Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's technically more of an I-underlining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
RIP Dunkerque. You did a lot better than I thought you would, especially at longer ranges, but closing in against those 16"s was incredibly foolish, if incredibly brave.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
True believers in advancing with élan :france:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Doubt Dunk would've done enough damage at range to actually sink the Colorado; maybe a mission kill where the engines get taken out.

Pretty much the only way to actually secure kills at that range with 13" is a mag detonation; which is incredibly unlikely as technology advances in game.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
went out brave and shooty. A good death

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The bricks with guns on them will grind forward until forcibly halted by somebody's face. Unfortunately Dunk's face was too soft and the brick smashed right through it. Another time, perhaps. I do echo other posters' comments that Colorado ought to get the rest of her class's refits though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Complications posted:

The bricks with guns on them will grind forward until forcibly halted by somebody's face.

To a chorus of deafening tuba sounds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

The bricks with guns on them will grind forward until forcibly halted by somebody's face.

Truly war is hell (on aesthetics)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tree Bucket posted:

To a chorus of deafening tuba sounds

Thirteen tubas playing Ride of the Valkyries.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

MrYenko posted:

It's not thirteen tubas but will this suffice?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

https://youtu.be/W_TjeODELGk?t=59

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pro click

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Battle #24 ends the round of 16, pitching our undergunned German battleship Scharnhorst against a very dangerous pint-sized tournament favorite South Dakota.

Don't really see how Scharnhorst can approach this. Her guns pose very little danger to SoDak, and even with her very robust protection scheme, she's facing 16" rifles with heavyweight AP shells. SoDak is a nasty customer.

I think I might've made SoDak's barbette too high.

Scharnhorst has the pleasing dimensions of all German battleships. From the front she looks like a starship or something, all those guns facing forward.

SoDak's guns reach out a LONG way -- over 30km. She's accurate...Scharnhorst is straddled with the first salvo -- but she fails to score any hits for quite some time.

When she does hit, though, it is nasty. She catches the backside of Scharnhorst's deck and blows a big hole in her midsection.

Scharnhorst's fire is accurate and high volume, but her shells just thunk into SoDak's belt. Or deck, whatever. They're not making it through either.

This hit did a lot of damage. Blew up Scharnhorst's funnel and detonated in her engineering spaces, damaging an engine and slowing her to only 25 kts. She can no longer escape SoDak, even if she wanted to.

It is said one of the reasons German commanders liked lighter guns and shells was the increased rate of fire, and Scharnhorst most certainly puts out a ton of fire. She's hitting SoDak regularly and even started a fire near her conning tower, but hits like this really mean very little to a heavily armored ship.

I'm watching SoDak comfortably pound on Scharnhorst and then HOLY poo poo I completely forgot that Scharnhorst has torpedoes, and good ones! I don't know how I forgot this as it was basically how she upset Hood, but there out of nowhere a torpedo goes RIGHT under her keel. This shot is after it passed through her. I have no idea how it didn't hit, as it was dead-center.

The results of 61 11" hits on SoDak, with very little to show for it. Her bow is on fire I guess.

Scharnhorst, meanwhile, is eating a lot of 16" fire and is suffering. She's only been hit about 20 times at this point, but she's dealing with massive fires, serious flooding, and her speed is down to only 20 kts. It is a testament to her toughness though that her belt is able to deflect a handful of 16" shells on a very flat trajectory, all inside of 16km or so.

Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of it, but Scharnhorst got off another torpedo salvo, and this one hit. You can see one of the torps gliding away ahead of SoDak, but one hit her dead center amidships. SoDak has very good torpedo protection and the hit was not life threatening, but it got to her engineering spaces and reduced her speed to only 14 kts. Speed aside, her fighting capacity is undiminished, but this kind of damage was probably a couple months in drydock to repair.

Even after the torpedo strike, SoDak is having no trouble landing huge hits. Scharnhorst has major flooding and her decks are awash as multiple 16" shells cut through her midsection.

....and almost immediately after, Scharnhorst rolls over and sinks. Her torpedo strike was impressive -- she landed from a range of about 13km -- but other than that, she had no real way to seriously threaten SoDak. SoDak took care of business very quickly and efficiently, but had this been a real battle, the fleet would've been very annoyed at the severe damage from the torpedo strike taking her out of action for several months.

I kind of get the German interest in lighter guns. Cyclic rate is a nice thing to have; that plus good quality optical gunnery probably seemed like a very good combination for either commerce-raiding battleships or for fighting smaller ships at closer range. Ultimately, though, if you want to seriously threaten a battleship, you probably have to be able to get to something squishy inside, and Scharnhorst was simply unable to do this.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2022

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
And with that, we've reached the quarterfinals! We had some classic fights...the Eurofascist ships and Nelson/KGV were the highlights in my opinion. But now...aside from the remaining tubanoise battleship...we're down to all modern heavyweights. Every fight from here on out is going to be very, very close...I don't think there will be many one-sided shootouts anymore.

Updated bracket:

The fight I'm most looking forward to here is Vanguard/Richelieu, as they're about as closely matched as any two ships in the tournament. Iowa/Nelson also ought to be entertaining, as we see just how much punishment Nelson can take while Iowa finally has to fight an opponent that can actually hurt her.

BUT BEFORE THAT

I'm going to propose two more intermission battles!

Battle #1: Big vs Fast. The Scharnhorst fight got me thinking about the validity of smaller, high volume armaments. We'll take two identical hulls, fitted out as late-period ships. One will get as many 11" guns as I can cram on there. The other will get two giant (20" if I can fit them) guns in a single turret.

Battle #2: Savo Island Redux. Four New Orleans class heavy cruisers attempt to revise their great historical defeat at Guadalcanal, fighting with four Aoba-class heavy cruisers of the IJN. In daylight, this time.

If anyone has a suggestion for a third battle, throw it out! Remember we're a bit limited in what we can model though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Big vs Fast

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

bewbies posted:

If anyone has a suggestion for a third battle, throw it out! Remember we're a bit limited in what we can model though.

The Scharnhorst battle got me thinking another way entirely:

Given the limitations of the UA:D engine, how many torpedo tubes (and light guns) can you put on a ship and still get the game to call it a battleship, and how would it fare against...oh, anyone reasonably sensibly designed really. South Dakota? Yamato? Basically we need to find out if maybe the Japanese attempt at torpedo cruisers simply suffered from not having ENOUGH torpedo tubes.

Edit: Basically make a battleship-sized destroyer, all torpedo tubes and engines and as light an armament and armor as you can get away with.

Edit edit: "Torpedo battlecruiser" sounds like something Jackie Fisher might have designed after doing an absolute shedload of drugs.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 29, 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Savo sounds fun

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
This might be a fun time to start the loser bracket? Maybe put some of them together.

Or maybe some DD fights. I like the little botes and torpedoes can liven up anyone's day.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Torpedo Battlecruiser

Also we could go with ULTIMATE TUBA

just a big fat chonker with as much armor as possible and 21 knots

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So this thing?

Yes, that was actually a serious proposal. From a russian designer in 1913. And yes, that's 42 underwater torpedo tubes per side. :allears:

Edit: Proposal speed was 28 knots (powered by 15 boilers), with heavy even by (1913) battleship standards armor. Of course, the gun batteries were 7-inchers...

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 29, 2022

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tomn posted:

The Scharnhorst battle got me thinking another way entirely:

Given the limitations of the UA:D engine, how many torpedo tubes (and light guns) can you put on a ship and still get the game to call it a battleship, and how would it fare against...oh, anyone reasonably sensibly designed really. South Dakota? Yamato? Basically we need to find out if maybe the Japanese attempt at torpedo cruisers simply suffered from not having ENOUGH torpedo tubes.

Edit: Basically make a battleship-sized destroyer, all torpedo tubes and engines and as light an armament and armor as you can get away with.

Edit edit: "Torpedo battlecruiser" sounds like something Jackie Fisher might have designed after doing an absolute shedload of drugs.

Unfortunately this will get dumpstered hard.

You'd be better off with fast / armored / lightly gunned, the AI is also extremely good at dodging torpedoes fired from a single source.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Magni posted:

So this thing?

Yes, that was actually a serious proposal. From a russian designer in 1913. And yes, that's 42 torpedo tubes per side. :allears:

Edit: Proposla speed was 28 knots (powered by 15 boilers), with heavy even by (1913) battleship standards armor. Of course, the gun batteries were 7-inchers...

I might have to try this out in Waves of Steel, this is hilarious.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

drat I want to see Yamato vs Vanguard for the Division Title, that match would slap. Either way Van vs Rich is going to be incredible.

Iowa looking like the loving Patriots licking its chops over the Jets, Dolphins and Bills for the last decade of football over on the other side.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Tuba mini tourney? How many Standards were there in the original tournament?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Perfection. :allears:

re: Scharnhorst vs SoDak: those are some long-range torpedo shots from the Scharnhorst. The first salvo must've been launched at, what, 15+ km? Even one hit from the second salvo was legitimately pretty impressive against a firing, maneuvering target.

Intermission Vote: Savo Island Redux is my vote! Love to see what those tinplate cruisers get up to. Given the chance, though, I want a predreadnought bash.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'd like to see Dunk vs. Alaska or 2 Hippers or Deutschlands.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Savo Island

I got home to listen to this and it is definitely the tournament's Standard theme.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I'll vote for Big vs. Fast. For a future diversion, how about an east vs west battle where we have one big fleet battle with all the Standards named after eastern states vs all the Standards named after western states? Really enjoying this tourney, at this point I feel like anything could happen in the next round.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MeatloafCat posted:

I'll vote for Big vs. Fast. For a future diversion, how about an east vs west battle where we have one big fleet battle with all the Standards named after eastern states vs all the Standards named after western states? Really enjoying this tourney, at this point I feel like anything could happen in the next round.

So assuming we use the Mississippi as our East/West dividing marker, that would come out to:

West: Iowa, South Dakota, Colorado, and New Mexico versus:
East: New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Tennessee

So unfortunately it seems pretty stacked in favor of the West. Bewbies could decide to toss in some older Dreadnought classes like South Carolina, Florida, and Delaware to try and even things out, but with a 3-1 advantage in 16" ships the West will probably steamroll the match regardless.

Here's a thought: How many South Carolina-class ships (The first American dreadnoughts) would it take to overwhelm the last American-designed dreadnought, the Montana-class?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So assuming we use the Mississippi as our East/West dividing marker, that would come out to:

So unfortunately it seems pretty stacked in favor of the West. Bewbies could decide to toss in some older Dreadnought classes like South Carolina, Florida, and Delaware to try and even things out, but with a 3-1 advantage in 16" ships the West will probably steamroll the match regardless.

Here's a thought: How many South Carolina-class ships (The first American dreadnoughts) would it take to overwhelm the last American-designed dreadnought, the Montana-class?

Less than you'd think just because the Montana would run out of ammo.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Voting for Savo but I'm fine with either battle. A Tubanought battle would be fun as well.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Are we even supposed to be voting? Sounds like both matches are gonna happen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Not The Wendigo posted:

Are we even supposed to be voting? Sounds like both matches are gonna happen.

we are meant to suggest and vote for a THIRD match

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Infidelicious posted:

Unfortunately this will get dumpstered hard.

You'd be better off with fast / armored / lightly gunned, the AI is also extremely good at dodging torpedoes fired from a single source.

It depends on the range and speed. You can make this work still, although you need armor to survive hits.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Savo sounds pretty cool!

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I was thinking of just the Standard types, a tubadome perhaps? So west would get Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, California and Colorado whereas the east would get Oklahoma(for team balance, plus it's east of Nevada), Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Tennessee, Maryland and West Virginia. Ironically the east would get an extra Colorado, but the west would have more guns total. It's probably not worth bothering with, I can't remember if the editor lets you build multiple classes of the same type at once, plus that would be a ton of effort to setup.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
New Orleans are going to dump all over the Aobas in daylight with both veteran. Maybe make the New Orleans green to make things more interesting and that would kind of simulate it being night tim?

Also for round three I vote Sovietsky Soyuz V Montana.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
For battle 3, I want torpedo cruisers or just tons of destroyers vomiting out torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tiger Crazy posted:

For battle 3, I want torpedo cruisers or just tons of destroyers vomiting out torpedoes.

Maelstrom of Doom where torpedo cruisers and destroyers take on a Super Yamato