Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
An air fryer is a thing I didn't buy. There's a dude on YouTube who compared it with a normal convection oven and other than taking a bit longer, the results were more or less the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

SAXX is the best underwear. And at that price it’s a steal.

I like Saxx, but my favorite underwear are a similar REI-branded boxer brief. Preferred them to Saxx or Ex Officio or all the others I've tried. Unfortunately some time in the last year they were discontinued. Dunno if it was supply chain issues or just a usual cycling things out of the product range kind of situation, but it was extremely disappointing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Inzombiac posted:

I have the Instant Pot lid and it gets plenty crispy on the top portion. I hear standalone units do it better but the space saving is hard to beat.

Kind of but also no.

So a few years ago my family found out I like air fryers and instant pots, and they have become like when people find out you collect owl or frog figurines, so I now have 3 instant pots, (mini, normal, one with the air fryer lid), and two ninja combination pressure cooker air fryers. This year's gift was the Ninja 15 in 1 7.5l https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C873WR9 and it's designed by a wizard.

tl:dr I just sold the original ninja air fryer max because I found the versions with a basket and a lid take a tiny bit longer but the way the air circulates, even with your foil boat, means you have to shake and turn far less.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mobby_6kl posted:

An air fryer is a thing I didn't buy. There's a dude on YouTube who compared it with a normal convection oven and other than taking a bit longer, the results were more or less the same.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the youtube guy is full of shite.

It takes half the time in an air fryer, whatever it is you are cooking, which means your food isn't ever going to dry out as much, plus the temperature change when crisping the outside of meat takes seconds which also means less drying out.

You can clean it after each use which no one on earth does with a fan oven, and the time it takes to heat up coupled with electricity use means that if you use it daily a £100 air fryer will have paid for itself in a year.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

bowmore posted:

You can get air dryer ovens now that do both oven and air frying, i assume the air frying just means they turn up the fans or something

My wife brought one of these air fryer ovens home and I made her get rid of 3 other dumb appliances on the counter, so that alone was worth cost of admission.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Spent $60 on steam before I even got out of bed. Picked up gta 5, max payne 3, portal, and half life alyx. I should probably pick up a link cable for my quest soon too.

Edit: picked up a short high speed usb-c to USB 3 cable and a usb-3 extension cable for about $20, hopefully that works. If not, I’ll eat my pride, return them, and get the official one

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Jan 28, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm now going to put every air fyer, instant pot, blender, rice cooker and mixer that I own on my counters just to spite you djfooboo

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Various stuff:

A Samsung 34" LC34H890, since work was giving us a stipend to spend on a monitor. It's a cheap piece of poo poo, but I also had a gift card and a bunch of loyalty points, so it was the least objectionable monitor I could find at the retailer and it didn't cost me much.

A pair of 1st-gen Beoplay H9 VERY cheap from our local craigslist equivalent, together with new pads and battery directly from Bang & Olufsen to refurbish them.

+

+

Purchased but not pictured: Shares of a bunch of different index funds for savings for later in life.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have been spending thousands of dollars on boring house poo poo like paint, more paint, exterior paint, trim paint, paint rollers, paint brushes, drop cloths, exterior lights, interior lights, window sill boards and a bunch of other stuff.
I still need to buy flooring (more $$$) and possibly a whole roof.
I'm trying to get my house ready to sell so here's a speed run of 12 years of neglected maintenance

I remember doing all that when I sold the house I had been in for 12 years back in 2017. Then feeling really dumb when I saw how great the place looked and that aside from the roof which gets redone after time anyway, I could have done all that poo poo when I first moved in and would have lived in a much nicer house for 12 years.

I bought a new laptop and tomorrow I'm hopefully gonna buy a buttload of used Lego trains and tracks off Craigslist.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Oddhair posted:

I got that headset for my PS4 Pro and it's pretty good, plus when the battery dies (or even if it didn't die) you can just plug it into the controller, so that's not bad for $100.

I'm sure it's great, I just hate headsets/cans. My ears get hot...like, unbearably hot and uncomfortable if they're 100% covered.

I can't wear that style of headphones for more than like ten minutes.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

evobatman posted:

Purchased but not pictured: Shares of a bunch of different index funds for savings for later in life.

Why now, coulda waited for the doom dip that is coming with rate hikes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

djfooboo posted:

Why now, coulda waited for the doom dip that is coming with rate hikes.

Don't try to time the market

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Coffee And Pie posted:

Spent $60 on steam before I even got out of bed. Picked up gta 5, max payne 3, portal, and half life alyx. I should probably pick up a link cable for my quest soon too.

Edit: picked up a short high speed usb-c to USB 3 cable and a usb-3 extension cable for about $20, hopefully that works. If not, I’ll eat my pride, return them, and get the official one

Max Payne 3 was a good playthrough, hope you enjoy!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Was going to buy a new PC, instead just booked an appointment for a transesophageal echocardiogram as supposedly my lower left ventricle isn't working properly. So that's open heart surgery sometime soon.

spookygonk has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Jan 28, 2022

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Good luck homie. I had open heart surgery a few years back and it’s a great conversation starter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
if you wait till July you can put a 4080 in there

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a rec for a cordless vacuum? Hoping to get one in the $150 range, and not the $4-500 range.

No pets, but 4 kids. Only one room with carpet, but it's the living room so it gets a decent amount of traffic (all with no shoes on.)

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Bought a few Steam games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135690/Unpacking/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1587710/Fossil_Corner/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/

2 relaxing puzzle games and a non-stop dopamine dispenser. Vampire Survivors is one of the best 3 dollars I have spent recently.

Also a Nest Protect smoke / carbon monoxide detector

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone have a rec for a cordless vacuum? Hoping to get one in the $150 range, and not the $4-500 range.

No pets, but 4 kids. Only one room with carpet, but it's the living room so it gets a decent amount of traffic (all with no shoes on.)

I really like my Bissell Air Ram, though it's into the $2XX range. Powerful, folds under furniture very well, etc. Haven't used my corded vacuum in years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Dyson has a refurb site where you can get deals. I have a couple models of Dysons and they are fantastic. If you can get a deal on one it’s well worth it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The cordless henry. I’ve tried about 8 vacuums and I find the simplicity of Henry is just unbeatable. It’s basically a shop vac for your house. But if that form factor doesn’t suit you I guess it’s a non starter.

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Tinderblox game, after seeing it on a TikTok video.

Alleycat Games website posted:

Tinderblox is a fun, easy to learn dexterity game that comes in a pocket size mini-tin so you're always ready to play. 

Challenge your friends and family to 'Play with fire' as you gather around to build a 3D campfire, but don't get burned! If you drop a piece of the fire you lose the game!​

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Neat, looks like a tiny version of Men at Work. Dexterity games that use tweezers are always fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

About to drop $4,000 on dental surgery because I pay a premium for good insurance and they decided to barely cover anything.

My wisdom teeth are ticking time bombs, so I'm happy to eat rice for a few months.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inzombiac posted:

About to drop $4,000 on dental surgery because I pay a premium for good insurance and they decided to barely cover anything.

My wisdom teeth are ticking time bombs, so I'm happy to eat rice for a few months.

loving USA. I got a hip x-ray and my insurance covered like a fifth of it. People pay thousands a year for this poo poo.

Condolences on becoming your avatar.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah, dental covering 20% is what you usually get with high end plans.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"I don't want to pay for other people's insurance! I want to pay for other peoples insurance AND blood sucking CEO's yatchs!"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Bought a new guitar recently.

It's a 1996 Japanese Jackson DKMG.

Been looking for one for a while and turned out the guitar tech that lives in the woods next to my house had one at his workshop so that was super handy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CyberPingu posted:

Been looking for one for a while and turned out the guitar tech that lives in the woods next to my house had one at his workshop so that was super handy.

Bitchin' as hell. I've got an '86 Japanese Charvel Model 4 and it I love it to death.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I love the Charvel/Jackson crossovers. Especially the ones with the Toothpaste lettering on the headstock.

This guitar is exclusively tuned to D standard and has become my dedicated metalcore and stuff around that guitar.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

CyberPingu posted:

I love the Charvel/Jackson crossovers. Especially the ones with the Toothpaste lettering on the headstock.

This guitar is exclusively tuned to D standard and has become my dedicated metalcore and stuff around that guitar.

Sick. I have a newer version of that same guitar with a trem, also set up in D standard. Motherfucker is a riff machine and just feels faster than any other guitar I have. Glad you got one with the reverse headstock, as god intended

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

A refrigerator

And various things to hook up an ice maker.

Not a project I'm looking forward to, but it will be worth it for the ice maker (that will no doubt stop working 6 months later).

We bought this LG fridge about 3 years ago…

Ours has the fancy glass door and middle drawer. So far the only trouble we’ve had is the hinge on the water dispenser and the freezer track getting a little clunky. That’s got more to do with the kids being clumsy fucks than the quality. LG makes a drat good fridge.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does yours do the dumb round ice? We’re looking at moving to a full size LG more or less just like that. And while I most certainly don’t want or really need dumb round ice, it is extremely dumb and therefor my weakness.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Warbird posted:

Does yours do the dumb round ice? We’re looking at moving to a full size LG more or less just like that. And while I most certainly don’t want or really need dumb round ice, it is extremely dumb and therefor my weakness.

I have the one with the round ice and I use it all the time.

It's stupid and I love it.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Warbird posted:

dumb round ice

Inzombiac posted:

It's stupid

checks out

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

CyberPingu posted:

That is blue as hell and I love it

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Inzombiac posted:

I don't think dental insurance, at least what I am familiar with in the US, is really insurance. Annual maximum benefits are pretty low.

A major point of insurance is to cover you in the case of unlikely & catastrophic costs. Dental insurance is more like a pre-payment plan for routine dental procedures.

edit: I am not a dentist, and will not weigh in on the wisdom tooth extraction. Personally my mom paid for my wisdom teeth to be extracted when I was in high school.

But for the future: since dentistry, like medicine in the US, is fee-for-service, as a result some dentists are really into prescribing procedures which may not really be needed. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Jan 30, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Umm that is actually genius round ice people!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That fridge is absolutely amazing. Very jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol at what stuff round-ice-maker-freezer users apparently have in their freezer according to whatever marketing person made that

(Ok I guess it's multiple shelves or something so they might have real food as well but still)