a son, so there's that too.

Is there any character from Karate Kid that hasn't been referenced who might be Miguel's dad?

I don't see Mike Barnes hanging out in Mexico City, but you never no.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Who's going to argue with Michael Ironside?

harley Quinn, apparently

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

YoursTruly posted:

Ooof. While I do think there is a chance his dad won't be a mustache twirling drug dealing cartel enforcer, I really don't think they'll have him beat up ICE or be some sort of Robin Hood of human trafficking. I honestly have no idea how you would even think this show would go in that direction to be honest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because having one of your Mexican characters be in the cartel or whatever is kind of gross and it'd be cool if they didn't do the gross thing.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Unless I'm mistaken on when/where Miguel's mother and father met, I assume he'd be Ecuadorian.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Miguel's dad being Mike Barnes is the best idea I've heard and makes perfect sense for this So-cal karate soap opera.

There's a million reasons and ways you can script explaining why he had to haul rear end to and lives in Mexico for some reason. So right there you have a way to introduce him, a built in karate connection and another layer of weird rivalry with Johnny, Eagle Fang, Cobra Kai, Daniel and Miguel to put another slice of delicious melodramatic cheese on top of this ridiculous karate-burger we all love.

Count me in as loving that idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Miguel's dad should be a masked Luchador and they never take the mask off.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dawgstar posted:

Okay, short version - Miyagi runs into the wife of an old war buddy who for reasons I forget has him watch her house and her troubled grandkid or niece or whatever Julie, Swank's character. Naturally Miyagi immediately tries teaching her karate in his way but she is extremely uninterested in waxing his car to learn muscle memory. Sadly at her high school are the 'Alpha Elite' which are... kind of like ROTC crossed with hall monitors as they undergo fight training (from their coach, Michael Ironsides) and mostly snitch on other students. It's very odd. The leader is of the Elite is one Ned, which is what happens when you splice the DNA from Johnny and Mike Barnes, make a baby with it, and then drop it on its head. Julie runs afoul of Ned while bonding with one member of the Elite who isn't as much of a dick and agrees to learn karate from Miyagi. Very little happens. They nurse an injured hawk back to health and set it free for symbolism. It all comes to a head at the big dance with the Elite bungie jumping in and Julie and Mr. Miyagi have a confrontation on the docks with Ned and Michael Ironsides. Both fights are over in roughly a minute and a half, which might be the total time. They visit a Buddhist monastery at one point and Miyagi catches an arrow with his hands.

It is sadly not even so bad its good in that way KK3 is, as Michael Ironsides is playing his normal character which is great but does not add as much things to a terrible story like a coked up TIG does.

I am absolutely certain I watched that movie in the 90s, and I have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever other than it existed.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

Because having one of your Mexican characters be in the cartel or whatever is kind of gross and it'd be cool if they didn't do the gross thing.

But having him be a Coyote isn’t gross? C’mon now, you just want to see border cops get beat up. And to be fair that’s always entertaining, but I don’t think the show is going to go in either of those directions. At worst he’ll just be a thief or something. He might even just be a regular guy who had a crazy early adulthood and doesn’t get why karate is so important to this kid claiming to be his son.

Or it could be Mike Barnes and we all win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Miguel's dad will move to the valley to try and support his son, see the insanity that is the karate based economy and team up with Daniel's wife to put and end to all of it