Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss going forward because part of my disaster avoidance plan is to use a bunch of small SD cards (minimize lost shots if one card fails) and clone them to an SSD drive (get a backup asap) when on road trips. It's been fine for 12 years or so, but having a trip cut short just once has me rethinking the strategy.

It has me considering moving to cfexpress even though they cost insane money.. but those cards have even more pins so it's not like it reduces the danger all that much. But at least the slot isn't spring loaded, so maybe?

Anyone used Canon's repair service? Is everything instantly a four figure number? Or can they be fair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think they are too bad, I’ve had some minor body repairs and a lens fixed up and neither seemed outrageous. If you think it might be 4 figures (kind of doubt that) then make sure you have a CPS membership for the discount on repairs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trip report: repair ended up being $550-ish, $450 for the work and another $100 for shipping with insurance. A painful learning experience but not bank breaking.

Took about a 1.5 weeks, I put it in the mail on the 18th and I'll have it back in hand by the weekend.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone here with a R series camera tried the RF 100-500mm? My go to lens for super-telephoto has been a Sigma 150-600mm. With the EF and RF to adapter though its huge and heavy and sometimes I don't want to lug it around for miles on end when birding. Even with a 1.4x tele extender the 100-500 would be smaller and a pound lighter. I've looked at a few reviews but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with it considering the $3k price tag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The RF 100-500 is my next buy, I just need to scrounge up my pennies. It will be replacing my Tamron 150-600 which is a killer lens.. but like the Sigma, weighs approximately 69 pounds.

So I haven't tried it but my head is in the same place as yours. :v:

Youtube reviews of it are glowing. It's insanely sharp.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The RF 100-500 is my next buy, I just need to scrounge up my pennies. It will be replacing my Tamron 150-600 which is a killer lens.. but like the Sigma, weighs approximately 69 pounds.

So I haven't tried it but my head is in the same place as yours. :v:

Youtube reviews of it are glowing. It's insanely sharp.

I’m 100% in the same boat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It's got better reviews than the 100-400 II, which is itself stupidly well reviewed.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The RF 100-500 has an issues with the extender on, I don't think it can close down fully with the 1.4x/2.0x on. Which could make it awkward depending on your use case.

I think there was a price drop in the EF 500 f/4s as well. MPB UK seems to have knocked a few hundred off them.

3k for the RF 100-500 f/7.1 5.3k for a used EF 500 f/4

I think I am gonna trade in my R5 for an R7 if it ever releases..

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about this haha.

Yeah the extender bit doesn't bother me at all because most of the times I'm shooting birds with my 150-600mm, and I'm at 600mm anyway. My only concern would be if the sharpness on the 100-500mm with the 1.4x would still be better or equal to the 150-600mm. 1.4x would turn the 500mm to 700mm so if the quality is the same (or better) it's a win-win and worth the money in my book. The EF 500 f4 is a nice lens I'd love to have, but it doesn't fix the weight issue, in fact makes it worse.

I heard the rumored R7 was supposed to be APS-C? Sounds like a downgrade from an R5? I suppose it would depend on your use case.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's still no clear idea of what the next R bodies are going to look like. The latest post at Canon Rumors makes me think the r7 will be ff between the r5 and r6, and that the APS-C might slot below the R6 (given the mention of the M50), but we're not likely to see them anytime soon so it's kind of moot. Second half of 2022 probably means announced in the fall and good luck finding it.

I'd trade my R6 for an equivalent APS-C version in a heart beat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't do video so the R5 feels absolutely perfect to me.. barring some dramatic technology update I plan using it for 10 years. To be fair, given how much it costs that should be its minimum service life but we'll see.

It does action well, it does landscapes well, and it has enough megapixels to fix anything with a crop or print at hilarious sizes.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There's still no clear idea of what the next R bodies are going to look like. The latest post at Canon Rumors makes me think the r7 will be ff between the r5 and r6, and that the APS-C might slot below the R6 (given the mention of the M50), but we're not likely to see them anytime soon so it's kind of moot. Second half of 2022 probably means announced in the fall and good luck finding it.

I'd trade my R6 for an equivalent APS-C version in a heart beat.
If one is definitely a crop sensor version, the other two being updates to the R and RP would make sense; their latest cameras have matured a lot compared to those initial releases. An interesting question is how they are going to name them. The R6 should have been the R7(to borrow the 7D's heritage in sports/nature). The follow up to the R would then be the R6 (to borrow the 6D's heritage), and the RP becomes the R9. This would keep single digits strictly to full frame cameras. The top of the range crop would be the R10, with subsequent versions using marks. Any other lower cost crop versions can use the XX or XXXX numbering patterns from the DSLRs.

Of course what will happen:
The RP will get an RP Mark ii follow up.
R will become the R10
The top crop will becomes the R7 despite being much more akin to a mirrorless 90D than a mirrorless 7DII

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything more about the Canon Rumors guy? He just posted that he's quitting and selling the site because of harassment from youtubers/youtuber fans. God people suck. I'm having a hard time imagining how he's either famous or controversial enough to become a target.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I follow him on Facebook and the comment sections are complete trash. People trashing Canon no matter what the news is, people saying they switched to Nikon and never looked back even though that's demonstratively false. I can see how a toxic group of folks like that can shoot the messenger too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was on his Discord the first go-round, before he blew it up. Not really sure what to say about him. I think that site was basically his full-time gig, which seems a bit insane. I know he really tried to monetize it which has resulted in the site becoming near unusable in recent years. He definitely hated Facebook and was actively trying to turn comments off on there, but it was apparently impossible. I was a bit tuned out at the time, but he stuck his foot in his mouth in an apparently major way at some point and shut down the Discord to "erase the evidence" as it was related to me. Wouldn't shock me if whatever has people harassing him goes back to that. Unbelievable that anyone could care about a loving camera rumors site that much though.

It sounds like the site will stay up, but I suspect that if it shut down the biggest loser would be Canon. I don't really even think about Canon when I'm not actively out shooting, but the rumors are great publicity when I see them pop up in my RSS reader.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sad all around, it's fun to see the wacky patents show up, and a few years ago I actually got some tech help on the forums for a couple of questions I had. I even sent him a rumor once (not published, I found a typo on the CPS website that looked like a new lens).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I would appreciate a rumor as to when the R3 will ship :frog:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love how the options for charging camera batteries is to use Canon's horrible wall wart charger, or buy some knockoff garbage from amazon with 50/50 2 and 5 star reviews because for some people they work great and the rest of them it fell apart instantly.

Is it too much to ask for a dual battery charger with a usb-c port? Save me, Canon! Your charging brick is the only reason I bring an inverter in the car.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why not get a CBC-E6? Combine with a USB-C to 12V cable if you really want usb-c input.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because I'm using LP-E6NH batteries and it's not clear that it'll work. I think it would, the only real difference between E6 and E6NH is capacity (and a verification chip to allow newer bodies to shoot at full burst rate) but if I'm buying first party addons at first party markup, I really want it to list my gear in the compatibility matrix.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My 70-200 F2.8L is starting to separate. Its like some screws got loose internally and it occasionally messes (probably all the time, just to various degrees) with focus. I need to send it out for repair. Who's got a good repair place they've used before? I also heard you can microfocus lenses to specific camera bodies. Has anyone ever done that service?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Re: Canon Rumors - for some reason, I’m always surprised at how loving terrible a portion of the online photography community is. I’ve been getting back into it over the past few months after a long hiatus, and one visit to Dpreview forums (which can be helpful and has a ton of info) made me feel like it’s even worse now. Condescension, fanboys, etc.

You all are great and I’m thankful for the reading material while I lurk, because holy Christ is it awful out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's unfortunate how toxic dpreview is, because there is a lot of knowledge in there and they always show up in google results.

But getting through a thread is always pain.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Trip report: repair ended up being $550-ish, $450 for the work and another $100 for shipping with insurance. A painful learning experience but not bank breaking.

Took about a 1.5 weeks, I put it in the mail on the 18th and I'll have it back in hand by the weekend.
Makes me feel a bit better about the $200 quote for shutter replacement on my m50. It took the only Canon authorized service a whole week to reply with a quote. The other major non-official service never answered the phone lol. I wonder if I could just DIY this, they have the parts on ebay.

I really just wanted to upgrade to an R6 anyway but they are still surprisingly expensive even used and well now my current camera has 0 value until I fix it.

xzzy posted:

It's unfortunate how toxic dpreview is, because there is a lot of knowledge in there and they always show up in google results.

But getting through a thread is always pain.
The forums/comments are really bizarre, it's like a bunch of 13 year olds arguing about the best graphics cards in 1999 and not adult professionals or at least serious enthusiasts.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Haven't really ever shot moving things before so my Tamron 70-300 VC on my 5D has been more than adequate for my uses when I need to reach out a little. However, kids now to sports age and busted it out at the gym for basketball and that was absolutely a no go considering I can't bump ISO up much on this body. Fortunately my 85 1.8 bailed me out, but any recommendations for a faster zoom at a reasonable price? Not even looking for a stabilized lens, but haven't been in the market a while so not sure if there are decently priced options. Assuming the go to is still a Canon 70-200 2.8 but was hoping Tamron or Sigma had something competitive at 2.8.

Also in this type of lighting I was running that 85mm at 2.0 to get the shutter speed where I wanted, would the 70-200 f/4 be a lost cause there or is it better at light gathering than the 85 1.8?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Marklar posted:

Re: Canon Rumors - for some reason, I’m always surprised at how loving terrible a portion of the online photography community is. I’ve been getting back into it over the past few months after a long hiatus, and one visit to Dpreview forums (which can be helpful and has a ton of info) made me feel like it’s even worse now. Condescension, fanboys, etc.
And it's not like they're just people who are overly-enthusiastic about their gear. It's all fanboys obsessing and arguing over specs sheets. None of them seem to have any actual professional work behind them, either. I can't even sell used gear on FB Marketplace to younger guys without them awkwardly trying to coax me into a gear debate when we meet up in-person. Like please shut up and let's exchange money for this old-rear end lens. I don't care.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 13, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob Mundon posted:

Haven't really ever shot moving things before so my Tamron 70-300 VC on my 5D has been more than adequate for my uses when I need to reach out a little. However, kids now to sports age and busted it out at the gym for basketball and that was absolutely a no go considering I can't bump ISO up much on this body. Fortunately my 85 1.8 bailed me out, but any recommendations for a faster zoom at a reasonable price? Not even looking for a stabilized lens, but haven't been in the market a while so not sure if there are decently priced options. Assuming the go to is still a Canon 70-200 2.8 but was hoping Tamron or Sigma had something competitive at 2.8.

Also in this type of lighting I was running that 85mm at 2.0 to get the shutter speed where I wanted, would the 70-200 f/4 be a lost cause there or is it better at light gathering than the 85 1.8?

I'm not sure I can add anything to your lens thoughts but I'll just put it out there that for the amount you might put into a lens you might look at a different body that would improve your ISO and AF. MPB has a good condition 7D2 for less than $600. That camera is no high ISO champ but it's got to be a stop or two better than the original 5D.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
That's something I considered, but I'd still probably be lacking with the Tamron 70-300 (fastest it'll get is 5.0 with any amount of zoom on it), and still in the same boat looking for a new lens. Ideally it'd be both (with a bonus of WAY better focus ability) but given what I'm looking for a lens is likely the constraining factor here. Unless I'm just underestimating the impact of ISO boost, is it capable of going over 3,200 without getting too noisy? I was running at 1,000 so to get 2 stops would need to be 4,000 to get 2 stops.

*edit* man, KEH has a bargain grade..........that is my wheelhouse. Have really enjoyed having a full frame, but that's definitely a few generations of development by comparison.

*edit2* they also have an OG 6D bargain for $389, imagine the focus isn't as good as the 7D2 but it looks like it has the same ISO range and would keep me in full frame. How would those two stack up in ISO performance?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 13, 2022

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The 6D will have better high ISO performance than the 7D2. In fact, the 6D was even slightly better than the 5D3 for pure high ISO.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Man the 5D3 has the new focus on it though so best of both worlds, decisions decisions decisions. I guess the upside of boosting shutter with ISO vs aperture is you get more wiggle room on focus.... I ended up missing a LOT of shots being so wide open.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 13, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 6D is well regarded by astro folks for its low light performance. So if one were to consider a used upgrade, that's where I'd start. If you want a dry read to justify any potential purchase, try this:

https://clarkvision.com/articles/characteristics-of-best-cameras-and-lenses-for-nightscape-astro-photography/

If you want a longer focal length lens with a big aperture, can't ever go wrong with one of the 70-200 2.8's. Canon's is the gold standard but Sigma's and Tamron's versions are almost perfect copies (and depending on the test, might even be slightly better) and can be had for much cheaper.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not sure I can add anything to your lens thoughts but I'll just put it out there that for the amount you might put into a lens you might look at a different body that would improve your ISO and AF. MPB has a good condition 7D2 for less than $600. That camera is no high ISO champ but it's got to be a stop or two better than the original 5D.

Just noticed MPB lists shutter count on their postings. I've had good experience with KEH in the past, but how's MPB?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Mundon posted:

Just noticed MPB lists shutter count on their postings. I've had good experience with KEH in the past, but how's MPB?
Didnt KEH get sold and turn to garbage?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Sad to hear if so, at least they still offer what appears on the surface a good return policy. MPB lists pictures and shutter counts of each so that's nice, although how do returns stack up?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've sold gear to MPB, and that went fine. I sent them a body and a couple lenses that had no damage but were clearly used (plastic starting to show wear from gripping it, etc) and told them it was "good" and when they received it they kept the good rating on it.

I also bought one lens from them and the condition matched what they described on the site. It's a cheap Rokinon though so it's not much of a test of their system, is manual focus only so can't say how they grade on mechanical quality.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
MPB it is, just picked up a good condition 6D with less than an 8k shutter count for $429. Also they didn't charge tax in Texas so, bonus.

Even if KEH is every bit as good as they once were (and I had fantastic luck with them) it's hard to beat seeing pictures of the specific camera you are ordering and having a shutter count.

Also I forgot how handy live view can be. Started off with a T3i a loooong time ago before trading it in for the 5D and that was the one thing I really missed.

*Edit* Just realized I've bought a new body every 5 years and it's a 10 year old model each time on the cheap (5D was bought in 2015). Looking forward to my 6D MkII in 2027.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2022

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
With the 6D on the way, any recommendations for LP-E6 batteries? Looks like everything standardized after the 5D so I can't carry over my batteries.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Either first party if you love burning money or Neewer for third party. All the other knockoffs are probably fine but I've used Neewer for like ten years now.

Might as well get the lp-e6nh as they're the highest capacity option.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

evil_bunnY posted:

Didnt KEH get sold and turn to garbage?

I’ve bought a few lenses there in the last half year and it’s been good? But I dunno what the garbage part would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think they were bought out a while back and tightened up their grading so that perfectly good “bargain” grade stuff wasn’t universally “ugly but perfectly usable” anymore. So it’s now more on the buyer to return if they get a lemon. They probably cut staff and spend less time testing than they used to. But at least they still have the return policy.

Also I have had plenty of pain buying used high shutter count DSLRs. Mirror boxes just have so many things that can go kinda lovely (but not straight-up broke) after so many actuations. Eagerly awaiting the R5 used market in 2032.