Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Like, given the poo poo he's pulled since 2018, let alone during the pandemic, I cannot fathom what it would take to tarnish his reputation.

:canada::pisstape:?
Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Was it the crack scandal that finally made Rob lose re-election? Maybe something similar might finally sink Doug (lol).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. It was not running for re-election that made Rob lose re-election. If he hadn't dropped out and let Doug run in his place he would have won, crack scandal notwithstanding.

Doug lost because even the idiots of this city thought he was a greasy used car salesman. So instead they elected the twice failed former leader of the PCPO to be mayor.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So we just need a scandal bad enough to shame Doug into not running again. Then again I don't believe Doug can feel shame.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It was very probably health issues relating to the cancer that caused Rob to drop out, nothing to do with scandal.

Given the things Doug has gotten up to since being elected, I don't think shame exists as a concept for him.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 28, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man gently caress the CBC and other media for giving wall to wall coverage to a bunch of whiny plague lovers. They are so freaking thirsty for this to turn into Canada's 6th January that they might as well beg these tantrum throwing adult toddlers to storm parliament.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Madkal posted:

Man gently caress the CBC and other media for giving wall to wall coverage to a bunch of whiny plague lovers. They are so freaking thirsty for this to turn into Canada's 6th January that they might as well beg these tantrum throwing adult toddlers to storm parliament.

Saw the Ottawa police chief said they're worried about "lone wolves" because lol if we ever identify a white, right-wing violent mob as what it is.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well that explains why the Inuit carving store seems so well-guarded

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Madkal posted:

Talk to an actual working trucker doing their job for once, right?

They'll probably use language that can't be aired live to describe these whiny douchebags, but I think we all recognize that this is not even close to a significant portion of truck drivers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pleads posted:

Saw the Ottawa police chief said they're worried about "lone wolves" because lol if we ever identify a white, right-wing violent mob as what it is.

An entire pack of lone wolves, what are the odds?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

flakeloaf posted:

Well that explains why the Inuit carving store seems so well-guarded

So nobody one gets Inuit?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Madkal posted:

It's such a mug's game because no matter how much coverage the mainstream media gives these clowns, they'll just turn around and claim they're being ignored anyway because they're liars.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Starks posted:

The competition is really the problem. Horwath exposing herself as a fraud by opposing whatever Doug Ford did during his flip flop era, no matter how contradictory, is so funny to me. One week schools need to be closed to reduce cases, the next Ford is ruining education by closing schools. She was politically outmanoeuvred by a guy who was just trying to get everyone to stop yelling at him please.
Horwath sould have been kicked out of any competent political party after handing their balance of power to Kathleen Wynne... and I like Kathleen Wynne. Her last shot at redemption was slowing down the re-drawing of Toronto's municipal wards, but then she utterly face-planted by bringing up the Charter as vaccine passports were gaining traction. The ONDP could probably do better introducing another leader now; they could hardly do worse.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 29, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m seeing tons of social media posts saying that the media is obviously biased since they’re not admitting that the convoy has at least 50,000 trucks in it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They can only count as high as 20. After that, they run out of fingers and toes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m seeing tons of social media posts
There's your problem....

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

An entire pack of lone wolves, what are the odds?

Entire pack of lone wolves with Confederate Flags and Proud Boy stickers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

There's your problem....
Yeah, I know. It's just trhat they've bought into this 50,000 number and are now convinced that anyone not repeating it is trying to hide the truth.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m seeing tons of social media posts saying that the media is obviously biased since they’re not admitting that the convoy has at least 50,000 trucks in it.
Yeah, some of the worst people I went to high school with are claiming the trucks tail back all the way to Manitoba.

Stay safe, goons of the Thunder Bay/Sudbury Metropolitan Area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Speaking for Alberta: can we, uh, change the locks so they can't get back in?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

They'll probably use language that can't be aired live to describe these whiny douchebags, but I think we all recognize that this is not even close to a significant portion of truck drivers.
Canadaland was reporting the national association that represents truck drivers has denounced the convoy, and also went on to say truck drivers have a vaccination rate of around 90 percent. Definitely a vocal, crazy minority.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Speaking for Alberta: can we, uh, change the locks so they can't get back in?

Just put "Welcome to British Columbia" signs on our side of the Saskatchewan border and they'll turn around thinking they overshot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sashimi posted:

Canadaland was reporting the national association that represents truck drivers has denounced the convoy, and also went on to say truck drivers have a vaccination rate of around 90 percent. Definitely a vocal, crazy minority.

100%, and I also really abhor the attempt to paint this as some kind of a working-class movement. gently caress off; most of the working-class had no choice to stay home at any point during the pandemic, and was put at risk by a government that didn't give a single gently caress about their safety, and got the vaccines as soon as possible. The working class is the immigrants who were uncaringly exposed at meat-packing plants. The working class is teachers forced to teach in person with minimal protections. The working class is retail employees who are harassed by these anti-mask, anti-vaxx pieces of poo poo, and not allowed to do anything in response. The working class are the cooks preparing your SkipTheDishes meal and the drivers delivering it. The working class is the truckers still hauling goods because they did the sensible thing and got the vaccine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

90% seems to be pretty average. The TTC ended up suspending about 12% of its workforce for not complying with their vaccination mandate.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

PT6A posted:

The local CBC radio ran a segment a couple days ago where they did interview working truckers at a truckstop down near, I want to say Kingston perhaps - somewhere along the 401. There were maybe 4 or so of them, 3 of which had obvious Indian accents, and every one said they didn't support the convoy, were vaccinated, just wanted to be safe in their jobs etc.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Starks posted:

The competition is really the problem. Horwath exposing herself as a fraud by opposing whatever Doug Ford did during his flip flop era, no matter how contradictory, is so funny to me. One week schools need to be closed to reduce cases, the next Ford is ruining education by closing schools. She was politically outmanoeuvred by a guy who was just trying to get everyone to stop yelling at him please.

Her failure to capitalize on two straight years of unforced errors basically says everything about the ONDP's ability to form a government.

It's been brutal to watch. Ford should be losing conservative support with the constant flip-flops. Even before the pandemic, it was announce one thing, have everyone yell at them, and then reverse. And he's not exactly popular for it, but back to the point - this waffling is the perfect technique to stomp on an opposition leader without a firm plan of her own. When the opposition's reflexive move is to scream murder and oppose whatever the government says, by being stupid yourself you force the opposition to take terrible positions.

By way of a concrete example of this, Ford announced the cancelation of l'Université de l'Ontario français. And the NDP came out screaming murder. Ford canceling this thing was, unambiguously, the right move. By announcing the cancelation, then backing town, Ford is now positioned to hang this albatross on both the Liberals (who planned it) and the NPD (who fought hard for it) whereas it was his government ultimately let it go forward and squandered millions of public dollars.

This thing was predicted to be a disaster and it has been. For those who are not aware, l'Université de l'Ontario français is the only unilingual French university in Ontario. Ontario had well established bilingual universities (had, in that one is Laurentian), but there was a belief that the French population was underserved because students were forced to go to Quebec for French only studies.Where this thing became objectively stupid is that they decided to put l'Université de l'Ontario français in downtown Toronto. The most expensive place in Canada, which already has two Universities (plus York accessible by Subway) and a bunch of colleges. Oh yeah, and where French is not among the top ten spoken languages. So who exactly is this school for?

The answer is activists, not students. This year they had 14 (fourteen) Ontario grads apply to attend. Down from 19 the year before. Turns out Ontario students who want to study only in French actually don't want to live in a City where they have to speak English all the time.

The school is probably great for international franco students who want to learn English. So Ontario and Canada are each spending $126 million over 8 years mostly to educate foreign nationals.

Ford baited Horwath and the NDP into advocating for this thing, so he mostly gets off the hook for letting an obvious waste of money go ahead. And now he has ammunition for the next fight over French language rights.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It would be so easy to prove 50,000 truckers so you would think they would just post a drone photo or video or something. You'd be well into the hundreds of kilometers in terms of convoy length. And that's with no spacing at all.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

How is the Federal Liberal childcare promise going? I haven't really followed it beyond Ontario being the last holdout.

Dougie is going to agree to it come April/May

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I get all my news from a drag race meme account but they are always on point and even followed by some NDP provincial politicians.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 29, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Her failure to capitalize on two straight years of unforced errors basically says everything about the ONDP's ability to form a government.

She seems primed to once again lead the ondp to their best showing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Maneck posted:

When the opposition's reflexive move is to scream murder and oppose whatever the government says, by being stupid yourself you force the opposition to take terrible positions.
That's a brilliant explanation of the whole saga I hadn't thought of before, and it explains so many of Horvath's bad moves down to the vax passports / Charter poo poo. It's like she doesn't understand that the opposition can demand enhancements to a good idea instead of negating it, or that she thinks the electorate isn't smart of enough to give her party credit for it. It would also fit with her toppling government instead of continuing to drag the Ontario Liberals to the left.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

She seems primed to once again lead the ondp to their best showing.

Unfortunately. She’s Dwayne Casey in summer 2018 and the ONDP needs to find their Nick Nurse. Apologies to non sports fans.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I do appreciate that even the most generous shots the CBC can get of these idiots makes it only look like a few hundred people.

I hope they freeze their truck nuts off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I get all my news from a drag race meme account but they are always on point and even followed by some NDP provincial politicians.

I'm glad you enjoy these memes but I'm not sure what that first image of a dude in a coat is meant to convey so in the future please use timg and reconsider sharing barely legible cropped memes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The actual post on Instagram links to the story and was re-shared by Wab Kinew as well. Some psycho walks into an MLA office and starts spouting poo poo. Did you even read the text or are you crying about "big" images on a website that resizes things automatically?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZSuwwkgDpk/?hl=en

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Vintersorg posted:

The actual post on Instagram links to the story and was re-shared by Wab Kinew as well. Some psycho walks into an MLA office and starts spouting poo poo. Did you even read the text or are you crying about "big" images on a website that resizes things automatically?

They're context free screenshots of social media posts

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

The text from your phone screenshots says nothing about the bolded so I had no idea what you were talking about or why you posted them.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Lol have you read the text??? It basically just says “something bad happened”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

The text from your phone screenshots says nothing about the bolded so I had no idea what you were talking about or why you posted them.

it does actually say that but i don't think any of us outside of manitoba knew who "adriansalaforstjames" is so the meaning is pretty unclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I had to drive the 1 on the way east to help a friend move and Jesus loving Christ, we found the start of the rally driving down in Burnaby and they were blocking all lanes of traffic waving their loving Don’t Tread On Me flags on the ends of hockey sticks, with fascist black Canadian flags all over the place. It just kept going, and going, and going, for kilometers. There are so many people on overpasses cheering them on and their kids waiving flags.

It’s 100% a Fascist rally out here, under the guise of “supporting truckers”.