Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Innocuous posted:

is it going to be comorbidities/personal responsibility all the way down or will we shift to NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

Both. Simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Virgil Vox posted:

D9093 ,hard to find though so look for D80921

thanks getting some now.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Innocuous posted:

hey so i was just wondering

how is the media going to play this in about five years when many people young and old have been kicked into the dirt by something like 10-12 COVID infections overall

is it going to be comorbidities/personal responsibility all the way down or will we shift to NOBODY SAW THIS COMING HOW COULD WE HAVE KNOWN?

same way they treat communities and countries still suffering from the effects of colonization, slavery, and other forms of exploitation

liberal outlets will occasionally say "How could we have known???" but the tone of most coverage will be that it was somehow the victims fault

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The real reason the CDC won’t recommend respirators is because they know most people can’t handle going through the goon gauntlet for a fit test.

i assume the goon gauntlet fit test is spraying a cloud of saccharin aerosol and seeing if you can smell it while you standup off the floor w/o using your hands??

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm a loving idiot but I'm not entirely dumb, the filters felt secure in that original orientation, not sure what was up.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Innocuous posted:

hey so i was just wondering

how is the media going to play this in about five years when many people young and old have been kicked into the dirt by something like 10-12 COVID infections overall

It's that. The brunch crowd will memory hole their participation in the genocide.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

It's purging anyone who won't open biden and eat at Applebee's. The only reality is what you're able to construct for yourself. Watching the news and believing it would make a sane person insane. Shits utterly hosed and there's no way out other than more fascism.

Applebee's is freedom

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Virgil Vox posted:

D9093 ,hard to find though so look for D80921

the 7093s are what ive been using. they are in stock at 3m and zoro at least as of yesterday.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

:stonk:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The best option is to just assume that I'm a moron with brain damage since I took them off and reoriented them and they're working fine and look right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the secureclicks are stupid easy to install but I'd like a filter that can stand up to rain. i presume the pink p100s can't get wet.

is there a waterproof option?

The outer fabric on the ping pong paddle filters is water resistant, more or less like 3M’s real surgical masks are, but as for a fully encased option: yes, but actually no.

3M lists the D9093, but no one in North America seems to sell it.

Australia and maybe the EU get the D9035, which is the same thing just approved for their occupational standards instead.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Delta-Wye posted:

i assume the goon gauntlet fit test is spraying a cloud of saccharin aerosol and seeing if you can smell it while you standup off the floor w/o using your hands??

No, it’s when you post a selfie and goons roast you til you fix your fit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Throatwarbler posted:

I own three 3m bayonet style respirators including the model that PFC is wearing, and the same filters. If I installed the right-hand filter in the same orientation as PFC had it, it would be in the "open" position and would fall right off. Are those filters from Amazon?

The “trick” is to force it on at the two o’clock position, then rotate clockwise to five o’clock.

e: I take back what I said about them not sealing properly against the gasket. If you do both filters like this, it seems to work. It’s silly and it damages the lugs on the respirator, but I would bet that you could pass an occupational fit test in this position, aside from the whole “not following manufacturer’s directions” clause.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 28, 2022

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
remember, the only thing that can keep people from getting sick is everyone getting sick

-- dialog from an orwell book, probably

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i sent a former coworker a pic of me in my respirator because I'm going back to work at the same place I left two years ago and he's like "that might raise an eyebrow. everyone here is over covid."

and I said "I am so far beyond giving a poo poo what people think about me."

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
herd immunity means everyone getting sick, repeatedly, all the time, forever what else could it mean? it certainly doesn't mean the herd is immune to the disease, what a pedestrian take.

-- addl text, from the same orwell novel... probably.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Barry Soteriology posted:

the 7093s are what ive been using. they are in stock at 3m and zoro at least as of yesterday.

Yeah 7093 is the best for bayonet style 6200, quick latch, full face ect while the secure click Hf800 series takes these click in carts

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

CPU Abuser posted:

OK, this is just one case.

But it's like one of the classical "horror stories" you use when you're teaching about part of the world that is hideously hosed up.

Back a couple of decades ago, I was reading stories like this about IT security when I was first learning about the field.

Narratives like this seem to drive a point home the way numbers ought to, but don't and really can't, because humans, even today, are almost entirely innumerate.

And the point this drives home, to me, is that hospitals have become insanely dangerous places to be. Even if you're in one for a relatively trivial reason.

Hospitals have become Covid incubators.

And thus they ought to be avoided unless you really don't have any choice in the matter.

This is an issue I first thought we'd see a year or so ago. Which is really tardy of me, since the Kirkland Nursing Home Horror made the news almost two years ago, and its implications are pretty straightforward.

This is one I'm going to pass on. It just may keep a few of my friends alive.

hate to see it!!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

gently caress him and gently caress those trucker chuds

I'd be wary of catching something

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Source4Leko posted:

It's purging anyone who won't open biden and eat at Applebee's. The only reality is what you're able to construct for yourself. Watching the news and believing it would make a sane person insane. Shits utterly hosed and there's no way out other than more fascism.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Lovelyn posted:

Reminds me of a recent patient I had. Came in for RLQ pain, turns out it was his appendix! He refuses surgery because he doesn't trust doctors (not sure why he came in), refused a covid swab because he didn't want his personal information sent to Biden who would then use it for experiments.

Then his appendix ruptures, and it's even more of a medical emergency. We need to get him to surgery to get his appendix out, and all surgeries require a covid swab. He declines repeatedly. We finally manage to get the test waived (we'd just presume positive and treat him as such), and he still declines. He agrees to antibiotics, even though he's "allergic to all of them." Then declines antibiotics. He still refuses surgery. Then agrees to surgery if it can wait till Monday.

Anyway he coded a couple times and sustained anoxic brain damage, is now septic and on a vent (and confirmed covid positive!)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we covered and fixed this fuckup already

why’d you fix it

why wear your filters like the rest of the sheeple

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Lovelyn posted:

lamoo

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So ba2 is a stud huh 👀

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I didn't, I haven't worn this poo poo out at all.

It's so much better than an N95 just trying it on that I will.

Also "lmao you had your cartridges on unfashionably" is some real dumb poo poo.

I've been tired and put one on each way. Maybe its designed that way for other ppe to be worn with it? I just thought you were trolling

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My poo poo's in order and I'm ready to go and this poo poo is so much better than adjusting an N95 or a KN95 that I'm not sure why I didn't do this months ago.

It’s social pressure. More or less everyone is susceptible to it.

Elastomeric respirators do their job more reliably, more comfortably, and more economically than the disposable alternative. The only technical downside is that they can be difficult to be heard through. Everything else is social.

I got over it in March and April of 2020 when I had a reusable respirator, I couldn’t buy more N95s, and there was proper fear in the air so that the public response to seeing someone in a respirator was to back off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 28, 2022

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i sent a former coworker a pic of me in my respirator because I'm going back to work at the same place I left two years ago and he's like "that might raise an eyebrow. everyone here is over covid."

and I said "I am so far beyond giving a poo poo what people think about me."

Me returning to work in a tyvek suit and PAPR *screaming over the motor* “Oh yeah? Well, I’m over your loving plague rat crybaby bullshit! gently caress you too, Sharon, I’m glad you miss smiles! Hey Ted, you miss brunch? How bout you brunch on this whole rear end!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

What's the usable life on 3m 7093 cartridges?

no set expiration, from real world examples, about 6 months of use with air that's got extra dust from dry clay and wildfire smoke. Those filters were causing a scratchy, sore throat.
I replaced my first filters at 1 year of use in cleaner air just to be safe, they felt fine in every way still.

Platystemon posted:

For healthcare purposes, “the duration of the epidemic”, or when they become difficult to breathe through, whichever is first.

Slight correction, "the duration of a pandemic wave" is the unofficial 3m guidance for 7093s in healthcare settings. in our world that's about 3-4 months of daily use in a hospital.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've vaguely heard reports that Omicron BA.2 is two and a half times more infectious, but relative to what? Omicron regular? Delta?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Someone had a graph showing that the rate of long covid increases over time after the initial symptoms resolve but I don't know where it came from

https://twitter.com/jenbrea/status/1474080164405383173?s=21

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

lotta people getting covid this month!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

lmao how did we miss this.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1485248628167954435?s=20&t=pNm6z61ooCLxjD5CShb1Lw

Scotland is doing the colored wristband thing but with yellow badges. Also it's government sponsored instead of some weird HR thing.

this was pages ago but just lol at all the antivaxxers who wore fake “unvaccinated” gold stars to protests and poo poo, and now the government is suggesting “covid cautious” people who don’t want to catch and spread a deadly virus to wear yellow badges.

no matter what, the stupidest thing just keeps happening.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I was talking to an aunt tonight who got COVID over the holidays. The family joke is she’s always feeling warm so she sleeps with the window open even during winter. Now, after recovering from COVID she’s cold and bundled up in sweaters and blankets all the time.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

JamesKPolk posted:

lotta people getting covid this month!

Wanna get catching covid out of the way in January so you’re rested and ready for reinfection in February

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

that’s bad

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lovelyn posted:

glad to see the system working for once

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NIOSH released a new report in their “valves: not the great satan?” series.

tl;dr: Modifying EHMRs for source control won’t suffocate you.

Evaluation of Exhalation Resistance and Inspired Carbon Dioxide Concentration in Elastomeric Half-Mask Respirators with Modified or Covered Exhalation Valves

quote:

This study explores the impact of modifying or covering the exhalation valves of an EHMR on exhaled breathing resistance and inspired CO2. Two approaches were considered: (1) modifying EHMRs to filter the exhaled breath through the inhalation filters; (2) covering EHMR exhalation valves with surgical masks. Nine EHMR configurations approved by NIOSH were included in this study, where the “configurations” were the combination of a facepiece, filter, and other required components. These nine EHMR configurations were selected from three different respirator manufacturers and five different facepiece models.

quote:

Test results showed that all EHMR configurations under all test conditions met the NIOSH exhalation resistance performance requirement of not exceeding 25 mmH2O.

quote:

Findings indicate that EHMRs can meet the NIOSH exhalation resistance performance requirement after being (1) modified to filter the exhaled breath, (2) covered with a Level 1 surgical mask, or (3) covered with a Level 3 surgical mask.

Putting a surgical mask over the top of them is fine.

What about the modification popularized by Naomi Wu, to rework the valves and force exhalation through the filter cartridges?

That, too, is generally fine. There’s that one Honeywell respirator that I’ve always hated that in one configuration marginally exceeds guidelines for carbon dioxide concentration. That’s it.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I got heckled by a ‘covid truther’ because I was wearing my p100 respirator as I walked from the UPS store back to my car.

‘The pandemic is a hoax, maan!’

lol.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Has anyone run a correlation between vaxxed- to- unvaxxed ratio in local hospitals and excess deaths (or cases per 100k, or whatever) for that community/region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy