Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Customers are never that bad to deal with, and seeing people hyperbolically vent about their struggles of having to answer basic questions or show someone where something is is mostly just sad

99% of our customers are fine-to-good, but the 1% can be soul crushingly bad, like the woman who calls every week trying to buy a book by RFK Jr about how Anthony Fauci is evil, or the Proud Boy who came into the store, or the (admittedly much less actively evil) people who steal so much anime merchandise that we had to start storing it behind the register

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

99% of our customers are fine-to-good, but the 1% can be soul crushingly bad, like the woman who calls every week trying to buy a book by RFK Jr about how Anthony Fauci is evil, or the Proud Boy who came into the store, or the (admittedly much less actively evil) people who steal so much anime merchandise that we had to start storing it behind the register

they're only harming themselves

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Canadians are more polite than friendly, and the ones from BC aren't even that.

Canada is cool, but would be way more interesting if 90% of its national identity wasn't "we're not the US". Be your own thing Canada, ffs.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Canada is cool, but would be way more interesting if 90% of its national identity wasn't "we're not the US".

And honestly it doesnt really succeed at that either

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hell yeah, keep segregation in the US alive

Chloe Jessica posted:

backtracking from modern technology would drastically reduce the available options for trans people and also utterly destroy the quality of life of disabled people

primitivism of any stripe is ableist, queerphobic, and profoundly stupid

Shhh they all like being centrist cis het weirdos in this thread, don't upset the careful balance of cishet posters repeatedly driving queer posters out of the thread with dumbass arguments :ssh:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I think threads should be closed before they've reached 1000 pages because they are too unwieldy.

Preemptively, I think people whose post count per page is set to something other than 40 just want to be special.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No all the best threads have been around for decade like the logh thread

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

after this thousandth page let's stick to completely serious societal reorganization ideas please

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

Shhh they all like being centrist cis het weirdos in this thread, don't upset the careful balance of cishet posters repeatedly driving queer posters out of the thread with dumbass arguments :ssh:

Do you actually do anything other than complain

Like is it your irl job or just an an internet thing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Maple Leaf State is fine just the way it is

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tiggum posted:

Why would we want to go back to an objectively worse technology? If I have the choice to listen to the radio, or the stream of the exact same radio station, I'm picking the stream every time. The audio quality is better and it doesn't fade out or go staticky if I dare to move slightly.

"App" is not a new word. There was an "Apps" menu on the first MS-DOS computer I ever used (in the early '90s). It's just short for "application".

Phones have never been fine. The reason everyone texts instead of phoning now is because phoning has always been a loving nightmare that we only put up with when there's no better option.

To phone someone, you've got to be comfortable with interrupting whatever they're doing while having no way of knowing what that is. When your phone rings you've got to stop whatever you're doing and answer it because you've got no way of knowing whether the call is important or not. It's a massive imposition. And that's before you even get to the difficulties of poor audio quality and lack of visual making miscommunication far more likely, and the awkwardness of having to hold a lump of plastic up to your head the entire time you're talking.

People don't avoid phoning now because they're alienated or suffering from excessive anxiety or any of the other stupid reasons people put forward. People avoid phoning because talking on the phone is loving terrible.

Social media isn't conceptually bad. Having convenient ways to talk to and share things with friends and family is actually great. It's just that there's no easy way to profit from that so social media companies have to incentivise other uses and make it as difficult as possible to only use social media in positive ways.

It means "Although I invest no time or effort in thinking about you, you think about me constantly."

Yeah

The reason for all of these things being bad is literally just "Capitalism". Medical technology has got so, so much better, it's bad because the entire profit side of it is hosed. Software development could be extremely good and software systems could be extremely good, had the field not had half of its work patented, copyrighted, and held by private companies, and the other half created purely for profit.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do you actually do anything other than complain

Like is it your irl job or just an an internet thing

Do you? I've never seen you outside of this thread :tinfoil:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

Do you? I've never seen you outside of this thread :tinfoil:

I complain constantly

It is my entire personality so this is the logical place for me

I don't complain professionally per se but I do complain a lot at work and I technically get paid for that time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also the whole thing of "technology not society" is hilarious. The entire second half of the 20th century and what we have seen of the 21st century has been a lesson that you cannot take science, technology, etc. in a vacuum. Social ideas put a constraint on what people can think of, and there are hundreds of huge, infamous mathematical, technological, etc. ideas that have been hampered or suppressed by the constraints of societal lens and capitalist greed

Repeat after me: You cannot solve social problems with technology. You cannot solve social problems with technology. You cannot solve social problems with technology.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I complain constantly

It is my entire personality so this is the logical place for me

I don't complain professionally per se but I do complain a lot at work and I technically get paid for that time

Good for you! :)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I bet a replicator would solve a few

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waste of Breath posted:

Preemptively, I think people whose post count per page is set to something other than 40 just want to be special.

You can change your post count per page? I had no idea. I'm not going to do it, but wow.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

alexandriao posted:

Yeah

The reason for all of these things being bad is literally just "Capitalism". Medical technology has got so, so much better, it's bad because the entire profit side of it is hosed. Software development could be extremely good and software systems could be extremely good, had the field not had half of its work patented, copyrighted, and held by private companies, and the other half created purely for profit.

I posit that those things are good because capitalism drives them to innovate.

*pulls pin from grenade and drops it in middle of the thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

alexandriao posted:

Please tell me you didn't think my "stop all technology at the polio vaccine" and "computers are a heresy" posts were genuine.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread is the front line of the SA forums culture war, there's an entire anime discord server furiously jamming their F5 keys to own the secret Nazis as we speak

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know who needs to hear this but disliking the metric system is a dogwhistle for crypto-fascism and furthermore 1/34

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If I don’t like a post it was made by a centrist.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean most of the opinions here seem to be dull and based on nothing more than the gut feelings of middle manager types. Which I suppose is its own u popular opinion.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you aren't living your life by the republican calendar you're fash trash

seven days a week, lmao, get rational

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

Customers are never that bad to deal with, and seeing people hyperbolically vent about their struggles of having to answer basic questions or show someone where something is is mostly just sad

A decade ago and some change ago, I spent a year working at Gamestop, and I had to deal with the following people:

-A woman who wanted the new Zelda game on the 'Nintendo Advance' for her son. This was in 2010. I tried to explain to her that there wasn't a new Zelda game out, and that Nintendo wasn't making new games for the Game Boy Advance anymore. She demanded for a solid ten minutes that she didn't want the new Zelda on the Game Boy Advance, she wanted it on the Nintendo Advance, and it had just came out and why would her son lie about it to her?
-A married couple that would take turns coming in every other day with a stack of stolen game discs from Wal-Mart's cheap game bin. They would slice the games open, steal the discs, and literally just walk out of Wal-Mart carrying them across the parking lot to our store. They wanted to trade them in for cash and we couldn't deny them that or accuse them of stealing them, even when we stood there and watched them carrying them out of Wal-Mart.
-A man who called the store on Black Friday to ask for the trade-in value for his wife, she's a nice lady who can cook and clean real good so he was expecting a good value for her. I chuckled and joked around with him for a minute and then when I asked if there was anything he actually needed that I could help with, he blew the hell up on me and demanded to speak to the manager.
-Some college kid who brought in a duffel bag full of consoles and games to trade-in. The PS2 had cockroaches in it and when I opened most of the PS2 cases to check the game discs, each one hit me with a wave of stale cigarette smoke scent.

Customers suck and I feel terrible for anyone stuck working in retail that has to deal with them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm an Anarcho-Monarchist

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I only eat cis-het food :cool:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I mean most of the opinions here seem to be dull and based on nothing more than the gut feelings of middle manager types. Which I suppose is its own u popular opinion.

I work retail for twelve dollars an hour

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

I only eat cis-het food :cool:

So is that like Cheetos and Mountain Dew or...?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I work retail for twelve dollars an hour

Middle manager mindsets exist in every level of society. Its also most opinions here, not all. I also didn't quote you bud, this wasn't addressed to you in particular. I hope that your job pays you more if you like it, or you get a more fun job if you don't like it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

christmas boots posted:

So is that like Cheetos and Mountain Dew or...?

Nah it's a running list of foods mentioned on the joe rogan experience

So mostly mdma and protein supplements

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Opinions I don’t like are both centrist and middle manager mindset, got it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

You seem intent on making everything about your opinion. I already said that most of the opinions here seem to be the work of bored/boring middle managers. If you insist that is you even when it's not targeted at you specifically then that is fine.

Who added the emojis to my av?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josef bugman posted:

Am I right that you think the remaining opinions are simply stupid? :saddowns:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

You seem intent on making everything about your opinion. I already said that most of the opinions here seem to be the work of bored/boring middle managers. If you insist that is you even when it's not targeted at you specifically then that is fine.

Who added the emojis to my av?

Buddy I thought that wanting to go back to previous technological states was also stupid, I just think that saying people with stupid opinions I don’t like must be centrist middle managers is stupid

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you post an unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread, it's definitely because you're a nazi or worse, a lib, driving leftist thought out of the thread.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I've spent too much time in D&D. People with opinions I don't like are liberals.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

this thread is the front line of the SA forums culture war, there's an entire anime discord server furiously jamming their F5 keys to own the secret Nazis as we speak

theres probably a discord full of anime girl avatar weirdos that keep track of this thread because every once in a while a different one wanders in here to self-victimize in the fun dumb opinions thread. either that or it's the same person

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

having a big dick is more important than knowing how to use it. raw horsepower trumps fancy penis movements every time

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

To get this thread back on track, I shall reveal what is almost certainly my least popular, most widely-despised opinion:

Breakfast cereal with milk on it is gross. It's much better dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Weetbix with greek yoghurt and green apple is great.