Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

i can practically guess what kinda website that "critic" is posting on

Say you saw this post on Bounding Into Comics without saying etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Who specifically does your friend think is subliterate? Kieron Gillen? Victor LaValle? Vita Ayala? What a weird critique.

I'm guessing it's the ones that aren't straight white men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ah yes, noted subliterate Al Ewing.

It is a well known fact that he refuses to dot his lower case J's.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing it's the ones that aren't straight white men.

It hadn't even occurred to me that their "friend" was coming at it from that angle and now I feel stupid for replying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

It hadn't even occurred to me that their "friend" was coming at it from that angle and now I feel stupid for replying.

Calling one of the most diverse writing teams on a family of books, who are all accomplished comics writers “sub literate“ is a bit of a clue. You can hate the comics and I won't give a poo poo, but that's some dog whistle poo poo. There are writers I really don't like reading, but I wouldn't use that term.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The part about THE REAL X-MEN somewhere is cute. Which team is that again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FilthyImp posted:

The part about THE REAL X-MEN somewhere is cute. Which team is that again?

The one where all the women are drawn in the boob/butt forward thrust.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Calling one of the most diverse writing teams on a family of books, who are all accomplished comics writers “sub literate“ is a bit of a clue. You can hate the comics and I won't give a poo poo, but that's some dog whistle poo poo. There are writers I really don't like reading, but I wouldn't use that term.

you can feel the word "degenerate" trying to pop out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The one where all the women are drawn in the boob/butt forward thrust.

Milo Manara is a great artist, but probably wrong for a Chris Claremont written book titled X-Women.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cornwind Evil posted:

and as one of my friends who hates the direction said,

This does not read like the words of someone who has actually read a good number of the Dawn of X-era X-Men books. If you picked one random series from this era out of a hat, odds are pretty good that it barely even takes place on Krakoa. And the story has been moving incredibly quickly despite the originally planned early demise of Krakoa being postponed.

There are more things wrong with that post than there are things that are right. And as other posters have already pointed out, the use of the term "subliterate" is extremely suspicious. I would not hold the opinions of this friend in especially high regard, personally.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Yeah that's on me. I kind of got it in my head that Comicsgate types probably liked Krakoa based on the reasoning of ethnostate = good and reading no further into it, but I forgot about the fact that it wasn't all written by cishet white dudes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Yeah that's on me. I kind of got it in my head that Comicsgate types probably liked Krakoa based on the reasoning of ethnostate = good and reading no further into it, but I forgot about the fact that it wasn't all written by cishet white dudes.

If you've actually read the comics, ignoring the identities of the writers, it's like the gayest poo poo Marvel has ever published and they seem to be pushing a lot of non white characters (Synch is on the main X-Men team, I love him, but he'd been dead for like 25 years before Krakoa), of course Comicsgate types are gonna hate it.

Also, Krakoa is basically Communist in how it actually functions, which is probably another huge issue with those types, even if they don't consciously realize that.

I want to re-iterate how much I love Synch being on the main X-Men team. Gen X was the first time I actually got an X book monthly, all my other exposure was through other media. The 90s cartoon, a few videogames, that VHS tape you could get from Pizza Hut. But that's a deep loving pull.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I mean all comic book enjoyers are subliterate degenerates. Wouldn't say the writers or artists are. A lot of editors definitely are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Not a comics question, but what the hell is this accessory that comes with the 90s Toy Biz Apocalypse toy?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's an Earth-295 bazooka that he is well know for using.

It's probably some random mold they had laying around and needed him to have something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You don't remember the debut of Apocalypse's ancient high-tech bazooka, the Natural Selector?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bazookas were very popular in the 90s

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I thought it was some kind of staff, for the week or so before it vanished to the pocket dimension where lost accessories go.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a Davy Crockett, Apocalypse was secretly involved in Operation Snake Eater

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The box says "EXTENDING ####Y" on it -- I can't make out the second word -- and it looks like the accessory does have some sort of internal mechanism that could, plausibly, make it extend, so figure out what that noun is and you'll have some idea.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Body.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToxicFrog posted:

The box says "EXTENDING ####Y" on it -- I can't make out the second word

:wink:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it’s a broken ballpoint pen he stole from the bank.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yep, it's "Extending Body" on the front of the package.

However, it's not a bazooka, it's a staff with a "Magic jewel."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Wolverine’s samurai sword even better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wolverine, the guy with built in knives, definitely needs a sword as an accessory.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

muscles like this! posted:

Wolverine, the guy with built in knives, definitely needs a sword as an accessory.

To be fair, sometimes those swords negated healing factors, which his claws do not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

maltesh posted:

However, it's not a bazooka, it's a staff with a "Magic jewel."

There's a lot of rude jokes one can make.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Please address your complaints to Chris Claremont on this one.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Wolverine is a very katana-heavy character and has been since 1983.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would simply make my claws out of healing factor-negating swords

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Can't say I'm all that up on recent X-Men, but I think in 1991, Apocalypse being on a team of "Evil Mutants™ led by Magneto™." would be a bit odd.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love that archangel’s wings aren’t even staying on properly for the photo shoot. That’s basically how I remember that toy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Logan is super weeb so of course he has a katana

site fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 29, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

IUG posted:

I love that archangel’s wings aren’t even staying on properly for the photo shoot. That’s basically how I remember that toy.

The photo looks like they put Archangel's wings on upside down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

maltesh posted:

Can't say I'm all that up on recent X-Men, but I think in 1991, Apocalypse being on a team of "Evil Mutants™ led by Magneto™." would be a bit odd.

In recent X-Men, they're all good guys and Apocalypse lead them on a mission during a big crossover!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Goon sighed as they unsheathed the "Um, Actually..." blade of their mind

"It's the sum totality of my pendantry" they muttered incoherently

maltesh posted:

Charles has all the political acumen of GWB
"Axis of evil mutants!" He says

Endless Mike posted:

Bleeding to death as my always-bleeding claw-sheath gives me anemia

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 29, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

What do you hate your dad or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Please address your complaints to Chris Claremont on this one.

Let's be honest, to Frank Miller most likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

maltesh posted:

Along with noted mutant, Juggernaut