Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

she's keeping her arm locked straight and rotating her entire arm up from her shoulder when she shoots; that's not how recoil works at all. my immersion is loving ruined

Laser weapons wouldn't have recoil at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

kalel posted:

she's keeping her arm locked straight and rotating her entire arm up from her shoulder when she shoots; that's not how recoil works at all. my immersion is loving ruined

also why would a laser have recoil

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Laser weapons wouldn't have recoil at all.

The proper use of a personal laser weapon would be to pair it with a tracking camera set to target the enemy's eyes.

30 seconds into the fight everyone would be blinded for life.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Vakal posted:

The proper use of a personal laser weapon would be to pair it with a tracking camera set to target the enemy's eyes.

30 seconds into the fight everyone would be blinded for life.

oh yeah, uh huh, uh huh, *presses button on desk that opens trap door below you*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

oh yeah, uh huh, uh huh, *presses button on desk that opens trap door below you*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm sure some freak has a detailed multi page writeup on wookiepedia on how blasters work in the star wars universe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

love yourself this weekend and take time to watch Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum in Bill Duke’s excellent crime noir Deep Cover, please and thanks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

love yourself this weekend and take time to watch Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum in Bill Duke’s excellent crime noir Deep Cover, please and thanks.

I watched that a couple of months ago and it's really good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

priznat posted:

I'm sure some freak has a detailed multi page writeup on wookiepedia on how blasters work in the star wars universe

Tibanna gas!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think the EU the mandolorians beat Jedi by using actual guns.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I saw that in the theater, when I was waaaay too young for it. I've got it on DVD now, and it is indeed excellent.

Also, holy poo poo there's a Criterion release on blu-ray?!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

I saw that in the theater, when I was waaaay too young for it. I've got it on DVD now, and it is indeed excellent.

Also, holy poo poo there's a Criterion release on blu-ray?!?

Yeah I’m watching the criterion bluray now, the transfer is unreal.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
^^ Larry wasn't playing a rhobit like Robby Pat!

I just remembered since I got an xbox series x I actually have a blu-ray player again! I should watch some of my blu-rays again, altho they were pre-4K.

Criterion owns bones.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RYGOxhV.gif

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In March my local theater will be playing New York Ninja on 35mm. I normally don’t risk the plague box these days but….

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

^^ Larry wasn't playing a rhobit like Robby Pat!

I just remembered since I got an xbox series x I actually have a blu-ray player again! I should watch some of my blu-rays again, altho they were pre-4K.

Criterion owns bones.

Criterion blurays are usually super high quality anyway, unless you’re literally watching on a 100+ inch screen they’ll look great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/DanWritehead/status/1487044642956849155?t=QS8pYcyhjo_Yfo1eQmOg7g&s=19

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Last Samurai final battle except it's hundreds of Jedi getting mowed down by one boba fett cranking a gatling gun

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s kind of a testament to how good Blu-ray as a format is when companies like Criterion and Vinegar Syndrome can make movies look so goddamn good on a disc from 2006 made for TVs without HDR and in resolutions half of todays standard.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1487105210040274946

quote:

“Cage’s pet crow is named Hoogan and lives in the actor’s Las Vegas home inside a geodesic dome. According to Cage, ‘He has taken to calling me names…it’s comical, at least, it is to me. When I leave the room, he’ll say, ‘Bye,’ and then go, ‘rear end.’ Crows are very intelligent. And I like their appearance, the Edgar Allan Poe aspect. I like the goth element. I am a goth.’”

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I don't know what I find more charming, that Nic Cage is a goth or that his pet crow calls him an rear end :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hey what did the giant rear end army do before they discovered the bugs anyway

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Built space ships big enough to hurl asteroids at Earth #BeunosAiresWasAnInsideJob

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so this is kinda secondhand but iirc in the book the huge new world govmnt was set up after something called the "veteran wars" where vets from wars thought the young whippersnappers were becoming too soft and corrupt and only caring about personal gain and not enough about society and blah blah, so they rebelled and somehow conquered the world.

after that they setup a government system where you can only participate (be a citizen) after you served x years in the military, and everyone that didn't (civilians) can't.

to actually answer your question, i don't remember this being actually covered where i saw the summary, but i think it was just... there? either that, or it was locked in forever wars off-planet just to justify its existence. I can see both options being plausible though

also a reminder that heinlein never served in the US military because iirc he dodged the Vietnam draft
he served just before WWII my bad

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 28, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In the book humans are also at war with a tall blue humanoids species allied with the bugs.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Space Kablooey posted:

also a reminder that heinlein never served in the US military because iirc he dodged the Vietnam draft

He was in the Navy, during WWII: https://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/career-advice/military-transition/famous-veteran-robert-a-heinlein.html

I think you must have him mixed up with some other sci-fi author

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

poisonpill posted:

He was in the Navy, during WWII: https://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/career-advice/military-transition/famous-veteran-robert-a-heinlein.html

I think you must have him mixed up with some other sci-fi author

It's very likely that I have!

e; that article says he was retired from service in 1934, but yeah i probably mixed his story up anyway

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 28, 2022

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

KALEL

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

In the book humans are also at war with a tall blue humanoids species allied with the bugs.

Yeah, in the book humanity was going around, colonizing other worlds. This resulted in them having scrapes with the (many) other species out there. Basically the book's world just assumed the galaxy was full of different civilizations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dabir posted:

The Mandalorian effect
It's the Mandelorian effect, actually

Oh you think it's spelled the "Mandalorian" effect? You must also think it's the Berenstein Bears, huh.

That's the Mandelorian effect in action

kalel posted:

That's how recoil works in space

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You do have to think that with saget and norm gone, howie mandel's days are surely numbered

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

25 years ago we had Bobby's World, Little Bill, and Life with Louie. Now the World's hosed, The Bills Are Due, and we Got no Life!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kids today are lucky they'll never have to experience Bobby's World.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

joylessdivision posted:

I don't know what I find more charming, that Nic Cage is a goth or that his pet crow calls him an rear end :allears:

I think one of these facts is the cause of the other and it's not the way round Cage thinks it is.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know crows are a bit less intense than ravens, but frankly birds like that are not good pets. This is probably going to get the pet island mafia on my rear end but sometimes you just have to speak the truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccpJblDY50A

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Heat 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwxAQMfbDwE

it's a book

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
every time I see this I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
hehe

I didn't think it was that funny til she got on the bike. what an amazing decision