Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's perfectly fine, if you ask me. I may want something else, but it's your tax payments and your votes in elections.

This is like the actual worst timeline take. :staredog: Straight up деревня дураков material.

lol. from the article: '(Seriously, we checked with native Ukrainian speakers!)'

what tripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Eastern Europe: We must respect the right to a schnitzel of influence

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Xarn posted:

I don't see smaller states suddenly finding enough extra people to reach that magical 100M milestone, which leaves them with the nuclear option: let's just every get more nukes.

you're right. Countries of 6 million with a GDP of Idaho are never going to be great powers. To remain even viable they'd have to attach themselves to a local hegemon who can keep their independence with an arsenals of 6k nuclear warheads, genetic and chemical weapons, and the ability to deploy millions of soldiers.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Fuligin posted:

lol. from the article: '(Seriously, we checked with native Ukrainian speakers!)'

what tripe

We Even asked someone who knew the language!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sinteres posted:

So the translation thing is dumb, but I think the underlying point is probably right, where Zelensky thinks the US is presenting an air of inevitability with some of the statements and the embassy withdrawal and everything, which could lead to Russia feeling like the cake's pretty much been baked and they may as well hop on over. That's obviously a simplification, and I don't think the US has quite that level of power with its tone alone, but I do think the US is extremely bad about using overheated language and is pretty lousy at public diplomacy in general, partially because blinkered Manichean thinking really is a problem here, and partially because everything's so dumbed down for domestic consumption. I have a lot more hope for the four party talks with Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany than anything involving the US.

When there is a 150,000 soldier army right on your border that has been methodically building up and transferring assets from Siberia and dispatching naval fleets to the Black Sea, your allies are telling you, using the satellite surveillance and sigint that you don't have, that they're about to invade maybe having skepticism about whether or not that army will invade is not conducive to the continued existence of your government given that the same army on your border has been fighting you for 8 years already and has already annexed a chunk of your land.

Feels like Zelenskiy is doing a great impression of an ostrich right now to be honest

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

you're right. Countries of 6 million with a GDP of Idaho are never going to be great powers. To remain even viable they'd have to attach themselves to a local hegemon who can keep their independence with an arsenals of 6k nuclear warheads, genetic and chemical weapons, and the ability to deploy millions of soldiers.

They don't need anything in that order of magnitude, since their goals are purely defensive, and their rival would be able to easily gobble them up piecemeal, but isn't remotely powerful enough to take them on as part of an European block. In the case of Ukraine, their problem is they aren't part of this block.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

When there is a 150,000 soldier army right on your border that has been methodically building up and transferring assets from Siberia and dispatching naval fleets to the Black Sea, your allies are telling you, using the satellite surveillance and sigint that you don't have, that they're about to invade maybe having skepticism about whether or not that army will invade is not conducive to the continued existence of your government given that the same army on your border has been fighting you for 8 years already and has already annexed a chunk of your land.

Feels like Zelenskiy is doing a great impression of an ostrich right now to be honest

Zelensky is right, though, his job is to keep the country functioning, not to burn everything down in blind panic. Even if he believes the attack is imminent, it is reasonable of him to stay reserved and make preparations quietly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I don't think he's in denial, I think he's trying to reduce tensions as much as possible since he knows his country's the only one on the line if things kick off. It's easy for the US to ramp up the rhetoric from a continent and an ocean away, and maybe Zelensky's facing that sobering reality.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I don't think he's in denial, I think he's trying to reduce tensions as much as possible since he knows his country's the only one on the line if things kick off. It's easy for the US to ramp up the rhetoric from a continent and an ocean away, and maybe Zelensky's facing that sobering reality.

Okay, this makes sense to me and I agree with it. Thanks for clarifying your point

Edit:

steinrokkan posted:

Zelensky is right, though, his job is to keep the country functioning, not to burn everything down in blind panic. Even if he believes the attack is imminent, it is reasonable of him to stay reserved and make preparations quietly.

Thanks for this comment as well

peej
Apr 10, 2009

Fuligin posted:

what tripe

One of those native speakers was the author's mother...probably just showed her the google translate and asked what it meant. I do wonder where the heck they got this idea to begin with.

That said I would very much like to know her mother's answer to the schnitzel question.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Zelensky is playing this pretty smart IMO. He’s providing Russia a rhetorical ‘of course we were never going to invade’ off-ramp. At least that’s my read.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dreissi posted:

Zelensky is playing this pretty smart IMO. He’s providing Russia a rhetorical ‘of course we were never going to invade’ off-ramp. At least that’s my read.

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1487098196576940036?s=20&t=TD1RimBdgZMljiDbQiE19A

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Xarn posted:

Found the foreign plant, cinci can't be a slav. :v:

i mean, putin doesn't drink

o gently caress

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's not an invasion if the oblasts are rebelling against Moscow.

I'd also like to say. Ще не вмерла України

"

UK prime minister Boris Johnson will speak to Russia's president Putin in coming days on Ukraine crisis. - Coming week could be important one for Johnson on foreign policy stage as he looks to assert UK role in mediating crisis
"

gently caress the UK and gently caress Bojack

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 29, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: We must respect the right to a schnitzel of influence

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It’s clearly “schnitzel provocation in Olivier sphere of influence”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

UK prime minister Boris Johnson will speak to Russia's president Putin in coming days on Ukraine crisis. - Coming week could be important one for Johnson on foreign policy stage as he looks to assert UK role in mediating crisis

Things are probably popping off next week.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It feels like western leaders are taking turns: "who has Putin duty this week? Boris? Boris!"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ah gently caress if BoJo is up next then you may as well start printing up new maps

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Joking aside, given the weather/terrain and fuel resource and medical points that have been spotted, right now what the Russians would appear to be waiting are the final elements en route arriving (naval, final leg of Eastern Military District on rail to Belarus/frontier, recently spotted 76th Guards), which would be followed by staffing movements to Yelnya, Pogonovo and a couple of the smaller marshalling grounds, and from there advancing to the forward positions just prior to the offensive.

So next week seems good unless they're looking to stall more.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nurmie posted:

i'm assuming there is no analogue to the word "грозящее" in the Ukrainian language

loving hell how do you become a "National security reporter @politico" and refuse to even open the dictionary and look up words in the language you're making a big brain take on

i just want to point out that the us has courageously taken the lead in promoting people as regional experts who know less than nothing about the region. see, for instance, our collection of 'middle east' experts who literally could not tell you the difference between farsi and arabic, much less know even basic phrases in either, to say nothing of actually speaking the relevant languages or having visited or lived in their supposed areas of expertise

basically to answer your question: extremely easily. hell it's probably easier than actually being knowledgeable

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 29, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i just want to point out that the us has courageously taken the lead in promoting people as regional experts who know less than nothing about the region. see, for instance, our collection of 'middle east' experts who literally could not tell you the difference between farsi and arabic, much less know even basic phrases in either, to say nothing of actually speaking the relevant languages or having visited or lived in their supposed areas of expertise

basically to answer your question: extremely easily. hell it's probably easier than actually being knowledgeable
First amendment without ANY regulations at all was a mistaaaaaaake

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Joking aside, given the weather/terrain and fuel resource and medical points that have been spotted, right now what the Russians would appear to be waiting are the final elements en route arriving (naval, final leg of Eastern Military District on rail to Belarus/frontier, recently spotted 76th Guards), which would be followed by staffing movements to Yelnya, Pogonovo and a couple of the smaller marshalling grounds, and from there advancing to the forward positions just prior to the offensive.

So next week seems good unless they're looking to stall more.

They won’t stomp all over Xi’s Olympic parade. Two weeks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

iv46vi posted:

It’s clearly “schnitzel provocation in Olivier sphere of influence”

I keep getting trumped with these much better ones, ugh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HonorableTB posted:

Ah gently caress if BoJo is up next then you may as well start printing up new maps
BoJo, the beleaguered Prime Minister of the UK, calls for help against rebels within his own government. After a slew of assassinations trigger a general revolt among the political class, which threatens the flow of Russian money into London, Johnson signs the UK up to the CIS and calls on Putin to help him put down the rebels. The conflict ends in a stalemate, with London and the Home Counties remaining in the CIS while the remainder of the UK devolves into a weak federation.

Morrow posted:

It feels like western leaders are taking turns: "who has Putin duty this week? Boris? Boris!"
Is it a duty? Or a way the show they're big important global players?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

London and the Home Counties remaining in the CIS while the remainder of the UK devolves into a weak federation.

Essex renamed Chavorussia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

Found the foreign plant, cinci can't be a slav. :v:

I'm a Balt, yeah? :v:

Sinteres posted:

So the translation thing is dumb, but I think the underlying point is probably right, where Zelensky thinks the US is presenting an air of inevitability with some of the statements and the embassy withdrawal and everything, which could lead to Russia feeling like the cake's pretty much been baked and they may as well hop on over. That's obviously a simplification, and I don't think the US has quite that level of power with its tone alone, but I do think the US is extremely bad about using overheated language and is pretty lousy at public diplomacy in general, partially because blinkered Manichean thinking really is a problem here, and partially because everything's so dumbed down for domestic consumption. I have a lot more hope for the four party talks with Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany than anything involving the US.

Yes, it's this that I've been replying about to various posters chiming in on Zelenskyi's semantic disagreements with the White House, incessantly. I'd say the language more comes off as disenfranchising towards Ukraine, rather than empowering Russia, but that's not a distinction worth a discussion.

As for the highlighted bit, it's useful for foreign posters, especially Americans, to keep in mind that tone of speech has different gravity in different parts of the world. Eastern Europeans, especially the European part of the ex-USSR, will take the tone very seriously, which leads to poo poo like American smiling being seen as outright offensive. Here's a good article on this: https://www.chicagomaroon.com/2002/04/12/why-russians-do-not-smile/

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, it's this that I've been replying about to various posters chiming in on Zelenskyi's semantic disagreements with the White House, incessantly. I'd say the language more comes off as disenfranchising towards Ukraine, rather than empowering Russia, but that's not a distinction worth a discussion.

He literally said yesterday that the situation is unchanged from a year ago. That's not semantic disagreement. That's a different message. If American and UK intelligence accrding to biden is accurate then Zelensky needs to get people people panicking. Foreign investors will also be driven away by an active military invasion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

He literally said yesterday that the situation is unchanged from a year ago. That's not semantic disagreement. That's a different message. If American intelligence accrding to biden is accurate then Zelensky needs to get people people panicking. Foreign investors will also be driven away by an active military invasion.

Sure, I’ve seen that and it did raise my eyebrows in some ways, but I think you’re quoting him out of context. Here’s an article from the Guardian, who were briefed yesterday by him directly (emphases mine):

quote:

….

In a briefing to foreign media organisations including the Guardian, Zelenskiy shrugged off claims his government was in denial, with an attitude that commentators on social media had compared to the Netflix drama Don’t Look Up.

“We are looking up. We do understand what is happening. But we have been in the situation for eight years. We should not only be looking up but also at the ground,” he said. “The threat is constant.” He added: “We can’t say the war will happen tomorrow or by the end of February. Yes, it may happen, unfortunately. But you have to feel the pulse on a day-to-day basis.”

Asked if Boris Johnson’s government had made a mistake in withdrawing some diplomats, Zelenskiy said: “Yes. In these circumstances everyone is essential.”

He noted that the Greeks had kept open their consulate in the city of Mariupol, next to the frontline with Russian-backed separatists. “You can hear canons firing. The Greeks didn’t pull anyone out. The captains should not leave the ship. I don’t think we have a Titanic here.”

Zelenskiy said the recent buildup of Kremlin forces was “no more intense” than in spring 2021. “If you look at the satellite you will see the increase of troops. You can’t assess if it’s a threat, an attack or simple rotation,” he said, adding that some of the tents for Russian soldiers appeared to be empty.

Moscow moved in additional troops before major diplomatic negotiations, he said. “It’s psychological. They want to make believe they are there. They are trying to build up psychological pressure.”

Zelenskiy denied differences with the US administration, after a phone call on Thursday night with Joe Biden. “We don’t have any misunderstandings with President Biden. I just deeply understand what’s happening in my country, just as he does with the US,” he said.

“Do we have tanks on the streets? No,” he said. Hyped media reports were causing panic in the financial sector, damaging the “purse” of Ukrainians, and depleting Ukraine’s gold reserves and currency, he said.

….

Second emphasised bit alone would be questionable, but overall I don’t feel that his administration has any illusions about what’s happening, or has been downplaying any threats further than to just calm down the rhetoric. Panicking is stupid, and Ukrainians can prepare to what may come without panicking.

That said, my post was referencing the entirety of preceding conversation, with multiple people handwringing for days about Zelenskyi not happily reciting everything the White House or Biden says. Yesterday’s conference does only slightly change that, and imo only happened because Anglo journalists can’t let the topic go, and the commercial media machine requires 24/7 clickbait that’s simply not being generated by Ukraine right now.

People are for actual loving real going “Ukraine please do a visible panic, we have a dramatic war to report on”.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FishBulbia posted:

He literally said yesterday that the situation is unchanged from a year ago. That's not semantic disagreement. That's a different message. If American and UK intelligence accrding to biden is accurate then Zelensky needs to get people people panicking. Foreign investors will also be driven away by an active military invasion.

Why on earth would zelenskii need to get people panicking?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 29, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The origin of the divergence between the Baltic and Slavic languages finally determined.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As for the highlighted bit, it's useful for foreign posters, especially Americans, to keep in mind that tone of speech has different gravity in different parts of the world. Eastern Europeans, especially the European part of the ex-USSR, will take the tone very seriously, which leads to poo poo like American smiling being seen as outright offensive. Here's a good article on this: https://www.chicagomaroon.com/2002/04/12/why-russians-do-not-smile/
Reading this, I feel like this has to be a gradient of sorts, with Americans on one end and Eastern Europeans on the other. The bus incident could've easily happened here in Denmark too, though customer facing or business relationship involve more smiling. American grins definitely still definitely signal someone at best being a bit of a salesman, or a scammer if they're a complete stranger.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That said, my post was referencing the entirety of preceding conversation, with multiple people handwringing for days about Zelenskyi not happily reciting everything the White House or Biden says. Yesterday’s conference does only slightly change that, and imo only happened because Anglo journalists can’t let the topic go, and the commercial media machine requires 24/7 clickbait that’s simply not being generated by Ukraine right now.

People are for actual loving real going “Ukraine please do a visible panic, we have a dramatic war to report on”.

Clearly, the west is right now in a state of war fever and the media and some in the government seem very excited about Ukraine "fighting to the last drop of blood."

But there are two emerging different images of the Russian threat. The European and American press want to see images of tanks blitzing across ukrainian fields and massive good for TV war. Zelensky clearly fears an internal coup or unrest which might lead to an "invitation for protection" or Ukraine being domestically turbo hosed and left in a ruined state.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Why on earth would zelenskii need to get people panicking?

Perhaps panicked is the wrong word, I chose it as his statements have been justified as "preventing panic," but if a general invasion is less than two weeks away I think a leader has a responsibility to tell a population and devote all energy to defense and assuring civilians can stay alive.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 29, 2022

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

Perhaps panicked is the wrong word, but if a general invasion is less than two weeks away I think a leader has a responsibility to tell a population and devote all energy to defense and assuring civilians can stay alive.

Perhaps Ukrainians, by the virtue of living in Ukraine, the country supposedly under the threat of imminent invasion, perceive the situation differently from someone on the other side of the world?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Can you stop double posting?

In other news: lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/AS7404542949/status/1486964256356585475

This needs 10 paragraphs written about how it's the west's fault and we need to understand the perspective of Putin
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1487145451803582469

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

barbecue at the folks posted:

Perhaps Ukrainians, by the virtue of living in Ukraine, the country supposedly under the threat of imminent invasion, perceive the situation differently from someone on the other side of the world?

What is this supposed to mean? Are you saying Biden and Boris is wrong to percieve a build up as a threat of invasion?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

In other news: lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/AS7404542949/status/1486964256356585475

This needs 10 paragraphs written about how it's the west's fault and we need to understand the perspective of Putin

howling

FishBulbia posted:

Clearly, the west is right now in a state of war fever and the media and some in the government seem very excited about Ukraine "fighting to the last drop of blood."

But there are two emerging different images of the Russian threat. The European and American press want to see images of tanks blitzing across ukrainian fields and massive good for TV war. Zelensky clearly fears an internal coup or unrest which might lead to an "invitation for protection" or Ukraine being domestically turbo hosed and left in a ruined state.

I do agree with you, and I think it really is the latter. Specifically, that Zelenskyi sees genuine risks of 1) collapse of the economy, triggered by speculation on the markets (e.g., Russian stock market is not doing great already, and Ukrainian economy is orders of magnitude less robust than the Russian), and 2) the armed forces falling apart, in part because this entire development has caught them in the middle of chain of command reforms towards a more localised, NATO-style approach to command and control.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

What is this supposed to mean? Are you saying Biden and Boris is wrong to percieve a build up as a threat of invasion?
I don't think panic has ever served any country. Like, imagine the consequences of the president saying "We expect this third of the country to be a warzone within two weeks". Like someone else said, a sufficient level of panic might "justify" Russian intervention, claiming it is essentially a humanitarian mission to protect the people of Ukraine from its criminally incompetent government. Also, saying you expect that means you suddenly have to expand the scope of your preparations massively, taking your focus away from preventing the invasion in the first place. It is a gamble of sorts, but the downside seems pretty minor compared to what they can realistically achieve besides create panic, making any reduction in the risk of invasion basically free.

Also, a threat of invasion is not the same as an invasion. If you let a threat of invasion guide your every move with a neighbor like Russia, then your neighbor could basically dictate policy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1487372286596370432