Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

The model 3 also drops the window if you pull the manual lever. There's a chance that an aggressive door opener might swing it open so quickly that the window hits the trim before it's had a chance to go down, so the car reminds you to please hit the button next time.

It's really not a big deal.

The very early 3s (like mine) didn’t have a switch on the manual lever so ya, you can damage the window seals I guess if you do it all the time. My pax door has been opened that way a bunch of times with no noticeable damage though, so I don’t know exactly what the failure mode is. The newer ones (and I think all Ys) have a switch that turns the manual release into essentially the same thing as the button.

The problem I have more often with unfamiliar passengers is an inability to even find the manual release. They’ll just stare at the door card in confusion until I remind them that there are only two controls there, one is lit up, and that they should probably try one if they’d like the door to open.

To be fair, I had the same experience with the electric door releases on my 2008 Z06, so it’s not new to me. The C6 didn’t even have (readily accessible) manual releases, so I don’t know how that got past the feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody died in a a C6 or C7 cause they couldn't find the manual release

Edit: and a dog :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't think it's a great idea to operate a vehicle on such slim margins with range. First of all, you'll never get the full 100-0%, and if you forgot to charge last night then welp, time to call in at work.

That is why more margin is already baked in; it's not slim

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cruft posted:

In case I didn't explain this clearly: Tesla also drops the window if you open the door with the pull lever.

It didn’t for a long time, and you can still potentially beat the window leaving its frame if you’re pushing hard on the door when you open it. It’s silly, and I’m almost positive the Mach-E had a similar button in the prototype phase, which is why their interior door release looks so much like a “manual override.”

Ola posted:

The best way to get Tesla to change their dumb design choices is to make a successful aftermarket product that circumvents it. That seems to hit a lot harder than simply complaining.

This checks out. Tesla is a company that, for all its faults, is generally Good At Capitalism, and if someone else is extracting wealth from consumers then you’re doing capitalism incorrectly. The goal is to eventually obtain all money, leaving none for anyone else, and then (I assume) sit atop your hoard like a Tolkienesque dragon.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mazda is a small company with not a lot of R&D bux. I wouldn't be surprised if they team up with toyota this decade like subaru have done. Basically toyota is going to own both subaru and mazda by 2030.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Russian Bear posted:

Mazda is a small company with not a lot of R&D bux. I wouldn't be surprised if they team up with toyota this decade like subaru have done. Basically toyota is going to own both subaru and mazda by 2030.

They've already done a 3/Axela hybrid with the Mazda 2l coupled with the Toyota Hybrid system. Japan only and only available as sedan with compromised boot space but still a good collaboration.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dissss posted:

They've already done a 3/Axela hybrid with the Mazda 2l coupled with the Toyota Hybrid system. Japan only and only available as sedan with compromised boot space but still a good collaboration.

The funny thing about that is that the Mazda version is widely considered to be better :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Russian Bear posted:

they're already opening a joint venture plant with Toyota to produce a joint platform SUV somewhere in the south, I think in Alabama

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ola posted:

The best way to get Tesla to change their dumb design choices is to make a successful aftermarket product that circumvents it. That seems to hit a lot harder than simply complaining.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a dongle that automatically puts the wipers into wiper service mode when parked (so they can be thawed by pre-heating the car).

The really unfortunate thing about the frameless windows in a cold climate (and you park outdoors) is that the windows will freeze to the window seals and will be unable to retract until you run a credit card or something between the window and the seal to unstick them. This damages the seal slightly, making future events like this more likely, but closing the door with the window fully up is completely impossible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pun pundit posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a dongle that automatically puts the wipers into wiper service mode when parked (so they can be thawed by pre-heating the car).

The really unfortunate thing about the frameless windows in a cold climate (and you park outdoors) is that the windows will freeze to the window seals and will be unable to retract until you run a credit card or something between the window and the seal to unstick them. This damages the seal slightly, making future events like this more likely, but closing the door with the window fully up is completely impossible.

Wouldn't a simple solution in both cases be to just add some strips of heating elements on the door seals and the places the windshield wipers park?

I know a bunch of cars already do that with the wipers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

wolrah posted:

Wouldn't a simple solution in both cases be to just add some strips of heating elements on the door seals and the places the windshield wipers park?

I know a bunch of cars already do that with the wipers.

Chinese Model 3/Ys are getting this for the wipers already, not sure how soon the Freemont ones will get this.

https://twitter.com/TeslaOwnersofMA/status/1477839883926396928

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've got another Tesla beef.

When you pull up the seat heater diagram, it's rotated 90° CCW for no drat reason. It'd be a lot less mental load to just mash the seat behind the driver on the diagram rather than the seat to the right of the bottom left seat. You get me?

And in v11 there's some other car diagram with the car rotated 90° CW. If I can find something with a full 180° we'll have every possible right angle rotation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kinda shocked we aren't yet at the "Hey Tesla, turn on the driver's heated seat" phase of infuriating vehicle user interface.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Hopefully the wipers get exposed on the API at some point. For the doors, silicon spray on the seals works for me. I would use that on framed doors as well, I've pulled the inner seal off with the door more than once. You need some moisture between the window and the seal for it to freeze, in practice that isn't too hard to avoid with pre-heating. But if I've been xc skiing and am sweaty, get in to a cold car and drive a short distance, I'm likely to leave some moisture behind which can cause freezing. Going skiing in mid-Feb so will get a chance to test more then.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Heated wipers, but still no air conditioned seats.

:(

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Kinda shocked we aren't yet at the "Hey Tesla, turn on the driver's heated seat" phase of infuriating vehicle user interface.

Aren't we there already? I feel Elon wanted V11 to be so lovely it's forcing their software devs to implement voice controls further.

I still hate using Tesla's voice controls outside navigating to my favorite Chinese food pickup place.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Aren't we there already? I feel Elon wanted V11 to be so lovely it's forcing their software devs to implement voice controls further.

I still hate using Tesla's voice controls outside navigating to my favorite Chinese food pickup place.

I find that their voice control generally works pretty well, but this is countered by the fact that voice control is a lovely, clunky replacement for a proper user interface.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Wrong voice command.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/tesla-voice-commands/308/warm-up-my-butt

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Chinese Model 3/Ys are getting this for the wipers already, not sure how soon the Freemont ones will get this.

https://twitter.com/TeslaOwnersofMA/status/1477839883926396928

Unlocking for already built ones, or being built now?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I’ve used “set seat heaters to 3 bacon” or something to that effect too

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Unlocking for already built ones, or being built now?

I doubt they retroactively added wiper heaters to cars without the software for it. Is yours made in China?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Charles posted:

Somebody died in a a C6 or C7 cause they couldn't find the manual release

Edit: and a dog :(

As I recall, they were old with a health issue, and, you know, never read the owner's manual. Or apparently kept it in the car. Or owned a cell phone to call for help or look up the manual release.
That said, it is kind of stupid to access. It's behind your outside shoulder, in the hatch area. I'd have put a ripcord just to the rear of the seat base. That would make it difficult to access from outside, though, if you had to open the door with a dead battery.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I doubt they retroactively added wiper heaters to cars without the software for it. Is yours made in China?

Yes. And that's exactly what they did with steering wheel heat recently, delivered hardware before the software was ready.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good news for early adopters of the MachE (and F-150) still waiting on activation of the BlueCruise hands free driving feature.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Yes, this exists:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, this exists:

That is badass. :love:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, this exists:

God some people have life truly figured out.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Perfection.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am not cool enough to drive that but I love that it exists.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've said it in this thread before, but Ford needs to make an EV Thunderbird with styling cues taken from the 3rd Gen and plenty of chrome. Total retrofuture, space-age vibes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ola posted:

For the doors, silicon spray on the seals works for me. I would use that on framed doors as well, I've pulled the inner seal off with the door more than once. You need some moisture between the window and the seal for it to freeze, in practice that isn't too hard to avoid with pre-heating. But if I've been xc skiing and am sweaty, get in to a cold car and drive a short distance, I'm likely to leave some moisture behind which can cause freezing.

I do use silicon spray, and it helps but not always. The place I get freezing is the outer seal between the window and the door where it winds down into the door. Snow gathers there, melts from the warm car, some of it runs in between the seal and the window because the seal is imperfect or something idk. It then freezes and the window won't go down until I scrape it away with a credit card or other thin piece of plastic.

V V V I'll try cleaning it out and reapplying silicon spray, thanks!

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 29, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

I do use silicon spray, and it helps but not always. The place I get freezing is the outer seal between the window and the door where it winds down into the door. Snow gathers there, melts from the warm car, some of it runs in between the seal and the window because the seal is imperfect or something idk. It then freezes and the window won't go down until I scrape it away with a credit card or other thin piece of plastic.

Right, I put silicon there as well, but I can't be sure it helps that well because I haven't parked the car outside that much. I sprayed silicon on some paper, dragged it underneath that gasket with something credit card shaped (think it was a roadside rescue membership card, should work even if expired), noticed a bunch of dirt so did it a few times. Perhaps a few times made the difference?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So, I just charged up my 2020 leaf to 100% for the first time in a few months. We were expecting a blizzard so I figured I’d rather have it topped off just in case. From what I remember in temperate weather the range metric would top out at 230-240 miles or so. However true that is I can’t say. But now In The dead of winter in my garage the gauge reads 215 miles with heat off and 180 ish with heat on. I suppose this could be any number of variables including weather, battery temperature, degradation, driving habits, but I’m wondering what the consensus here would be? I’d hope it’s not battery degradation after say a year and change ownership but who knows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cause it's winter

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Charles posted:

Cause it's winter

:hmmwrong:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If it’s not because it’s winter it’s probably because you touch yourself.

My Mach-e range is currently projected to be 144 miles at 80% SoC due to winter and lots of 80 mph highway driving.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

bird with big dick posted:

If it’s not because it’s winter it’s probably because you touch yourself.

I’m going with winter because otherwise my range would be about 15 miles.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Battery degradation is a thing that happens no matter what you do, but trying to guess how much one has is a fools errand.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We just turned off estimated range on the Model 3, we only get percentage now. Miles wound up not being helpful here in the mountains, it was always way off since it was based on the last n miles driven.

The Bolt really hides battery percentage and it's annoying.

The LEAF shows miles but you can also show %.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, this exists:

thats just wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

cruft posted:

We just turned off estimated range on the Model 3, we only get percentage now. Miles wound up not being helpful here in the mountains, it was always way off since it was based on the last n miles driven.

The Bolt really hides battery percentage and it's annoying.

The LEAF shows miles but you can also show %.

I wish my Niro would show % in the instrument cluster. In order to see percentage I have to go into the 'EV' menu of the infotainment system.