Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You can and it's super easy because they don't ask for receipts.

And you can claim the whole amount for the whole year even if your employer only requested you WFH for a single day. And I think you can claim for the previous tax year too. Not certain about that though.
You can, I just did :)

e:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

There were masses of unrepentent Nazis after WW2 - not a small minority at all, they just kept quiet about it in public. Pop into the Ask/Tell Milhist thread and ask there about how well denazification went in both postwar Germanies (spoilers, anyone who wasn't a bigwig and also not in a very important position like Chief Justice or something got to keep on doing exactly what they had been doing before). It's not til the 60s and 70s when their kids are all like 'daddy what did you do in the war' did the soulsearching you're talking about start to happen and it wasn't the alte kampfers doing it.

Ok, point taken, but I was responding to the claim that every citizen who survived the Third Reich was, by definition, a Nazi, and was, as a result, completely unreformable. I don't doubt that the process was denazification was extremely traumatic and messy, but I think that's a very sus argument.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

What a take....

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1486996187425255424

Those poor unsullied and innocent police people, tarnished by that evil man. Their good name is destroyed....

:allears:

He's such a stupid smug oval office.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Other countries may vary but I just assumed that the fact that the UK elite classes all attend the same handful of private schools and universities, and then all go and live/work in the same city where everything else of value in the country is kept,probably has something to do with why journalism (and certain other professions) are so uniquely poo poo here.

Obviously posh people and private schools exist worldwide, but do other countries put all there posh people in the one place, or do they spread them around a bit.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 28, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I lived in Germany in the 1970s and they were only just beginning to talk openly about WW2. There was one of those multi-part week by week magazine collections. My dad started getting it but it was all in German and my German wasn't that great.
One of the things they did was to not allow school uniforms, never again to have children all uniformed up. (I don't know whether this is still the case). But we were jealous of the German kids wearing all kinds of multi-coloured tank tops and flared jeans to school while we were trussed up in strangulating collars and ties and hideous skirts.

Borrovan posted:

You can, I just did :)

So what proof do you need that your employer asked you to work from home do they need or is it enough that living in Wales, WFH has been variously mandatory / highly advised?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK and Ireland and Romania are about the only places in Europe that still do.

Not sure if the local paper comments descend into shouting about adidașii whenever its brought up there.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You can and it's super easy because they don't ask for receipts.

And you can claim the whole amount for the whole year even if your employer only requested you WFH for a single day. And I think you can claim for the previous tax year too. Not certain about that though.

Thanks for this. I just submitted a claim and it was bizarrely easy, you just need to confirm your identity (if you don't already have an ID account) and enter a single date.

Although it says they will respond before Nov 2021 so I dunno how that is gonna work

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

"We don't want to change the system, we just want a turn in charge of it."
I was thinking about this last night, it's a neat trick for capital to have pulled and the worst of it is that I don't think this is orchestrated at all, I think it just works out that way by being of benefit to the people who fund and promote parties come election time.

The cycle is that the conservatives run up a huge national debt, sell everything off to their mates, and cover up the fact that they're doing all of this with sleaze, war and shock tactics against poor and marginalised targets. Same in the US as the UK.

Then it gets too obvious, the debt is too high, and there's danger of things actually breaking. At this point the 'good guys' are elected and end up bringing in a bunch of unpopular measures to bring the debt down and minimise the visible sleaze.

E: the difference between previous Labour leaders and keef is that previous leaders probably didn't realise this was happening or didn't think they had a choice. Keef knows and is a loving plant.

The grown ups are applauded for being in charge, but the mechanisms don't change because the turds behind the scenes just lay low until the debt is paid off. Then the conservatives swoop back in criticising the taxes and public spending from the democrats / labour / lib dems who have been trying to fix the poo poo the cons broke (not very well, because they either can't or won't realise that the problem is liberal capitalism).

But at least when democrats get in power in the US for example they tend to pay down the national debt* and be slightly less nakedly corrupt (It's similar in the UK but I'd be interested to see a breakdown that takes into account Blairism and things like PFI catching up to Brown etc).

Still just 'twiddling with the dials on capitalism' as TF put it, but at least they're not turning all the dials to 11 and ignoring the screeching sounds from the motor.

It's a neat trick though, because Labour is permitted to be the whipping boy for the tories. It's like the shitpost about me sowing / me reaping, except it's the tories going "ha ha ha yesss" for ten years and then occasionally Labour stepping in and being allowed to go "what the fuuuck." Again, I think previous leaderships have been unaware of this, whereas keef is actively and joyously playing the psychopatsy role.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most is how absolutely hypocritical that last stage of the flip is and how every single time the same dumbasses come out of the woodwork to criticise the non-tory tories 'careless spending' and high taxes, and it loving works. People buy it every single time.

This is why Corbyn's economic politicies were so interesting because rather than just being the bad guy and sensibly paying off the tory debt, he wanted to build an actual functioning government. He refused to play the 'good bad guy' role the capitalism loop demands, and it drove economically and politically illiterate people insane to the point that they honestly thought an alcoholic slab of spam wedged into a suit would be a better leader.

* The second half of that link is hilarious, saying 'yeah but that was the aftermath of the great recession' without mentioning who or what caused the economic conditions that led to the recession - no, recessions are like hurricanes and earthquakes, they just happen sometimes.

E: slight rewording for clarity + added keef

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 28, 2022

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

The establishment can get away with all of this poo poo because a significant percentage of the population has absolutely no idea how our political system and country works. To many, it's like supporting a football team or favourite contestant in Big Brother. I remember chatting with an old neighbour who, in his 50's, didn't understand the difference between local council and Westminster. "Councillors, MPs, Lords, it's all the same thing innit"...

Which is what results in those 2019 voxpops of "Labour have been in charge for ages and this place is still poo poo, so I'm voting Tory to change things...."

I've also had to explain to people the difference between local elections, general elections and by-elections, and you don't vote for Prime Ministers.

There were people in Peterborough who genuinely thought that Labour winning the by-election in 2019 meant that Jermbemy Crobin was now Prime Minister and were then very confused when they had to vote again a few weeks later.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

UK and Ireland and Romania are about the only places in Europe that still do.

Not sure if the local paper comments descend into shouting about adidașii whenever its brought up there.

The Vatican has no data available, and I'm not sure if that's reassuring or worrying

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So what proof do you need that your employer asked you to work from home do they need or is it enough that living in Wales, WFH has been variously mandatory / highly advised?

You don't need proof, you can just do it - it doesn't ask for anything.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

Is Britain's contemporary press an outlier or have we always had a journo class that does no real journalism but just repeats whatever their (usually govt) sources say verbatim with no critical analysis before clocking off at midday and going down the pub? Is this normal in the rest of the world? Do people in say France laugh at us or is this just standard practice in most countries?

Flat Earth News is a little long in the tooth now but it sets out pretty well the process by which a press with some extremely scummy elements transformed itself into one tiny solid brick of absolute scum. I'd imagine the process is the same everywhere but in various steps along the path, as it's all the usual captialism consolidate/underpay/condense stuff.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

'Landlords have the power now': London rental market descends into Wild West of bidding wars.

quote:

A year ago, London buy-to-let landlords were grappling with 30pc rent drops and a desert of empty properties as lockdown triggered an exodus to the suburbs.

But now, hit by the return to the office and an acute shortage of supply, the market has become a Wild West of bidding wars. Price jumps of 48pc, tenants paying £90,000 in rent up front and rental deals inked within seven minutes of listing are common.

Between October and December, Greater London recorded the fastest increase in asking rents in the country. Prices rose by 6.1pc in just three months to hit a new record high of £2,142 per month, according to property website Rightmove. In central London, the three-month increase was 9.8pc.

These soaring figures mean that the collapse in rents at the start of the pandemic have been reversed, with prices now 3pc higher than at the beginning of 2020.

At the end of the summer, workers returned to offices, renters needed to be closer to their workplaces, students went back to universities and corporate relocations kickstarted again. But soon there were no homes for them to move to.

The supply of rental homes in Tube Zones 1, 2 and 3 in November was down 71pc, 72pc and 61pc year-on-year respectively, according to data from Hamptons estate agents. Meanwhile, tenant applicant numbers were up by 19pc, 12pc and 18pc.

Oliver Slogett-Taylor, of Savills estate agents in south-west London, said: “Landlords are in a position of power now.”

Simon Merner and his wife started looking for a £2,000 per month, two-bedroom flat in south-east London so that they could move back from Spain.

“It was hell for two months,” said Mr Merner. He requested viewings on more than 250 properties and did 50 video walkarounds.

Agents often wanted to see Mr Merner’s employment contract before he could register to view properties. One landlord insisted on a six-year rental contract. Several wanted rental guarantors, despite the fact that Mr Merner is 40, employed and has 10 years’ worth of references.

Finally, Mr Merner found a flat in Greenwich. “It was listed online for seven minutes when I called and I said if you can do a walk around viewing now, we’ll take it.” The agent did a virtual viewing within the hour and Mr Merner secured it immediately.

Other tenants are taking even more drastic measures. Greg Tsuman, a north London lettings agent, said: “I saw one family who were relocating from Hong Kong pay three years’ rent in advance for a property in Finchley." The bill totalled £90,000.

During the worst of the pandemic, rents in Canary Wharf fell by 30pc, said Richard Davies, of Chestertons letting agents. Now, the office district has recorded the biggest surge in demand in the capital, with an uplift in inquiries of 281pc versus this time last year.

This has driven rapid price growth. “In the first three weeks of January this year, rents in our prime central London offices were up 48pc year-on-year. That’s a 23pc uplift on January 2020,” he added. In south-west London, which is driven by the family house market, rental prices were up 40pc compared to January 2020.

"In our Little Venice office, every single deal is going to best and final offers," he added.

There are four key factors behind the supply shortage. First, when rents fell dramatically during the pandemic, tenants rushed to secure longer term tenancies – which landlords were forced to accept. Now, rising prices mean everyone already in a property is staying put. Both of these factors mean that there is therefore less churn.

Meanwhile, booming house prices and the stamp duty holiday encouraged other landlords to sell up. A punitive tax environment and lower yields compared to the rest of the country mean that few buy-to-let investors are entering the London market to take their place.

The introduction of the three percentage point surcharge for additional properties in 2016, alongside the phased reduction in tax relief on buy-to-let mortgage interest, have been key, said Mr Tsuman. “We saw this coming, we said this will create the biggest housing shortage we have ever seen.”

Mr Tsuman noted a three-bedroom house in Finchley, north London, that was previously let for £2,750 per month. “We put it on for £2,900. We had five offers after the first day of viewings and the highest was 24pc above asking.”
“I have been doing this job for 18 years and I have never experienced anything like this. It is insanity,” added Mr Sloggett-Taylor.

Family homes have been worst affected, said Mr Tsuman. “If you search for a four-bedroom house in Muswell Hill right now, there are three. If you want a three-bedroom house, there are zero.”

Barking and Dagenham, in east London, recorded the strongest rental price growth, with values climbing 12.3pc year-on-year in November to £1,318 per month, according to property website Zoopla. In Barnet in north London, the jump was 11.3pc.

The capital is part of a wider picture of soaring rents and high demand. Nationally, competition between tenants for properties nearly doubled compared to this time last year, according to Rightmove. The number of available properties fell by 51pc.

Outside London, asking rents have increased at the fastest rate on record, jumping 9.9pc year-on-year to £1,068 per month. Rental growth is outpacing house price growth in every region except the East Midlands, the South West and the South East.

The wife and I have been looking around north london for a 3 bed to move to now there's babby #2 and we've outgrown our flat. Better just quit I guess!

kecske fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 28, 2022

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Q not E etc.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Prole posted:

Which company is this? I'm dealing with Keller Lenkner and they seem to be going down the GDPR route and seeking damages for process breaches.

Some company called Angelus Law, it’s just very weird phrasing (prob shouldn’t post it in ‘public’?)

American media are sometimes even worse for stenography:

But I do think there is more actually good reporting in the US amongst the ocean of poo poo. So much of our supposedly decent media is actually absolute garbage and our journalist class is way more incestuous and twitter diseased.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You don't need proof, you can just do it - it doesn't ask for anything.
Yep :)

I actually had a bit of a panic doing mine (before seeing JeremoudCorbynejad's post) because it asked for when you started working from home, but then doesn't have an option to say "but then I stopped for a bit & started again", so went back & carefully read through everything & concluded that yeh if you've done a single day at home you're good. Should make a tidy few hundred quid all in all (much needed, jfc I didn't realise how expensive childcare is)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

To many, it's like supporting a football team or favourite contestant in Big Brother.
I think honestly a lot of people look at it like gambling. You pick a colour and then if your team wins then you win and you feel good (even if the team and managers in question have made it very clear they intend to use you as the ball).

I've had a lot of conversations with extended family after elections asking if I regretted voting labour because they lost. I feel like there are a lot of people who have the cause / effect backwards and are just voting for the one they think is most likely to win so that they can also win by-proxy.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Borrovan posted:

(much needed, jfc I didn't realise how expensive childcare is)
Just realised this is a good place to ask: does anyone know where I can find a good benefits calculator, or a charity that can help work this stuff out? Situation's a bit complicated, since I'm earning decent money but also technically a student & disabled, my partner's on a fully funded PhD (only counts as work/income where that disadvantages you, generally), & the baby's an unemployed scrounger who still owes me £20 from the birth certificate

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think honestly a lot of people look at it like gambling. You pick a colour and then if your team wins then you win and you feel good (even if the team and managers in question have made it very clear they intend to use you as the ball).

I've had a lot of conversations with extended family after elections asking if I regretted voting labour because they lost. I feel like there are a lot of people who have the cause / effect backwards and are just voting for the one they think is most likely to win so that they can also win by-proxy.

This rings true. You also see the idea that "no one wants to vote for losers", which is completely backwards and self-fullfilling - apparently the way parties prove they are dynamic, popular, high-acheiving go-getters who are worthy of your vote is by winning elections. Policy or ideology doesn't seem to factor into it. Which might explain a lot...

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Gah, quote isn't edit.

Have a cat:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Borrovan posted:

Just realised this is a good place to ask: does anyone know where I can find a good benefits calculator, or a charity that can help work this stuff out? Situation's a bit complicated, since I'm earning decent money but also technically a student & disabled, my partner's on a fully funded PhD (only counts as work/income where that disadvantages you, generally), & the baby's an unemployed scrounger who still owes me £20 from the birth certificate

The gov.uk site is usually pretty good at walking through everything that does/doesn't affect your benefits.

Other than that, MoneySavingExpert is a good resource for all sorts of things. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/benefits-check/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

I didn't know how good I had it doing a fully funded PhD, getting a good salary without any income tax, in addition to council tax discounts and student prices on everything, and being completely autonomous with no obligations to work to anyone else's schedule. I dream of living the life like that one more time in the future but I probably never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHNVwxJEeU

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 28, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't know how good I had it doing a fully funded PhD, getting a good salary without any income tax, in addition to council tax discounts and student prices on everything, and being completely autonomous with no obligations to work to anyone else's schedule. I dream of living the life like that one more time in the future but I probably never will.

gently caress that hits so loving close

Ironically, though, my phd is, like, the last fuckin' time I'd ever wanna go back to lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Yep :)

I actually had a bit of a panic doing mine (before seeing JeremoudCorbynejad's post) because it asked for when you started working from home, but then doesn't have an option to say "but then I stopped for a bit & started again", so went back & carefully read through everything & concluded that yeh if you've done a single day at home you're good. Should make a tidy few hundred quid all in all (much needed, jfc I didn't realise how expensive childcare is)

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression you got tax relief on £6 pweek which works out at around £1.20pw (can't remember what the exact tax rate is right now and can't be arsed to google) so only about £62.40 for a full year. I don't think you get £6 pw.

If I'm wrong, please let me know!

I claim £10 pw I think it is for my self-employed bits n bobs (mounting losses to offset against the day I actually make a profit!), so not sure how the two might clash.

Anyway, I'll pass the WFH tip on to my colleagues even if I don't do it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

LOL I love limmy

Dunno if there's a time in my life I'd rather go back to though. I liked uni for the constant parting and hanging out with friends but i was extremely stressed and going insane
I think a few of my friends miss school days but I hated school

I miss having all my friends nearby, if we all still lived together life would be grand, as is its still pretty good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

Where is home? I've wondered where home is, and I realized, it's not Mars or someplace like that, it's Indianapolis when I was nine years old. I had a brother and a sister, a cat and a dog, and a mother and a father and uncles and aunts. And there's no way I can get there again.

2002-2006 or so is home for me, and always will be, I fear

Wasn't much of a fan of the before and definitely not a fan of the after

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd go back to uni days for sure. I really didn't appreciate it or make the most of it at the time. And if I went back I'd make the same mistakes and end up with the same regrets, but I'd still do it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

tax relief on £6 pweek which works out at around £1.20pw
D'oh - serves me right for daring to hope.

Thanks for the advice all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Ironically, though, my phd is, like, the last fuckin' time I'd ever wanna go back to lol
I loving loved doing my BA and have often thought of doing an MA or PHD. Everyone I know who's done one has said never again, but they don't say why, and then on further pressing it turns out they also hated doing their BA and hated academic work in general.

Unfortunately I don't live in range of any universities and have zero transport options.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

gently caress that hits so loving close

Oh for sure, I very much do not want to remember the stress of it all, but at least I had plenty of cash to enjoy the downtime. I'm working on a couple bits and pieces atm and I really should be looking into postdocs, but honestly I am completely burned out on academia and I can't think of anything worse than bouncing between 6month-2year contracts for the next 5-10 years, fighting for one of the single digit permanent faculty posts that come up, which even if you get them are often hyper-exploitative and insecure. I see so many people who are so driven and passionate hopelessly banging their heads against the wall for years on end hoping for a share of the scraps and I do not think that is for me. I'm increasingly realising that I like my very niche subject but I have pretty much zero interest in doing all the other 'academic' stuff - I couldn't give a drat about keeping up with the literature or debating the minutiae of arguments, most academic writing makes my eyes glaze over now, I don't enjoy teaching, even writing myself, which I used to love, has had all the joy taken out of it, and I associate reading with work so much now that I find it completely impossible to read for enjoyment. I think a lot of this is the inevitable problem of making something you enjoy your a job and ruining it for yourself, but the sheer precarity of it all definitely compounds things, I'd be absolutely hosed if I wasn't in a good relationship with a solid support network.

I'm genuinely hoping I can transition into more stable non-academic work somewhere, but I've ended up in the classic scenario of being well-qualified in a super specialised way that means there are barely any applicable jobs and I look overqualified for other stuff. Maybe I'll look into one of the fast-track government schemes or something, idk. I dream of being able to go to work and come home leaving it all at the door, and actually enjoy reading something or even putting a few articles together as a hobby in my spare time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I loving loved doing my BA and have often thought of doing an MA or PHD. Everyone I know who's done one has said never again, but they don't say why, and then on further pressing it turns out they also hated doing their BA and hated academic work in general.

Unfortunately I don't live in range of any universities and have zero transport options.

BA was fine and MA in particular was brilliant, but in both those capacities you aren't really exposed to academia as an industry or academics as people (other than as tutors) and there isn't the same weight of expectations on you.

PhD is (usually) high pressure but with little to no structure. It's like being yelled at to grab as many handfuls of steam as you can and stuff them into a bag (and then someone will tell you whether the clouds of steam you managed to grab are worthwhile, but they may not tell you why they are or, more usually, aren't). You also know your entire future career - at least in academia, which, at least to start with, is what you think you want - depends on grabbing more good handfuls of steam and fewer bad handfuls of steam than your fellow PhD students, many of whom are also your friends, but also your deadly competition. Meanwhile your mental health deteriorates precipitously.

It's a really, really weird situation, neither student nor employee, but with the worst of both worlds, but also quite unlike either at the same time

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 28, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I enjoyed doing my PhD.

Mostly WFH as I was a renegade, much to the disgust of everyone else, using MS Access (a relatively well-proven database system back in 1999/2001) to analyse my data - millions of rows of spacecraft data - instead of wasting 6 months having to learn C or C++ (which I had a smattering of) to create my own database analysis package which may or may not have worked properly and because I was analysing new data would have been hard to know if I was making an unholy mess of it. At least with Access I knew sqrt(col A x col B / col C )^n did what it said on the tin! I wasn't there to learn programming, I was there to do research!

Friday mornings were fun: ripping other peoples' work to shreds. It started off gently with picking a paper out of a journal and pulling it to pieces. Then after we had been there a few months, it was our turn to put our stuff up and listen to everyone else tearing it apart and try to think on your feet to counterpoint or acknowledge your errors.
I remember one of the postgrads who had just started saying to me after mine "I don't think I can take that much constructive criticism". Let's just say the profs etc had never learned the 'two stars and a wish' 'compliment sandwich' techniques of criticism!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh for sure, I very much do not want to remember the stress of it all, but at least I had plenty of cash to enjoy the downtime. I'm working on a couple bits and pieces atm and I really should be looking into postdocs, but honestly I am completely burned out on academia and I can't think of anything worse than bouncing between 6month-2year contracts for the next 5-10 years, fighting for one of the single digit permanent faculty posts that come up, which even if you get them are often hyper-exploitative and insecure. I see so many people who are so driven and passionate hopelessly banging their heads against the wall for years on end hoping for a share of the scraps and I do not think that is for me. I'm increasingly realising that I like my very niche subject but I have pretty much zero interest in doing all the other 'academic' stuff - I couldn't give a drat about keeping up with the literature or debating the minutiae of arguments, most academic writing makes my eyes glaze over now, I don't enjoy teaching, even writing myself, which I used to love, has had all the joy taken out of it, and I associate reading with work so much now that I find it completely impossible to read for enjoyment. I think a lot of this is the inevitable problem of making something you enjoy your a job and ruining it for yourself, but the sheer precarity of it all definitely compounds things, I'd be absolutely hosed if I wasn't in a good relationship with a solid support network.

I'm genuinely hoping I can transition into more stable non-academic work somewhere, but I've ended up in the classic scenario of being well-qualified in a super specialised way that means there are barely any applicable jobs and I look overqualified for other stuff. Maybe I'll look into one of the fast-track government schemes or something, idk. I dream of being able to go to work and come home leaving it all at the door, and actually enjoy reading something or even putting a few articles together as a hobby in my spare time.

I am you and you are me

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

BA was fine and MA in particular was brilliant, but in both those capacities you aren't really exposed to academia as an industry or academics as people (other than as tutors) and there isn't the same weight of expectations on you.

PhD is (usually) high pressure but with little to no structure. It's like being yelled at to grab as many handfuls of steam as you can and stuff them into a bag (and then someone will tell you whether the clouds of steam you managed to grab are worthwhile, but they may not tell you why they are or, more usually, aren't). You also know your entire future career - at least in academia, which, at least to start with, is what you think you want - depends on grabbing more good handfuls of steam and fewer bad handfuls of steam than your fellow PhD students, many of whom are also your friends, but also your deadly competition. Meanwhile your mental health deteriorates precipitously.

It's a really, really weird situation, neither student nor employee, but with the worst of both worlds, but also quite unlike either at the same time

hahaha this is too on the money

e: I have my backup plan of somehow opening a (maybe crowdfunded?) co-operative pub and living the rest of my life pouring pints and doing crosswords, but I have very carefully chosen to avoid thinking too hard about how any of that would work in practice for reasons that should be quite obvious.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 28, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I mostly enjoyed my PhD, it’s certainly stressful but it’s IMO good to 1) be in an academic environment around other interesting, smart people who are generally trying to do their best at whatever it is, 2) be allowed to focus on One Big Project instead of constantly having to change your locus of attention at somebody else’s whim, 3) be able to set your own hours (usually they have to be longer than normal work hours but at least you can sleep in if you like), 4) be working on something actually interesting to you

Caveat that I didn’t have to also work a job while doing my PhD, I have absolutely no idea how anybody could possibly fit those two things together

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Muahaha, I went into the PhD knowing I definitely didn't want to pursue academia, so only one of my four years (write-up) was filled with mind-destroying misery and regret.

There are definitely parts I miss from both the PhD and my BSc; it's very hard outside academia to feel like you properly know what you're talking about on an subject, rather than feeling like a spirited amateur. Work in industry is better defined by far but as mentioned you lose a huge amount of freedom and spare time.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Also after my PhD I got a postdoc that kind of went nowhere after a couple of years and now I’m a regular computer toucher anyway 🙃

oh well

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Juche Couture posted:

But I do think there is more actually good reporting in the US amongst the ocean of poo poo. So much of our supposedly decent media is actually absolute garbage and our journalist class is way more incestuous and twitter diseased.

Huge shoutout to propublica. Honestly, the guardian does some good poo poo some times though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

josh04 posted:

There are definitely parts I miss from both the PhD and my BSc; it's very hard outside academia to feel like you properly know what you're talking about on an subject, rather than feeling like a spirited amateur.

I thought realising quite how dumb you actually are was part of the universal PhD experience, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of the UK press being terrible:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1487008027194634240