Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

The Haunting remake is a structural and pacing mess. Nothing happens until the final 5 minutes, and it fails to build the momentum for the payoff to work.

That's also true. One of the sillier aspects is that the tension of the story revolves around Eleanor slowly seeing things with the other characters assuming she's becoming delusional. But, there's a definite point where everyone witnesses a clearly supernatural event and the reaction by the other characters is so mild in comparison to what they're seeing that it makes it funny. A giant head leers down at them with disembodied hands ejecting from its mouth, and though they run away, they don't seem horrified or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Twin Cinema posted:

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer needs to be watched. Not because it's good, but because the final reveal is the most ridiculous reveal I have seen. And this includes Scream 2.

I lost my loving mind guesting on a horror podcast about the plot of this movie. The entire thing relies on either the audience being stupid enough that the twist works, or the characters being stupid enough that there is no twist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the twist is actually kinda sorta clever because if you don't know what the capital of Brazil is, and most of the people watching probably had no idea, then you're oblivious but if you know you think it's a goof in a stupid film until the twist.

Maybe I'm reading the film as more meta and self-aware than it actually is

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't have much of an issue with the capital of Brazil thing as much as I do with the idea that Ben Willis for some reason decided to send his son to Julie's college to hang around her for an entire semester. Like, why? What was the point of that if you're just gonna invite her to this isolated island anyway?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trailer Monday

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Netflix movie from no-name director, hm.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saw Creep last night. It was wicked good! I went in thinking "Pete from the League made a horror movie lmao" but by the end I was really impressed. It was pretty unsettling and blending in a lot of drama and black comedy really made up for it being "light" in the horror elements. Overall just a wicked engrossing movie, I really dug it and I went in expecting not to like it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Saw Creep last night. It was wicked good! I went in thinking "Pete from the League made a horror movie lmao" but by the end I was really impressed. It was pretty unsettling and blending in a lot of drama and black comedy really made up for it being "light" in the horror elements. Overall just a wicked engrossing movie, I really dug it and I went in expecting not to like it.

The sequal is really good too, manages to elevate the concept without feeling like a retread or getting stupid

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The sequel is just as good

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'm watching Bad Ben 9, and if you want another 90 minutes of irate fat bald man, you got it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah those Duplass boys can make good movies when they want to

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I lost my loving mind guesting on a horror podcast about the plot of this movie. The entire thing relies on either the audience being stupid enough that the twist works, or the characters being stupid enough that there is no twist.

I was like 13 when I saw it and spent the whole movie very confused. It’s not much of a twist because it doesnt have a ton of bearing on the plot one way or another but you do have to assume that the characters are smooth brained which the rest of the movie confirms.

The GET IT WILL, BENS SON? EH? reveal is way more egregious and goof troop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is also the rare film to feature the iconic phrase, "get jiggy with it". Timeless.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Or an uncredited Jack Black as a white rasta guy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Everything about about I Still Know What You Did Last Summer is geared basically to children.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I watched V/H/S/94, the first segment is really good and the two that follow it are a good time. The last two are very boring. All hail Raatma.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i watched the ritual last night on amazon. it was really good.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's been so long since I saw "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" but am I remembering right that the fisherman commissioned a fake radio station call-in contest that would give our protagonists free vacation packages regardless of whether they got the question right or not?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Speaking of ridiculous movies, I just watched Highwaymen with Jesus Caviezel. There is some really cool stunts/car poo poo in it. Turns out 45 minutes of the film was cut by the studio before release. What a shame.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bowmore posted:

I watched V/H/S/94, the first segment is really good and the two that follow it are a good time. The last two are very boring. All hail Raatma.

I thought the wraparound story concluded badly (I liked the opening with the cops finding people sitting around with the droning message in the back), but a lot of hits vs. misses for me. I liked the segment with the scientist making human/machine hybrids in his basement, it reminded me strongly of the videogame SOMA.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's been so long since I saw "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" but am I remembering right that the fisherman commissioned a fake radio station call-in contest that would give our protagonists free vacation packages regardless of whether they got the question right or not?

Yes.

But actually it's the fisherman's son who does it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm watching Bad Ben 9, and if you want another 90 minutes of irate fat bald man, you got it.

Yes please.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Backrooms stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py6c5NaHeB8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

married but discreet posted:

Netflix movie from no-name director, hm.

Tobe Hooper was a no-name director when he made TCM.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Watching Trauma (2017 not the Argento) on a recommendation 5 minutes in and I may have to slap the friend who recommended it…….

Edit: gently caress this Movie

In more exciting news my Scream cereal just got delivered

Gaz2k21 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 29, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Fit for a cereal killer no doubt.

I liked VHS 94, I had watched Viral a few days before and the difference in quality was vast. Viral was really disappointing.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I'm still waiting for them to do the sequel to VHS that everyone knows they must do at some point:

Betamax

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

I'm still waiting for them to do the sequel to VHS that everyone knows they must do at some point:

Betamax

Nahhhh have that as a separate franchise then have a crossover “Vs” movie

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Betamax

Laserdisc - a hard sci-fi horror anthology.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

I'm sure the what, 10th remake of TCM will be good.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Gaz2k21 posted:

Nahhhh have that as a separate franchise then have a crossover “Vs” movie

But we already know who wins, though!

Levantine posted:

Laserdisc - a hard sci-fi horror anthology.

"Do it." /Palpatine

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's a sequel, not a remake. My expectations are low but on paper it looks like it could be good to great.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

that was probably part of what made the original work. but also it was authentically grimy and raw because it was made on zero budget, and you had no idea what you were in for. This has neither of those things so it's probably going to have some epic kills or whatever but otherwise be poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Me, I'm just turned off by the plot synopsis of "them dang big city librul elites are making Bubba put on the face mask and pick up his chainsaw one last time!". Maybe it sounds worse than it is but I'm going to wait until reviews come out.

There hasn't been a single good TCM movie since 2 so I have low hopes of this one bucking the trend.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really need to watch the lesser TCMs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

davidspackage posted:

I thought the wraparound story concluded badly (I liked the opening with the cops finding people sitting around with the droning message in the back), but a lot of hits vs. misses for me. I liked the segment with the scientist making human/machine hybrids in his basement, it reminded me strongly of the videogame SOMA.
Yeah pretty much my thought exactly the chaotic veg crusher advert was the high point

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Betamax

But they already have failed spinoffs

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I ended up enjoying the Wrong Turn reboot so I'll give TCM a chance. It can't be worse than some of the recent ones.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I expect the new TCM to be totally fine and then forgotten a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

There hasn't been a single good TCM movie since 2 so I have low hopes of this one bucking the trend.

Even if that were the case,

a) much like the next Hellraiser, it probably wouldn't be even the third-worst entry in its franchise at this point, and

b) it's pretty wild to see takes like this

Because even if it were a remake (it's not), it comes off as saying horror remakes inherently suck or a lot of horror franchise entries are uniquely annoying to hear about happening

Do I think the 9th TCM film in 48 years is going to be great? No. Some people think the 9th Batman film in 23 years will be