Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He's right you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
He’s shilled crypto and gacha games before, so he’s not got great form.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He shilled crypto the same week he did a video about how crypto was threatening PC gaming.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah i had to unsubscribe ltt's response to the gpu drought and techtuber viewership decline was to make a bunch of videos on how to mine better and whatnot

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Changing the channel during a commercial break is literally stealing from the TV station. You're pirating the show by watching it.

Visit LTTstore.com to learn more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They had their WAN show a couple of hours ago, and judging by the title and the two minutes I looked into it, he's whining about that twitter thread/convo. I should watch that later, for the mental gymnastics.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npu7jkJk5nM

LOL he broke his storage yet again!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is he still doing a software RAID 0 of RAID 5s or whatever it was that blew up before?

Edit: The time for them to have a backup generator was a long time ago.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 29, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I tried elucidating some of the more glaring issues over in the digital packrats thread.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Only about 2 minutes in, but he's talking about how he's got all these tech savvy people so doesn't need tech support.

It just infuriates me, the Dunning Kruger arrogance of it.

Like I just do not understand the thinking behind not hiring an expert for a couple of hours to essentially QA check it, you can still do the video and then quietly get someone in in the background to catch all the poo poo you missed if you want, or make it a video with an expert because I'm sure a huge chunk of his viewer base would like to see an expert in action, and maybe even gain a few more from people who do know watching Linus get schooled.

Ok so it's not mission critical data, but I hope to hell he's getting some experts in to check that mission critical production server setup, backups etc cause I'll bet money it's also got some dumb poo poo setup on it as well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't watch ltt and i encourage you to join me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think Linus knows that having one of his storage servers blows up is good content anyway. This is like the 3rd time this has happened?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Remember the tape drive Linus hyped in 2018 for backing up data? I guess they never actually used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxqpbSZorA

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it was funny how he described the core problem of there being no one accountable in their organizational structure for this probably critical feature?

because like, nope I found who's fault it was lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

Remember the tape drive Linus hyped in 2018 for backing up data? I guess they never actually used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxqpbSZorA
That's a big :laffo:
Especially because an actual tape library with a robot is the one way to handle data in these orders of magnitude, not to offload it to the :yaybutt:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Reject cloud. Embrace tape.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lmao. that linus vid does infact point out many great things about tapes and LTO 8 does rock and is keeping up with the times. Then I guess proceeds to ignore all his own advice.

The one place it falls apart is their software stack sucks. if your gonna spend 5 grand on the hardware. go ahead and spend another couple of k on the lame ol’ enterprise tape backup software.

At work we deal with tapes by the thousands and its all automated and the only tedious part about it is some chump has to swap hundreds of tapes into the robot every week. Other than that it has worked uninterrupted for over a decade with minor upgrades as new LTO standards come out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tape and tape libraries are one of those things that are like fax - if you're paying someone for eFax services when fax is supported by every modern OS for at least a decade, there's probably other people who'd like to take you to the cleaners.
BareOS is better than whatever enterprise tape backup software you can buy, and it's free.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

At this point LTT would have been better off buying a few M-DISC burners and 100GB media to back up data rather than dozens of cheap unreliable Seagate hard drives.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tape and tape libraries are one of those things that are like fax - if you're paying someone for eFax services when fax is supported by every modern OS for at least a decade, there's probably other people who'd like to take you to the cleaners.
BareOS is better than whatever enterprise tape backup software you can buy, and it's free.

P. sure they got every drive for free. Not a bad value imo especially for non critical data.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If Linus paid someone to do this poo poo for him, he'd have less money because he paid them and less money because he wouldn't get to make this video. I don't feel like that's hard to understand.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

K8.0 posted:

If Linus paid someone to do this poo poo for him, he'd have less money because he paid them and less money because he wouldn't get to make this video. I don't feel like that's hard to understand.

If Linus picked up the phone and called dell or hpe, they would have shipped and configured one of their big storages for free. It's hubris.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
not related to the topic du jour, but I thought it was very indicative of Linus being in tune with internet culture that he had his feet pixelated when he took off his socks on camera

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

not related to the topic du jour, but I thought it was very indicative of Linus being in tune with internet culture that he had his feet pixelated when he took off his socks on camera

Steve1989MREInfo would have been embarrassed at all the good food he hosed up though. Only a year out of date? Practically fresh!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SlowBloke posted:

If Linus picked up the phone and called dell or hpe, they would have shipped and configured one of their big storages for free. It's hubris.

Of course they would. Maybe they'd even comp him the help getting set up properly. But what gets him more views/revenue - one boring-rear end video about a server they got for free, or regularly recurring stream of "IT'S ALL hosed AND WE'RE GOING TO DIE" videos?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Or maybe it's just entertainment and we have fun learning things along the way!

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Dumbassery is just good business when it comes to media. Linus does really well on it. It's no coincidence that Jayz2RacistTweets got a lot more successful when he started doing "10 things we should never do with computers, #4 will shock you!" Videos instead of meticulously building water cooled systems. The most successful podcast in recent years is hosted by one of the largest buffoons in podcasting. The average person just loves this poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles posted:

Or maybe it's just entertainment and we have fun learning things along the way!
There's nothing to learn, though - and it's not entertaining when it's the same joke over and over again.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 1, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

buffbus posted:

Jayz2RacistTweets

Wait what

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/907243204407312384?s=21

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^Edit: ahahaha lol he seriously used the "I got called a cracker" line, what a moron

When BLM popped off there was a protest in his neighborhood, his tweet on the subject was that he owned guns and was ready to use them on any rioters that invaded his home. The dude lives in some average suburbia and was getting antsy over a 100% peaceful march.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 1, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

When BLM popped off there was a protest in his neighborhood, his tweet on the subject was that he owned guns and was ready to use them on any rioters that invaded his home. The dude lives in some average suburbia and was getting antsy over a 100% peaceful march.

He also deflected from such accusations by citing that his cameraman was Asian

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Fuuuu I actually like his videos for the most part :-/ Whelp time to drop him off of subscribed!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I especially like the videos where he complains about his viewers not liking what he's posting.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EngineerJoe posted:

I especially like the videos where he complains about his viewers not liking what he's posting.

Yeah he is way too thin skinned for YouTube. It's hilarious how obvious it is he read every drat comment on his videos.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
its up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnXsmXzphI

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I don’t think i saw steve this angry in a while, also lol at customer protection law in the us being such a joke

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I don’t think i saw steve this angry in a while, also lol at customer protection law in the us being such a joke

Honestly I know Steve really loves the data side of what he does, but if he made his primary thing just going around collecting the heads of lovely companies that would still put him head and shoulders above everyone else out there.

He's already got a pretty large collection at this point.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I was wondering when this would appear. They filmed it on January 6th but must have waited to get all of Newegg's excuses responses out of the way before finishing the video.

I had Newegg send me a used, open, dead video card once. I ordered a new card, not open box or anything, and it shipped from Newegg itself, not a third party. I don't know how they screwed that up. It must have been a return from another customer and Newegg put it back in the rotation with new stock without even looking at it. Luckily they took my RMA but the turn around time to get a replacement was still two or three weeks. I've had other parts where the item box was half crushed like someone in the warehouse stepped on it and said screw it and shipped it anyway. I'd rather buy what components I can from Amazon or B&H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jay’s old sidekick went by “coconutmonkey”. Do with this what you will.