Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VitalSigns posted:

Ok?

The existence of armed robbery doesn't explain why the media treats shoplifting as a bigger problem than wage theft

Generally no one gets shot during wage theft..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

You have to remove the character limit client-side. To do this, edit the thread, (in Chrome) right-click Inspect on the thread title field to open the DOM Inspector. Change maxlength=85 to maxlength=100

:staredog:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horsehackerman

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
cheers to the first person to use this information to post the whole galt's speech as a thread title

edit: please don't do this and please don't blame me when they do

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

World Famous W posted:

cheers to the first person to use this information to post the whole galt's speech as a thread title

edit: please don't do this and please don't blame me when they do

Unfortunately, the forums will cut thread titles off at 100 characters, so you can't galtse in a thread title. It's just a trick to squeeze out another 15 characters. I also can't take credit for it but am surprised it's not wider knowledge

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Unfortunately, the forums will cut thread titles off at 100 characters, so you can't galtse in a thread title. It's just a trick to squeeze out another 15 characters. I also can't take credit for it but am surprised it's not wider knowledge

It's more likely that the human brain can't hold all the ways the forums can be broken, so knowledge like that was pushed out to make room for newer, more destructive ways.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Spending 10 bucks every evening to gather my thoughts and post my life's journal entry as a D&D thread title

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

....are you really going down this road?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I know the radium code is hilariously bad, but how is the character limit set on the client side in TYOOL 2022?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
capitalism.txt sadly. to squeeze every ounce of profit from the forums Lowtax hired poor Taiwanese children to code the site for a nickel a day. Their little fingers have turned to nubs leaving no way to update the code.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PeterCat posted:

No, they starve or freeze or die of preventable disease or give in to depression or-

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm the person who brought up shoplifting and even I don't think shoplifting is even the same kind of problem as wagetheft.

Shoplifting is a problem, and it will grow, and statistics on it will be suppressed, but it's a symptom of an unhealthy society like addiction or suicide. It's a problem in the sense that we should be looking at it to fix the issues that push people to degrading and dangerous activities like shoplifting. Professional shoplifting - that is, as a primary source of income- is not actually easier than working, is stressful, and shameful. People are harmed during shoplifting events. Two people have been stabbed in Seattle this year and that's just two I was paying attention to. But you can't solve it with police. It's a social illness.

Wage theft is a crime of capital, not desperation, and also carelessness. It too has roots in social illness (particularly when people give into peer pressure working off the clock or refusing to take breaks out of a warped sense of responsibility). But it is mostly something that can be fixed with police and investigation and it's telling that we'd rather spend money to bust shoplifters as a society.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know the radium code is hilariously bad, but how is the character limit set on the client side in TYOOL 2022?

Lowtax was going to fix it but tragically succumbed to rapid lead poisoning

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

capitalism.txt sadly. to squeeze every ounce of profit from the forums Lowtax hired poor Taiwanese children to code the site for a nickel a day. Their little fingers have turned to nubs leaving no way to update the code.

Remember when they removed the slur from the code and the forums broke for a few hours.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Ascending to forums God by right clicking to inspect every time I reply to toggle html from the client side (lmao) to reinforce admin="yes" and editing all subsequent user comments to be a cascade of cultish praise

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Scags McDouglas posted:

Ascending to forums God by right clicking to inspect every time I reply to toggle html from the client side (lmao) to reinforce admin="yes" and editing all subsequent user comments to be a cascade of cultish praise

Imagine thinking that radium code would have a sensible usergroup name like "admin"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mendrian posted:

I'm the person who brought up shoplifting and even I don't think shoplifting is even the same kind of problem as wagetheft.

Shoplifting is a problem, and it will grow, and statistics on it will be suppressed, but it's a symptom of an unhealthy society like addiction or suicide. It's a problem in the sense that we should be looking at it to fix the issues that push people to degrading and dangerous activities like shoplifting. Professional shoplifting - that is, as a primary source of income- is not actually easier than working, is stressful, and shameful. People are harmed during shoplifting events. Two people have been stabbed in Seattle this year and that's just two I was paying attention to. But you can't solve it with police. It's a social illness.

Wage theft is a crime of capital, not desperation, and also carelessness. It too has roots in social illness (particularly when people give into peer pressure working off the clock or refusing to take breaks out of a warped sense of responsibility). But it is mostly something that can be fixed with police and investigation and it's telling that we'd rather spend money to bust shoplifters as a society.

For as many "help wanted" signs that are out there, there isn't an excuse to be stealing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PeterCat posted:

This is nothing new. There are tons of places to live in the interior of the country but people won't live there because they'd rather bitch about being unemployed in NYC.

PeterCat posted:

PeterCat posted:

For as many "help wanted" signs that are out there, there isn't an excuse to be stealing.

gently caress off with this attitude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

"How dare you not work the poverty wage job that won't provide enough for food, shelter, and medical care. Are there no prisons, no poor houses?"

Is this really the best line of argument you have for this PeterCat?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 29, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

People aren't stealing because they don't want to work. Again, full or part time shoplifting is objectively more difficult than working. It might be marginally more lucrative, but that's a testament to how little jobs pay.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sam's club in Maple Grove Minnesota a town near Minneapolis is hiring car wash attendants for $18 an hour.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk...26l%3DMinnesota

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

People aren't stealing because they don't want to work. Again, full or part time shoplifting is objectively more difficult than working. It might be marginally more lucrative, but that's a testament to how little jobs pay.

I really think this is a regional issue. Like, massive shoplifting surges aren't happening in places with aggressive policing (policing is a whole other issue I know).

But like, California is seeing this because of Californias policies

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Trollologist posted:

I really think this is a regional issue. Like, massive shoplifting surges aren't happening in places with aggressive policing (policing is a whole other issue I know).

Which would those be?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PeterCat posted:

Sam's club in Maple Grove Minnesota a town near Minneapolis is hiring car wash attendants for $18 an hour.

You're willfully not listening.

Again this is just from 20 years of experience in service and retail but the vast majority of serial petty offenders are people with addiction or mental issues. They are not stealing because they are lazy, because for the most part shoplifting is harder and less lucrativen than work. They are stealing because they are unemployable, or have situations that make them unable to find or retain work. If this is controversial to you I seriously suggest you reexamine how you view these people because they are left to the mercy of a system that does not acknowledge they have obstacles to employment.

I say this as someone whose job is literally to minimize loss from theft. I have no broad data but this is my area of speciality.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PeterCat posted:

Please, please read about the cycle of poverty. It's much larger than simply "won't get a job for no reason" (or whatever you've been insinuating for several posts)

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 29, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trollologist posted:

Reports of shoplifting surges have almost certainly been exaggerated, to put it mildly:

quote:

Broader crime statistics paint a picture of a decreasing problem, not one on the rise. National crime statistics from the FBI show shoplifting decreasing steadily every year from 2015 through 2020, the most recent data available. Larceny — the taking of property without using force or breaking in — declined 16% between 2010 and 2019, then dipped even lower in 2020, the data indicate.

At a local level, more up-to-date statistics sharpen the image of a waning problem. Property crime in Los Angeles is up 2.6% from last year, according to LAPD numbers published Nov. 27, but down 6.6% from 2019. The category that includes shoplifting — “personal/other theft” per LAPD — is down 32% from 2019. A San Francisco Chronicle analysis of that city’s shoplifting crime data showed that the number of monthly reports had changed little in the last three years, though it also raised some major questions about the accuracy of shoplifting reporting to law enforcement. Smash-and-grab thefts are classified differently because they involve violence, trespassing and high-value hauls, and suspects have been charged with robbery, burglary or grand theft after recent incidents in L.A. and San Francisco.

One thing that has gone up is the visibility of open theft from stores. Ubiquitous security cameras and smartphones mean that few crimes go unrecorded, and videos of people loading up bags and carts with products and walking out the door make for viral content.

The ease of committing a crime like that is, in some part, traceable to decisions made by the retailers themselves, according to industry analysts.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I can only speak for two states where I work, but this is a half truth. Cameras at most retail locations are decades old and you can't snap cellphone pics of people as evidence.

I am willing to concede that it isn't an "epidemic" but industry analysts have a vested interest in reporting low amounts of loss. What has changed is how companies approach LP because most retailers can no longer afford to suffer huge margin losses. Plus the visibility of shoplifters themselves has changed.

Give it six months is all I'm saying.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

It's good to steal things, Peter.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mendrian posted:

I can only speak for two states where I work, but this is a half truth. Cameras at most retail locations are decades old and you can't snap cellphone pics of people as evidence.

I am willing to concede that it isn't an "epidemic" but industry analysts have a vested interest in reporting low amounts of loss. What has changed is how companies approach LP because most retailers can no longer afford to suffer huge margin losses. Plus the visibility of shoplifters themselves has changed.

Give it six months is all I'm saying.

How much of it has to do with expansions of self-checkout? If the one clerk assigned to 4-8 stations isn't paying attention it's real easy to "forget" something on your cart like the soda.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Republicans posted:

How much of it has to do with expansions of self-checkout? If the one clerk assigned to 4-8 stations isn't paying attention it's real easy to "forget" something on your cart like the soda.

Certainly some of it is personnel reduction in general but I think self checkout factors into this surprisingly little. If a store has an issue with someone "forgetting" to ring up a bottle of coke they probably also don't have the manpower to notice someone walking out with an entire carriage of stuff in the first place

Self checkout is a symptom of lower investment in personnel so I'd say it's directly correlated but I'm unsure it's causal. It would contribute to small losses but the big losses - Lego, electronics, etc - is targeted specifically for theft. It isn't impulse.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The wildest parts are:

1) Fetterman thought an unarmed man dressed in a black suit wearing a black mask was running towards a school to shoot some kids, but decided to let out a few practice shots first.

2) The guy actually did end up going to prison for kidnapping and assault and has become a Fetterman supporter.

that's not wild, that's Pennsylvania

Fritz the Horse posted:

You have to remove the character limit client-side. To do this, edit the thread, (in Chrome) right-click Inspect on the thread title field to open the DOM Inspector. Change maxlength=85 to maxlength=100

i mentioned a proposed title was too long once because i was lazy and didn't feel like changing that and like 30 seconds later got a pm from someone explaining that workaround

jokes on them, that sounds like effort and i'm not about that

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 29, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

you'll notice data ends there at 2019 and only includes beginning of 2020, which yes would be very low because almost no one was going out in the first half of 2020

obviously shoplifting is overstated by police for a bunch of self-serving reasons and i agree that there's been a coordinated media effort to push that narrative by pro-police interests, but the conditions that lead to poo poo getting stolen substantially increased in the last two years so it's really not surprising that the frequency of it has gone up short term. Similar to how homelessness stopped it's long-term decline to start increasing again in the last two years.

anyways, shoplifting, like homelessness, is not something that is even remotely solved by police, nor that police even can effectively do almost anything at all about

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

Which would those be?

Things I can say for sure:

1) I don't live in CA

2) I'm dumb as poo poo regardless

3) I'm drawing conclusions based on available data. The reporting I'm seeing largely comes from LA and San Francisco, so I'm assuming the change in behavior is related to some change in policy or leadership. (Like didn't some DA say that he's not going to prosecute thefts under $900?)

And again: I'm a big loving idiot so feel free to tell my I'm wrong here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Trollologist posted:

Things I can say for sure:

1) I don't live in CA

2) I'm dumb as poo poo regardless

3) I'm drawing conclusions based on available data. The reporting I'm seeing largely comes from LA and San Francisco, so I'm assuming the change in behavior is related to some change in policy or leadership. (Like didn't some DA say that he's not going to prosecute thefts under $900?)

And again: I'm a big loving idiot so feel free to tell my I'm wrong here.

There was a ballot measure a few years ago that decriminalized thefts under $1k and the police have largely not put a lot of effort into stopping misdemeanors when they are happening during Covid.

It isn't a statewide California issue, though. It seems to be mostly San Francisco specifically. There isn't really the same surge in LA, Sacramento, Fresno, San Diego, etc. Not really clear why.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1487055121137774597?t=w52A3SV9YO5BDqhX0bb7vw&s=19

Conspiracy theorists are going to love this one. As someone who lives in Pittsburgh and knows that I can't spit without hitting a bridge this is uhhh unsettling.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Would this technically be irony?

I used to live in Pittsburgh, and frequently drove across/was stuck in traffic on this bridge. There used to be a little sign with a message written on the railing that said something like, “don’t jump its ok”.

Then the whole bridge jumped.

THAT'S irony.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

I used to live in Pittsburgh, and frequently drove across/was stuck in traffic on this bridge. There used to be a little sign with a message written on the railing that said something like, “don’t jump its ok”.

Then the whole bridge jumped.

THAT'S irony.
No no. It'd be irony if a person saw the sign decided not to jump which caused the bridge to jump.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bridge was irony, but now it's rusty.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Imagine, other than literally working in loss prevention, giving a single gently caress about shoplifting at any level of the system. These are chain stores that are leeches on their communities' economies to begin with. Last week I watched an old lady wheel an entire cart of goods past the registers at CVS and on out of the store like it was nothing. Their merchandise is insured. These millionaires could stand to lose a few bucks at the hands of the people they've been robbing for decades.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

Imagine, other than literally working in loss prevention, giving a single gently caress about shoplifting at any level of the system. These are chain stores that are leeches on their communities' economies to begin with. Last week I watched an old lady wheel an entire cart of goods past the registers at CVS and on out of the store like it was nothing. Their merchandise is insured. These millionaires could stand to lose a few bucks at the hands of the people they've been robbing for decades.

It's the same people who were enraged at "BLM" lighting a fire in the Target parking lot in their whitebread, suburban hellscape.

A decade earlier, they were convinced the Taliban were going to put anthrax in their town's (population 34,533) Chicken Crispers® supply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

Right. People on an individual level do not need to give a poo poo about shoplifting as it affects retail businesses. Like I said earlier if you actually work for a store you need to worry about your corporate masters shutting down your location if you prove unprofitable but the bigger issue is the social ill that causes people to shoplift in the first place. Shoplifting does cause harm though, don't ever forget that. "Those millionaires won't be affected" is absolutely correct but as always those millionaires will find some way to make others pay for it.

Recognizing that there is a human cost on both sides of the shoplifting equation is only important insofar as it is a social ill requiring a social solution. Law only protects millionaires, and so is never the answer.