Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I made all the lore skills people get from backgrounds and such gain automatic skills increases like the ones from the Additional Lore feat do. I wanted to encourage more Lore usage and that seemed to do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I have two games of PF2e going, both in homebrew worlds, and I am a player in one and a GM in the other.

In both, we use the Free Archetype variant rule. In the game where I am the GM, I waive the requirement of taking two additional archetype feats before selecting a new archetype, but the players have to justify to me how their PC has been training in-game in a way that would open a new archetype to them before taking it. Occasionally I'll allow players to immediately retrain into a new archetype in extraordinary circumstances — for example, when my cleric got a blessing from an angel of their deity, I allowed them to immediately retrain into the Blessed One archetype.

In the campaign where I am a player, we use accelerated downtime activities (especially crafting and retraining), due to in-game time pressure leading to a lack of downtime.

In the campaign where I am the GM, we are coming up on an end to a "chapter" of the story, and for the next chapter I will ask my players how they feel about switching to the Moral Intentions variant rule, since I think it fits better with the setting and characters than the traditional alignment system.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

For alignment-related houserules, I've had some amount of success with reworking abilities like Smite Evil to broaden their scope. For instance, a Champion's conceptual gimmick is that they're paragons of a particular alignment. If they take Smite Evil, then I let it deal both Good and Lawful damage. This makes the feat less situational, letting the player do their cool thing more often. This was especially handy when I had a player who wanted to be a Tyrant (LE) in a game where the enemies were generally Evil, because they got to use their feat to smite Chaotic things instead of having something completely useless on their sheet.

(This would have been problematic balance-wise if there was also a NG champion who would not have benefited from this at all but it didn't come up.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think just letting those abilities work without aligment restrictions and making alignment damage work vs. anything would really unbalance things

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I have a couple houserules, not counting Free Archetype which I also use.

Dying and Ongoing Damage - usually a very deadly combination that can lead to dead PCs very fast. I dislike this and changed it so that ongoing damage doesn't "tick" when a PC is down; instead, recovery checks are +1 for every ongoing damaging effect on the PC.

Thrown Weapon Damage - I have a Thief Rogue, who gets to add DEX instead of STR to finesse melee weapons. Thrown weapons don't count as melee weapons once thrown, so RAW don't get the dex damage bonus. I ruled that they do. He has a build featuring throwing cards, and they felt very underpowered otherwise.

Taking a breather - with sufficient time after a fight, my players can elect to have a roleplay moment - talking about what just happened, about their past, having an argument, whatever - to regain their strength and replenish all HP without rolling for it. This is just because my rogue player was getting very bored of all the medicine checks he had to roll, and the game expects you to be at or near health every encounter anyway. This is at my discretion, so I will usually tell my players if they have time for this or if they're on the clock.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Luebbi posted:

Taking a breather - with sufficient time after a fight, my players can elect to have a roleplay moment - talking about what just happened, about their past, having an argument, whatever - to regain their strength and replenish all HP without rolling for it. This is just because my rogue player was getting very bored of all the medicine checks he had to roll, and the game expects you to be at or near health every encounter anyway. This is at my discretion, so I will usually tell my players if they have time for this or if they're on the clock.

Unless there's a specific reason the party needs to hurry the gently caress up I usually just handwave the healing process if they have a source of endless healing in a reasonable timeframe

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Luebbi posted:

Thrown Weapon Damage - I have a Thief Rogue, who gets to add DEX instead of STR to finesse melee weapons. Thrown weapons don't count as melee weapons once thrown, so RAW don't get the dex damage bonus. I ruled that they do. He has a build featuring throwing cards, and they felt very underpowered otherwise.

The balance is in how much safer it is to play as ranged. I guess I don't know why it's fair for strength to get it. Transitional property of melee!

Not rolling for all the heals is a great rule. I like pathfinder but we do have a hard time with long turns and not getting as much roleplay time in.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 2, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was thinking of running a 2e adventure path with three players. None of us have experience with 2e but we all have played a fair bit of other systems. Is there a preferred method of balancing things for three people with no system mastery? I'm not convinced free archetypes are the way to go, since that'll mean even more information overload.

Are there any pitfalls in party composition a party of three needs to try to avoid?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was thinking of running a 2e adventure path with three players. None of us have experience with 2e but we all have played a fair bit of other systems. Is there a preferred method of balancing things for three people with no system mastery? I'm not convinced free archetypes are the way to go, since that'll mean even more information overload.

Are there any pitfalls in party composition a party of three needs to try to avoid?

If you do the Beginner Box into Troubles in Otari into Abomination Vaults you'll be a bit overlevelled, which helps with the balance issues and is also the recommended onramp for new players to 2e!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

KPC_Mammon posted:

The encounter balance charts are really good in 2e and should guide you well assuming you don't mess up any big rules otherwise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Someone should be trained in Medicine and spend at least some of their skill feats adding to it, because it's the bread-and-butter of between-fight healing.

Also, someone should have the Detect Magic cantrip, either from being any spell casting class, an ancestry, the Arcane Sense skill feat, or some other method.

If you have both of these things covered, you'll be pretty ok with any 3 builds.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

KPC_Mammon posted:

The big thing you want to make sure your party has is a source of between-encounter healing. It is generally expected that players will be able to take a breather every once in a while to "refocus" to get their focus points (encounter powers) back, and part of that expectation is that someone is going to have ranks in Medicine or a good focus spell and can heal people during that break.

Apart from that, go nuts.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd like to double check something Google hasn't been helpful with:

If a hero is dropped by an attack they gain the dying 1 condition. If they are healed they lose the dying 1 condition and gain the wounded 1 condition.

The hero is then knocked out by an attack that deals persistent damage. They gain the dying 2 condition due to the wounded 1 condition.

On their next turn let's say they succeed on their stabilize check and improve to dying 1.

Persistent damage kicks in, but because they are wounded 1 do they become two steps worse, not just one step, and are now dying 3? At this point if they fail the DC 15 flat check to remove persistent damage their odds of surviving another round are nonexistent, right?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Unless I've missed something, the wounded condition doesn't do anything while you have the dying condition, or when your dying condition is increased. It only does anything when you gain the dying condition, which cannot happen if you already have it.

Dying: CRB pg. 619 posted:

Your dying condition increases by 1 if you take damage while dying, or by 2 if you take damage from an enemy’s critical hit or a critical failure on your save.

Wounded: CRB pg. 623 posted:

If you gain the dying condition while wounded, increase your dying condition value by your wounded value.

Your wounded condition should pretty much always be equal to the number of times that you have lost the dying condition, and it pretty much exclusively makes you start the dying state 1 point deeper each time you go from 1 or more HP to 0 HP. If the increase to your dying condition by the wounded condition triggered by increases and not just gains, it would technically trigger itself in a recursive loop and immediately drive you up to dying ∞.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 24, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

Unless I've missed something, the wounded condition doesn't do anything while you have the dying condition, or when your dying condition is increased. It only does anything when you gain the dying condition, which cannot happen if you already have it.

Your wounded condition should pretty much always be equal to the number of times that you have lost the dying condition, and it pretty much exclusively makes you start the dying state 1 point deeper each time you go from 1 or more HP to 0 HP. If the increase to your dying condition by the wounded condition triggered by increases and not just gains, it would technically trigger itself in a recursive loop and immediately drive you up to dying ∞.

I think that is how I'll run it. I'm reading over the rules for the first time and seeing https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=374 on page 459 was a bit confusing. It has a callout to remember something that the wounded condition doesn't actually reference!

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, yeah, that is terribly written:

Taking Damage while Dying: CRB pg. 459 posted:

If you take damage while you already have the dying condition, increase your dying condition value by 1, or by 2 if the damage came from an attacker’s critical hit or your own critical failure. If you have the wounded condition, remember to add the value of your wounded condition to your dying value.

I can totally see how that could confuse you, that's a terrible place to put that bit of reminder text.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a way to get the grab trait onto a Lizardfolks razor claw attack? He'll have handwraps of mighty blows, but I can't find any runes that would add grab.

e: nm, took wrestler free archetype and snagged the combat grab feat

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a way to get the grab trait onto a Lizardfolks razor claw attack? He'll have handwraps of mighty blows, but I can't find any runes that would add grab.

e: nm, took wrestler free archetype and snagged the combat grab feat

Furious Grab is a level 12 Barb feat that basically does that, but no, in general, they don't hand out player-facing feats to completely negate die rolls and impose strong debuffs like that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also the grapple weapon trait just lets you grapple with a weapon despite not having a free hand and lets you use weapon’s item bonus to attack rolls as an item bonus to the Athletics check, it does not do anything else

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Furious Grab is a level 12 Barb feat that basically does that, but no, in general, they don't hand out player-facing feats to completely negate die rolls and impose strong debuffs like that.

I think they meant the Grapple trait, as there is no "Grab" trait, that's just an action. The Grapple trait doesn't give you Combat Grab's auto-grab on hit, it just lets you use the weapon's reach and item bonus to attack rolls on Grab attempts. Also you can totally get that on your unarmed attacks, you just have to go Monk for it and get either the Gorilla Slam or Shadow Grasp unarmed attacks, which would overwrite the lizardfolk claws so they don't really play well with each other.

Combat Grab is absolutely the way to go, it's just a straight upgrade to every Strike beyond the first each turn.

E: F, b.

I'm actually really disappointed with natural weapons (or rather, "unarmed attacks" from ancestries) in PF2. There's never enough feats to actually make them good weapons, and there's no extra benefit to having them like the free attacks per natural weapon in PF1. Normal wielded weapons are almost always better outside of meeting free-hand requirements for grabbing people or using tools, and Monks get their own set of unarmed attacks they can pick up with feats that are strict upgrades to anything you could get from an ancestry. Even the feats that require multiple different weapons like Double Slice specifically call out wielded weapons only, so being the guy with claws AND teeth is kind of meaningless beyond choosing a different damage type.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 26, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Combat grab is definitely sick though

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

We are playing our first game of Pathfinder 2e this Sunday using Foundry. Starting with the beginners box scenario with a limit to core character options.

The first two encounters look trivial and the boss at the end is terrifying. I assume it does a good job scaling up the challenge?

Players have picked a redeemer, universalist wizard, monk, and bomber alchemist. I'm not happy about half the players taking two penalties to stats for a single bonus but that ship has sailed. Attempting that degree of character optimization before even trying the game seems pointless and dumping wisdom or intelligence to 8 seems bad to me. Oh well. I've told everyone that character builds aren't set in stone during the tutorial so it shouldn't matter too much either way.

I'm looking forward to the game and spending some of the intervening time reading the rules again. Is there any rules people often miss? Any foundry modules people absolutely love?

Edit: I don't expect anyone to be interested in the +1 short sword. Do players need the craft magical items feat and to be level 3 to transfer +1 runes or should they just pay an NPC 35 silver to transfer it to something more useful?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 28, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The beginner's box is overall not very hard (though the trap can be super deadly), but yeah, the end boss can be pretty hard. Scales up pretty well, though I'd advise taking the note where the miniboss spreads out their magic missles.

You shouldn't need Magical Crafting or to be a certain level to transfer the rune.

For now, I think you'll probably be fine just following the Beginner's Box, but you may want to read up on Exploration Activities if people want to do those.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Remember that players level up before the final boss - at level 1, it'll be a wipe most likely. Also, don't abuse his big AOE attacks.

If no player uses a shortsword, maybe just change it to something the players will use - I wouldn't go through all the hassle of transfering runes in a oneshot. just have it be a longsword or something. instead if that's more to your player's skills.

As for foundry modules, Token Action HUD I consider a must-have, makes playing faster and easier for both DM and players. Also pings, so you can hold-left click to draw attention to a part of the map.

Good luck, and have fun!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just leveled them up after they cleared the first level of the dungeon.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 29, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Literally everyone is singing the praise of foundry vtt. How is it compared to roll20?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jarvisi posted:

Literally everyone is singing the praise of foundry vtt. How is it compared to roll20?

Much better, chiefly because there's a module you can add to do pretty much anything you want to do

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

It depends on the system. For PF2 it's definitely the superior VTT.

The software itself is pretty good and all the modules are nice, but the actual selling feature is this - there is a team of volunteers that took the effort to implement every single monster, feat, spell and item in the free SRD (so all of them) into a single database. The Roll20 equivalent of this costs money and only has a fraction of the Foundry content, because Paizo more or less abandoned Roll20.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Keep in mind Foundry will cost someone in your group $50 USD, but only one license is required to run the server everyone plays on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And probably ~$5 to rent a server. But you're probably paying that to Roll20 if you GM, anyway.

And every major book (core, bestiary, etc) costs $50 on Roll20.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 29, 2022

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I'm in a foundry run game now (thanks omicron) and I like it. Feels a little clunky, but I guess that's down to its "web-based" setup. Never used roll20 so can't compare.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If I have the technical knowhow, pretty beefy desktop, and solid fiber internet connection, I really shouldn't have a problem self hosting my foundry sessions, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

couldcareless posted:

If I have the technical knowhow, pretty beefy desktop, and solid fiber internet connection, I really shouldn't have a problem self hosting my foundry sessions, right?

You absolutely can, but if you have the stated technical knowjow, you also can weigh the risks of having the foundry server open and actively listening on the internet and take the appropriate security precautions.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

I've hosted a foundry session on a dying PC on poo poo comcast internet. You should be fine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can host it yourself, sure. It's more of a "your players might want to be able to log on and fiddle with their characters when you're not there" thing.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Foundry is amazing, self hosting works fine, runs better for my players on poo poo chromebooks aswell.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

I host Foundry (the node/dedicated server version) on a Raspberry Pi 4 in my home. I've got ~10 Mbps upload and have had no complaints from the other players. They've not even not noticed a difference when I've temporarily moved it to a cloud server in AWS or Azure.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The PF2e system in Foundry is really great. I host 3 different campaigns plus PFS games on it. Couple that with the PDF importer which makes scenes/maps/walls/creates and places tokens for official content and it's downright incredible. Foundry is not too hard to host for free (or depending on your backup strategy, a couple of bucks a month - either way much cheaper than AWS) on Oracle cloud.

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Speaking of VTTs... My Runelords game will be ending this month (I added content so my players would get to 20 by the time they reached Karzoug, so I am using a souped up version of him that will almost certainly wreck my players) and since there's not much else on Roll 20 my players can jump to next I am considering two options -

1. Foundry. There's no good importer for PDFs for 1E so I think I'll have to do a lot of it manually (bleh). But I can host it myself (probably?) and another player already bought a license, though she is the only one familiar with the system.

2. Fantasy Grounds. Has a shitload of content for PF including most of the adventure paths already set. More expensive and we'd have to learn a new system but I believe a great deal less work to set up.

Anyone have any experience with these two for PF1e? I already floated switching to 2E but reactions were... unenthusiastic.

e- added spoiler tags since I dunno if everyone here is a GM or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Question. When using arcane cascade as a magus, it says that the attack uses the magical trait. Does this mean that the attack goes through damage resistance slashing or not?