Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like how theres a good couple of seconds between the people seeing the bear and then scrambling away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Harry_Potato posted:

Apparently Biden is smarter than Fox News gives him credit for, based off of the photo op shots below. They will complain he's using the bridge collapse to push his infrastructure agenda. OANN will call out the bridge as a Crisis Actor. Turmp will claim it's a false flag and ANTIFA blew it up to avert attention from the border.

mmm, sharp

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bismuth posted:

I like how theres a good couple of seconds between the people seeing the bear and then scrambling away

I think they've all heard that running from predators is bad, so they wait for it to turn away before bolting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/gH7EmaY.mp4

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

"sir, if you would put the lighter away we'll give you a bag of almonds, a blender, and some coffee filters and you can make your own"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

"sir, if you would put the lighter away we'll give you a bag of almonds, a blender, and some coffee filters and you can make your own"

Nah.

More like, "Sir, I'd like you to speak with our overnight shift lead." As she bursts through the front door in a nightgown, let's out a bellowing warcry, then picks up the arsonist and slams them repeatedly into the burning stack of toilets paper, putting out the fire.
"How's your almond milk now, motherfucker! You hosed my next shift."

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

That's some pro-level extinguisher use too. That probably saved the sprinklers from going off, saving all the merch in the store. Plus a fire in a public place where people don't know the exits can get real real bad easy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's some pro-level extinguisher use too. That probably saved the sprinklers from going off, saving all the merch in the store. Plus a fire in a public place where people don't know the exits can get real real bad easy.

Especially in the kindling department full of paper wrapped in plastic, conveniently next to the plastic bottles of cleaning supplies section. The aisles are pretty wide, but I bet the piles of paper towels could fall over and make things real interesting. I don't know what happens if you set fire to a plastic jug of Downy, but I bet it's awful.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

That's some pro-level extinguisher use too.

It's pass-able.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Bet they'll have my almond milk next time!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Uncle Enzo posted:

The sprinklers don't all go off at once, but yeah it certainly saved a lot of merch.

moparacker posted:

It's pass-able.

Nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The kind of person who buys almond milk would be the kind of person to set fire to a Wal-Mart. It's expensive, uses an unbelievable amount of resources to make, and doesn't even taste good.

The thinking man's milk alternative is oat milk, which is made from a crop that is essentially a grass and cheap and water-efficient enough to use as animal feed, and it tastes more like real milk too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgyJMhQFbA

At least this guy has fast reflexes!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how his first instinct after his rifle malfunctions and the magazine shoots out of the gun is to put another one in and try to keep going.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cojawfee posted:

I like how his first instinct after his rifle malfunctions and the magazine shoots out of the gun is to put another one in and try to keep going.

I mean there is something to be said for pushing through a malfunction but when it became pretty clear the mag wouldn't seat properly he or the rso should have called a cease fire to make sure there wasn't a blockage

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I mean, it looks like some militia training so if they're going for realism of any sort it would make sense to keep going even after your gun jams as you're mowing down people in the Walgreens parking lot for existing.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
It was a match so he didn't want to stop and check for a blockage because he was on the clock

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Especially in the kindling department full of paper wrapped in plastic, conveniently next to the plastic bottles of cleaning supplies section. The aisles are pretty wide, but I bet the piles of paper towels could fall over and make things real interesting. I don't know what happens if you set fire to a plastic jug of Downy, but I bet it's awful.

The fire gets really soft and smells springtime fresh.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yep, Pretty impressed with the response time, that fire looks barely 2 minute old. Probably had about a minute or so left before first sprinkler activation assuming it’s a newer building with QR heads.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

B-Rock452 posted:

It was a match so he didn't want to stop and check for a blockage because he was on the clock

Yeah, he was completely in tunnel vision. Normally if your gun is failing to fire that many rounds, unless you're using questionable handloads, there's something seriously wrong with the gun and you need to stop and examine it. In this case he likely had a squib load (the cartridge barely detonated and the bullet is stuck in the barrel) and the next round to successfully fire exploded the mag straight out the bottom. Fortunately the explosion had also damaged the bolt badly enough that it wouldn't load a fresh round for him to blow up a second time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When I learned SPORTS in the military, they never covered what to do when you're huddled inside a minivan and your magazines keep exploding out of the gun.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Death before disqualification

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean there is something to be said for pushing through a malfunction but when it became pretty clear the mag wouldn't seat properly he or the rso should have called a cease fire to make sure there wasn't a blockage

But if someone did that we might not have a hilarious injury video to post to Youtube!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Uncle Enzo posted:

Makes me wonder if this is a common occurrence and she's done this plenty of times before. lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sigher posted:

Makes me wonder if this is a common occurrence and she's done this plenty of times before. lol

"Excuse me, there's a fire in the store"
"What is on fire?"
"Paper towels"
"Ah, I guess we're out of almond milk."

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Uncle Enzo posted:

You aren't wrong, and it's more likely than not that he's saved some lives by putting that fire out. But I've been trained & told that fire extinguishers are only there to be used to clear an exit path to escape, not to extinguish the fire itself.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yep, Pretty impressed with the response time, that fire looks barely 2 minute old. Probably had about a minute or so left before first sprinkler activation assuming it’s a newer building with QR heads.

^^and this is the reason why^^ Imagine you use the whole extinguisher on that fire and it's still not out, now you've got to make your escape and the fire extinguisher you have is empty.

Nobody is going to accuse you of any wrongdoing for trying to help, at least legally, but recognize that you're not dressed or equipped to put out a fire and your main responsibility as a human is to keep yourself alive and to help/not hinder others. Let the poo poo on the shelf burn, man. It's already gone.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/OnDisasters/status/1487377479861948418

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Portables are definitely designed for full extinguishment of a fire. They are specifically sized and placed at certain intervals based on the hazard of the building.

That’s a 10lber and barely any of the powder in it was used in that video. That size fire is the exact reason why portables exist, and the reason why there is a push to get them more universally reinstalled into buildings after two decades of them being taken out.

Yes, when there is a fire you should immediately begin evacuating, which is why extinguishers are placed along exit paths. However, if the fire is small then turning back to extinguish it is definitely doable and can really end up saving lives.

Relying on the sprinkler system to extinguish the fire is not a guarantee, and if you let the fire get past the incipient stage, and if the sprinkler system is impaired for some reason, then that small fire could easily kill someone who cant find an exit, and was never alerted to evac until it was to late.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

drat, it just ate that container like nothing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoWake posted:

You aren't wrong, and it's more likely than not that he's saved some lives by putting that fire out. But I've been trained & told that fire extinguishers are only there to be used to clear an exit path to escape, not to extinguish the fire itself.

^^and this is the reason why^^ Imagine you use the whole extinguisher on that fire and it's still not out, now you've got to make your escape and the fire extinguisher you have is empty.

Nobody is going to accuse you of any wrongdoing for trying to help, at least legally, but recognize that you're not dressed or equipped to put out a fire and your main responsibility as a human is to keep yourself alive and to help/not hinder others. Let the poo poo on the shelf burn, man. It's already gone.

this seems...not universally true. or at least it's highly contextual.

like, if i'm supervising in the metal shop and some careless student lights their notebook on fire with welding sparks, of course i'll start telling people to leave the room, but i'm also going to get the fire extinguisher that is 10 feet away and put it out. i'm not going to abandon a totally manageable fire to see what it turns into in ten minutes when the fire department arrives.

but if i'm supervising in the wood shop and some disgruntled student lights the entire wood storage rack on fire, well yes, i'm gonna skip trying to deal with that myself and we'll evacuate.

it's almost as though people should be trained in recognizing appropriate situations for an extinguisher and using the things correctly :thunk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

"Excuse me, there's a fire in the store"
"What is on fire?"
"Paper towels"
"Ah, I guess we're out of almond milk."

you're joking but i was working grocery stocking in almond milk which was right next to the paper products aisle at the beginning of the pandemic and when people couldn't get toilet paper they got progressively angrier to the point i think they would have tried to set my almond milks on fire. one lady asked four times in two hours getting progressively angrier each time i told her that was not my department and i had nothing to do with it and could not tell her when there would be any more.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

this seems...not universally true. or at least it's highly contextual.

Absolutely, from one extreme to another (trash can fire to the entire aisle of toilet paper on fire) you're going to have to draw the line somewhere. I'd put the line toward saving lives over property, is all.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
That fire looked controllable and it clearly hadn't been going long. They probably evacuated that store anyways, but thanks to that employee they got to do it with the lights on and air that everyone could breathe.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/X0IlsuU.mp4

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

have you ever tried to milk an almond? the tits on that thing are loving tiny

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Unironically commending this dudes technique.

Bottom to top, the fire gon' stop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NoWake posted:

But I've been trained & told that fire extinguishers are only there to be used to clear an exit path to escape, not to extinguish the fire itself.
Cue wilhelm scream. If you need a fire extinguisher to clear an exit path you are already dead. Your energy is better spent finding another path or making a last ditch shelter in place.

Fire extinguishers are for putting out manageable fires while you still have an escape path. If at any point it seems unmanageable or your escape path is even vaguely threatened you get out and summon and wait for the people with equipment that will make it manageable without being in a threatening location.

Sagebrush posted:

it's almost as though people should be trained in recognizing appropriate situations for an extinguisher and using the things correctly :thunk:
Its awful this isn't a highschool course yet. Going out to a field of stuff on fire with different extinguishers and some guides is fun and informational and comes highly recommended.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

Cue wilhelm scream. If you need a fire extinguisher to clear an exit path you are already dead. Your energy is better spent finding another path or making a last ditch shelter in place.

Fire extinguishers are for putting out manageable fires while you still have an escape path. If at any point it seems unmanageable or your escape path is even vaguely threatened you get out and summon and wait for the people with equipment that will make it manageable without being in a threatening location.

Its awful this isn't a highschool course yet. Going out to a field of stuff on fire with different extinguishers and some guides is fun and informational and comes highly recommended.

Sure, just do it on the last day of senior year so now that they know exactly how much powder they discharge they don’t get access back into the building with said knowledge.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Sure, just do it on the last day of senior year so now that they know exactly how much powder they discharge they don’t get access back into the building with said knowledge.

I've been told that stuff is a pain to sweep up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

imagine using a fire extinguisher to save your place of work