Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1486709480351952901

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

a fractional atomic number would mean like half a proton or something

this breaks the universe

no, it's trivial. each half-proton simply has 1.5 quarks.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The Bloop posted:

no that's just unusual numbers of neutrons

a fractional atomic number would mean like half a proton or something

this breaks the universe

One strange quark physicists don't want you to know about!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A half proton is a schrodinger's cat type device that has a proton and an antiproton inside.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I didn't notice the issue at first, had to click through to the tweet comments to find it.

The Y-axis has 5.5 where 6 should be, in order to make it look more impressive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also since the growth is given as a percentage, a huge increase that follows a huge decrease the year before is not really as whelming as it seems

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

trapped mouse posted:

I didn't notice the issue at first, had to click through to the tweet comments to find it.

Hah, didn't notice that. I thought the joke was simply that the economy rebounding after a sudden downturn has absolutely nothing the gently caress to do with who is president, and also that the rebound comes at the cost of thousands of lives of antivaxxers and covid deniers and therefore it's a bit crass to celebrate it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

trapped mouse posted:

well that's the exact issue yes but there's the more immediate issue that there's still a pandemic and lots of people just got poorer while some people didn't get effected at all and then a small group that got massively richer. Number go up means very little to the everyman. It's not connected to them. It's not for them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Wouldn't 6% inflation functionally wipe out that GDP growth anyways? I'm assuming they don't factor that in to these calculations.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Voyager I posted:

Wouldn't 6% inflation functionally wipe out that GDP growth anyways? I'm assuming they don't factor that in to these calculations.

Real GDP (i.e. adjusted for inflation) did indeed grow roughly 5.7% in 2021 as compared to 2020. GDP is almost always quoted in "real" (deflated) terms. Nominal GDP (i.e. not adjusted for inflation) grew 10%.

It looks like a lot of "growth" (whatever that's supposed to mean to normal people), but current real GDP is still below its pre-COVID path, so it's not so much "booming" as "still catching up". You can see the data most easily from FRED, here. Look at the general trend leading up to 2020 versus where we're at now.

ShimaTetsuo has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Jan 28, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also I'm willing to bet that the growth is unevenly distributed, and a lot of it is stock prices of billionaires or something like that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DontMockMySmock posted:

Hah, didn't notice that. I thought the joke was simply that the economy rebounding after a sudden downturn has absolutely nothing the gently caress to do with who is president, and also that the rebound comes at the cost of thousands of lives of antivaxxers and covid deniers and therefore it's a bit crass to celebrate it.

Oh no, don't be crass about a bunch of idiots who contributed to the loss of thousands of innocent lives before stupiding themselves to death.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/hillelogram/status/1487103528044793865

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Put it on a log scale

Edit: log-log if you really wanna flex :newlol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't show that graph to Jordan Peterson.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Making my Y Axis

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Put the x axis on log scale for extra credit

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BonHair posted:

Also I'm willing to bet that the growth is unevenly distributed, and a lot of it is stock prices of billionaires or something like that.

In specifics, I think you got it wrong - stock prices should not be included in GDP calculations. It's a measure of production and trade of actual goods and services, mostly. But in general terms, of course you're right. The GDP growth is every middle-class working-from-home American buying another xbox (or, if the already had two, a PS5, or an Oculus, or...). And it all comes delivered by guess which corporation... - guess who got the most richer?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/Geographhy/status/1486771341764169728

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Ah yes, fish have intimate knowledge of the Saharan and Arabian deserts, along with the Australian Outback, but no knowledge whatsoever of the American Great Lakes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fish can't read maps!

At least, as far as we know. My grant proposal is still pending.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Fish can't read maps!

At least, as far as we know. My grant proposal is still pending.

I feel like you should team up with the lady who does research on giving MDMA to octopuses.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Just because fish can't read maps doesn't mean they can't write maps :smug:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Effects of Maps and MDMA on Aquatic Lifeforms is going to feed me and my children for at least 15 years

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

trapped mouse posted:

Ah yes, fish have intimate knowledge of the Saharan and Arabian deserts, along with the Australian Outback, but no knowledge whatsoever of the American Great Lakes.

well yeah people stopped telling stuff to fish once we figured out fish are tasty and nutritious and that was quite a long time ago

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Karia posted:

Just because fish can't read maps doesn't mean they can't write maps :smug:

Cartografish

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GWBBQ posted:

I feel like you should team up with the lady who does research on giving MDMA to octopuses.

Going to need a link for this. I want to know the outcomes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

They started dancing around in the water and hugging each other :3:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rolling-under-the-sea-scientists-gave-octopuses-ecstasy-to-study-social-behavior/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Valuable information for our rapidly approaching War on Octopodes

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Brawnfire posted:

Cartografish

Carpography

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I figure if our, uh, circuitry is similar enough to react the same way, that means basically every complex animal on earth experiences MDMA the same way, right? To get a common ancestor between humans and octopuses surely you have to go back like "how do I feet" far.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blue Footed Booby posted:

To get a common ancestor between humans and octopuses surely you have to go back like "how do I feet" far.

That's a great way to phrase it.
The great divergence of "bones: y/n"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bones or grabbers, optimize one

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Paper Tiger posted:

Carpography

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Paging CodfishCartographer to this thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a great way to phrase it.
The great divergence of "bones: y/n"

That feet quote was a friend's response to this picture of a tiktaalik, an important species from like 300 Nikon years ago during the beginning of life on land:

Edit: Google tells me octopus first appeared...about 300 million years ago. I got way closer than I expected.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: Google tells me octopus first appeared...about 300 million years ago. I got way closer than I expected.

Yeah, but molluscs and vertebrates are so far apart that the last common ancestor was something a little like a flatworm more than half a billion years ago.

Like, we don't even do embryonic cell division the same way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
On that long a time frame it seems rather hard to seperate whether this is genetic lineage or convergent evolution tbh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Despite having diverged hundreds of millions of years ago octopodes and humans share huge amounts of genetic material. There's something like 69.3% genetic similarity between octopus and human eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Despite having diverged hundreds of millions of years ago octopodes and humans share huge amounts of genetic material. There's something like 69.3% genetic similarity between octopus and human eyes.

idk making cells that can discern light seems to me like the main innovation there, all the rest is just refinement