Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Ori 2 and Tetris Effect are both Game Pass games that really show off the beauty of a 4K OLED with HDR.

Have Ori 2 installed already but this might push it further up my to-play list. I’ve never been a fan of Tetris but I do love all the other stuff going on in Effect so I might download it again just to check all that stuff out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kinda getting bored of Nobody Saves the World too, but for the opposite reasons. In ARPGs I generally like to find a character build I enjoy and focus on doing that well but the game throws so many gimmick challenges at you that you can't really settle into a build before having to chase more XP.

The Ascent round 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kinda getting bored of Nobody Saves the World too, but for the opposite reasons. In ARPGs I generally like to find a character build I enjoy and focus on doing that well but the game throws so many gimmick challenges at you that you can't really settle into a build before having to chase more XP.

New Game+ is just Necromancer builds except the one dungeon intended to stop necromancer which I still beat with necromancer because im not switching.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm too slow for that drum game and there's way too much stuff happening on screen. It did give me a bunch of achievements just for starting a game.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve never been a fan of Tetris but I do love all the other stuff going on in Effect so I might download it again just to check all that stuff out

On the lowest difficulty it’s almost more of an amazing interactive art installation. Do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was gonna DL the drum game and then I remembered I fail at every rhythm game on baby mode and have zero fun doing it.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Got my Series S. :) After spending most of yesterday playing Halo multiplayer and adding more than a handful of Pass games to "play later", this honestly feels like a big win. I also did the Xbox Live Gold trick as suggested and the fact that I'm paying $5/month for this poo poo is almost pushing it into "too good to be true" territory.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Fly Ricky posted:

On the lowest difficulty it’s almost more of an amazing interactive art installation. Do it.
i love this game but the level where it has the red silhouettes in the circle chanting and praying gives me anxiety every time

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thunder Bear posted:

Got my Series S. :) After spending most of yesterday playing Halo multiplayer and adding more than a handful of Pass games to "play later", this honestly feels like a big win. I also did the Xbox Live Gold trick as suggested and the fact that I'm paying $5/month for this poo poo is almost pushing it into "too good to be true" territory.

Welcome to the best deal in gaming!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Thunder Bear posted:

The Most Xbox Post. Enjoy!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I forgive them for the batteries but I’ll seemingly never be able to remember they put the X button in a different place than PlayStation has it

I've been playing Hitman on both PS5 (where I bought it) and Series X (cause Gamepass) the past week and that keeps tripping me up. I've accidentally snapped the neck of so many people on PS5 cause of X button confusion.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Battery chat: I use the dualsense on my PC and definitely get ~10 hours out of it. I only play once a week for about five hours at a time and a single charge will last two weeks. Maybe it’s worse on the PS5 since on PC it’s not using the fancy rumble stuff (or I don’t have any games that support it) but it’s much much better than the DS4 that maxed out at like 6 hours.

XBox controller is way better though, if I’m playing that instead of PC I can get 5 or more sessions on 2 AAs. And Switch Pro lasts like a year, but maybe that’s because I hate it and only use it when I’m playing with my daughter.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

veni veni veni posted:

Esco calming 10-12 hours is a lol though. I can have a fully charged dualsense I’m not even using that’s just on while I’m watching movies and it will be stone cold dead by the end of the evening.

No that sounds about right. I have three DualSense controllers and I can get 9-10 hours out of all them. Could probably get a bit more but I've never tried.

Four hours per charge is just comically bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No that sounds about right. I have three DualSense controllers and I can get 9-10 hours out of all them. Could probably get a bit more but I've never tried.

I spend way too much time playing games all day so if it was that bad I would definitely know.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been playing Hitman on both PS5 (where I bought it) and Series X (cause Gamepass) the past week and that keeps tripping me up. I've accidentally snapped the neck of so many people on PS5 cause of X button confusion.

As a lifelong Nintendo fan, I think the Xbox controller is fine but the button placement is mixing me up bad. I kicked myself yesterday for accidentally confirming a test gamertag instead of exiting out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Switching between Xbox and Switch regularly is the worst because of the swapping of confirm/cancel.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Switching between Xbox and Switch regularly is the worst because of the swapping of confirm/cancel.

had my switch-playing friends over last week to play some It Takes Two and it was a nightmare

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

American McGay posted:

Yep, this is exactly what I'm dreading when my switching back and forth becomes more frequent. Now I'm stuck with a # at the end of my gamertag like a rube. :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone has a number i thought

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

otter posted:

My kids thought it was cute but now they want the drum controller.

Did they even make one for Xbox, or only for Switch and PlayStation?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

No?

univbee posted:

Only switch and playstation, and the switch one at least is really poor quality

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Only switch and playstation, and the switch one at least is really poor quality

I reckon the strategy is to get those giant arcade controllers shipped over on the same jumbo planes they ship single PS5s on and wire it up to an Xbox Accessibility controller.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Real hurthling! posted:

Not if your gamertag is the OG with the name.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the switch drum controllers (and ps4 controllers) by Hori, basically the first party ones, are alright. Every single third party one is garbage.

The only other option is paying several hundred dollars to a random dude on a Taiko no Tatsujin fan board to build you a controller in his garage lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

X/Y gets me smh. It wasn't nearly as bad on PS because I could separate Nintendo X/Y and Playstation Triangle/Square far easier in my head

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

butt dickus posted:

i love this game but the level where it has the red silhouettes in the circle chanting and praying gives me anxiety every time

Ditto. There are two or three levels that have an anxiety-inducing vibe that has nothing to do with the blocks themselves.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

X/Y gets me smh. It wasn't nearly as bad on PS because I could separate Nintendo X/Y and Playstation Triangle/Square far easier in my head

Yeah, toggling between Nintendo, PS5 and XBox is mostly no problem, but X/Y between XBox and Nintendo gets me every time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

univbee posted:

i wonder if they are testing the market for this.
I mean it can't be that hard for Hori to do it, right? They already make xbox controllers, they already have the drum shells etc.
Just put both together.

This reminds me that I still have my dreamcast arcade stick that I need to finish building out in my garage.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Real hurthling! posted:

Have you tried the 300 dollar one for professional gamers yet newbs?

I got a series 2 elite and they are so good. I love it. I also got a 5 year warranty so I’m covered when it inevitably breaks. Didn’t cost much extra.

Battery is absolutely insane, thing never runs out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nice.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like that downhill bicycle roguelike now. Descenders, I think?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I like that downhill bicycle roguelike now. Descenders, I think?

Lonely mountain downhill is a great bike game

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I do love how Game Pass has so many games you can be like “I feel like playing a game where all you do is ride a bike down a mountain” and still have multiple options to choose from

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Escobarbarian posted:

I spend way too much time playing games all day so if it was that bad I would definitely know.

I have never gotten more than 5 hours out of a dualsense and that's a pretty generous estimate . And it looks like a lot of people online get about the same. Maybe you guys both won the dualsense lottery I dunno

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best thing about Gamepass is that it's 100% culled my impulse buying. I've always had the tendency to just grab sale games at a rate of like 4 per month cause I have bad willpower. I usually end up putting anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours into them and forgetting about them. Most of the time it's the day 1, full priced games I buy that I end up actually putting time into. I buy maybe 4-6 a year of those. I don't think that will change.

I haven't spent a penny on video games since I got my Series X except $10 for a deep rock galactic skin pack. I've stopped looking at sales. I don't even care anymore. I'll buy something if I 100% want to play it right now, but all of that "I have sort of been meaning to try that maybe I'd play it someday" purchases are done for, cause there's always gonna be 100 of those on gamepass to choose from. And of course there's also enough actual stuff I legit want to play that it's not a boring proposition.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kevyn posted:

I do love how Game Pass has so many games you can be like “I feel like playing a game where all you do is ride a bike down a mountain” and still have multiple options to choose from

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just got kicked from the goon discord because a mod didn't understand that xcloud is possible on console and PC now and not just a phone application.

Oh and that I call the series s a streaming console. Sorry I'll say all digital next time you pedant loser.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Love some Xbox gamer drama

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I have never gotten more than 5 hours out of a dualsense and that's a pretty generous estimate . And it looks like a lot of people online get about the same. Maybe you guys both won the dualsense lottery I dunno

I think you need to actually time it because I literally don’t believe you at all lmao

e: here’s the first result for “dualsense battery life” on google, from Nov 2021:

"TechRadar posted:

I've found that the low battery life indicator will appear around the six-hour mark, but you comfortably get to nine to 10 hours of playtime before the controller dies.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/has-the-ps5-dualsense-controllers-battery-life-gotten-worse-since-launch

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Just got kicked from the goon discord because a mod didn't understand that xcloud is possible on console and PC now and not just a phone application.

Oh and that I call the series s a streaming console. Sorry I'll say all digital next time you pedant loser.

Theres like a billion goon discords now which one is this