Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looten Plunder posted:

Has there ever been a spin-off of a spin-off before?

'90s Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Looten Plunder posted:

Has there ever been a spin-off of a spin-off before?

Not actually answering your question but just sharing that the new Scorpion King movie will be a reboot of a prequel to a spin-off of a sequel of a remake that’s ignoring sequels. I think. It’s very confusing.

(The original The Mummy with Karloff > Frazer Mummy > Mummy Returns > Scorpion King > Scorpion King 2, which is a prequel ; ignoring The Mummy 3, the Cruise reboot/remake, the other 2 (3?) Scorpion King films and the other Universal movies with a mummy. I haven’t seen almost any of these, I just have been watching in fascinated horror as this incredibly convoluted series continues.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Watched the season 2 premiere of Resident Alien. I think I'm going to have to tap out from what was a promising pilot and premise.

Ah poo poo, that bad?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only issue with Res Alien S2 premiere was that I’ve forgotten a whole ton of detail from the first. The stuff that didn’t rely on that was great, and seems to have gone down well in general.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Mummy stuff

drat, that's almost as convoluted as Halloween lore.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Looten Plunder posted:

drat, that's almost as convoluted as Halloween lore.

What's confusing about concatenating sequels inside sequels in weird recursive sub-timelines to where it actually makes sense to call a movie Halloween II 2, cause it's a sequel to just the second Halloween movie and then it can have a prequel that we can call Halloween II 2 : Origins...

What could be confusing about that. He says as a single drop of blood oozes out of his ear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Tom Cruise Mummy movie was so.... boring! I started to watch it, got bored, paused it to go do something else, came back and went,"Uhhh gently caress it I can't even be bothered to finish watching this," and turned it off.

I'm not sure what they were going for, but whatever it was sure as hell didn't work!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

That Tom Cruise Mummy movie was so.... boring! I started to watch it, got bored, paused it to go do something else, came back and went,"Uhhh gently caress it I can't even be bothered to finish watching this," and turned it off.

I'm not sure what they were going for, but whatever it was sure as hell didn't work!

I mean, it was co-written, produced and directed by Alex "God king of current Star Trek on TV" Kurtzman, so that explains everything, really.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Showtime cancelled Black Monday and Work In Progress :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

muscles like this! posted:

Reminder that the new Lord and Miller show, The Afterparty drops soon on Apple TV+. The show focuses on a high school reunion where one of the attendees dies and each episode is retelling the same events from a different character's perspective and as such each episode is in a different style as the teller colors events.

So far, this show owns. So many fun actors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching the first episode and I completely lost it at Channing Tatum and Dave Franco doing the Hall and Oates biopic.

“You go high, I’ll go the same high!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timby posted:

I mean, it was co-written, produced and directed by Alex "God king of current Star Trek on TV" Kurtzman, so that explains everything, really.

Well that would explain why I watched like half a season of Discovery and then promptly forgot it even existed!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I keep getting Alex Kurtzman and Davis S Goyer confused. They are pretty much the same person.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

I keep getting Alex Kurtzman and Davis S Goyer confused. They are pretty much the same person.

Goyer at least has the first Blade to his name, and that's a stone-cold classic, which is more than Kurtzman can say for himself.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The current season of Discovery is actually kinda good, and the closest thing we have gotten to “real” Star Trek in more than a decade.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok The Afterparty kicks rear end

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

The current season of Discovery is actually kinda good, and the closest thing we have gotten to “real” Star Trek in more than a decade.

Lower Decks.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

ok The Afterparty kicks rear end

You only get one shot twice!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Loving how Servant's third season is morphing the show's themes -- the class conflict between Leanne and Dorothy has been extended, so now even though Dorothy seems to be genuinely grateful and affectionate towards Leanne, she still treats the younger woman like she's less than her. Sean, meanwhile, leans back into emotionally justifying his wife's more difficult behaviour, but in an easily manageable way. And Leanne continues to weaponise the way she's seen against the family, like the excellent hairbrushing scene at the end.

The casting and performances remain excellent too. Genuinely great show I feel goons would love.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Lower Decks.

:hmmyes:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So I've been sick with an ear infection for a bit, and whenever I get under the weather like this I watch things I've already seen. Just can't get into new stuff when I'm sick, dunno why, and I'm also planning on getting into some shows here shortly, so I figured I'd watch something I don't feel the need to continue watching and can just drop once I'm feeling better. So because of that, and possibly because the infection has spread to my brain and caused poor decision making skills, I decided I'd watch one of the good seasons of SOA, specifically the fourth one. It's pretty much the last genuinely good season and it turned out even better than I remembered, but holy gently caress that ending is aggressively stupid. Just completely undoes all the good will built up by the last thirteen episodes and not only never recovers, but takes a nose dive into the deep end of the sewer. They had a perfect ending right there but decided to cop out of it in the dumbest way possible so they could get three seasons of scripts that basically amount to GTA missions. Bouncing off of this into something better, dunno what yet but the ceiling ain't exactly high.

I did end up listening to some episodes of Theo Rossi and Kim Coates' podcast of the show because of that though, and it's surprisingly good. When I first heard of it I thought it was just gonna be them gushing about how great it was, and yeah there are moments of that early on but mostly it's just them talking about behind the scenes stuff and reminiscing about their time working on it. They're surprisingly frank in how they feel about the writing of the later seasons. At one point they even joke about renaming the show "Jesus Christ, is Everybody Whole" and I think in the same episode they comment on how ridiculous it is they always meet at the same barn. There's also an episode where they get Kenny Johnson on, and he tells a story that just reaffirms what a gigantic piece of poo poo drama queen Kurt Sutter is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Loving how Servant's third season is morphing the show's themes -- the class conflict between Leanne and Dorothy has been extended, so now even though Dorothy seems to be genuinely grateful and affectionate towards Leanne, she still treats the younger woman like she's less than her. Sean, meanwhile, leans back into emotionally justifying his wife's more difficult behaviour, but in an easily manageable way. And Leanne continues to weaponise the way she's seen against the family, like the excellent hairbrushing scene at the end.

The casting and performances remain excellent too. Genuinely great show I feel goons would love.

This is a good post and I would also like to recommend Servant to anyone who likes horror/psychological drama stuff but with a good dose of…..I’m not sure I would say ‘camp’, because it’s very much not trying to shove the humorous or ridiculous side in your face, but it’s definitely there, especially in Lauren Ambrose’s amazing performance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Lauren Ambrose’s amazing performance.

Denise Flemming is a tampon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had to google that but LOL

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lauren Ambrose is pitching her performance like something out of The Handmaid's Tale, and the show's adjusted to fit that energy into its overall vibe. Servant's a tightly structured thriller, at heart, but the overall vibe allows for some really good comedy moments.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was happy to read 1. that it already got a season 4 renewal and 2. that it’ll be the last season, which means they have an overall plan and know how to get there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
(The Ringer)'The Afterparty’ and the Rise of the TV Comedy-Mystery: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller’s return to television adds to an upswing of series centered on the humorous side of crime

quote:

Coen brothers and their imitators aside, crime and comedy don’t always make for an intuitive mix. (Mare of Easttown wasn’t exactly a barrel of laughs.) On TV, exceptions like Bored to Death both proved the rule and remained stubbornly niche.

I appreciate the writer's Blue Sky approach to this subject matter, looking at this entirely novel concept. It'd be easy to Psych yourself out or Monkey around finding past examples tried to strike this tone before this moment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching Blackish still and in the 2016 season and it's wild how "cozy"/tense the memory of Obama era was, like they both know and don't know what's going to happen in 4 years and anyway, I'm very curious to see the show tackling the shitshow 20s while keeping the network tv attitude. it's a weird mix of confrontational and sugarcoated for TV.

Daveed Diggs also a great add to the show.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 28, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Paracaidas posted:

(The Ringer)'The Afterparty’ and the Rise of the TV Comedy-Mystery: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller’s return to television adds to an upswing of series centered on the humorous side of crime

I appreciate the writer's Blue Sky approach to this subject matter, looking at this entirely novel concept. It'd be easy to Psych yourself out or Monkey around finding past examples tried to strike this tone before this moment.

Some big

energy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"JK Rowling is the first person to write about class and wealth" is just a statement that makes me sad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah we all know Roald Dahl invented that

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just saw the trailer for The Afterparty, and it has Richard Splett in it. I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I actually mostly like Herman's writing and I was being uncharitable since there clearly is a difference in tone and quality between basic cable antiprestige heyday and this spate of afterparty/only murders/search party/Girl in the house and window and whatever. Just felt odd to skip over it entirely in part because of how effective that contrast is.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

"JK Rowling is the first person to write about class and wealth" is just a statement that makes me sad.

My biggest issue with JK and harry potter is that it's become you're either a dumbass that supports her and acts like HP can be your whole rear end personality or somebody who has to both dislike her for the transphobia but also shits on the books.

The books are flawed, for sure, but at this point their underrated for doing what they do well as well as they do by everyone who likes to attack on JK. To be clear, she needs to shut the hell up.

I rewatched the movies (well, 3-7) over Christmas and was struck by how well they work. It's just straight a fun, good story. It's not original, it's not flawless. But you compare it to a lot of the "improved" young adult books of the last ten years, and the story is better told.

(Looking at you immortal instruments).

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 29, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the entire series with my wife in December. I'd only seen Goblet of Fire and I had a really negative view of the franchise previously.

And I loved it. Such a great film series. I was already impressed with Daniel Radcliff in some of his post HP work but now I'm an all out fan.
L

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
People can hate that "chosen one (but kind of sucks at it)" is a hack trope or whatever but the drat books got a generation of kids reading again so gently caress it.

TERFgirl can go gently caress herself though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last 3 movies took on a really dour and dark look completely absent of color and it really annoyed me. I have the same problem with the spinoff movies too. 1920s New York City in the movie is depicted as the most drab and grey place imaginable.

The Alfonso Cuaron movie was dark too but it still looked like a movie about magical wizards with some excitement and wonder.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The books are largely pretty good if dated but I don’t like most of the movies at all, cast aside

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hughmoris posted:

Just saw the trailer for The Afterparty, and it has Richard Splett in it. I guess I'll have to give it a go.

One of those names, like Greg Proops, that you get born with and say "welp, guess I'm going into comedy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s Sam Richardson. Richard Splett was the character he played in Veep.