Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sawblaze seems really cool, flame weapons have come a long way int he last 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, lady. You know you are at a combat robotics event right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: at Ghost Raptor resurrecting this opponent 3 times so they can lose to it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

That one's gonna be close, probably Glitch though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Glitch has some glitches and lol Ghost Raptor

Chuck is a cool dude tho

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Christ, Sawblaze is so surgical

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jamison Go is such a good driver

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sawbalze rules, that bot is legit

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JT Jag posted:

Christ, Sawblaze is so surgical

If "Chopping someone to pieces by swinging an axe up and down repeatedly like a cartoon barbarian" counts as surgical then yes :black101:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Have the mini bots some people use ever been even slightly decisive in a fight?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

If "Chopping someone to pieces by swinging an axe up and down repeatedly like a cartoon barbarian" counts as surgical then yes :black101:
Yeah, but with Jamison's driving he can basically pick and choose what specific parts of the bot he wants to chop off.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lucky noooooo

Should have left him stuck

I had to rewatch it and I feel like Tantrum's puncher probably would've jarred it loose. But in that case probably would've been best to position yourself right underneath for if/when Tantrum does fall, rather than forcing the issue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, but with Jamison's driving he can basically pick and choose what specific parts of the bot he wants to chop off.

When the hammer gets stuck, he just slammed them against the walls. It was so goddamn brutal.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Sammus posted:

i vaguely remember one getting underneath the opponent's bot and making it immobile, or something like that

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you want more of Jamison Go... NHRL put up a highlight video of their 2021 finals. He's ran 3 bots in it including a 30 pound Sawblaze... There's also a few other Battlebots faces in the fights and Team Kraken's captain on the judges panel. Also they deserve way move love on YouTube now that they are putting out pretty good results / compilation videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hZVGyfUQM

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:haw:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If you want more of Jamison Go... NHRL put up a highlight video of their 2021 finals. He's ran 3 bots in it including a 30 pound Sawblaze... There's also a few other Battlebots faces in the fights and Team Kraken's captain on the judges panel. Also they deserve way move love on YouTube now that they are putting out pretty good results / compilation videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hZVGyfUQM

Watched that last night before going to bed, was quite good, definitely worth a watch.

So Skorpios then. Were they dicks for continuing the fight and not letting Blade get counted out? I always thought it was an unwritten rule that if someone was disabled you backed off and let them get counted out, you didn't keep going back and doing more and more unnecessary damage. Its not like they're an inexperienced team and couldn't tell that Blade wasn't fully mobile.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Sammus posted:

Those tiny bots that you can buy online in a kit? Probably not.

Deathroll's minibot overseas however,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW-Uw2rJ5vE

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Scorpios definitely could have backed off. But I feel like they might have been at least a bit worried about the smoke that was coming out of their bot a few times during the match and wanted to keep going. The Battlebox really is the only place a lot of teams can actually test their bots...

It also wasn't a random unknown team to Team Skorpios. So it's quite likely that they even had some form of agreement to keep the fight going or possibly said to keep going during the fight.

They even did a short chat with the team where Zach marvels at how beautiful their bot is... :lol: (He did a few videos prior to the start of filming while teams were arriving and getting through safety stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYataaVuInU&t=313s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh well... and more fun from them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NptdMa1jw

And Part 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbvX_9ctYM

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JT Jag posted:

Oof, bad luck for Tombstone

Oh it goes to the judges, good for Tombstone

Tombstone hits so hard, it took out two bots in just one blow. Unfortunately one of those two bots was Tombstone itself. :v:

Hilariously, Mammoth's plan of letting Tombstone go hog wild until it hosed itself up almost worked perfectly apart from one little detail.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Watched that last night before going to bed, was quite good, definitely worth a watch.

So Skorpios then. Were they dicks for continuing the fight and not letting Blade get counted out? I always thought it was an unwritten rule that if someone was disabled you backed off and let them get counted out, you didn't keep going back and doing more and more unnecessary damage. Its not like they're an inexperienced team and couldn't tell that Blade wasn't fully mobile.

Watching the big Norwalk compilation, I was struck by how frequently a team would "tap out" of fight, sometimes at the first sign of trouble. It makes a lot of sense when there are a lot of teams without tons of extra parts to work with.

I think the unwritten rule in Battlebots actually goes the other direction. We've seen teams tap out once or twice, but for the most part everyone is there with lots of extra parts and time to do repairs. I think there's likely pressure to keep the fight going if your bot is at all functional because everyone wants to put on a good show at that point. They made it clear the Blade team is super experienced. I don't think Skorpios crossed the line.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

To quote one of the refs: "there's no tapping out in BattleBots".

You're either dead or you're fighting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

To quote one of the refs: "there's no tapping out in BattleBots".

You're either dead or you're fighting.

Yeah, Norwalk has a button for it, but the only way to tap out in Battlebots is to ask your opponents to let you get counted out.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
You can tell the ref you're done and stop moving, but your opponent still has 10 seconds to beat on you until the count finishes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a lot of lucky failures that'll swing a fight due to the massive stresses involved in the 250lb fights, too. And a "good" loss can be valuable since getting into the tournament at the end isn't strictly based on the raw win:loss rating.

Showing you can stick it out for three minutes is thus better.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Scorpios definitely could have backed off. But I feel like they might have been at least a bit worried about the smoke that was coming out of their bot a few times during the match and wanted to keep going. The Battlebox really is the only place a lot of teams can actually test their bots...

I noticed it seemed like the smoke only occurred after they made a hit, so I think what is happening is the weapon is coming to an immediate stop, so the belt slips and creates a friction burn which probably serves as sort of a clutch.

Edit: after re-watching it, I see its actually a chain, so I'm going to guess there is an actual clutch that is burning to keep the chain from destroying the weapon drive train. - Yep found a video where he shows it in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF8pYcN2ogs

PITT fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2022

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Malice was finally working and they had to go up against Jackpot looking stronger than ever. Just horrible, horrible luck. The Tombstone fight was the most Tombstone fight possible. Also Lucky finally got Lucky. Unfortunately their driver hosed it up. And Sawblaze looks fierce this year. Those new forks are way more effective than I thought they'd be.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

NightGyr posted:

You can tell the ref you're done and stop moving, but your opponent still has 10 seconds to beat on you until the count finishes.

I feel like teams used carve up corpses alot more in the Comedy Central days. Probably because it was a one and done tournament, so if you lost, at most, you were looking at fighting in a rumble

Also, they should totally bring back rumbles at the end of a season

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Some absolute clown rear end decision making this episode. Glad the two teams I dislike most (Mad Catter, Malice) got absolutely wrecked. Glitch looked cool, too bad it was completely immobile.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hyped for Glitch because I'm a sucker for omni wheels

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Hyped for Glitch because I'm a sucker for omni wheels

It was real cool until it failed like 60 seconds in.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Glitch was 100% the lesson in weaknesses of omni wheels. Shatter can get away with it because it doesn't need to push up against other bots just keep its distance.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NightGyr posted:

Glitch was 100% the lesson in weaknesses of omni wheels. Shatter can get away with it because it doesn't need to push up against other bots just keep its distance.

Shatter probably has a better distribution on its omni wheels as well. The delta design of Glitch almost certainly did them no favors in terms of mobility.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I finally got a chance to catch up on the latest ep.

Was Tombstone v Mammoth the first double KO in Battlebots? Has this ever happened before in any other league? It seems like it would have by now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Was Tombstone v Mammoth the first double KO in Battlebots? Has this ever happened before in any other league? It seems like it would have by now.

Do bonus fights count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uc3-13uJk

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Didn't deep six double KO against (with?) nelly the ellybot?

Edit yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LF9ajD9XcU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Andrea from Witch Doctor put up a Q&A video that I guess she is doing with Patreons / FB supporters... Quite a bit of behind the scenes & production stuff thrown in, along with some chat with the fight with Duck. Including bots having to go into a special tent after the fights to make sure the batteries don't catch fire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbZKTknF7oU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
How blip's flipper works is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZufNCXaeE

They push a spinning flywheel into a clutch using a pair of what looks like hand-made solenoids, which begins twisting a synthetic fiber cord. The cord acts as a continuously variable transmission, so it starts out with very little force but ramps up as it continues to twist and shorten in length, which probably goes a long way toward not destroying itself. The cord pulls a sliding assembly inward, and that interfaces with the flipping arm with gear teeth. Springs pull everything back into firing position after the flywheel has lost its momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

Probably the most famous one from way back when on comedy central:

https://youtu.be/cC_8X1f9Vwk