Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Mark Russel is the writer for One-Star Squadron so if you've read the recent Snagglepuss, The Flintstones, or Wonder Twins book, then you'll have an idea of what they're doing as they tread the line between comedy and drama and the handling of real issues. That Power Girl is in the role she is in is probably intentional.

Yeah, one of the villains in Wonder Twins is a take on Permit Patty - a woman who has a cellphone that allows her to trap people in the Negative Zone, but for some reason she only uses it on innocent black bystanders because they're scary to her. I haven't read One-star Squadron, but the Karen thing is almost certainly intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When exactly does this I Am Batman series take place? The previous Second Son series references the Joker War and the aftermath but they keep saying Batman is dead?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

When exactly does this I Am Batman series take place? The previous Second Son series references the Joker War and the aftermath but they keep saying Batman is dead?
The first arc of Batman is running generally parallel to Fear State I believe (at least it was advertised/branded as such) and in that storyline Batman/Bruce Wayne was captured by the Scarecrow and the bad guys were pumping out weird misinformation out of a giant flying saucer to make everyone afraid and susceptible to THE MAGISTRATE taking over Gotham. Part of that misinformation was that Batman was dead, so most of the characters in the book are operating under that assumption in the first arc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

So like...the perp in the Human Target has to be Ice, right? I mean I'm not too clear on the details here...but it kinda has to be, or else why are we seeing so much of her?

Yes, King is beating the reader over the head with it. So it's either her, or he's setting up some "what a twist!" thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, King is beating the reader over the head with it. So it's either her, or he's setting up some "what a twist!" thing

I'm not reading Human Target, but if I was gonna guess I'd say it'd the later. Tom King is a "what a twist" kinda guy and Human Target is a "what a twist" general concept type of a book.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the other hand, can Tom King resist the deliciously Tom-King-esque impulse to take a generally sweet and innocent character and turn her into a cold-blooded killer instead? :sweatdrop:

Tom King cliche vs Tom King cliche: FIGHT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

The first arc of Batman is running generally parallel to Fear State I believe (at least it was advertised/branded as such) and in that storyline Batman/Bruce Wayne was captured by the Scarecrow and the bad guys were pumping out weird misinformation out of a giant flying saucer to make everyone afraid and susceptible to THE MAGISTRATE taking over Gotham. Part of that misinformation was that Batman was dead, so most of the characters in the book are operating under that assumption in the first arc.

Ahhhh. I haven't caught up on Fear State yet. Thank you.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The latest issue of Justice League Incarnate... oh boy

the villain behind it all hasn't even been given any real characterization to speak of, it's just an ill-defined evil entity that we're supposed to care about because Williamson is retconning it into previous DC events and because Alan Moore created it in his Swamp Thing run

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
For any Wally West Flash fans, we've got some sad news. Brian Augustyn, editor and sometimes cowriter for about 10 years on The Flash, has passed away today suddenly from a stroke:

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/1488648394851639300

By all accounts he was nearly as instrumental in the creative process as Waid on the seminal Flash run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh man. That's awful. I'd met him once and he was so nice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh man I remember Augustyn from the Impact comics. I think him and Waid were good mates who co-wrote a few titles together. That sucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They were usually signing stuff in the DC booth at Chicago.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm really enjoying how comic-book-y Justice League Incarnate is. From the superhero idealism, to the way the dialogue is written ("I, Vincent, shall say the name of the person I'm talking to, while stating my intent!") and the multiverse tour. It wouldn't work on another type of book, but in a multiverse romp type story, it really works. Plus, the joke from the last couple of issues, of a DC comics editor being the ultimate evil Darkseid is very funny.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The_Other posted:

Finally is anyone else reading One-Star Squadron? I've got kinda mixed feelings about the series. It feels like it's trying to do what Formerly Known as the Justice League did, but with a focus on the current gig economy and an a more dramatic tone. It's the mix of drama and comedy that doesn't really work, but kinda does (it's hard to explain). I also don't like how they have Power Girl working in what is supposed to be a group of C and D list heroes (I also don't like that they have Plastic Man there too). They also have her set up to be the antagonist of the series, which I'm not a fan of. I still remember her run back 10 years ago with Amanda Conner and it being a lot of fun.

Of course the problem with Power Girl in the modern climate is that not only is she named Karen, she has the stereotypical haircut of one too.

She looks like she'll be asking for a manager.

If you wanna read something like One Star Squadron (low-level heroes doing low-level heroing and being regular joes) I'd recomend "Hero Hotline" it was a DC series from '89t hat lasted 6 issues and I remember it being a fun read. It should be on DC Universe.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/status/1491109161475600384

hi whoever colored Kyle Rayner darker than Connor Hawke turn on ur location jsut wanna talk :xd:

(cool spread tho)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Calling it now, we're doing 5G but for real this time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've moved past that.

6G.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

0(Hour)G

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
We're finally back to everything is real, everything happened, everyone exists and the frontiers are endless! Until the Anti-Bathattan Who Laughs Through Time fulfills his destiny as the middle finger of the Greatest Darkness and slaughters everyone in that spread, but the real question you need to ask is... whose hand is shoved up the butt of the Greatest Darkness? Who's pulling the ultimate evil Dark Omniverse Anti-Strings? STAY TUNED

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

We're finally back to everything is real, everything happened, everyone exists and the frontiers are endless! Until the Anti-Bathattan Who Laughs Through Time fulfills his destiny as the middle finger of the Greatest Darkness and slaughters everyone in that spread, but the real question you need to ask is... whose hand is shoved up the butt of the Greatest Darkness? Who's pulling the ultimate evil Dark Omniverse Anti-Strings? STAY TUNED

Yeah it sucks they fixed everything and everyone seemed happy with the status quo so it has to be blown up again.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

hi whoever colored Kyle Rayner darker than Connor Hawke turn on ur location jsut wanna talk :xd:
(cool spread tho)

They probably forgot that Kyle is latino AND white :v:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whoever predicted that we were getting another Crisis, this is your fault.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-announces-dark-crisis-dcu-event/

quote:

The plot synopsis for Dark Crisis reads: "In the original Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez, the homeworld of Pariah, along with the infinite Multiverse, was obliterated. Now this mad sole survivor has found a way to bring his homeworld and the entire infinite Multiverse back from the dead: Earth-0 must die. An ancient destructive force called the Great Darkness, first appearing in Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and Stan Woch, is the weapon Pariah will wield as he paves a path to rebirth and vengeance. In DC's next big event, Dark Crisis, the heroes left behind must come together to combat this great evil and save the lost Justice League, but what happens when not everyone agrees to join the fight?"

Speaking about the series, Williamson said, "Dark Crisis is an epic DCU event about legacy. It will have all the giant, fun cosmic battles and Multiversal set pieces, but it's not about reboots, retcons, or rewriting time and space. At its core it's about the characters and the relationships that we've seen built over DC's great history. Dark Crisis spins out of Justice League #75 'Death of the Justice League' and connects all the story threads across the DCU since Infinite Frontier #0 in a major way. Unifying the new legacy of the DCU as we honor the classic. You can't miss it!"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

We will DEFINITELY probably not going to reboot anything****

It's gonna be another reset

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guessing we get another Crisis is like guessing the sun will rise

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They are redoing infinite crisis

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Crisis of Infinite Crisis

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How many Crises ago was Final Crisis now?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

2 I think? There was dark metal and then future state?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was Rebirth a Crisis? Does Flashpoint count as a Crisis?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think at this point they have to do a crisis, it’s a DC mainstay

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Was Rebirth a Crisis? Does Flashpoint count as a Crisis?

Absolutely.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I hope Captain Carrot and President Superman and Sunshine Superman are the only Supermans to survive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So that's at least 4 crisises since final crisis.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Detective Comics 3.0+1+9+3+9: You Can (Not) Subscribe

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Detective Crisis

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Finally, maybe this will be the Crisis that leads to a new Atom or Slam Bradley ongoing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Saw some muttering on Twitter that "DC had better not rehire EVS," there's no risk of that happening, right? Because I feel like DC has been getting some mojo back the past few years, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop them like a frozen potato...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I imagine EVS has burned all his bridges, shat on the ashes scooped up the poo poo covered ashes and flung it at anyone that would even use the words "EVS" and "job" in the same sentence and posted a youtube video showing himself doing all of this while complaining that the lamestream comic book publishers won't hire him.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
They’re bringing back pre-crisis EVS before his turn into a right wing chud. Sadly DC always reverts back, so he’ll be at chud status in a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

They’re bringing back pre-crisis EVS before his turn into a right wing chud. Sadly DC always reverts back, so he’ll be at chud status in a year or so.

He was always right wing just not as outspoken.