Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i have never even considered using an invuln in a normal dungeon what the gently caress is happening to the rest of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hallowed and Superbolide are awesome just to use as mitigation tools on big pulls.

Sometimes you have a lovely healer and you need to gamble with Living Dead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trash Ops posted:

i have never even considered using an invuln in a normal dungeon what the gently caress is happening to the rest of you

Me neither because tanking is a chump's game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's funny is that if you'd asked me a couple expansions ago to come up with a fitting invlun for DRK that's better than Living Dead I probably would've come up with something similar to Superbolide. You place yourself right on the edge of death but are invulnerable for a few seconds. It would've worked thematically pretty well. Then GNB got it so, well, RIP

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Oxyclean posted:

idk, healing feels like it's in a good spot for casual content to me.

I did a lot of dungeon grinding from 80-90 and there was a few instances where keeping the tank alive was miserable. I feel like healer much more easily gets into situations where they need to work harder then any other role - I dont think any role makes me sweat as hard as healer does when things go poorly. With tank and dps, mistakes or sloppy play just become someone else's problem.

I would argue this is not a good spot. This is my main problem with healing in normal content in this game, IMO. It's either incredibly stressful when people are getting hit by avoidable damage and you're trying to keep all the stack collectors alive (particularly as SGE), or it's piss easy boring when you get a competent group and you spend 95% of your time spamming Dosis.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hallowed is part of my normal CD rotation in dungeons, even ones without any huge pulls. It's 100% mitigation, not a panic button

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Living Dead can be fixed by giving it Wildfire style healing that only goes off if the accumulated healing is 100% of your health or greater. The issue with it unlike Holmgang is that you can't make use of the invuln without "wasting" heals unless Benediction specifically is used. At least this way allows the heals not go to waste even if the resource drain to do 100% healing on a DRK is high for non WHM.

Compared to the other tanks' short CD defensives, all DRK really needs to match them is lowering Oblation to like a 40 second charge. TBN does have a lower CD than the others even if that lower CD isn't utilized very often (except big pulls) but Oblation is more than double.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Living Dead should just not be poo poo, instead of improving it with a better smelling flavour of poo poo.

How about removing the death penalty altogether, and making it so that when you HP=1 and get the ignore death buff, if you get healed to the % threshold that normally removes the buff, you just become invincible for the rest of the buff's duration instead? Living Dead already has a longer cd than Holmgang for some reason despite being demonstrably worse so you wouldn't even have to nerf the cooldown to compensate, it'd just be worse Superbolide (which has a longer CD).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ojetor posted:

I would argue this is not a good spot. This is my main problem with healing in normal content in this game, IMO. It's either incredibly stressful when people are getting hit by avoidable damage and you're trying to keep all the stack collectors alive (particularly as SGE), or it's piss easy boring when you get a competent group and you spend 95% of your time spamming Dosis.

I guess, I just don't know how they'd fix it. I also don't mind it being easy in something like exdr because, well, exdr is pretty easy across the board, but things certainly can get hairy if mistakes start getting made.

My comment was partially aimed at the sentiment that healing should be harder in lower end content. I haven't the foggiest how you'd normalize things without doing something like making vuln less punishing, or introducing something like twice/thrice come ruin to more content, which would just also be another way to punish the healer.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I guess if you're of the mindset that the healer is responsible for all your mistakes.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Hogama posted:

I guess if you're of the mindset that the healer is responsible for all your mistakes.

Unfortunately, most people do indeed seem to have this mindset.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As much as I'd love normal content to actually need a healer, I've played with df healers before and a lot of them can't keep up with how it is currently.

I can get my fill in extremes and savages. The other stuff has to be clearable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Healing being easy is fine, it's that the thing you're doing instead of healing is really boring too. But my solution is to only play DPS in exdr so maybe I'm simply not the target demographic.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it's a sign that the class is well thought out that XIVCombo only has the 123 combo as an option for Reaper.

Although, is there any reason not to have Communio on the same button as Enshroud?

I feel the class could use a weak aura style mod that puts your current target's Death's Design on a bar as well.

CJ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 28, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unless there's some technical thing preventing it then no, since you can only use Communio while in shroud mode and it also immediately ends shroud when you use it.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The majority of damage in this game is at least partially avoidable, which means that the biggest determining factor on how much damage the group is taking is the play of the group. Unless that fundamentally changes somehow, that means that healing is always going to be a snoozefest with a good group compared with a bad group. You can't really reasonably hit better groups with unnavoidable or random damage (to add more healing checks without involving the skill of the players) without simultaneously making it impossible with bad groups unless you did something really arbitrary.

Guess you could just add more mobs that do unnavoidable group-wides or have mobs randomly hit DPS with non-lethal but still threatening damage during a pull or something, but honestly in order to make sure it's clearable, you'd probably have to tune it so that it's boring anyway. Personally I'm pretty happy with healer being mostly chill with occasional stress-explosions. I don't know why but it makes me feel pretty accomplished to desperately drag a bad group through a dungeon every once in a while, even though i would never want to do that every time out.

troofs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 28, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CJ posted:

I think it's a sign that the class is well thought out that XIVCombo only has the 123 combo as an option for Reaper.

static gcd sequences own and I will never get people who want to hit 1-1-1 instead of 1-2-3

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

static gcd sequences own and I will never get people who want to hit 1-1-1 instead of 1-2-3

It's because I want more space for more non-combo buttons.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah idg one-button combos because I find it much easier to track my position in the combo via muscle memory or whatever than by counting. also one-button gnashing fang combo feels so much lamer than three-button

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I like having the full thrust button

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Erg posted:

I like having the full thrust button

it's less fancy but I do like it more than heaven thrust

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SettingSun posted:

If fell cleave had a crunchier animation Warrior would be the perfect job.

Yeah basically. Warrior is really fun, pretty much the only change I'd make right now is some animation touch-ups

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hogama posted:

I mean, the alternative is to just let people fall down.

Sometimes its a good option if someone has a ton of vuln stacks, but in the circumstance where people are just taking some extra damage, keeping them alive is usually the better tactical decision.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SettingSun posted:

If fell cleave had a crunchier animation Warrior would be the perfect job.

fell cleave has one of the best animations in the game???? :confused:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Valentin posted:

yeah idg one-button combos because I find it much easier to track my position in the combo via muscle memory or whatever than by counting. also one-button gnashing fang combo feels so much lamer than three-button

Put gnashing fang on your bars 2 more times and it's like it never left!

Unrelated, yeah, war sucks to play but then so do the rest of the tanks except gnb. All the healers suck to play too to my dps addled brain. Give me more buttons to push that kill mobs better, cowards.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Insert name here posted:

Don't actually do this because I've eaten way too many tankbusters as DPS when the MT suddenly bites it because of this

Or do and laugh I guess, I ain't your mom

I have a bardtank macro yelling at the blues in DR to turn their stance on. Mainly because I use the big potions or elixirs or whatever they're called that buff damage and hp/armor so they'll just think "oh it's hitting someone who isn't dying, another tank must have picked it up" (assuming a healer noticed, I love healers who notice) until a tankbuster comes in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've had a "Who is tanking? Oh no! Monk is tanking!" macro for years, with some alts for other jobs.

They still get used with distressing regularity in duty finder.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like all of WAR's attack animations and their sound effects, they feel like hitting someone with an axe should. Everything DRK does feels weak in comparison, half its animations are just big purple splotches.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I love, love the after image tracing of the tip of DRKs sword. I didn't ever notice it until I started running drk with trusts

War rules too but right now drk is siren calling me

Pld and GNB :Lavar Burton no thanks:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

I like all of WAR's attack animations and their sound effects, they feel like hitting someone with an axe should. Everything DRK does feels weak in comparison, half its animations are just big purple splotches.

DRK swings are too slow. WAR winds up and then snaps that axe swing. DRK winds up slower and then just kinda swings. And the afterimage looks cool, but makes it feel even slower.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Trash Ops posted:

It's free DPS time for your healer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Pre-buff, the tank DPS spreadsheet had paladin doing 70 DPS less than warrior with my warrior-optimized melds. If I remelded it for drk/pld/gnb paladin DPS have been 30 higher. Post-buffs, spreadsheet has paladin doing 100 more DPS than warrior with the same set, again with another ~30 if I redid all of my pentamelds.

This is fine to me because paladin's rotation is significantly more challenging.

I'm i585.
WAR: 2135 crit, 2205 det, 400 dh, 400 skill speed, 1149 tenacity - 2.5 GCD
PLD: 2111 crit, 2205 det, 400 dh, 436 ss, 1137 tenacity - 2.49 gcd

I'm coming up with 300 dps difference on the Stone Sea Sky for the Final Day. I've done it multiple times on both jobs. WAR finishes 5-6 seconds faster and ACT reads 4.9-5k for war vs 4.6-4.7k dps for PLD.

I might be able to up the PLD dps if I were melded with DH instead of tenacity, but I don't know that it closes that gap still.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Yeah, I also like WARs animations better than DRKs, but I think it's more of a personal hangup. DRK just feels clumsy with how often you're hitting the ground, whereas hitting the ground somehow feels more appropriate as aWAR. I THINK I feel this way because the latter uses a big, unbalanced axe and just lets loose, whereas the former uses a big sword, which is supposed to be balanced better, so I'd wish they ended more animations with resetting their stance or whatever, something more evocative of HEMA, Rather than going for something wilder which to me ends up being a watered down version of WA ( but with added, admittedly cool, purple light effects)Feels like a wasted opportunity for differentiation, but I think it's more that I am a big nerd who thinks HEMA is very cool, especially with big ol' swords.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 28, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerrzhe posted:

fell cleave has one of the best animations in the game???? :confused:

"These silly story warriors getting consumed by their rage. Hey what does this button do..."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The animation, level, and general purpose of Oblation makes it feel like it was originally an upgrade to TBN but they couldn't figure out how to make it work, so instead it's just a bad feeling low impact button with a cool animation.

Combined with the "reduce the cooldown on Plunge by 5 seconds" trait and I think a lot of old DRK players feel like their job just got a shrug and doesn't have a clear direction or identity anymore. It's definitely fine numerically but I can feel that for sure.

lol I forgot about this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Trash Ops posted:

Day 2 of Tanking

https://twitter.com/redditFFXIV/status/1485665905707208710

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm i585.
WAR: 2135 crit, 2205 det, 400 dh, 400 skill speed, 1149 tenacity - 2.5 GCD
PLD: 2111 crit, 2205 det, 400 dh, 436 ss, 1137 tenacity - 2.49 gcd

I'm coming up with 300 dps difference on the Stone Sea Sky for the Final Day. I've done it multiple times on both jobs. WAR finishes 5-6 seconds faster and ACT reads 4.9-5k for war vs 4.6-4.7k dps for PLD.

I might be able to up the PLD dps if I were melded with DH instead of tenacity, but I don't know that it closes that gap still.

PLD plays ever so slightly better with raid buffs because a huge chunk of WAR's DPS doesn't benefit from the crit/Dhit raid buffs. Additionally, variance starts to come into play at the extreme high end fishing for crits/DHits which is why the highest percentile WAR (and MCH for that matter) are so much closer to the median compared to other classes since so much of their rotation is guaranteed crit hits.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

I love, love the after image tracing of the tip of DRKs sword. I didn't ever notice it until I started running drk with trusts

War rules too but right now drk is siren calling me

Pld and GNB :Lavar Burton no thanks:

I won't hear this slander against Rage of Halone :colbert:
By the way game, give it back instead of that weak-rear end spin on Royal Authority.

I mean, took me all the way up to Heavensward to be comfortable with mass pulls but once you're in you don't change back. Then you get splattered because it's low-level roulette time and whoops where are my CDs, why can't I pull the entirety of the manor up to the first boss?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think fell cleave was a lot more impressive when it wasn't like, a full 30% of the buttons you press, but something that came up two or three times a minute

I think paladin has the right idea for classes whose rotations do involve segments of 1-1-1. You need to at least change the animation to keep it more engaging, as the bare minimum (even though I'd prefer in general to be pressing a different button every GCD). Fell cleave getting increasingly over-the-top as you spam it during inner release would go a long way, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The wall pull between bosses 2 and 3 in Anamnesis, especially when it was new it was really convenient to use invuln, simple and clean