Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
The Carrington Event was time travellers getting lost on their way back to kill Crypto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I want a Sam Waterston NFT salesman commercial.
Or Ape Insurance

Collecting Ape insurance premiums then not paying out when they got stolen would be pretty sweet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jokes posted:

Finance is about the management of assets/liabilities/etc

Accounting is about determining the state of assets/liabilities/etc

Economics is basically just the data science behind assets/liabilities/etc

Economists and accountants support finance people and hate them. Finance people require accountants and economists and hate them. And everyone in each category hates themself, of course.

It’s possible to be an accountant who just enjoys number crunching and not hate yourself. My cousin Taylor does that poo poo all day including off-the-clock.

‘Course, he has Asperger’s, but he’s not an incel or Nazi or anything associated with it on the internet. He just loves calculating poo poo and would probably calculate actual poo poo for a fertilizer plant if you made it seem novel enough. Motherfucker just loves repetition.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I only ever hit that Twitter Spaces feature by accident and it's the first time I ever wanted to listen in on one but it ended but the time I saw it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall. I bet there were some galaxy brain takes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BigBadSteve posted:

Collecting Ape insurance premiums then not paying out when they got stolen would be pretty sweet.

I'd argue that, by design, possession = ownership for NFTs, so theft is impossible. Their policy is also non-transferable; clearly the NFT they're trying to submit a claim on no longer belongs to them, so it would not be covered.

If they manage to reobtain the NFT, their insurance coverage will take care of repairing any physical damage to it, as long as they meet their deductible.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

HootTheOwl posted:

Well a real money auction house is how you'd run a non-scam NFT in game: There's an asset, players can bid on it, and you could own ... I dunno stones of Jordan? as a speculative investment, or get real world rewards for farming them.
Except when you lay it bare like that gamers rightfully understand how awful that sounds and decry it. Companies are just trying to apply trending buzzwords to their existing models and thankfully this one is blowing up against them.

the problem is that you ultimately can't calibrate stuff like drop rates to make both players and "earners" happy. in order for stuff to be expensive, it needs to be rare. but if it's rare, people will get bored of grinding and give up on the game. meanwhile if the stuff is calibrated around it being realistic for players to get them through normal play, then it'll be cheap because nobody really needs to buy it since they'll just get the stuff by playing the game the way they always were.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Private Cumshoe posted:

please don't doxx my genitals

Don’t worry; it’s on the blockchain, so it’s anonymous.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

jpmeyer posted:

the problem is that you ultimately can't calibrate stuff like drop rates to make both players and "earners" happy. in order for stuff to be expensive, it needs to be rare. but if it's rare, people will get bored of grinding and give up on the game. meanwhile if the stuff is calibrated around it being realistic for players to get them through normal play, then it'll be cheap because nobody really needs to buy it since they'll just get the stuff by playing the game the way they always were.

There is also the question of where the money comes from. A game or subscription service can be profitable because small amounts of money pulled from a large userbase can give a small number of people (the developers) large amounts of money. But if a large fraction of players are trying to get money, then that has to come from the other players. So either the players making money don't make much, or the players spending money have to dump tons in. While some people have had livelihoods as gold farmers, it wasn't an expectation that gold farmers would make up a significant fraction of the playerbase.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Durzel posted:

Never has “The inmates are running the asylum” been a more apt simile.

it has never been a simile

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I…I can’t even come up with a comment to this. Ghost TiTTy’s graphs usually have a (non-sensical to misleading) scale or something to laugh at. This looks like a DNA helix with no context or meaning.

I am confounded (maybe I’m just not smart enough to to get the point and should just send all my dollars to a monkey?).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

why the gently caress didnt the mods permaban this clown

He’s an “influencer” ITT, he induced me to vomit.

Wait, that’s not it…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:drat:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Splorange posted:

Well, except if we get a nice well aimed solar flare. Please god let there be a whopper of a solar burp headed our way.

Please, no…I live outside of Memphis, TN. No power means no air conditioning and I will loving die in June. My eye hasn’t even had a chance to heal yet, and after a decade with no depth perception I kinda wanna see how it turns out!

Just destroy Bitcoin. The rest of the world is having a hiccup, but it’s nowhere near the worst 100 times to be alive and the simple fact you post online means you’ve got it better than 99.999% of all humans that ever lived. Crypto is stupid, but not worth scorching all the good things over!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What ever happens to that guy trying to get his bitcoins out of the city dump? Did he even get crushed to death trying to dig himself?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Maybe he got super swole from all the digging.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DerekSmartymans posted:

Please, no…I live outside of Memphis, TN. No power means no air conditioning and I will loving die in June. My eye hasn’t even had a chance to heal yet, and after a decade with no depth perception I kinda wanna see how it turns out!

Just destroy Bitcoin. The rest of the world is having a hiccup, but it’s nowhere near the worst 100 times to be alive and the simple fact you post online means you’ve got it better than 99.999% of all humans that ever lived. Crypto is stupid, but not worth scorching all the good things over!

Lol.

Move. Trust me on this, I left Memphis 6 years ago. Waking up to a sweaty rear end crack from May through October is not worth it for the BBQ.

I live at 7500ft above sea level, where the humidity is about 10% on a summer day. My rear end crack has never been drier. Or colder, it was about -10°F this morning.

Or throw $10k into solar.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yo someone pointed this out and now I can't unsee it

https://twitter.com/ColumboFanAcct/status/1487107342021939205?t=P4geRvuj7d0US74EonMchQ&s=19

On the one hand it's a slight stretch, on the other hand, black circle with an 18-tooth skull in the middle, white text above and below, and an acronym for the group flanking the central skull? It's really hard for that to happen twice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crime on a Dime posted:

it has never been a simile

It's like or as if the inmates are running the asylum!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Somfin posted:

Yo someone pointed this out and now I can't unsee it

https://twitter.com/ColumboFanAcct/status/1487107342021939205?t=P4geRvuj7d0US74EonMchQ&s=19

On the one hand it's a slight stretch, on the other hand, black circle with an 18-tooth skull in the middle, white text above and below, and an acronym for the group flanking the central skull? It's really hard for that to happen twice.

I was willing to say meh maybe not but why would they have that same art style? That wobbly style is what takes any potential good faith argument out for me. That and y’know, everything else matching.

Who is making that patch?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDr2L5RLag

Newest Rug Pull NTF Scam.....MINECRAFT!

$900k stolen, 10000 NTFs bought out in 8 minutes, the scammers insta deleted everything once the last NTF sold.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDr2L5RLag

Newest Rug Pull NTF Scam.....MINECRAFT!

$900k stolen, 10000 NTFs bought out in 8 minutes, the scammers insta deleted everything once the last NTF sold.

https://twitter.com/Blockverse_NFT/status/1487122480670064642

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tehinternet posted:

I was willing to say meh maybe not but why would they have that same art style? That wobbly style is what takes any potential good faith argument out for me. That and y’know, everything else matching.

Who is making that patch?

I think people tend to jump on "this is secretly nazi poo poo" a bit too much when nazis aren't actually involved. It helps to ask if it could be a coincidence, if nazis and the thing in question could have had similar inspirations, how likely is there an overlap, is the person using it plausibly stupid enough to put their secret nazi signal in plain sight, and is the person responsible a shithead.

In this case, I think it's inconclusive but I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Someone involved with NFTs being a lovely artist and bad graphics designer is likely. Someone involved with NFTs being a brain damaged white supremacist is extremely likely. I'm going 75% likely nazi, 25% just incompetent.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DerekSmartymans posted:

I…I can’t even come up with a comment to this. Ghost TiTTy’s graphs usually have a (non-sensical to misleading) scale or something to laugh at. This looks like a DNA helix with no context or meaning.

I am confounded (maybe I’m just not smart enough to to get the point and should just send all my dollars to a monkey?).

It’s incredibly asinine. The graph is about counting candles, which are literally just a representation of price movements for given time intervals (every 5min or 15min etc). It’s graph manipulation (cherry picking time intervals) to try to make an argument that isn’t there based on a methodology that’s fictional (which is basically all the graphs he shares). It’s technical analysis in the sense if you were to give a child a graph and ask them to find a pattern. It’s painfully stupid.

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 28, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
really my gut feeling with all of this NFT bullshit is that fundamentally you are ceding power and control to a system completely controlled and run by powerful groups. the entire value of what you 'own' is predicated on its existence in this larger context. imagine you have an NFT gun in some shooter game. it has 0 meaning to 'own' such a thing outside of the full context of the game in which it exists, how it works and how it's balanced against other elements of the game, all of which is completely controlled by the company. your 'ownership' of the asset is in actuality you paying to pretend to have some sort of control when in reality you have none at all

one could imagine in the future if 'support' for this stuff gets built into more places it will basically be an incredibly restrictive, inescapable form of DRM

and it's a bit weird that we went from 'information wants to be free' to 'nothing is free'

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

its basically a ton of people who are mad they missed the more recent dotcom boom that's yet to bust (tbh). back in the early 2010s if you were some random startup you got tons of funding and then waited to get bought out. some did well, others were just basically large hiring bonuses to join facegoog.

i think dan olsen covers that pretty well in his video. it's just rich people mad they didn't get obscenely rich so this is their golden ticket. and now a whole bunch of other grifters have latched on.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1487122030591893515

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

tehinternet posted:

My YouTube suggestions are all tech Jesus, guns and DIY poo poo p much

I’m kinda torn on YouTube because yeah, you can become an extremist rear end in a top hat on it, but you can also learn just about anything you want to learn how to do.

Fix an obscure washing machine? Done.

Repaste a GPU? Which model? Doesn’t matter, someone has done it.

Tie a tie? Yep.

Auto repair? Mmhmm.

Literally any computer toucher question? Your pick from 50 videos

It’s an insanely good resource if you go into with a goal or objective in mind.

I’ve said the same thing about specific (but not fetish-specific; Christ, that’s bleak) tech-or-knowledge subreddits. Stay away from generalizations and “popular” stuff, it’s all trash no matter what your opinions are. But subs like r/AbstractAlgebra or r/OpenSUSE aren’t overwhelmed by Nazicommunists (yet), although you might end up offended on r/Windows or r/Apple simply because they have lots more people subbed than r/ect.

YouTube channels follow this almost exact same pattern. You can watch Strimtom dissect Dungeons & Dragons Online to learn a good deal of info, but have way too many choices both decent and cringy for like Final Fantasy 7R because of the number of players. Most of my subscribed-to YouTube channels are actually recommended by Goons, tbh, simply because I have no guide to separating the two extremes for popular categories I don’t have much experience with (Linux n00b searches and computer monitor comparisons or benchmarking as recent examples).

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ok, so when you inevitably default on that loan I guess the loan provider is compensated with the (valueless) NFT. Cool way to sell an NFT for a cool million, why even bother making loan payments just default immediately and let the lender collect a jpeg.

Cool cool cool cool very cool and normal

Question about the rugpull thing, just so I'm clear. The cryptobros propose some NFT-powered game thing, in this case minecraft, and sell a bunch of NFTs with the promise and advertisement that "Yes, these are the leading edge of this cool game thing! Buy in now and have crazy hot jpegs when we go live!"
And then they just don't do any of that? Just sell some NFTs on a promise (not even contractually enforced) that they'll "yeah for sure definitely" make a game. Delete their discord, email, whatever and just vanish.

It's insane to me that there is even a question that these are a scam, not to mention the void in the legal system that doesn't even have a mechanism to prosecute OBVIOUS fraud. poo poo, even sketchy kickstarter projects have more consumer protection than this bullshit.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so, if you think he made sense you are a mark

I thought he made sense, but my RL name is Mark. Goddamn it!

Seriously, though…”mark” implies a con, and he never asked me for money or my ID details or anything? I watched the whole thing, too, and he wasn’t selling anything beyond “watch me pontificate for a long time.” Does he offer like a club or financial “tips” I (admittedly) could have dozed through? I watched from 2:00am -> 4:45am, but completely missed the apparent grift. I’m not calling you out; this is the first Dan Olsen video I’ve ever seen and just whiffed on your comment is all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mumpy Puffins doesn't know what the word "mark" means but he's probably been called it a few times and understands that it's an insult.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I thought he made sense, but my RL name is Mark. Goddamn it!

Seriously, though…”mark” implies a con, and he never asked me for money or my ID details or anything? I watched the whole thing, too, and he wasn’t selling anything beyond “watch me pontificate for a long time.” Does he offer like a club or financial “tips” I (admittedly) could have dozed through? I watched from 2:00am -> 4:45am, but completely missed the apparent grift. I’m not calling you out; this is the first Dan Olsen video I’ve ever seen and just whiffed on your comment is all.

Dan Olsen makes a lot of these long form videos. He has a Patreon. He doesn't sell merch. He does not profess to being a financial guru.

My guess is Mumpy Puffinz thought the video was pro-NFT before he actually bothered to click on it and when he realized his mistake he kinda half dug in and then just stopped talking about it. I could be wrong though.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Strong Sauce posted:

its basically a ton of people who are mad they missed the more recent dotcom boom that's yet to bust (tbh). back in the early 2010s if you were some random startup you got tons of funding and then waited to get bought out. some did well, others were just basically large hiring bonuses to join facegoog.

i think dan olsen covers that pretty well in his video. it's just rich people mad they didn't get obscenely rich so this is their golden ticket. and now a whole bunch of other grifters have latched on.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1487122030591893515

Holy poo poo can you do this legally

Because I mean I’m not seeing any moral wrong in screwing over financial institutions (so long as you’re paying taxes appropriately on the gains)

Using the NFT as collateral is just… amazing. Make a LLC and “oh no bankrupt” so sorry. If the institution doesn’t do their due diligence, that’s on them

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

PhazonLink posted:

but what if he saves himself as an nft ?

Wait… Bukele, or Jesus?

Terminology threw me off.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Hmm, yes. Performing exactly as projected.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

MechaCrash posted:

The rundown of similar attempts or actual implementations of this poo poo, as I understand them:

The "limited collector's edition" poo poo was tried by Ubisoft, they sold only a handful. A flop by any measure.

I don't even think that happened...

I just logged into Ghost Recon Breakpoint just to see what the deal with "Ubisoft Quartz" was and how much they are asking, but it doesn't seem that Ubisoft is even selling any NFTs? It appears that all five items that they've minted were all given away for free to X number of people...

The cheapest one on their maketplace right now is a skin for a pistol listed as the equivalent of $18.15, so I guess I can pay that much to buy a gun skin off of somebody who just so happened to log into the game faster than I did? I sure can't understand why gamers can't appreciate how amazing this system is...

I'm more amazed that 3000 people put in the effort to even log into this poo poo game to claim the free "digit".

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

tehinternet posted:

Because I mean I’m not seeing any moral wrong in screwing over financial institutions (so long as you’re paying taxes appropriately on the gains)

Using the NFT as collateral is just… amazing. Make a LLC and “oh no bankrupt” so sorry. If the institution doesn’t do their due diligence, that’s on them

Yeah, but this is *checks notes* cryptolender (??) Genesis (?) we're talking about!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

I think people tend to jump on "this is secretly nazi poo poo" a bit too much when nazis aren't actually involved. It helps to ask if it could be a coincidence, if nazis and the thing in question could have had similar inspirations, how likely is there an overlap, is the person using it plausibly stupid enough to put their secret nazi signal in plain sight, and is the person responsible a shithead.

In this case, I think it's inconclusive but I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt. Someone involved with NFTs being a lovely artist and bad graphics designer is likely. Someone involved with NFTs being a brain damaged white supremacist is extremely likely. I'm going 75% likely nazi, 25% just incompetent.

Yeah, I take that patch, throw in all the extremely racist poo poo in the BAYC generator, the fact that the NFT is about buying and selling (and experimenting on!) "apes" that are clearly meant to read as human, and the fact that crypto in general is part of the "sound money" ideological nightmare, and my numbers jump to the upper 90s. The thread has some links.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cyks posted:

I don't even think that happened...

I just logged into Ghost Recon Breakpoint just to see what the deal with "Ubisoft Quartz" was and how much they are asking, but it doesn't seem that Ubisoft is even selling any NFTs? It appears that all five items that they've minted were all given away for free to X number of people...

The cheapest one on their maketplace right now is a skin for a pistol listed as the equivalent of $18.15, so I guess I can pay that much to buy a gun skin off of somebody who just so happened to log into the game faster than I did? I sure can't understand why gamers can't appreciate how amazing this system is...

I'm more amazed that 3000 people put in the effort to even log into this poo poo game to claim the free "digit".

Going to place my bet now, Ubisoft NFTs go from being analogous to TF2 hats to literally stealing the system for rear end Creed (whatever it is you guys have in that game)s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tehinternet posted:

This is basically the crime they've empaneled a grand jury in New York for against Trump. Of course, in Trump's case he just told the financial institution his properties were worth more in order to defraud them rather than going through the effort of doing a fake sale.

What I'm saying is that it's fraud and unless you have money already, you can't use it to get more money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tehinternet posted:

I bet you can only use “cleared” or “approved” NFTs which are ones that they (or their associates, as scams are often group efforts) sell to you, or NFTs whose principal (I hate using that term for crypto poo poo) ultimately wound up in the provider’s pockets.

So if you buy an NFT for $50,000 from Loan Provider, then pull out a loan for $50,000 from Loan Provider, make 1 or 2 payments (and/or pay a fee), then default on it the Loan Provider just made money to the tune of 1 or 2 payments (and/or a fee).

You think you just got them but you got got.

Alternatively, they could be true believers and are collecting loan payments intending to sell the NFTs to others for a higher price knowing people will default after making a few payments. In this case, it might be that they give you $50,000 and you make a few payments or some fees and then default then they just bought an NFT “worth” “$50,000” for less than $50,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

exhibit A

exhibit B

exhib-