Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tirranek posted:

Seen a lot of talk about chorfs but I have no idea about their army. What's their thing in the TT?

Sort of a dwarf/greenskin hybrid list. The actual chaos dwarfs are heavily armored elite infantry, frequently with gunpowder(one of their more enduring unique traits is units with blunderbusses, which fired in cone spreads on the TT). Their chaff units are enslaved greenskins. They have artillery as well, and access to magic unlike normal dwarfs. Their biggest unique unit were bull centaurs, which are mutated chaos dwarf/bull hybrids that would probably act like monstrous cavalry in the context of Total War, similar to Dragon Ogres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I hope the dwarfs and chaos dwarfs are hardcoded hostile to one another. On that note, are the chaos daemons able to do diplomacy with the non-destruction factions? Didn't really look to see in the promotional stuff/let's plays.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aurubin posted:

I hope the dwarfs and chaos dwarfs are hardcoded hostile to one another. On that note, are the chaos daemons able to do diplomacy with the non-destruction factions? Didn't really look to see in the promotional stuff/let's plays.

Slaanesh's whole campaign gimmick is supposedly centered around subverting people diplomatically.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aurubin posted:

It depends on if they are Slaanesh or not. If not then they are at war with everything outside of other chaos factions. If they are Slaanesh then they can do diplomacy with factions outside of chaos.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tirranek posted:

Seen a lot of talk about chorfs but I have no idea about their army. What's their thing in the TT?

ultra heavy infantry, light skirmishers, cavalry, and massive, massive war machines

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ultra heavy infantry, light skirmishers, cavalry, and massive, massive war machines

Also they have trains, that are also demons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chaos dwarfs are probably the most evil in the setting because they deliberately chose to turn unfettered capitalism into a religion. The fact that the chorfs sometimes become literal monsters themselves only further reinforces the real-world parallel.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hunt11 posted:

It depends on if they are Slaanesh or not. If not then they are at war with everything outside of other chaos factions. If they are Slaanesh then they can do diplomacy with factions outside of chaos.

We who are bathed in the glorious light of Sigmar refuse the entreaties of all the demons from the north, except the purple bitches with the crab claws, they make good points sometimes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And hats, but that's a given.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Eh, Chaos Dwarves were already known to be a 100% lock. The question everyone really wants answered is whether there will be any other nations added, and if so who they'll be.

I'd love to see them do Ind. 'Fantasy India' seems like a blank cheque to go loving nuts in basically any direction they care to go.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I want them to drop Khuresh on us, because holy poo poo crazy Chaos snakemen sound awesome.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did someone say Chorfs

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The new PvP mode seems very cool. It took me a few matches to realize that what it most reminds me of was Dawn of War 2 multiplayer. I hope it becomes the norm.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 28, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like watching Legend but dear god is his chat filled with some of the most insufferable brainlets around

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Anno posted:

The new PvP mode seems very cool. It took me a few matches to realize that what it most reminds me of was Dawn of War 2 multiplayer. I hope it becomes the norm.

It honestly looks much more conducive to utilizing all the different unit types than the standard pitched battle format, and the fact that you have to pick and choose what you bring to the field and your reinforcements come piecemeal means that you have to make very hard choices.

It looks really excellent.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Have I missed something, or is Khorne the only faction that gets Chaos warriors? I really thought each faction would have their own variant of Chaos Warriors. I could have sworn Tzeench had warriors that were dust inside their armor and Nurgle had extra tanky ones and stuff like that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Have I missed something, or is Khorne the only faction that gets Chaos warriors? I really thought each faction would have their own variant of Chaos Warriors. I could have sworn Tzeench had warriors that were dust inside their armor and Nurgle had extra tanky ones and stuff like that.

You're thinking Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines. And at launch Khorne is the only one that gets proper Chaos Warriors (though Tzeentch does get Forsaken), but presumably the other factions will get versions later down the line with various DLC/FLC lords to fill out their rosters.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

AnEdgelord posted:

I like watching Legend but dear god is his chat filled with some of the most insufferable brainlets around

My favorite moron in a Legend stream was a dude a year or two ago who sent a donation with a message asking what's a chad game to play and if GAME JOURNOS hate it, basically giving money asking for a validating high five. And Legend, not being terminally online, was just like, "... What? I don't really get it. But thanks for the donation." Legend is a decent guy, but video games combined with Warhammer brings along a lot of chuds no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEUsbla129E&t=3269s

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

You're thinking Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines. And at launch Khorne is the only one that gets proper Chaos Warriors (though Tzeentch does get Forsaken), but presumably the other factions will get versions later down the line with various DLC/FLC lords to fill out their rosters.

Tzeentch also has doom knights, and Slaanesh has marauders.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

I see, I suppose I'll have to play the Demon Prince if I want to play mostly Tzeentch with chaos warriors. I believe they can unlock units from each faction. Hopefully the non-khorne factions get some kind of warriors soon enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dramicus posted:

I see, I suppose I'll have to play the Demon Prince if I want to play mostly Tzeentch with chaos warriors. I believe they can unlock units from each faction. Hopefully the non-khorne factions get some kind of warriors soon enough.

Tzeentch does have Chaos Knights and Warriors riding Discs of Tzeentch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tzeentch does have Chaos Knights and Warriors riding Discs of Tzeentch.

I know about that, and they are really cool, but I like to play infantry-centric armies. I'm a big fan of having a heavily-armored frontline with supporting units. So I figured Tzeentch would be right down my alley because they have some ranged that I think would work well supporting Chaos Warriors.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, I'd expect any potential gaps to get filled by DLC down the road. That's exactly what happened to the Skaven, for example. They went from kind of abysmal at WH2 launch to one of the most insane, fun, overpowered bullshit factions in the game after their DLCs.

Dramicus posted:

I know about that, and they are really cool, but I like to play infantry-centric armies. I'm a big fan of having a heavily-armored frontline with supporting units. So I figured Tzeentch would be right down my alley because they have some ranged that I think would work well supporting Chaos Warriors.

Everything I've seen of Tzeentch gameplay suggests that their frontline is actually surprisingly tanky. The barrier mechanic the army gets can be buffed, apparently, so it can make units that, on paper, might appear to be defensively weak trade well above their weight. Indypride (milkandcookiestw on YT) used a Soul Grinder to tank pretty much an entire Cathay stack while decimating it with Kairos' magic. Even the blue and pink horrors can hold down a front line longer than you'd expect, though.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 28, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe they'll add them later on, but giving only one side Chaos warriors was clearly more of a design decision than anything else, CA wanted to delineate the various gods by only giving Khorne that standard, heavily armoured frontline.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think Nurgle is the only one that has zero mortals aside from the obligatory cultist

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
They need to remove infinite spellcaster abilities. Legend was fighting a battle today, where he used up his winds of magic on his flying spellcaster to kill the 3 stacks of ranged units, then he spent the next 30 minutes slowly killing the remaining non-ranged units with the infinite special ability.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Gadfly posted:

They need to remove infinite spellcaster abilities. Legend was fighting a battle today, where he used up his winds of magic on his flying spellcaster to kill the 3 stacks of ranged units, then he spent the next 30 minutes slowly killing the remaining non-ranged units with the infinite special ability.

That sounds boring as gently caress, who else is going to want to do that

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

AnEdgelord posted:

I think Nurgle is the only one that has zero mortals aside from the obligatory cultist

Doesn't Nurgle get Forsaken?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

That sounds boring as gently caress, who else is going to want to do that

People will always be willing to do dumb unfun poo poo to win. A big part of game design is making sure the best ways to win are the fun ways, because people will optimize out the fun whenever possible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Gadfly posted:

Nah that’s just Legend.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah that’s just Legend.

Yeah, that's Legend as gently caress. This is the guy who spends however many minutes baiting out all the ammo of the enemy army by zig-zagging his Lord in front of them at the start of EACH AND EVERY loving BATTLE. Legend goes for ultimate cheese strats, pretty much exclusively.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not really a stream watcher to start with, but I can't imagine watching that poo poo over and over again.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I'm not really a stream watcher to start with, but I can't imagine watching that poo poo over and over again.

Legend's entire thing is cheesing mechanics as much as possible, whenever possible. It's partly because he only plays on legendary.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Gonkish posted:

Legend's entire thing is cheesing mechanics as much as possible, whenever possible. It's partly because he only plays on legendary.

This is why I don't play above Hard tbh, it encourages really dumb cheesy behavior in order to get an edge on the buffed AI armies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Azran posted:

Doesn't Nurgle get Forsaken?

yeah I missed those, though in my defense its really easy to forget that forsaken are "mortal" units

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dramicus posted:

It honestly sounds like you really just want to play Khorne. They have a monstrously burly infantry frontline with the powerful supporting elements you want.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Infinite Abilities does kinda sound like something to take another look at but I don't think the best example for that is 'the Australian guy who makes a living breaking the game has broken the game'

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

It honestly sounds like you really just want to play Khorne. They have a monstrously burly infantry frontline with the powerful supporting elements you want.

I really want to play Chaos Dwarves, but you are right, I'll have to make do with Khorne and Chaos Undivided until then.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd love to see them do Ind. 'Fantasy India' seems like a blank cheque to go loving nuts in basically any direction they care to go.

I agree. I'd much rather see Ind than Nippon, although Khuresh is also acceptable.

Getting Dogs of War/Southern Realms has a lot of potential to bring in units from factions that wouldn't otherwise make it, like Araby or Albion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Halflings are part of Dogs of War as well