Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Khizan posted:

I used an anagram finder to test this. It came back with "drongo" as the only 6 letter word that can be formed from "gordon" and 4 possible alternatives for "goner", those being 'ergon', 'grone', 'genro', and 'negro'.

This feels pretty damning to me.

Drongo Ergon sounds like a comfy faux-leather chair, though; I’m sure they just didn’t explain it right…:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bored ape yacht club anagrams to
A Percolated Chubby

And i dont know what that means but it sounds bad.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ymgve posted:

I'm pretty sure counting teeth is right there in the "coincidence" column, like is 18 even a nazi number?

Yeah it's literally one of the most famous Nazi numbers, dingus (AH, Adolf Hitler, used by Neo Nazi groups like Combat 18)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ymgve posted:

I'm pretty sure counting teeth is right there in the "coincidence" column, like is 18 even a nazi number?

really weird that it's been six years and some people still don't have some of the basic decoding down

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't know how someone can see the picture and not immediately clock it, details like numerology aside

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Other notable Nazi numbers: 14, 88

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Other notable Nazi numbers: 14, 88

6,000,000 is also notable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

don't forget 45 :smugdon:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ymgve posted:

It's the same number of teeth that're in the Totenkopf emblem, which otherwise shares a very similar layout.

The overlay seems totally unnecessary; the resemblance is already clear. Having the exact same number of teeth would have a much stronger claim to just being a coincidence if not for, well, the rest. The fact that 18 can have additional significance is just the icing on the cake.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 29, 2022

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDr2L5RLag

Newest Rug Pull NTF Scam.....MINECRAFT!

$900k stolen, 10000 NTFs bought out in 8 minutes, the scammers insta deleted everything once the last NTF sold.

quoting this so it isn't lost

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Potato Salad posted:

don't forget 45 :smugdon:

1945? The year the guy who killed Hitler died?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I mean isn't the venn diagram of nazis, libertarians, and crypto bros nearly a perfect circle in the first place? I'd believe it if you just told me 'hey the monkey NFT guys are nazis' with no actual evidence, anecdotal or otherwise.

You'd be missing some directionality.

Sometimes it goes libertarian->crypto->Nazi and sometimes it's more crypto->libertarian->Nazi. All taking place in a bigger circle of internalized neoliberal capitalism. But the pathway almost inevitably leads to Nazis.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Strong Sauce posted:

website offers evidence of ties to nazi imagery, numerology, and literature
goons: all just merely coincidences

To be fair people are probably just seeing the badge bit and dismissing it, people all the time try and make claims over imagery in particular. Nazis were loving dorks for badges and symbols and had so many it's fairly easy to design something then realise its similar to something they used, often because a lot of the stuff they used was stolen from existing imagery, the swastika being the most famous.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It is totally based on the nazi logo, that can be seen with just a glance. But once you start going «count the TEETH» you are starting to look like a conspiracy nut, no matter if they actually are nazis

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ymgve posted:

It is totally based on the nazi logo, that can be seen with just a glance. But once you start going «count the TEETH» you are starting to look like a conspiracy nut, no matter if they actually are nazis

Nazis being able to say “look at how unreasonable this person is being” is kinda part of the point

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
You can tell it’s nazis because who the gently caress else would use top and bottom rockers on a left facing skull?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

edit: just to interrupt all this nazi talk.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Interesting interview with Yanis Varoufakis, former economist employed by Valve. He moved on to become the finance minister of Greece and is now a MP there.

I don't 100% agree with everything he's saying, but he brings up a lot of valid and interesting points about crypto and NFTs - and specifically mentions that in a way, TF2 hats were a precursor for NFTs.

Cross-posting this from the games dysfunction thread, since it is a stimulating read. Similar disclaimers, Yanis looks like a bond villain from the Roger Moore era and he's seen and done some poo poo with his degree. I don't agree with everything he says either and that is ok.. well, unless your brain is twitter-poisoned.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yanis looks like a halflife villain lmao

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Personally I'll look at the Bored Ape that's a caricature of a Japanese person and say yes that seems racist. and I'll look at that logo and say yeah it kind of looks like the deaths head logo and that makes it seem sketchy. all this stuff about counting teeth is QAnon for the left

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
then again libertarians

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Color palette, graphic/text placement, rough edge circle, choice of skull motif. It's not a stretch to apply known numerical symbolism.

This if it can't be distilled into a minute long infographic or it's apporaching conspiratorial levels of red threading a tac board.

It's a hosed world of 14 hour dissertations of Mario's mustache influence in pasta sales during the 80s-90s and memes with Kermit asking "how fun is waiting for socialized medicine in those countries? probably lovely."

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hammerite posted:

Personally I'll look at the Bored Ape that's a caricature of a Japanese person and say yes that seems racist. and I'll look at that logo and say yeah it kind of looks like the deaths head logo and that makes it seem sketchy. all this stuff about counting teeth is QAnon for the left

Then you, personally, know jack poo poo about modern right-extremist movements. They do all this nudge-nudge, wink-wink stuff on purpose, constantly. The reason QAnon spread so well among the far right is they believe everyone else does it, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hello Sailor posted:

Then you, personally, know jack poo poo about modern right-extremist movements. They do all this nudge-nudge, wink-wink stuff on purpose, constantly. The reason QAnon spread so well among the far right is they believe everyone else does it, too.

yeah. like, i agree that going "count the teeth" makes one sound crazy in a vacuum, but nazi-adjacent dildos have a very extreme history of caring about exactly that sort of thing so it's not actually weird at all.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Either the ape people used exactly 18 teeth by sheer coincidence when sketching out their SS death's head clone, or they went out of their way to recreate that one aspect of the original skull exactly without knowing what it means (lol ok), or they knew what they were doing because Nazis love that poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nazi loving Teeth

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

really weird that it's been six years and some people still don't have some of the basic decoding down

"Potato Salad is a dish popular in the southern regions of the United States. It has been observed being served at gatherings of klan members. Forum user Potato Salad refuses to address these ties to white supremacy."

A lot of what is at that link is on this level. Racism permeates society and culture, so it's really easy to draw these lines to thongs that don't have that intent behind them using the exact same kind of thinking that leads people to believe that a picture of a monkey with randomized accessories will be worth money someday. It's important to check those thought processes even when the conclusion is correct so that the next time you're lead down the garden path you don't wind up someplace like "COVID is a Democrat hoax to take away our freedoms."

So while their little club is pretty drat likely to be founded and run by neonazis, don't just take a bunch of out of context stuff that has simpler explanations as absolute truth.

Also, the teeth number is probable because they were copying, rather than a conscious choice. Still damning, though.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 29, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Didn't Yanis work at valve on the tf2 hat economy?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Splorange posted:

edit: just to interrupt all this nazi talk.

Cross-posting this from the games dysfunction thread, since it is a stimulating read. Similar disclaimers, Yanis looks like a bond villain from the Roger Moore era and he's seen and done some poo poo with his degree. I don't agree with everything he says either and that is ok.. well, unless your brain is twitter-poisoned.

Don't sleep on this article, some genuinely interesting stuff.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hello Sailor posted:

Then you, personally, know jack poo poo about modern right-extremist movements.

This reads like it's meant to insult me, but I don't particularly think it does.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Hammerite posted:

This reads like it's meant to insult me, but I don't particularly think it does.

It’s not an insult I don’t think, but you genuinely don’t know what you’re talking about on this subject. It’s honestly surprising that someone who nominally takes an interest in fringe politics wouldn’t know about the number 18, but once knowing that it is a Nazi number, to say it’s probably a coincidence when everything else strongly resembles Nazi iconography is downright delusional.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
honestly the logos are so similar i dunno how this is even a convo

like, they're definitely nazis. its basically the exact same logo lmao. its way beyond coincidence...

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

No, it's an expression of the frustration of people who do understand this stuff.

The symbols, numbers and code phrases they use are intentionally ridiculous, and explaining them to people who aren't paying attention is frustrating because they refuse to believe anyone could be that dumb.

And every single time you have to explain why the guy talking about 14 words flashing an okay sign wearing a frog shirt with 88 on its jersey is a nazi, some clueless person wanders in and gives a condescending speech about not falling victim to conspiratorial thinking.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 29, 2022

deano
Sep 6, 2000

One of my mates went deep down the rabbit hole with the gme stuff and was already into bitcoin as hes a reddit reading next big thing sorta guy so constant hey you shoukd get on this txts, last few months silent on the coins crap, but all about the gym, and omg protien and carbs man make me poo poo, tbh crypto txts where worse than litteral postfs about poo poo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

No, it's an expression of the frustration of people who do understand this stuff.

The symbols, numbers and code phrases they use are intentionally ridiculous, and explaining them to people who aren't paying attention is frustrating because they refuse to believe anyone could be that dumb.

And every single time you have to explain why the guy talking about 14 words flashing an okay sign wearing a frog shirt with 88 on its jersey is a nazi, some clueless person wanders in and gives a condescending speech about not falling victim to conspiratorial thinking.

This is also why the KKK went with various things like their hoods and titles and such Klaverns, Grand Wizards, etc. All of it served to cause others to dismiss them as just being weird or strange instead of being massive racists. Some of it also helped to shield them from public identity.

A lot of white supremacy stuff is driven by/utilizes mythos and Things That Can't Be A Coincidence to further justify their bigotry. That it also serves to make people who aren't familiar with it to dismiss it as being silly is just bonus.

Hell look at the 'OK sign' prank. And this is also why the Tiki Torch Brigade at Charlottesville was dressed the way they were. The old Neo-Nazi Skinhead thing became too well known, but a bunch of people wearing white shirts and khaki shorts and 'regular' haircuts? Nothing wrong with that. Sure they might be chanting Jews Will Not Replace Us and Blood And Soil, but they don't look like Neo-Nazis.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 29, 2022

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Crypto and crossfit is definitely a venn-diagram without corners.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
This could go on all day but I'll settle for saying again that I don't see why - given that we're all in agreement that the logo resembles the death's head logo - anyone (nazi or otherwise) would care about the number of teeth it happens to have. It would be a nazi logo with 18 teeth, with 16 teeth, with any other number of teeth.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hammerite posted:

Apologies. It's what previous posters have said and sort of like when you run into someone who has never heard of goatse. Kind of a simultaneous envy of your ignorance and grumpiness both about shattering it and having to shatter it.

E: or not, since you appear to be doubling down on "I find it difficult to believe that this Nazi symbol contains known Nazi symbolism."

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

"It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong" is a phrase that covers a lot of ground in this particular Venn diagram.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 29, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hammerite posted:

This could go on all day but I'll settle for saying again that I don't see why - given that we're all in agreement that the logo resembles the death's head logo - anyone (nazi or otherwise) would care about the number of teeth it happens to have. It would be a nazi logo with 18 teeth, with 16 teeth, with any other number of teeth.

Because 18 means something to them. They could have made it with a whole bunch of non-Nazi stuff but then that would mean it wouldn't be a Nazi thing.

Cryptoshit already involves a lot of People Who Think They're Smarter Than Everyone Else, so why stop there?

Coincidentally this is also why vast conspiracies dont work, you get too many people involved and dumb poo poo like this rises to the surface.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 29, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

There's a real danger that you start seeing symbols everywhere once you start actively looking for them. Yeah, some of them may be the symbols you're looking for, but you're also going to start going, "Aha!" at coincidences. This kind of chaining of inferences to reach a conclusion that you're motivated to reach is harmful even when the conclusions is something real.

A good counter example of this is the recent use of the okay hand sign because it's not just people shouting, "Look! A nazi hand sign! Nazis everywhere!" There's documentation of people wanting to adopt it, of it getting pushed in those circles, of people using it in ways that it's intended as that signal. There's context beyond just a photo of a shithead making an okay sign.

A significant portion of the "evidence" given here doesn't have that context. They're images or references that could be pulled from multiple places. 18 teeth is absurd as a pointer because you're going to get an even number of teeth between 16 and 20 if you draw a skull in profile. You have to start chaining things with other information that doesn't have a lot of weight behind it. Yeah, hate groups love their symbols, but just because hate groups have tens of thousands of potential symbols doesn't mean that everything is one of them. Context matters.

Here the context is that it looks like the person who made the logo was copying the badge. One step. The end. We've got other significant pointers and plenty of reason to be suspicious, we don't need to keep digging up more potential links because that is how you go down the rabbit hole of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Article is paywalled, but a good reminder of the difficulty in converting large quantities of $FUN_BUX into IRL cash: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/gold/made-4m-profit-crypto-bank-wont-let-spend/

Way more crypto is sloshing around digitally than can readily be converted to lambos/magic cards/etc., and it finds itself doing things luck pumping dumbass monkey pictures instead.