Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just Chamber posted:

BDG is great though some of his more recent stuff has been a bit hit or miss for me, which I is just the nature of producing regular funny content on YouTube. Still when he hits he hits hard.

Adjacently, is there a reason the McElboys have stopped making any YouTube comment that isn’t just a glorified podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sandwolf posted:

Adjacently, is there a reason the McElboys have stopped making any YouTube comment that isn’t just a glorified podcast?

Griffin's doing that playthrough of randomized Guy Fieri Zelda: Link to the Past, but

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Editing video content is a full time job and a pain in the rear end. They can afford an audio editor now who can handle all their podcasts, but it's probably beyond their means to have a full time staff video editor or to do it themselves, especially when it's not their main gig.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Editing video content is a full time job and a pain in the rear end. They can afford an audio editor now who can handle all their podcasts, but it's probably beyond their means to have a full time staff video editor or to do it themselves, especially when it's not their main gig.

I don't think it's an "affording it" issue--plenty of relatively small creators contract or outsource with editors regularly

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Empty Sandwich posted:

Griffin's doing that playthrough of randomized Guy Fieri Zelda: Link to the Past, but

I’d pay money to have Griffin do another Nuzlocke of any Pokémon game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TBH I think they just got bored/tired of it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I mean it used to be their job at Polygon. then they left to focus on live shows and they stopped doing YouTube, as much as I miss their overviews and other shows

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

i was waiting for the twist / punchline the whole time watching this and it never came. :geno:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zero One posted:

TBH I think they just got bored/tired of it.

I think it's that. they had an editor for the last... 10? Monster Factory eps. hell, maybe many more than that. I remember Griffin making notes for him a few times in-broadcast

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Sandwolf posted:

I’d pay money to have Griffin do another Nuzlocke of any Pokémon game.

"Y-you want us to call you Garbage Boy?"

"YESH."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

I've long since accepted that the tastes of the Besties do not match my own.

"I don't understand what's happening! What's going on in this story! The story isn't good. Where are all my cards to build a deck!"

Which one am I being?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think it's that. they had an editor for the last... 10? Monster Factory eps. hell, maybe many more than that. I remember Griffin making notes for him a few times in-broadcast

Clayton Ashley from Polygon was editing all their stuff for a while.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Remember the wildest take where Justin said that the Avengers game was a close second to Spiderman for best superhero game?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Facebook conned a lot of people with the “pivot to video” scam that the bottom fell out of in like late 2017 or such, so I doubt the bois will do any more video.

Also dat Seeso money ain’t ever coming back soooo

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
They're also doing weekly TAZ and trying to fit in more profitable projects. I could see them dusting off Monster Factory for the upcoming WWE game, though.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Pennsylvanian posted:

They're also doing weekly TAZ and trying to fit in more profitable projects. I could see them dusting off Monster Factory for the upcoming WWE game, though.

Elden Ring supposedly has an amazing character creator so there's hope there.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

Remember the wildest take where Justin said that the Avengers game was a close second to Spiderman for best superhero game?

games you play with a group of friends are good, even when they're bad

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the flashback in this week's ep brought tears to my eyes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
TEARS of BOREDOM

fuckin got em

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pennsylvanian posted:

yeah, more than video being an unprofitable venture for them (consider how active they are on TikTok) I just think they’re super busy being parents and also making weekly MBMBaM + TAZ + spousecasts.

I don’t think they have the time to do their podcasts in a photogenic studio way, nevermind a YouTube series or whatever. TAZ alone is a massive time sink

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, more than video being an unprofitable venture for them (consider how active they are on TikTok) I just think they’re super busy being parents and also making weekly MBMBaM + TAZ + spousecasts.

I don’t think they have the time to do their podcasts in a photogenic studio way, nevermind a YouTube series or whatever. TAZ alone is a massive time sink

Which is a bummer because the best content they've produced was for YouTube. Monster factory, griffin's solo stuff (peace craft, nuzlocke), car boys etc.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 31, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I was thinking about car boys the other day for some reason and now annoyed I was at Nick Robinson for being a big dumb idiot.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

External Organs posted:

I was thinking about car boys the other day for some reason and now annoyed I was at Nick Robinson for being a big dumb idiot.

Yeah :( at least I got to enjoy the perfect ending of car boys in ignorance before that all happened but it still sucks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Cool Games Inc was a good podcast before that news came out

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I still regularly reference Hugh Jackman's Huge Actin'

It was a good podcast

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was

I can't find that stupid music video for old persona or whatever the hell anymore though

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

This is amazing, I love it so much

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed munch squad this week. The reveal from the count that blood drive will get you 12 free donuts, BUT glazed only got a nasty cackle from me. Even when companies try to do "the right thing" they still have a catch.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This week’s TAZ felt skip-worthy. Way too serious and slow.

And I really miss Cool Games Inc. and Monster Factory.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Improbable Lobster posted:

It really was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nZwWaYdFAU

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 2, 2022

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Harriet Carker posted:

This week’s TAZ felt skip-worthy. Way too serious and slow.

I know they do it a lot, but in this episode I especially noticed how often Travis & Griffin will sometimes do this little exasperated sigh before they start talking, especially when their characters are stressed.

Like, Travis: "*angry sigh* I don't like you, NPC" / Griffin:"*angry sigh* I know you don't like me Devo but we have to work together"

I don't think Clint or Justin do it that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do and I just don't notice it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Relistening to The Quiet Year playthrough, I kind of wonder what the current season would be like without Griffin bringing so much to the table to begin with.

There was already a world before the submersion with its own sparse cosmology. There were already four main groups. Everyone started with the working knowledge that the world was going to be submerged.

Was Friends at the Table more or less open-ended? Because, listening again, it seems like The Quiet Year was a way to populate the ocean they knew they were going to play in with weird poo poo, not necessarily a way to organically build to a world subsumed by a weird ocean.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Here’s the great thing: even if this one was eh, there will be a new one to be mad about next week!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

Here’s the great thing: even if this one was eh, there will be a new one to be mad about next week!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Warbird posted:

No doubt! This was one of the only episodes of the current arc I thought was a stinker and overall I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I’ve just always liked TAZ when it’s weirder and sillier and less when they try to be serious and actually try to tackle heavy themes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Inkspot posted:

Relistening to The Quiet Year playthrough, I kind of wonder what the current season would be like without Griffin bringing so much to the table to begin with.

There was already a world before the submersion with its own sparse cosmology. There were already four main groups. Everyone started with the working knowledge that the world was going to be submerged.

Was Friends at the Table more or less open-ended? Because, listening again, it seems like The Quiet Year was a way to populate the ocean they knew they were going to play in with weird poo poo, not necessarily a way to organically build to a world subsumed by a weird ocean.

Listen to FatT and find out!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Justin McElroy really needs to show up on an April 1st MBMBAM in some form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Richard Stink and/or Count Donut appears, they do their segment and leave, only it's a different Justin they put back in the show

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Entropic posted:

i was waiting for the twist / punchline the whole time watching this and it never came. :geno:
some people just can't appreciate art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Justin McElroy really needs to show up on an April 1st MBMBAM in some form.

no, april 1st is supposed to be for funny things

e: oh you mean the reporter