Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Doronin posted:

One more show theory: I also don't believe for a second that Lyle Lisson's parents just "stepped aside." Maybe they let Lyle and his wife be the face of the church, but I'd bet near the end we find out they're just as much under their parents' thumbs as Jesse and co. (no pun intended... unless I accidentally stumbled on some convoluted metaphorical theme of this season).

I think they mentioned that the senior Lisson had a stroke or something

Chronicles fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mob posted:

A big part of it is how the Gemstones actually believe in Christianity, and not just doing it as part of a grift. Like in season 1 when Eli threw and broke that little Jesus statue and all the kids FREAKED out

this is part of the cooption of corporate entrepenurial language and mindset in american protestant christianity which can seem baffling and hypocritical to outsiders. these people truly believe in the power of Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, and they also think that Jesus Christ blesses the worthy with massive wealth and business deals. like, i have no doubt that Joel Osteen is a big time Jesus believer and a very personally upright christian, its just that his brand of sermonizing involves making a fuckload of money because of his enormous congregation

being a rich as gently caress christian isn't a new thing - the catholic church has been pulling this poo poo for centuries - but part of being a protestant in the united states used to be associated with austerity, poverty, and simplicity, since there was no overall church structure to concentrate wealth at the top. but then along comes mass media and televangelism and your average flash in the pan charismatic protestant preacher can now become rich as poo poo

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prosperity gospel is fascinating because it's so blatantly anti christian.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m currently liking the theory suggested upthread that the lissons are in the hole with organized crime and the zion’s landing scheme is contrived to help them pay down their debt, but the swerve can come from several directions so I’m in for the ride

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MizuZero posted:

I’m currently liking the theory suggested upthread that the lissons are in the hole with organized crime and the zion’s landing scheme is contrived to help them pay down their debt, but the swerve can come from several directions so I’m in for the ride

:agreed: on all counts

a hit squad seems like a pretty extreme step for run of the mill grift but if getting the money is literal life or death to them then that would help explain things

it also obviously plays into the conceit of Danny McBride's megachurch-as-mafia-show

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 29, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Waiting for the reveal that Martin is one of Eli's converted-to-christianity wrestling friends.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

If he is able to recognize that a real preacher should live a humble life, he is streets head of any other televangelist.

Yeah, that's sort of my point, Eli is one of the grifters but that doesn't mean that his faith isn't real at least some of the time.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah, that's sort of my point, Eli is one of the grifters but that doesn't mean that his faith isn't real at least some of the time.

That's not grifting though. Grifting implies a scam or scheme with some knowledge of wrongdoing. If Eli truly believes in god, jesus, the whole bit and that his work (while making him filthy rich) is truly gods calling for him and he's helping people then his conscious is clear.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

ChesterJT posted:

That's not grifting though. Grifting implies a scam or scheme with some knowledge of wrongdoing. If Eli truly believes in god, jesus, the whole bit and that his work (while making him filthy rich) is truly gods calling for him and he's helping people then his conscious is clear.

Eli loves God, but he loves being rich even more. Cognitive dissonance is a thing. People do things they know are wrong, but rationalize it away as they go through life and that's basically what Eli has done his entire life. He clearly felt some guilt from being a loan shark's enforcer, but he did that anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
one of my favorite acting moments on the show is the complex interplay of emotions across Eli's face when Junior is comparing the preacher act to a wrestling show. Eli knows that Junior is basically right but he believes Junior is wrong and he simultaneously can neither agree nor argue with Junior's point because either way he would be betraying some fundamental part of himself and he has too much integrity to do so lightly.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

Eli loves God, but he loves being rich even more. Cognitive dissonance is a thing. People do things they know are wrong, but rationalize it away as they go through life and that's basically what Eli has done his entire life. He clearly felt some guilt from being a loan shark's enforcer, but he did that anyway.

Pure speculation. Besides, to the point you tried to make, he's not actually doing anything wrong that we know of in the present. He did bad things as a kid, but at some point he found religion and is the man we see in the show. We don't have his full back story yet so until we do we can't claim to know. The reason Eli works as the head of the family is that he appears to be Righteous™. His kids are alternatively sycophants and hateful spoiled brats. That's the contrast and that's why the show works. The point we've been making is that if they turn Eli into a grifting greedy false-christian stereotype then the show loses something because of it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The prayer in the restaurant and the way he handles BJ’s family shows that he is charming and sincere at points. But without Amy, his id is coming out more and more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChesterJT posted:

Pure speculation. Besides, to the point you tried to make, he's not actually doing anything wrong that we know of in the present. He did bad things as a kid, but at some point he found religion and is the man we see in the show. We don't have his full back story yet so until we do we can't claim to know. The reason Eli works as the head of the family is that he appears to be Righteous™. His kids are alternatively sycophants and hateful spoiled brats. That's the contrast and that's why the show works. The point we've been making is that if they turn Eli into a grifting greedy false-christian stereotype then the show loses something because of it.

you're right, I'm sure the only reason Eli has repeatedly been indicted for financial crimes is anti-Christian bias

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

the holy poopacy posted:

one of my favorite acting moments on the show is the complex interplay of emotions across Eli's face when Junior is comparing the preacher act to a wrestling show. Eli knows that Junior is basically right but he believes Junior is wrong and he simultaneously can neither agree nor argue with Junior's point because either way he would be betraying some fundamental part of himself and he has too much integrity to do so lightly.

Eli reconnecting with Junior and his conflicted emotions about it are legitimately some of the best acting in the series. Like, obviously everyone else rules hard but John Goodman is... John Goodman. He's the best. McBride, Patterson, Devine, Baltz and Goggins are much showier roles, but I'm glad they've let Goodman put in some work.

Skyler Gisondo is also generally very good, but he hasn't had much to do this season.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Waiting for the reveal that Martin is one of Eli's converted-to-christianity wrestling friends.

I agree with this, Martin is very high profile and ride-or-die for someone we know almost nothing about.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of Osteen:

https://twitter.com/GJMcClintock/status/1435116227114901507?t=DLxALwCZk4B9T2wfSGFIOQ&s=19

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvHIUdPee8

christianity itself isn't going to ever be the butt of the joke on the show, which is to its credit and why the show works. the whole first season is basically a big parable. honestly you could look at it as one of the best works of mainstream Christian media ever

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I do really want to know more about Martin. like where did this dude come from, how did he get so tight with Eli. he's such a pivotal figure and we know nothing about him, it's very intriguing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doronin posted:

If I had to guess, I think Danny McBride and/or John Goodman must have been as intrigued by the legend of Reverend Jimmy Swaggart as I was growing up. The guy was cousins with Jerry Lee "The Killer" Lewis, and allegedly bragged to people, and I'm paraphrasing, "I've made 10 times more than my cousin ever made and never paid a dime of taxes on it." Every choice that's made with the Eli character is very similar to Swaggart and his TV ministries of the 70s and 80s.

It didn't really dawn on me how similar the comparison was until Eli's kids kept giving him poo poo about "chasing skirts" and referencing prostitutes, because that's ultimately what caused Swaggart's real-life downfall.

They're definitely taking inspiration from the Bakkers seeing as they were the big husband and wife team and had a Christian theme park.

ChesterJT posted:

It looks like tomorrow's episode is going to dig into the change over from regular congregation to Mega-Church. So that will probably answer some questions.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

you're right, I'm sure the only reason Eli has repeatedly been indicted for financial crimes is anti-Christian bias

I must have missed that, what episode did that come up?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

I must have missed that, what episode did that come up?

There was a shot in I think the first episode this season where the reporter was looking at old news articles with headlines like "Eli Gemstone Indicted".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also, in the first season the flyers that Johnny Seasons puts on the cars in the parking lot have a rundown of Gemstone scandals that has that and a few others

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
There was also how Eli decided to open the church in the mall for the sole purpose of taking all the church goers from their previous churches. Praise be to he

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
And also the way that his church is part of a crass shopping center where you can buy a little salvation along with a cinnabon and a latte while shopping for pants. They even point out in the show that this is commercializing their faith.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right, but the show is better for Eli doing that poo poo from the perspective of "this is copacetic with God and my ministry promotes Him well" rather than "gently caress sheeple get paid"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

see, i dont doubt that we wont meet someone that says or thinks such a thing outright. it may not be eli, but it will be overtly stated at some point. the only thing that i think the show will always respect and never touch is the actual people going to the churches and forming congregations, because the show isnt actually about belief, just the power structures and the humans building and enforcing the power structures that spring up around belief.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

just started the ep so i'm a bit behind but jeez the kid they got to play kelvin is adorable

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh eli's dad...that's heart breaking

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

just started the ep so i'm a bit behind but jeez the kid they got to play kelvin is adorable

Too bad about the haircut

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
And here I thought last weeks episode was the best episode this season.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Goddamn, was this an episode for John Goodman to show off. Those facial expressions at the end of the flashback period when his dad forgot who he was after telling him he was a good man? The delight in seeing the kids open up their presents? If he doesn't get awards nods for it I'm gonna be so salty on his behalf.

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
drat.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What a good episode

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baby billy is such an amazing piece of poo poo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe dont let dad have that particular toy or make sure it doesn't have power

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Too bad about the haircut

That reaction shot was amazing

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I forgot that Misbehavin had a line about telling your dad not to run away.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are we to believe that someone delivered a full load of concrete to a job site on Christmas night and just walked away in case someone happened to need some concrete? Immersion ruined.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

withak posted:

Are we to believe that someone delivered a full load of concrete to a job site on Christmas night and just walked away in case someone happened to need some concrete? Immersion ruined.

Lazy contractors left that December 20 and came back for the new year because the gemstones pay net 60.

What’s interesting, watching back is you can tell the park was rehabilitated to be cooler… But not really. There are modern versions of all the gemstone kids and that’s most of it. The rest seems very 1994.

And we’ve never seen/heard it actually open over the course of the series. (It’s possibly they just don’t write it because roller coasters require tons and tons of extras which is hard to shoot during Covid, but I imagine the gemstones don’t make a lot of money off it anymore. Or the entire show is taking place in the off-season?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I dunno, it immersed Glendon pretty well