Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, Gillen's writing Eternals as well.

i wish that made it enticing but tbh i dropped it after 6 or 7 issues cuz i found it extremely boring. now we're doing x-men vs inhu--i mean avx--i mean avxvi again

e: i imagine it'll still be better than reckoning war tho

site fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'll give it a shot, sense Gillen is writing, but the similarities to IvX are not going to do them any favors.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man wiping out the mutants has become Marvels safety blanket

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I downloaded comixology and it isn’t letting me read Black Cat and MJ. It just lets me add it to wish list. Is it not out yet online or something?

Edit: nevermind I just downloaded a different app and bought it. All good.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

I downloaded comixology and it isn’t letting me read Black Cat and MJ. It just lets me add it to wish list. Is it not out yet online or something?

Nope I purchased it online

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope I purchased it online

I just downloaded a Marvel reader. I’m solid now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it was retconned to a clone or body double or something. Part of it was probably because Hate Monger appeared in Fantastic Four before they brought back Captain America, so the golden age Timely comics books weren't thought of as being part of the Marvel comics canon yet, so Hitler hadn't been burned alive by John Hammond.
The original Hate-Monger in FF #21 was identified as "either the real Hitler who escaped death, or one of his body doubles" from the outset, and when a second Hate-Monger shows up (and is again unmasked as Hitler) a few years later in Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD, Nick's response is literally "Sonuvagun, you're the SECOND Adolf that's turned up in the past couple'a years!"

In the last bit of Super-Villain Team-Up by Peter Gillis (where he also decides to establish that all of the AIM/SHIELD agents responsible for the creation of the Cosmic Cube are members of Parliament Funkadelic) they establish that Arnim Zola convinced Hitler to set up a Hitler Clone Farm to allow him to repeatedly be brought back as Hate Monger, but Hitler wants his brain permanently inserted into a Cosmic Cube, which ends up happening except it was a decoy cube that instead serves as a prison, also the clone farm was destroyed.

Hitler is then a paperweight in the Red Skull's office for about fifteen years until Mark Waid picks this plot thread up in his Captain America run, which ends with the Hitler Cube getting destroyed. But the next writer (Dan Jurgens) decided that not *all* of the clones were destroyed, so Clone Hitler with Original Hitler Brain once again becomes Hate-Monger in his Cap run. By the end of the Jurgens run, Hitler turns into like a Hate Ghost Force, who is in return destroyed by the Captain America and Friends equivalent of the Care Bear Stare.

Even later it was revealed that Hitler's Ghost Force wasn't destroyed, just shot off into space. It hitched a ride on one of the Evil Hammers from Fear Itself, then jumped off and took over someone's body to be a new Hate Monger in Black Panther: The Man Without Fear. Hitler's Ghost Force jumps out of the host body just before he is defeated and arrested.

In the recent United States of Captain America mini-series, it's revealed that the Hitler Ghost Force had been captured and contained by NORAD(?) and Sin and company are trying to free it to have it take over a right wing newscaster. I *think* they once again expel it, but i forget if there was a "wink wink, Not Tucker Carlson is still possessed by Hitler's Ghost Force" ending.

So long story short, Hate Monger was always *a* Hitler, and is still a Hitler.

quote:

As a side thought, obviously Wolverine wasn't a character that existed when it still made sense for Reed Richards to have fought in WW2, but a team up story about them during WW2 might be fun.
They kind of did this, with a "Before the Fantastic Four" mini-series starring Logan and Ben Grimm fighting in Not-WWII but instead doing military stuff against the Commies in Europe. This itself was a follow-up to one of the "Negative One" issues where Military Pre-Thing Ben Grimm met Logan during generic-wartime.

Peter Parker's parents also met Wolverine in their no-longer-WWII-era spy careers, he really gets around.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

That pitch is giving me old Penny Arcade vibes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the Eternals were trying to be on good terms with the Deviants nowadays. Like the whole point of the Eternals recently has been a big "oopsies I guess our prime directives were kinda bad and we probably shouldn't do them"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Even if Gillen wasn't involved with that, there would be at least one other swerve at work here.

I like to imagine that someone told Thanos, current head of Eternal society, about the Five. His monocle popped off, he spat out his tea, and the next thing you know, Eternals are invading Krakoa.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Edit: nevermind I just downloaded a different app and bought it. All good.

If you're on iOS, you can't buy directly in the app. You have to buy in a browser. I guess the Marvel app lets you buy tho.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

I thought the Eternals were trying to be on good terms with the Deviants nowadays. Like the whole point of the Eternals recently has been a big "oopsies I guess our prime directives were kinda bad and we probably shouldn't do them"

Most of the main Eternals in Gillen's run are, but Druig and Thanos aren't.

The last issue of Eternals also hinted at some secret about the true purpose for which Celestials created Deviants, which I guess is part of the lead-in here

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

If you're on iOS, you can't buy directly in the app. You have to buy in a browser. I guess the Marvel app lets you buy tho.

Thanks, that probably explains it.

I liked the MJ-Black Cat book, more pls. Throw Spider-Gwen into it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Thanks, that probably explains it.

I liked the MJ-Black Cat book, more pls. Throw Spider-Gwen into it.

Please go read Jed McKay's Black Cat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man wiping out the mutants has become Marvels safety blanket

Look it's not enough to be hated and feared by humans or any one of their numerous other non-human enemies, mutants have to constantly be under attack from at least one heroic team, it's just the rules.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I would like an event where the X-Men just get to have a good time as a group of friends. Like an extended swimsuit special, but with a little less cheesecake and a little more beach volleyball.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I have said for years that I would like Marvel to do a big summer crossover event that's entirely based around Ben Grimm's floating poker game, and I stand by that.

No fights break out and nobody's even hurt, unless feelings count. Maybe somebody goes a little too far in and goes broke, then somebody else takes Tony or Emma Frost for a ride and ends up with a billion dollars to burn.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JordanKai posted:

I would like an event where the X-Men just get to have a good time as a group of friends. Like an extended swimsuit special, but with a little less cheesecake and a little more beach volleyball.

Wasn't that basically the Hellfire Gala?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The X-Men used to play baseball. Those issues were rad.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There's even precedent in the movies now. Everyone's favourite part of Age of Ultron was the party scene where everybody just hung out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I cannot wait for New Warriors vs X-Men

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bring back the great lakes avengers so they can get in on this

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
we need Brute Force vs X-Men

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Marvel is going to get the rights to Micronauts back just so they can produce Micronauts vs. X-Men.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Most of the main Eternals in Gillen's run are, but Druig and Thanos aren't.

The last issue of Eternals also hinted at some secret about the true purpose for which Celestials created Deviants, which I guess is part of the lead-in here

Yeah.

I imagine this is more Druig and Thanos leading their faction of the Eternals against the X-Men, while the Avengers are dealing with the Eternals led by Thena who hate them being in the Celestial. So we'll have a team up with the X-Men, Avengers, and the few good Eternals (Sersi, Ikaris, etc.) against all those other groups.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

howe_sam posted:

Wasn't that basically the Hellfire Gala?

Yeah. The X-Men have been doing fairly well lately as far as super heroes go.

Kieron Gillen being in charge of a Avengers/X-Men/Eternals event sounds pretty great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

Marvel is going to get the rights to Micronauts back just so they can produced Micronauts vs. X-Men.

they have the aliens license, should do a wildstorm and have aliens wipe out the x-men for the annual team reboot

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Aliens vs. X-Men is the one X-Men extinction event I'll accept (even if they've already done Brood stuff in the past). :hmmyes:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I respect the hell outta those aliens, but the only extinction I'd worry about is for them!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Aliens vs. X-Men is the one X-Men extinction event I'll accept (even if they've already done Brood stuff in the past). :hmmyes:

Yeah but I think the only place the Brood gets used as actual horror poo poo anymore is elseworlds.

I think the rebooted Marvels Zombies used them as a catalyst but at that point are they even brood

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JordanKai posted:

If they're dipping into their other licenses, surely Space Marines vs X-Men would be the matchup to watch. It would mainly come down to which group is better at dramatically standing on rubble

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to see Wolverine vs Predator.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's only one being in Marvel's back catalog that can stand toe to toe with the X-Men at this point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edge & Christian posted:

So long story short, Hate Monger was always *a* Hitler, and is still a Hitler.
I hear this new director of SHIELD, Adam Hilt, is going to take care of that. It's funny, he's all American, but he sounds like an Austrian guy! Sort of like Christoph Waltz, but angrier.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Does everyone want to read something to put dread in their hearts?

"This new threat is basically the Hulk's Knull..."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Codependent Poster posted:

Does everyone want to read something to put dread in their hearts?

"This new threat is basically the Hulk's Knull..."

Nulk?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

boy am I glad they decided to stop publishing hulk comics after immortal. weird, but I get it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be honest, it was the right move to do. Trying to immediately follow up a run like that was bound to fail. They'll probably release a new Hulk run in a few years and it will be fine.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just let MJ have some fun and be a criminal sometime.

MJ can commit some crimes, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All superheroes' romantic partners should be petty criminals.