Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mediaphage posted:

put it in my yard, i'd be fine with it lets go

if they encased the entire internet in impermeable clay and shoved it into a 500m vertical shaft dug into a giant granite formation, I'd be fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Karach posted:

hmm that one got away from me

dont worry about it

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

article is paywalled. anyone got the full text?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

article is paywalled. anyone got the full text?

A federal blueprint for the long-term future of America’s most popular national forest proposes cutting down more trees and reducing protections of old-growth areas, critical “carbon sinks” in battling the climate crisis.

Logging would be set to quadruple in North Carolina’s Pisgah-Nantahala National Forest with more than half of the public land - half a million acres - opened up, environmentalists have warned.

The new logging zones contain more than 12,000 acres of existing old-growth forests. Significant portions of world-famous hiking routes, like the Appalachian Trail, also will be opened to logging.

The USFS Final Environmental Impact Statement lays out how Pisgah-Nantahala will be used and protected for up to three decades. It is the most popular national forest in the country, with nearly 5.2 million visitors last year, and a key source of drinking water across the southeast.

The plan appears to fly in the face of the global deforestation pledge formally unveiled by President Joe Biden at Cop26 this past November.

President Biden called forests as important as decarbonizing the global economy, noting that “the United States is going to lead by example at home”.

A key pillar of the Biden administration’s domestic plan to drawdown greenhouse gas emissions is conserving public lands and waters, including an increase in reforestation.

The Independent contacted the White House and the Forest Service for comment.

James Melonas, who oversees North Carolina’s national forests, told WLOS on Friday that “in terms of forest restoration, we really emphasize the need for more young forests, which is critical to a lot of wildlife species”.

Trees, especially those which have stood for centuries or millennia, are among the greatest natural climate allies, incredibly efficient at pulling carbon from the atmosphere and storing it in a process called carbon sequestration.

Research published last year in the journal Nature Climate Change found that the planet’s forests sequestered about twice as much carbon dioxide (CO2) as they emitted between 2001 and 2019, absorbing a net 7.6bn metric tonnes per year - 1.5 times more carbon than the US emits annually.

Will Harlan, a senior campaigner at the environmental nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), said that the Forest Service plan “utterly fails to protect old-growth forests, rare species and clean water”.

"This is the opposite direction of where Glasgow, the Biden administration, the country and the world in general is heading on carbon storage and protecting our remaining forests,” he told The Independent. “Especially our older forests as carbon sinks, and all of the climate benefits they provide.”

Along with being rich in biodiversity, Pisgah-Nantahala is packed with trout streams, hiking and biking trails. “This forest is far more valuable standing than cut down,” Mr Harlan said.

Josh Kelly, a public lands biologist with conservation nonprofit MountainTrue in Asheville, described the Southern Appalachians as “one of the great temperate forests of the world” where the process of restoring ancient forests has been ongoing for over a century.

“During the Forest Plan Revision, the Forest Service found that over half of the tree canopy in Nantahala and Pisgah National Forest should be old-growth, but in the Revised Plan, the Forest Service designated only one quarter of the forest for old-growth restoration, and worse, they reserved the right to cut existing old-growth where it is found outside of reserves,” he told The Independent in an email.

“Combined with ambitious goals to more than double current levels of logging, this leaves me concerned that the Forest Service is more committed to creating young forest than restoring old-growth.”

Rodney Foushee, the Forest Service’s deputy national press officer, later told The Independent that the Nantahala and Pisgah revised plan ”is based on science that ensures restoring native forest ecosystems to be resilient to climate change”, adding that the agency’s analysis demonstrates that proposed activities will increase carbon storage.

He continued: “Diversity is important for forest health, and timber harvest is a tool to achieve that. We’re not talking about deforestation.”

He said the claim that over half of the forest could be open to logging is “inaccurate”, calling it “alarmist and irresponsible”.

“Currently, 650 acres are harvested annually in this million-acre forest. That’s less than 1/10 of a percent. In the revised plan roughly 1,600-3,800 acres would be harvested annually - less than half of a percent of the forest.”

He added: “The plan increases protections for old growth forest; it doesn’t diminish it. In addition to the 265,000-acre designated old growth network, hundreds of thousands of acres of forest outside the network will continue to age and progress to old growth conditions over time.”

The Forest Service received a record number of comments on the Pisgah-Nantahala plan, CBD reported, with more than 92 per cent of respondents supporting more permanently protected areas.

The public now has a 60-day window to submit their comment on the plan.

“These are publicly-owned lands and we are all co-owners,” Mr Harlan said. “It's not just a short-term plan, it’s what our children and grandchildren are going to inherit. That's why it's so important and why we have got to fix it now.”

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Plans to quadruple logging in US’s most popular forest – months after Biden’s Cop26 reforestation pledge

Portions of world-famous hiking routes like the Appalachian Trail will be open to logging under the new Forest Service plan, environmentalists warn.

A federal blueprint for the long-term future of America’s most popular national forest proposes cutting down more trees and reducing protections of old-growth areas, critical “carbon sinks” in battling the climate crisis.

Logging would be set to quadruple in North Carolina’s Pisgah-Nantahala National Forest with more than half of the public land - half a million acres - opened up, environmentalists have warned.

The new logging zones contain more than 12,000 acres of existing old-growth forests. Significant portions of world-famous hiking routes, like the Appalachian Trail, also will be opened to logging.

The USFS Final Environmental Impact Statement lays out how Pisgah-Nantahala will be used and protected for up to three decades. It is the most popular national forest in the country, with nearly 5.2 million visitors last year, and a key source of drinking water across the southeast.

The plan appears to fly in the face of the global deforestation pledge formally unveiled by President Joe Biden at Cop26 this past November.

At the Glasgow summit, world leaders, representing 85 per cent of the planet’s forests, committed to halt forest destruction and begin restoration by 2030. A dozen countries backed the plan with a finance pledge of $12bn.

President Biden called forests as important as decarbonizing the global economy, noting that “the United States is going to lead by example at home”.

A key pillar of the Biden administration’s domestic plan to drawdown greenhouse gas emissions is conserving public lands and waters, including an increase in reforestation.

The Independent contacted the White House and the Forest Service for comment.

James Melonas, who oversees North Carolina’s national forests, told WLOS on Friday that “in terms of forest restoration, we really emphasize the need for more young forests, which is critical to a lot of wildlife species”.

Trees, especially those which have stood for centuries or millennia, are among the greatest natural climate allies, incredibly efficient at pulling carbon from the atmosphere and storing it in a process called carbon sequestration.

Research published last year in the journal Nature Climate Change found that the planet’s forests sequestered about twice as much carbon dioxide (CO2) as they emitted between 2001 and 2019, absorbing a net 7.6bn metric tonnes per year - 1.5 times more carbon than the US emits annually.

Will Harlan, a senior campaigner at the environmental nonprofit Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), said that the Forest Service plan “utterly fails to protect old-growth forests, rare species and clean water”.

"This is the opposite direction of where Glasgow, the Biden administration, the country and the world in general is heading on carbon storage and protecting our remaining forests,” he told The Independent. “Especially our older forests as carbon sinks, and all of the climate benefits they provide.”

Along with being rich in biodiversity, Pisgah-Nantahala is packed with trout streams, hiking and biking trails. “This forest is far more valuable standing than cut down,” Mr Harlan said.

Josh Kelly, a public lands biologist with conservation nonprofit MountainTrue in Asheville, described the Southern Appalachians as “one of the great temperate forests of the world” where the process of restoring ancient forests has been ongoing for over a century.

“During the Forest Plan Revision, the Forest Service found that over half of the tree canopy in Nantahala and Pisgah National Forest should be old-growth, but in the Revised Plan, the Forest Service designated only one quarter of the forest for old-growth restoration, and worse, they reserved the right to cut existing old-growth where it is found outside of reserves,” he told The Independent in an email.

“Combined with ambitious goals to more than double current levels of logging, this leaves me concerned that the Forest Service is more committed to creating young forest than restoring old-growth.”

Rodney Foushee, the Forest Service’s deputy national press officer, later told The Independent that the Nantahala and Pisgah revised plan ”is based on science that ensures restoring native forest ecosystems to be resilient to climate change”, adding that the agency’s analysis demonstrates that proposed activities will increase carbon storage.

He continued: “Diversity is important for forest health, and timber harvest is a tool to achieve that. We’re not talking about deforestation.”

He said the claim that over half of the forest could be open to logging is “inaccurate”, calling it “alarmist and irresponsible”.

“Currently, 650 acres are harvested annually in this million-acre forest. That’s less than 1/10 of a percent. In the revised plan roughly 1,600-3,800 acres would be harvested annually - less than half of a percent of the forest.”

He added: “The plan increases protections for old growth forest; it doesn’t diminish it. In addition to the 265,000-acre designated old growth network, hundreds of thousands of acres of forest outside the network will continue to age and progress to old growth conditions over time.”

The Forest Service received a record number of comments on the Pisgah-Nantahala plan, CBD reported, with more than 92 per cent of respondents supporting more permanently protected areas.

The public now has a 60-day window to submit their comment on the plan.

“These are publicly-owned lands and we are all co-owners,” Mr Harlan said. “It's not just a short-term plan, it’s what our children and grandchildren are going to inherit. That's why it's so important and why we have got to fix it now.”

PS: I use a Firefox Add-On to bypass paywalls. It doesn't work 100% of the time but often enough.

Edit: gently caress you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm seeing double!

Four articles!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
All forests are old growth eventually if you think about it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:hmmyes:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

that was true for a long time but now all forests are ash eventually

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

p good metaphor you got there

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fukken saved

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ahh yes the scavenger with the reputation as a fearsome predator, a truly fitting symbol for America

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
figures Biden's main priority with the environment would be to replace old forests with young ones

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
you'd think covid would have cleared out all these old forests already

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mayor Dave posted:

Ahh yes the scavenger with the reputation as a fearsome predator, a truly fitting symbol for America

Also let's use a different bird call than ours because we think it sounds better on film

blatman posted:

that was true for a long time but now all forests are ash eventually

Or 2x4s

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

i rescued a new dog the other day and he is absolutely terrified of that hawk noise, one flew over us on a walk and he just went into full terrified meltdown and i was like, dude, you could eat that hawk whats yer problem

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

pissinthewind posted:

i rescued a new dog the other day and he is absolutely terrified of that hawk noise, one flew over us on a walk and he just went into full terrified meltdown and i was like, dude, you could eat that hawk whats yer problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OvZ_l35Sw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

He forgot to duck

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

He forgot to duck

in fairness, it was a falcon in the vid, not a red-tailed hawk. but a hawk will still gently caress up birds on the ground. more than once gone out to the chicken coop to find a headless chicken carcass and a hawk on a telephone pole waiting for the chance to double-tap.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

:911:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

has Joe Rogan ever had a climate scientist on his show. just curious

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
someone's going to help us, right?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

has Joe Rogan ever had a climate scientist on his show. just curious
how could he do that? it's a meaningless term

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

sweet climate change is actually instant gentrification lol

ya why do you think california’s always on fire

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Homocow posted:

man look at you, having hope for hope, must be nice

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Homocow posted:

im sure you can ask africa for help in about 20 years or so after you fall apart. just keep calm, and carry on

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Homocow posted:

certainly!

The gnats and flies will do their part.

The beetles will eagerly rise to the task.

If you're in the water, the sea and freshwater snails will pitch in.

Even the stingless bees will lend a hand.

Of course the vultures will help too if they're not too full already.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

In ten years, the US will have the most new forest area in the world and the press will be trumpeting how environmentally conscious we are. China will be shamed for all of the boring old growth it has that isn't sequestering new carbon like the new forests in the western world are.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
put the forest on the blockchain. bam, problem solved. diamond hands, green thumbs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I lust for tree death

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I lust for tree death

Easy there saruman

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I lust for tree death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAlQvDQGoI
I have gone insane-o
I lust for volcano
Be with molten lava
Give me my nirvana
I have no vertigo
I lust for tornado

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Record numbers of women reach 30 child-free in England and Wales

In 1971, just 18% of 30-year-olds had no children – today the figure has risen to 50%, reports the ONS

interesting population trend but i doubt it will have much impact on future emissions

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

what you want him to destroy four fourths?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1486877969310232577

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Judge Rudolph Contreras said in his ruling that the Interior Department “acted arbitrarily and capriciously in excluding foreign consumption from their greenhouse gas emissions” and that it was required to do so under the 1970 National Environmental Policy Act, or NEPA, which says the government must consider ecological damage when deciding whether to permit drilling and construction projects.

Any disruptions that revoking the lease sales might cause, he wrote, “do not outweigh the seriousness of the NEPA error in this case and the need for the agency to get it right.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1486860015067566083?s=20&t=q8KGU-MEYJ7KIOOHmuSVdQ

And yet to me, it seems easily possible to imagine a future where we don’t just muddle along with business-as-usual, but in which we do address the threat of climate change with only mild disruptions of our current way of life. The biggest reason is the advance of technology. Renewable energy, energy storage, electric vehicles, and other green technologies have gotten so good, and so cheap, so quickly, that the economic incentives now favor decarbonization.

And this is not just theory. Recent data revisions from the Global Carbon Project show that total annual global carbon emissions — including from both fossil fuel use and land use changes — were approximately flat between 2011 and 2021:

Global annual emissions from electric power alone, meanwhile, peaked in 2018.

Now, annual emissions represent the total amount of carbon we add to the atmosphere each year, so the carbon in the air is still going up (and there’s also methane to think about). But the fact that a decade of rapid global economic growth wasn’t accompanied by any increase in global carbon emissions is a very good sign; as technology continues to improve, we should start to see big drops in annual emissions.

Now, technological improvement by itself is probably not enough to avert extreme outcomes from warming. But concerted government policy — by democratically elected governments in capitalist countries — can make a really big difference. The UK passed a climate change bill in 2008 that created a legally binding emissions target. As a result, the country began a rapid and sustained switch from fossil fuels to renewable power:
Now, that doesn’t mean everything’s fine and we can go back to sleep and muddle through with business as usual. These small-looking numbers conceal big differences — the effects of just 2ºC of warming are pretty dramatic, and 2.5ºC probably falls within the range of what we could reasonably label “global catastrophe”. So no matter what, Earth is in for a bumpy ride this century, and if we drop the ball on policy, some of the very dramatic scenarios could still manifest, technological progress or no.

But this doesn’t mean that climate change will force us to reorganize either society or our economy in radical or unprecedented ways. The UK’s experience shows that we can keep our social-democratic capitalist mixed economies and our modern democratic governments (or in China’s case, its modern autocratic government) and still do what’s necessary to avoid catastrophe by 2070 or so.
And by the same token, it would be premature for us to abandon the impulse toward positive social transformation. The Climate Left may have no chance of ending capitalism, but they’ve inspired lots of center-left businesspeople, scientists, and policymakers to take climate change more seriously — which, ultimately, is what will contain climate change’s effects. And there are plenty of other problems in our society that will need big pushes in order to fix — our broken health care system, our ruinously high construction costs, and so on.

So while I want to reassure you, I only want to reassure you a little bit. America’s great strength is that we freak out about everything, thus bestirring ourselves to early action when other countries might have let problems fester too long. If all goes well, 20 years from now we’ll look back on the 2020s as when society started to become sane again and we started to rebuild after a decade of chaos and rage. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I see you found Thug Lessons' twitter account.