Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Not a movie, but On the Air fits otherwise as I recall. It's a very short running sitcom by David Lynch and Mark Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies where there’s a live performance of some kind going catastrophically wrong and everyone behind the scenes is scrambling to fix it? I’m thinking screwball comedies like

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!
The episode of Frasier with the radio play

Anyone got anything like this?

Welcome Back Mr. McDonald is literally the exact movie you want.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies where there’s a live performance of some kind going catastrophically wrong and everyone behind the scenes is scrambling to fix it? I’m thinking screwball comedies like

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!

There's a BBC series called The Goes Wrong Show that it's pretty close to this. The premise is that you, the viewer, are watching a live play but then everything goes wrong. So you don't actually see a lot of backstage antics, the focus is on the performers on stage trying to power though the fuckups. You do occasionally see a stage hand frantically trying to fix something while trying to stay out of view

I only saw one episode but it was pretty funny. They were trying to do a haunted mansion story but...everything went wrong! It used to be on prime but its not anymore :mad:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It’s not quite on the mark but Living in Oblivion might scratch your itch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!

What about Black Swan?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

What about Black Swan?

Addams Family Values!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!

Waiting for Guffman.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Are there any other movies like Lost In Translation or Roman Holiday ( I guess Blue Valentine would also count, alongside 500 days of summer,) where the protagonist has a chance encounter with a person that clearly changes them in someway, but where they don't end up together? Doesn't have to necessarily be a rom-com.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Are there any other movies like Lost In Translation or Roman Holiday ( I guess Blue Valentine would also count, alongside 500 days of summer,) where the protagonist has a chance encounter with a person that clearly changes them in someway, but where they don't end up together? Doesn't have to necessarily be a rom-com.

Cold War

Buffalo 66 (depending on how you interpret the ending)

Betty Blue (again open to intepretation but I think it'd scratch that itch)

In The Land of Blood and Honey

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

magic cactus posted:

Before Sunrise if taken as a standalone

Certified Copy

Basically every Wong Kar Wei movie -- that kind of bittersweet, star crossed lovers thing is his milieu. Start with In the Mood for Love

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Cold War

Buffalo 66 (depending on how you interpret the ending)

Betty Blue (again open to intepretation but I think it'd scratch that itch)

In The Land of Blood and Honey

I've found every other movie on your list except (go figure) Cold War. Is there a year attached? I'm mostly getting hits for documentaries

regulargonzalez posted:

Before Sunrise if taken as a standalone

Certified Copy

Basically every Wong Kar Wei movie -- that kind of bittersweet, star crossed lovers thing is his milieu. Start with In the Mood for Love

I totally forgot about Wong Kar Wei. I've seen pretty much all his stuff. Before Sunrise is good and I meant to add it to my examples but forgot I guess. I'll check out certified copy.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

magic cactus posted:

This is basically Eric Rohmer's entire career. My Night at Maud's, Chloe in the Afternoon, A Tale of Springtime. The first part of his anthology film Rendezvous in Paris might be my single favourite example of him exploring this trope. I'd also throw in his The Winter's Tale, as the main beat of the film is about the fallout from losing contact with the person who changed you. Even though it ultimately ends up deviating from what you want. My favourite Rohmer.

There are also a good half dozen (or more) beyond that where they do end up together. Basically just watch anything he made!

magic cactus posted:

I've found every other movie on your list except (go figure) Cold War. Is there a year attached? I'm mostly getting hits for documentaries

2018, Pawel Pawlikowski film.

E: Oh, I almost forgot Three Colours: Red! Which is absolutely spectacular, and absolutely in the romance-meets-non-romance niche. I think his Dekalog VI would too. A Short Film About Love is an expanded version of that, and would also be worth watching, but has a different ending, which is probably less of what you want

Allyn fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2022

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Allyn posted:

This is basically Eric Rohmer's entire career. My Night at Maud's, Chloe in the Afternoon, A Tale of Springtime. The first part of his anthology film Rendezvous in Paris might be my single favourite example of him exploring this trope. I'd also throw in his The Winter's Tale, as the main beat of the film is about the fallout from losing contact with the person who changed you. Even though it ultimately ends up deviating from what you want. My favourite Rohmer.

There are also a good half dozen (or more) beyond that where they do end up together. Basically just watch anything he made!

2018, Pawel Pawlikowski film.

E: Oh, I almost forgot Three Colours: Red! Which is absolutely spectacular, and absolutely in the romance-meets-non-romance niche. I think his Dekalog VI would too. A Short Film About Love is an expanded version of that, and would also be worth watching, but has a different ending, which is probably less of what you want

I somehow missed Rohmer when I was in my French New Wave phase. I'll definitely look into his stuff, thanks a bunch! I love Kieślowski but somehow haven't gotten around to watching the colors trilogy. I'll try out Red, might also do A Short Film About Love.

Edit: Watched both The Green Ray and My Night With Maude. Excellent and scratched that itch I was looking for. I'm gonna just work through the filmography I think. Thanks for a great recommendation!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 27, 2022

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I have a rare evening home to myself coming up and plan to watch the kind of film my fiance usually vetoes, preferably a sci-fi horror.

I really liked Coherence if anyone can recommend something in a similar vein. I've had Resolution on my list for a while but I didn't love The Endless.
I'd like to get thoroughly spooked or unsettled so really looking for something that takes itself seriously.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 27, 2022

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Resolution is about as far from sci-fi horror as you can get.

Personally the movie didn't click for me, but a lot of people like Annihilation.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked Annihilation a lot.
Possessor and Under the Skin are also horror/sci-fi that take themselves seriously and are unsettling

e: oh and Titane, which is a sort of techno-horror though I wouldn't say sci-fi

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 28, 2022

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Seconding Annihilation.
Ex Machina is also great.
While not as unsettling as those two I think you might enjoy Upgrade as well, it has a few very nasty moments.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tea Bone posted:

I have a rare evening home to myself coming up and plan to watch the kind of film my fiance usually vetoes, preferably a sci-fi horror.

I really liked Coherence if anyone can recommend something in a similar vein. I've had Resolution on my list for a while but I didn't love The Endless.
I'd like to get thoroughly spooked or unsettled so really looking for something that takes itself seriously.

Have you seen:
The Borderlands
As Above So Below
Sunshine
Sorcerer (not SF but really nails the tone imo)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

In the Earth (currently on Hulu in the US) might fit what you're looking for.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Sunshine is great, and I can also highly recommend In The Earth. As Above So Below slaps, but it's quite funny.

Along those lines maybe check out Black Mountain Side (not STEM sci fi but archaeology sci fi) or maybe Vivarium.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BioTech posted:

Seconding Annihilation.
Ex Machina is also great.
While not as unsettling as those two I think you might enjoy Upgrade as well, it has a few very nasty moments.

Gotta second Upgrade. Annihilation and Ex Machina are really great, but lose the thread a little as they go on IMO. Not really horror as such.

Upgrade commits 100% and really does some poo poo with its fight scenes you've never seen before. Not traditional horror either, I suppose, but it sort of works it way back around to it by the end. Doesn't slow down, either, which helps if you're "out of practice" with watching movies or however you want to put it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leigh Whannell's follow-up to Upgrade, The Invisible Man, is also very good. But be aware that they're both more horror-action than pure horror.

Seconding or thirding or whatever it is the recommendation for Possessor.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You might like Altered States or Timecrimes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

Tarkovsky's Stalker if you want something slower and a little more mature

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for some faster-paced adventure/mystery films made or set in the 40s or before—ideally in an "exotic" locale.

I've been watching 30s and 40s film serials which are fun, but are utterly lacking in the narrative department. I'd love for something that takes place in East Asia or the Pacific with some espionage and romance and a fistfight on a shadowy wharf and a missing diamond or whatnot.

Very open to things that capture the spirit but not the letter of the question as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for some faster-paced adventure/mystery films made or set in the 40s or before—ideally in an "exotic" locale.

I've been watching 30s and 40s film serials which are fun, but are utterly lacking in the narrative department. I'd love for something that takes place in East Asia or the Pacific with some espionage and romance and a fistfight on a shadowy wharf and a missing diamond or whatnot.

Very open to things that capture the spirit but not the letter of the question as well.

These came to mind but I'm not sure if they're what you want exactly:

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
The Shanghai Gesture (1941)
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Out of the Past (1947)
Key Largo (1948)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zogo posted:

These came to mind but I'm not sure if they're what you want exactly:

Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (1931)
The Shanghai Gesture (1941)
To Have and Have Not (1944)
Out of the Past (1947)
Key Largo (1948)

Two Hemmingway adaptions there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wizchine posted:

Two Hemmingway adaptions there.

I know To Have and Have Not (1944) is one but I didn't know there was another.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Zogo posted:

I know To Have and Have Not (1944) is one but I didn't know there was another.

Ha, whoops - there wasn't another on this list. My mistake.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would love any recommendations for moody, low-key scores. Thinking in the David Shire, Reznor, Greenwood lane. Bonus if it's on Spotify.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

morestuff posted:

Would love any recommendations for moody, low-key scores. Thinking in the David Shire, Reznor, Greenwood lane. Bonus if it's on Spotify.

Neil Young's soundtrack on Dead Man is one of my favorite film scores. It's not quite as low key as the other stuff you mentioned but it's definitely moody and I think you'd enjoy it!

EDIT: I just realized it might not be on spotify bc of the recent Neil Young-Spotify controversy, but it's def worth checking out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' work on The Proposition, as well as The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, is sublime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' work on The Proposition, as well as The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, is sublime.

I despeartely need a third in this trilogy. They are two of the best films of the century so far and just exude incredible moods.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I despeartely need a third in this trilogy. They are two of the best films of the century so far and just exude incredible moods.

I mean, Cave only wrote the score for Jesse James, but I'll absolutely go to bat for The Proposition being an incredible piece of cinema in essentially every respect.

It bums me out that the next Hillcoat / Cave movie score & screenplay collaboration was Lawless, because that movie was just ... not good, not good at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

The two just wrote a new film score for a documentary about Snow Leopards!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How similar to suicidal cowboys are snow leopards?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

suicidal cowboys are to snow leopards as homicidal lumberjacks are to snow aliens

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If I remember right the movie is more about a couple who sit in the middle of snow-blasted wilderness for months on end hoping to capture footage of a snow leopard, so it's not totally out of character for them

Edit: from the NYT review:

quote:

“The Velvet Queen” follows the wildlife photographer Vincent Munier and the writer Sylvain Tesson on a mission in a mountainous region of Tibet. They hope to catch a glimpse of a rare snow leopard. Their journey, with no guarantee of success, requires extreme patience and a disconnection from what Tesson, who narrates, calls the “puppet show of humanity.” At the end, he likens seeing the animal to the Promethean feat of stealing fire.

lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sleazy 80s neo-noir that gives those cool Miami Vice vibes? The rest of Mann's catalogue aside, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Sleazy 80s neo-noir that gives those cool Miami Vice vibes? The rest of Mann's catalogue aside, obviously.

Nighthawks maybe?