Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LifeSunDeath posted:

I haven't played since before sprayers...wtf is the deal with all this spraying?

Sprayers are brand new as of a couple says ago. Basically there is a new building that will apply a spray to items on a belt that passes through it. This has some real great effects

1. Inputs on a production line that are sprayed will either grant 12.5%/20%/25% free products depending on the quality of spray (or +25%/50%/100% production speed), for a increased power consumption.
2. Fuel that is sprayed produces more power
3. Research cubes that are sprayed produce more research
4. Sprays that are sprayed produce more spray

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ice Fist posted:

Sprayers are brand new as of a couple says ago. Basically there is a new building that will apply a spray to items on a belt that passes through it. This has some real great effects

1. Inputs on a production line that are sprayed will either grant 12.5%/20%/25% free products depending on the quality of spray (or +25%/50%/100% production speed), for a increased power consumption.

Is #4 confirmed? It's not mentioned anywhere that I saw

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

Is #4 confirmed? It's not mentioned anywhere that I saw

I’m getting +22.5% extra product on my Mk3 juice production with all inputs sprayed, according to my assembler.

e: 1 input still has the Mk2 spray on it, other has Mk3. Still waiting for old stuff to cycle through.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m getting +22.5% extra product on my Mk3 juice production with all inputs sprayed, according to my assembler.

I think he's asking if you get more sprays from a proliferator if your spray is sprayed. Which I'm not sure about. I said it as a joke referencing actual production of the spray in an assembler.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I think he's asking if you get more sprays from a proliferator if your spray is sprayed. Which I'm not sure about. I said it as a joke referencing actual production of the spray in an assembler.

Oh ok. In that case, looking at a sprayed spray it says I get an extra number of sprays but doesn’t specify. It also words it a little awkwardly :v:

“Will get an extra number of sprays as proliferator”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ice Fist posted:

LOL awesome

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

It's a hell of a lot more fun than modules; I'm really happy with how they went about it in this game.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ok but what if I quad stack and then spray. Does that use four units of spray or one!?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Truga posted:

my way of dealing with this is to just ignore this fact, then upgrade to mark 2 assemblers ASAP and things fall in place. then never use mark3
By the time you get to mark 3 you should be thoroughly in push territory using logitowers which changes your calculus from worrying about process ratios to how many assemblers can fit to sink or fill a belt attached to the logitowers and then expanding in all directions to fill those logitowers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah once i'm using logi towers it's just inputs tower -> assemblers -> outputs tower so obvs the assembler tier no longer matters

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Well the spars certainly get the little yellow arrow on them, so presumably it works?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Truga posted:

yeah once i'm using logi towers it's just inputs tower -> assemblers -> outputs tower so obvs the assembler tier no longer matters

T3 assemblers are for upgrading your mall installation, more or less. If you use them in Long Lines setups they greatly reduce the line's footprint and while that might be nice if space ever were an issue in DSP it also requires rebuilding a bunch of my blueprints and I can get more space in DSP at the cost of a very small amount of time, but can't get time spent updating blueprints back by any means.

OTOH more assemblers, smelters, and belts are the only things I've ever run out of on IP logistics and had to wait for my one or two mall machines back on the homeworld to grind out more of.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I use mk3 assemblers because why not. The only math I really ever do in this game is "how many of these things do I need to fill a mk3 belt?/how many of these things before I empty a mk3 belt" and that math is easily answered by several calculators online.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Ice Fist posted:

I think it's time for a title change

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dyson Sphere Program: spray the spray to get more spray per spray

I second this motion.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Spray n' Play

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

juice the spray so u can lube more sprays per juice

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LonsomeSon posted:

T3 assemblers are for upgrading your mall installation, more or less. If you use them in Long Lines setups they greatly reduce the line's footprint and while that might be nice if space ever were an issue in DSP it also requires rebuilding a bunch of my blueprints and I can get more space in DSP at the cost of a very small amount of time, but can't get time spent updating blueprints back by any means.

OTOH more assemblers, smelters, and belts are the only things I've ever run out of on IP logistics and had to wait for my one or two mall machines back on the homeworld to grind out more of.
In post scarcity gameplay your biggest investment isn't space directly, its waiting for drones to finish placement. Mk 3 assembler footprint comes in handy there when youre just painting more of everything and you get more stuff out of less clicks and time.

Just build more assembler assemblers (that are also Mk3)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Apart from a few mines, operations are fully shifted over from the starter planet to Eventide, tidally locked generator / forge world:

In retrospect, I probably should have spent some more time teching up on the starter planet before moving over, it would have saved some time in the end. But, the terrain on it was extremely lovely and chasing the no concrete achievement made building there just painful.

AotC
May 16, 2010
Turns out you can spray graviton lenses before you stick them in ray receivers for 60MW per receiver. Finally a reason to use lenses for planets inside spheres.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh now I get why I should have saved all that hydrogen

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh now I get why I should have saved all that hydrogen

It’s boring but laying down a couple 40-sets of gas miners turns your hydrogen problem into one of disposal again, since unlimited offworld hydrogen means you need to set up a priority usage system to ensure that the byproducts of Fire Ice and Crude Oil processing don’t back those installations up.

This can be solved with some splitters and a lot of belt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ice Fist posted:

I can say as a follower of the spray this is all true. Apparently with tier 1 spray, spraying your spray comes out net even (I haven't done the math myself) but with tier 2 and 3 it absolutely is a net positive.

There's also a few recipes that have the caveat that they can't have their production boosted so they switch automatically to speed boost. I don't know all of them but I do know the particle collider recipe for deuterium is one that forces speed (no extra neutrons here), and apparently X-Ray fuel cracking is one as well. I've also heard that unlike the rest of fuel antimatter rods don't burn longer, they burn hotter for a higher max power instead. Haven't tested it out myself though. I will say that spraying a mixture of coal, diamonds and nanotubes on my deuterium cans makes more fusion power for...reasons? Oh also sprayed fuels last longer in the Icarus's fuel chamber.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
At least by that math, you net half a spray per spray if you just have t1.

12*1.125 - 1 = 12.5

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The piler/stacking stuff sounded cool, but now that I have it...what do I practically do with it? It seems very situational since stuff still comes out of assemblers/smelters 1 by 1 and most ratios are only 1:1 or 2:1

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Slickdrac posted:

The piler/stacking stuff sounded cool, but now that I have it...what do I practically do with it? It seems very situational since stuff still comes out of assemblers/smelters 1 by 1 and most ratios are only 1:1 or 2:1

Imo you use it for fractionators, and you use the incidental stacking upgrade from logistics stations to build fewer belts sometimes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wonder how much more efficient it is to spray stacked cargo than to spray cargo one box at a time?

Dr. Stab posted:

Imo you use it for fractionators,

Exactly what I ended up doing. Also for mining ops, since 7-8 miners can pretty much fill whatever belts you’re putting there :v:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I wonder how much more efficient it is to spray stacked cargo than to spray cargo one box at a time?

Exactly what I ended up doing. Also for mining ops, since 7-8 miners can pretty much fill whatever belts you’re putting there :v:

Oh yes, 4-stacked and blue-sprayed hydrogen in fractionators made my deut-production explode. 2% chance per hydrogen and 4x30=120 hydrogen/sec per fractionator. Some loss due to stacks being depleted down the line, but restacking once per loop seems more than adequate.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh yeah, that's true. I guess stacking is better than building a second ILS for a mine, especially when you're just over the line into needing that extra belt.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh yeah, that's true. I guess stacking is better than building a second ILS for a mine, especially when you're just over the line into needing that extra belt.

Granted, once you hit advanced miners they already have a logistics connection, so it's less relevant at that point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Last time I played was before blueprints, what does "spray" refer to?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a new item, and a new building. Make the proliferator liquid at an assembler, add it to items via the Spray Coater. The spray coater sits atop a belt, and is fed from a level 2 belt. It sprays any cargo that passes through it, giving it a benefit whenever it’s used next. The more ingredients that have the spray on them, the better your bonuses are. There are also 3 levels of spray, which give better benefits as you get better stuff. You get either faster production or a free product every so often.

It’s gets recursive as gently caress, but every step of a manufacturing chain can benefit from the proliferator liquid. This includes every step of making the liquid itself, leading to “spray your spray so you can get more spray”.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hey you know how you can put down regular miners around an advanced miner to double mine the materials in the advanced miner's footprint?

Can you belt the regular miners' output into the advanced miner to add it to the advanced miner's logistics stack? I'd check it myself but I've uninstalled.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think so. I made a loop earlier where I was trying to put a storage in-line with the advanced miner, and things would go in the circle miner->storage->back to miner.

I just wanted on-site storage, and ended up adding a logistics station. Now it runs miner->storage->station, so I can have some on-site storage piping straight into the station (without waiting for drones to do it).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Breetai posted:

Hey you know how you can put down regular miners around an advanced miner to double mine the materials in the advanced miner's footprint?

To each their own and everything, but why on Earth would you do this?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

Because you always need more minerals

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ice Fist posted:

To build more miners to mine more ore, of course.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ice Fist posted:

To get more minerals. Same reason you mine multiple patches. Late game, once you have mining productivity research going, you aren't going to deplete patches anymore, so the ore you have available is just a function of how many miners you can place.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Breetai posted:

Can you belt the regular miners' output into the advanced miner to add it to the advanced miner's logistics stack? I'd check it myself but I've uninstalled.

Yes, advanced miners have 9 i/o ports. However, the area the advanced miner mines is itself an object with collision, so it might be tricky to fit normal miners in around it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

totalnewbie posted:

Last time I played was before blueprints, what does "spray" refer to?

cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Shipon posted:

Because you always need more minerals

Dr. Stab posted:

To get more minerals. Same reason you mine multiple patches. Late game, once you have mining productivity research going, you aren't going to deplete patches anymore, so the ore you have available is just a function of how many miners you can place.

Breetai posted:

To build more miners to mine more ore, of course.

This is a "I don't know why I asked" moment but I also know exactly why I asked but I wish I hadn't because this is a factory game and min-maxing mining nodes isn't nearly as weird as some of the things I do purely for aesthetics.