Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zotix posted:

1) with launching with only two, we had plenty of time to do the horizontal progression stuff which now will put a strain on the more casual players.

Yeah this is the thing that kinda worries me. I'm probably going to be a pretty casual player and also I want to play more than one class, but I'm getting the feeling from reactions to this that I'll be left behind with nobody to play with if I don't commit to one class and go hard on gearing it up ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah this is the thing that kinda worries me. I'm probably going to be a pretty casual player and also I want to play more than one class, but I'm getting the feeling from reactions to this that I'll be left behind with nobody to play with if I don't commit to one class and go hard on gearing it up ASAP.

I think this concern is wildly overblown, and I'll elaborate on why I think this is the case.

1) The majority of players starting in NA/EU On 2/8-11 have not played the game yet. Some have on US closed beta, some have played RU/KR, but the majority of players haven't. This to me means that players won't know what they want to main. They are looking at tier lists, doing research, etc. But until you level a character to 50/60, get playing at end game, you won't know if you like it. This means people will be rerolling constantly, at least for 6-12 months in my opinion.

2) This is a game that rewards alts. Do you need alts? No, but the more you have the more gold you can produce weekly. There are fulltime LA players on Korea that have 20+ alts. Every one of those alts needed to be leveled up and played through content. I know people in most MMO's roll up an alt or 2, but in Lost Ark it's not uncommon for the average player like 6 months in to be running 3-5 characters or more to complete dailies. You have 1-2 mains, and the rest are feeding resources into those mains.

3) There's cross server for guardian raid queuing. You can't queue across regions, but if it's set up like RU/KR, you should be able to queue with players on other servers within your region.

4) There are so many players out there planning to take things slower like you are. Not everyone is a tryhard poop socker.

I think by the time the concerns you have about not having people to run the content, you might not even be playing the game any longer.

What they are doing is making it so entry t3 gear is going to be accessible within reason after launch. I think they had a serious concern internally that players would get to end of T1 and feel like there's nothing else to work towards, and stop playing. Then T2 would be released, and the same thing happens. By releasing T3 which is the main progression treadmill all other regions are on, it allows players to work at their pace through the content(which is going to be a metric gently caress ton of horizontal and vertical progression). Having this on release is a very good thing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Actually looking at classes the Soulfist feels like the reincarnation of Captain Marvel from Marvel Heroes, so I guess I'll make everyone sad by continually whiffing spirit bombs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can't alt's be leveled exclusively in your strong hold up to -2 levels below your main?

AFK leveling pretty much.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Can't alt's be leveled exclusively in your strong hold up to -2 levels below your main?

AFK leveling pretty much.

They still need to be ran through the gear grind which is where I believe a lot of the concern comes in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zotix posted:

2) This is a game that rewards alts. Do you need alts? No, but the more you have the more gold you can produce weekly. There are fulltime LA players on Korea that have 20+ alts. Every one of those alts needed to be leveled up and played through content. I know people in most MMO's roll up an alt or 2, but in Lost Ark it's not uncommon for the average player like 6 months in to be running 3-5 characters or more to complete dailies. You have 1-2 mains, and the rest are feeding resources into those mains.

This part really appeals to me, so that helps ease my concerns a bit. I love an MMO that encourages having a fleet of alts (like GW2) and enough of the classes in Lost Ark look fun that I'm sure there are at least a few I'll want to play a lot.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
As fearful as I am of some of the more grindy and MMO aspects of the game, I am still rather excited to check this out. The cool classes/combat/bosses and the news that they are taking measures to reduce said grind, among other things, is helping assuage me. Caught between starting as a Gunlancer and a Gunslinger/Deadeye: my MMO instincts push me to Gunlancer so I can tank it up and get party priority queues (and it helps that I like Monster Hunter gunlancing) but the part of me that wants the most complex, unique, crazy class wants Gunslinger/Deadeye for that smokin' sick weapon-switching style. Did anyone else see a particularly unique or flagship class in their beta experience? I always like to see if I can go for the most different/unique class for a game, like going for Mesmer in GW2 which was very Guild Wars specific compared to the usual warriors and wizards (not to say they can't have their unique quirks, but still).

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It looks like a list of sub-servers for launch was posted, we will have to figure out which to roll on. AFAIK these servers all have separate open world and guild registration, but all instanced content and economy is cross-server within the entire NA region?

I like Ladon because it reminds me of Breath of Fire.
code:
US East

Azena

Una

Regulus

Avesta

Galatur

Karta

Ladon

US West

Mari

Valtan

Enviska

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
a few people have mentioned that reddit and big streamers are planning on Azena right now, sooo uhhhh... not that one lol

probably after this weekend/next week, we will need to do some sort of poll to figure it out after more of the streamers and such make their plans so we can avoid the annoying population

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Interesting that there's SA servers but nothing for OCE/SEA.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The cross play would likely be within US East, or US West. Any of the servers within those groupings.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
The discord invite says it's invalid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snostorm posted:

The discord invite says it's invalid.

Try this

https://discord.gg/Wbv7Gqr6

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

a few people have mentioned that reddit and big streamers are planning on Azena right now, sooo uhhhh... not that one lol

probably after this weekend/next week, we will need to do some sort of poll to figure it out after more of the streamers and such make their plans so we can avoid the annoying population

Yeah I would recommend that we avoid Azena. Lost Ark is likely to be a game that big streamers don't just abandon after a week or two, but stick with for a long time. So certain servers are going to be jam packed. This is a PvE game too, so the server we choose to play together on is not that big of a deal. We can play on a small server and it's totally fine.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you pick a server too small the AH might be too small and the finding of good accessories may be rough.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I believe all the regions share an AH so that's not an issue. So all NA-E will share an AH, all of NA-W will share a different one, etc.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 28, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've decided I'm rolling a Paladin first because one of my favorite archetypes is "healer with a sword" and while I'm not super into the whole holy magic thing it still looks very cool. (I realize "support" in Lost Ark isn't straight-up "healer" but, y'know, shields and buffs and stuff are still extremely my poo poo.)

After that we'll see! A lot of classes look fun. Maybe Sorceress or Wardancer next.

Is there any indication of how long it'll be before they start adding in the classes that won't be there at launch? Not a specific timeline necessarily but "a couple months" to "check back next year" or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like the wife is rolling a Sorceress, so I think Paladin for me. Hopefully the shields and the like will help give her a bit more of a HP buffer when we are duoing.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Harrow posted:

Is there any indication of how long it'll be before they start adding in the classes that won't be there at launch? Not a specific timeline necessarily but "a couple months" to "check back next year" or something?

We have zero official indication at this point unfortunately.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Whenever the active player count starts to drop. :v:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If you haven't listened to the new Stoopzz and Saintone video I'd highly recommend it. Was vegging out on some Vampire Survivors last night listening to it. The sheer effort Smilegate is putting into this release dwarfs every other region. They know they have one chance, and they are going through so many hoops/ changes to westernize the game for us.

Their general concensus is don't worry about the sheer content of the and alts if it means burning out. Just play at your own pace.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The game director had a stream last night to thank the players for the gifts they left for his birthday and talked about the future content and addressing players concerns from the LOA ON event I guess. For NA launch relevant items apparently the final trailer is being done by Smilegate and not AGS as they have things they want to show off to the western audience. He also mentioned the final build for launch is done.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What is amazon's precise involvement as the western publisher here by the way and what kind of influence might they have?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doomisland posted:

The game director had a stream last night to thank the players for the gifts they left for his birthday and talked about the future content and addressing players concerns from the LOA ON event I guess. For NA launch relevant items apparently the final trailer is being done by Smilegate and not AGS as they have things they want to show off to the western audience. He also mentioned the final build for launch is done.

Here is the 10 min stream if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwklVemVu4

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What is amazon's precise involvement as the western publisher here by the way and what kind of influence might they have?

I don't think anyone really knows precisely the details of their arrangement, but it seems clear that they are at least somewhat beholden to SmileGate. People cynically theorized that the game's delay last year was to make room for New World, but it turned out it was SmileGate that actually pushed the delay in order to have more time to include some of the later expansion content for launch.

My best guess is that Amazon is making recommendations for how to not irritate western players and SG is making the decisions. Small or cosmetic changes might be implemented by Amazon, more substantial stuff like rebalancing content or changing how the economy works might involve more hand-in-hand coordination with SG. People have theorized that changes to game NPCs to give them more racial diversity, and swapping around some of the default PC outfits to slightly less horny choices were Amazon initiatives.

There are also a host of monetization related changes in the western version that make the game substantially easier to play for free or less money, but it's hard to say who exactly is responsible for that, since the game's Korean director seems to be pretty sharply aware of the reputation for rotten monetization that korean games have in the west.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 28, 2022

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Someone needs to count all the money.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
Just wanted to give a heads up, that if you have a RU account, you can make a character, save the template, and then grab it from:

\MyGames\LOSTARK\EFGame\Customizing

In theory you can then drop it in your Steam install in a similar folder for super fast character creation... maybe. I think we're getting extra customization options so maybe it won't work, but found out it was in theory possible and wanted to share.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think I might check this out and grab the cheap founder's pack and then. I'm probably going to play one of the shooty classes, but I'm still narrowing down which gunner I want.

I just bought the cheap founder's pack, which I will probably regret later, but I just don't know how grindy it's going to be and I don't think I'm really at the poop sock stage of my life these days.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Substandard posted:

I think I might check this out and grab the cheap founder's pack and then. I'm probably going to play one of the shooty classes, but I'm still narrowing down which gunner I want.

I just bought the cheap founder's pack, which I will probably regret later, but I just don't know how grindy it's going to be and I don't think I'm really at the poop sock stage of my life these days.

It's more time gated than grindy at a certain point. You can do only so many progression activities per character each day/week. So it's entirely up to you how grindy you want to make it. Want faster progression? Make an alt. If that's not your thing, stick to one character and progress at a slower rate than if you had an alt or two. It's up to you, find out what works for you.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I mean if you're not obsessively min-maxing every single second of the game to ensure the quickest most efficient gains are you even really playing???? :smug:

Yes.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

orphean posted:

I mean if you're not obsessively min-maxing every single second of the game to ensure the quickest most efficient gains are you even really playing???? :smug:

Yes.

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOO! :sickos:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm gonna go into this completely blind and will probably mostly play solo. What class do you think would make my time the most fun? I haven't done any research at all. I really want the "brand new game" feeling but I don't want to totally gently caress myself over with a bad class choice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I'm gonna go into this completely blind and will probably mostly play solo. What class do you think would make my time the most fun? I haven't done any research at all. I really want the "brand new game" feeling but I don't want to totally gently caress myself over with a bad class choice.

That’s a hard one.

What kinda classes did you like in MMOs?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PrinnySquad posted:

4-8 mans most commonly, very easy to get a static rolling.

Is it like FFXIV then - normal dungeons require 4-player groups, and raids need 8 (or more)?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

WhiteHowler posted:

Is it like FFXIV then - normal dungeons require 4-player groups, and raids need 8 (or more)?

According to a video I watched yes. 4 person dungeons and 8 person raids. And it's normally 1 support and 3 DPS per group, and buffs are not raid wide in the 8 man raids, so it's basically just 2 4-person groups composition wise.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MarcusSA posted:

That’s a hard one.

What kinda classes did you like in MMOs?

In WoW I most enjoyed warrior and demon hunter, but I also really enjoy stealth classes. Not as big on ranged combat unless that's the way to go for survivability in this game. Played a cleric build in D&D Online.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There is literally a 'become a demon' class so that might be up your alley.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

In WoW I most enjoyed warrior and demon hunter, but I also really enjoy stealth classes. Not as big on ranged combat unless that's the way to go for survivability in this game. Played a cleric build in D&D Online.

Ok well watch this video and check out bezerker, war dancer and scraper and see if you like how they look.

Some people like ranged in this game but I haven’t really been to keen on how it looks so far. It might play really well though.

https://youtu.be/4oIb35347MQ

You don’t have to watch the whole thing just scrub to those classes. It’s a decent video that gives a good idea on how the various classes play.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

There are no bad classes(no really). Every spec currently performs relatively closely. The producer talked about it yesterday. There's obviously a class that needs to sit at the top and bottom, but everything is very close. Nothing like elemental shamans vs Unholy DK gigachads doing twice the dps.

Kanon has a good video detailing the general play style of each class and their engravings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!!