Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Charles Bukowski posted:

There's way more decks that are meta in goat or Edison or reaper or etc than in modern I think?

Yes, but they've all had over a decade of competitive play and labbing. Basically any format would have a lot of meta-viable decks if you spend that much time figuring it out.

Wasn't historical GOAT format like, three decks, all of them lame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cleretic posted:

Yes, but they've all had over a decade of competitive play and labbing. Basically any format would have a lot of meta-viable decks if you spend that much time figuring it out.
It's actually a controversy in the GOAT community (the tiny, insular-bordering-on-incestuous GOAT community) about how modern deckbuilding philosophy has impacted the 15-year old format. The classic example is that no one really ran Solemn at the time, because half your LP felt like a lot, especially in a much slower game, but now basically everybody runs three.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's kind of funny that Goat Control isn't even the best or even a frequently played deck in Goat format anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

It's kind of funny that Goat Control isn't even the best or even a frequently played deck in Goat format anymore.
One of the best decks is Zoo...

Which barely runs any Beasts any more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Magical Library FTK was also not really explored at the time but it's almost certainly the best deck given that there are zero handtraps and Giant Trunade is unlimited.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Kuriboh is at 3. XD

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Magical Library FTK was also not really explored at the time but it's almost certainly the best deck given that there are zero handtraps and Giant Trunade is unlimited.

It probably isn't the best in that it only has a 50% chance of FTKing, and almost certainly loses if it doesn't. Assuming a 10% chance of winning turn 2/3, and no chance after that:

Scenario 1: RML gets to go first. They then have a 55% win rate. If they win, the next game is 10% (which will close it out), and otherwise they will need another with 55%. If they lose, it will be 55% then 10%. That means they have a 35.2% of winning.

Scenario 2: RML goes second. They then have a 10% win rate. If they actually manage to win, they have a 10% to clear it out, and otherwise go to game 3 with a 55% chance to win. If they lose, they have to nail a 55% win and then a 10% win. This all adds up to a 10.9% win rate.

These rates are abysmal for competitive play. You can tune up the chance to win if they don't FTK, which doesn't have known probabilities, but even then you'd have to place a very high likelihood of it when many decks can OTK and are running 3 solemns (and if RML was dominant, probably other counter traps as well). And even if they fail to do all of those, you need the RML player to actually get a draw that gets them to the FTK, even with the loss of life messing them up, since they need to pay LP to do a bunch of stuff.

And even if you do tune that percentage up, it needs to be something like 30% win rate going second before it is really a deck that can top tournaments. And closer to more like 40% before its running away with the metagame. People don't run RTM because it is unfun, but even if they did, it wouldn't be everything.

Edit: FTR, the rates at 30% if no FTK are 55.9% and 36.3%. At 40% it is 65.8% and 49.6%. So yeah, it's good with 70% win rate if first and 40% if second but that is way above what it actually is.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 28, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Royal Magical Library FTK is the equivalent of a broken as hell infinite in an old fighting game. Objectively unfun to experience on either side of the match, but weirdly hype the first time you see it go off.

A combo that goes through literally the entire deck is just impressive.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 28, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A question for fellow Master Duel players... there's two structure decks in the shop, basically a mainly XYZ-deck and a mainly Pendulum deck. Would it be worth spending 1500 gems to buy three copies of one of those two decks and blend them together with the staples I already have into something consistent?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Skios posted:

A question for fellow Master Duel players... there's two structure decks in the shop, basically a mainly XYZ-deck and a mainly Pendulum deck. Would it be worth spending 1500 gems to buy three copies of one of those two decks and blend them together with the staples I already have into something consistent?

This is basically what I did with the Pendulum deck to build a solid Pendulum Magician core, so yeah.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
What would be the best deck to do this with? Most of my play experience is on the DS games in the Synchro era. XYZ and Link Summoning seem easy enough to do, but every time I try to read up on Pendulum Summoning my eyes glaze over after about two lines. And that's not even getting into the fact that the Pendulum structure deck apparently has a Synchro Pendulum Monster?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skios posted:

What would be the best deck to do this with? Most of my play experience is on the DS games in the Synchro era. XYZ and Link Summoning seem easy enough to do, but every time I try to read up on Pendulum Summoning my eyes glaze over after about two lines. And that's not even getting into the fact that the Pendulum structure deck apparently has a Synchro Pendulum Monster?
Pendulum monsters are much easier to understand when you accept and internalize three things:

1. They are monsters that are also spell cards, and can be used as either. (The top half is the spell, the bottom half is the monster.)

2. The numbers on the sides are the left and right pillars of a gate. The bigger the difference in numbers between your two pillars, the more (kinds of) monsters you can fit through the gate. The game uses pendulums and swinging left and right as the visual metaphor, but that's really hard to internalize in a mechanical sense.

3. They do stupid things with the Extra Deck.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Worth mentioning that the positioning of the Pendulums on the field doesn't matter, so if you have one that has a 3 and one that has a 6 it doesn't matter which one is the left or right

Also while hypothetically it's possible for a single Pendulum to have different numbers, it's never actually been done so you don't have to worry about that part of the card either

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I did notice something just now that I hadn't noticed before - in Master Duel, when you're in solo mode, you can redo the duels with your own decks for extra rewards, usually 200 gems, or other cards, and occasionally an avatar or other cosmetic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skios posted:

I did notice something just now that I hadn't noticed before - in Master Duel, when you're in solo mode, you can redo the duels with your own decks for extra rewards, usually 200 gems, or other cards, and occasionally an avatar or other cosmetic.
Yeah, doing that is the difference between Clear and Complete.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Battle pass maxed out. :toot:

I very much appreciate how easy it is to max out the battle pass. They could have made it an absolute slog like so many other games but they shockingly didn't.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Of all the structure decks the game gives you, which are the closest to meta/completive? Is it the Pendulum deck mentioned above?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would say the Link starter deck. :thunk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Assuming the player can reach the skill level necessary to pilot any of them properly, probably the Link deck, yeah. Cyberse Links is a solid rogue strat and plays very nicely with a lot of staple Link monsters (esp. Accesscode Talker and the Borrels.)

Dragons is the worst IMO, because it's the least applicable to other decks and Blue Eyes very much has the legacy deck problem of all its mechanics being centered around a vanilla monster that's basically useless in your hand on its own. There's a reason some DL players refer to BEWD decks as "Brick-Eyes".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 29, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vandar posted:

Battle pass maxed out. :toot:

I very much appreciate how easy it is to max out the battle pass. They could have made it an absolute slog like so many other games but they shockingly didn't.

I have played maybe...10 online duels and am at level 22. They are def gonna change the math on that at some point lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Hey everybody I've been playing Master Duel for past week and have been having a blast! I'm running Cyber Dragons, and Thunder Dragons as my main decks since the last time I payed attention to YGO was in 2018-2019 when the latter was meta. I just hit Platinum, so I think I'm doing decently well for myself. I even OTK'd a guy with his own card to get there!

Also fortunately I haven't fought Drytons yet, so I don't know why they're apparently the most hated deck in the game. What's their deal, and what's my counterplay?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hey everybody I've been playing Master Duel for past week and have been having a blast! I'm running Cyber Dragons, and Thunder Dragons as my main decks since the last time I payed attention to YGO was in 2018-2019 when the latter was meta. I just hit Platinum, so I think I'm doing decently well for myself. I even OTK'd a guy with his own card to get there!

Also fortunately I haven't fought Drytons yet, so I don't know why they're apparently the most hated deck in the game. What's their deal, and what's my counterplay?

https://www.reddit.com/r/masterduel/comments/seihds/drytron_turn_1_combo_for_people_trying_to_learn/

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Well, when you spell it out like that... :shepface:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I finished dueling a guy where, if he attacked at the start of his turn he would have won.

Which he did, after finishing a completely unnecessary 20 card combo. I had a completely open field and no hand traps. loving Dryton players

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I finished dueling a guy where, if he attacked at the start of his turn he would have won.

Which he did, after finishing a completely unnecessary 20 card combo. I had a completely open field and no hand traps. loving Dryton players
I'll admit, sometimes I play out a full combo even if it seems like the board is open and like I've got an easy shot to win. I've lost games due to doing something stupid like forgetting about an EM Turtle in the GY .

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I sometimes just miss that i have lethal and will start making plays, countings hard

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I also have a easier time since I played Counter Fairy, which pretty much will ruin any combo for at least a turn or two if not permanently. This F2P format works really well if you focus on using your craft to keep upgrading one deck to be meta competitive to some degree.

Currently, I ditched all The Agent and Sanctuary from the Sky stuff from it, since they sucked and aren't really needed to run a Counter Trap deck, so now it become a Light Fairy deck with Counter Trap with experiment cards to test for improvement over time.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 29, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've been playing a lot in solo mode just to learn the lines of the pendulum deck I've built. The few times I took it online, I either misplayed horribly, or vomited out a bunch of monsters and then had my opponent surrender.

Speaking of playing online... it's really annoying to run into someone who is apparently connecting to the internet via a potato. I've had several matches the past few days where I'd spend twenty minutes looking at the lost connection signal on my opponent, with them staying just long enough to make a play every thirty seconds or so, only for the connection to finally collapse and kick me back out to the duel screen. I really wish there was some sort of compensation for having your time wasted like that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Btw, which part of that combo can I negate to hopefully interrupt the whole thing or make them lose the most card investment?

edit: found it.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 29, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

girl dick energy posted:

I'll admit, sometimes I play out a full combo even if it seems like the board is open and like I've got an easy shot to win. I've lost games due to doing something stupid like forgetting about an EM Turtle in the GY .

I will absolutely do some tire spinning bullshit with Dragonmaids if it means I get to get the final blow with Tinkhec (who is my favorite). :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

I sometimes just miss that i have lethal and will start making plays, countings hard
Don't forget the even more painful opposite: "Okay, I've got lethal, I'll just swi- what do you mean he has 200 LP left"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I guess it says something about where I'm currently at on the ladder that I ran into an honest to goodness Chain Burn deck, and a poorly piloted one at that. I was playing my Pendulum Magician deck. I had a fairly standard opener, but missed some gas. I ended on Heavymetalfoes Electrumite and my scales set, with Raigeki and Monster Reborn in hand. I passed the turn to my opponent who, after some thinking, set five trap cards. I thought to myself 'Great, Eldlich' and assumed my turn. However, as soon as I got going my opponent activated Just Desserts to burn me for 1000, following it up by chaining two Poison of the Old Man. After that the chain resolved.

At this point I decided not to go for any fancy plays and just knock my opponent off the board in one go. They didn't draw into any of their three copies of Waboku, Threatening Roar or Thunder of Ruler, so even though I still ended up eating 2500 damage off of a Dimension Wall and another 800 off a Chain Strike chained to that, but I closed out the game via combat damage on my second turn.

On a related note, why would anyone play Magical Cylinder when Dimension Wall is a thing? They're cheaper to craft and don't target. Is there some obscure Magical Cylinder support that I don't know about?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Skios posted:

I guess it says something about where I'm currently at on the ladder that I ran into an honest to goodness Chain Burn deck, and a poorly piloted one at that. I was playing my Pendulum Magician deck. I had a fairly standard opener, but missed some gas. I ended on Heavymetalfoes Electrumite and my scales set, with Raigeki and Monster Reborn in hand. I passed the turn to my opponent who, after some thinking, set five trap cards. I thought to myself 'Great, Eldlich' and assumed my turn. However, as soon as I got going my opponent activated Just Desserts to burn me for 1000, following it up by chaining two Poison of the Old Man. After that the chain resolved.

At this point I decided not to go for any fancy plays and just knock my opponent off the board in one go. They didn't draw into any of their three copies of Waboku, Threatening Roar or Thunder of Ruler, so even though I still ended up eating 2500 damage off of a Dimension Wall and another 800 off a Chain Strike chained to that, but I closed out the game via combat damage on my second turn.

On a related note, why would anyone play Magical Cylinder when Dimension Wall is a thing? They're cheaper to craft and don't target. Is there some obscure Magical Cylinder support that I don't know about?

You joke but Yes.

Why you say?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 31, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Magical Cylinder is better when your opponent is attacking a monster. Guess it could matter if they're playing Scarecrow and Battle Fader.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
current version of my Ancient Gears/Trains deck for Master Duel;

3x Ancient Gear Hunting Hound
1x Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring
1x Ancient Gear Knight
1x Ancient Gear Box
2x Ancient Gear Gadget
3x Ancient Gear Wyvern
3x Ancient Gear Frame
3x Infinitrack Anchor Drill
2x Ancient Gear Golem
1x Ancient Gear Reactor Dragon
2x Heavy Freight Train Derricrane
1x Super Express Bullet Train
1x Power Bond
1x Overload Fusion
2x Ancient Gear Catapult
1x Ancient Gear Fusion
1x Ancient Gear Tank
1x Geartown
2x Ancient Gear Castle
2x Ancient Gear Fortress
2x Heavy Forward
1x Urgent Schedule
1x Dust Tornado
1x Stronghold the Moving Fortress
1x Ancient Gear Reborn

3x Ancient Gear Howitzer
1x Ancient Gear Megaton Golem
2x Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem
2x Chaos Ancient Gear Giant
1x Gem-Knight Pearl
1x Kachi Kochi Dragon
1x Number 81: Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Super Dora
2x Platinum Gadget
1x Ancient Gear Ballista

anything I should be changing up besides swapping out some of the filler Extra Deck monsters for more of the various train XYZ's once I unlock more of them?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Made it to Plat 1 just in time. Pretty wild that you can do it so easily on an F2P account, I still have like 6K gems saved if you include all the solo stuff I haven't done yet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

new season is in, and they removed rank skipping with win streaks.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Made it to Plat 1 just in time. Pretty wild that you can do it so easily on an F2P account, I still have like 6K gems saved if you include all the solo stuff I haven't done yet.

The flood of new players makes it easy because a lot of them dont read the goddamn cards, and they generally pilot some very strong decks and complicated decks very poorly.
I crawled my way up to plat V with lunalights, losing more on bricked or less capable hands than anything else, I think i got outplayed only a few times.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 1, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I got in just in time, then. Jumped from Gold 4 to Plat 5 hours before the change. Now to get repeatedly and brutally stomped by actual meta decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The flood of new players makes it easy because a lot of them dont read the goddamn cards, and they generally pilot some very strong decks and complicated decks very poorly.
For sure, even in my last game before promotion my opponent did the tribrigade combo wrongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So if you say got demoted from Plat to Gold V in the new season, you don't get any rewards from Rookie to Silver. And since your demotion is apparently based on your "final rank", you're better off just conceding to Bronze at the end of the season so you can get the rank up rewards again? Not to mention, since you can't de-rank from Plat 1 anymore, you're effectively encouraged to never reach Plat 1? Konami what :psyduck: