Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The no Fire 4 rotation was never optimal, it was a surprisingly effective joke rotation. Use of Transpose can still be a potency per second gain under certain specific conditions but that's very high level optimization and loving it up will be a way bigger damage loss than just doing the normal rotation well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:negative:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the ONE PULL i die, naturally

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Have fun in part 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
a 1 still means you did enough damage that you didn't cause an enrage wipe

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Have fun in part 2.

got to act 3 before we ran out of time. act 2 is some nonsense in unclarity but we got it mostly sorted out. i feel the rest should go smoothly. hoping for a clear next week, maybe.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

got to act 3 before we ran out of time. act 2 is some nonsense in unclarity but we got it mostly sorted out. i feel the rest should go smoothly. hoping for a clear next week, maybe.

Act 2 is pretty easy once you memorise what you have to do, unless youre a Fire DPS in which cause it's a bit trickier. Tanks have it super easy.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's done:

https://i.imgur.com/rQHQy5C.gifv

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vargs posted:

Unfortunately it is now going to be impossible to give a poo poo about GW2 or WoW ever again.

For real, I used to like GW2.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Act 2 is pretty easy once you memorise what you have to do, unless youre a Fire DPS in which cause it's a bit trickier. Tanks have it super easy.

yea we were running into some dumb confusion about everyone going to the right places, but just not quickly enough, so it looked like things resolved correctly but was still killing us. that walled a handful of pulls. we've more or less got it down now. or at least i do because tank is braindead lol.

kinda disappointed there's no new music for part 2. i already knew there wasn't, but it was still lame to finally cross the finish line of part 1 and just keep going with the same song uninterrupted.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ibblebibble posted:

The secret here is you mark the DPS 1 through 4 and the higher number in the fire pair goes counterclockwise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Congrats! I’m probably gonna finish today, just got a couple levels on one Trust to go.

Also I didn’t know you could have title change macros that rules

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Harrow posted:

Congrats! I’m probably gonna finish today, just got a couple levels on one Trust to go.

The /title command can be used in macros (or even in the text box) to change your title.

I use title change macros with my job buttons. For example, the one I have for Summoner right now:

code:
/micon "Summoner" classjob
/gearset change 5 
/title set "The Avatar"
Switches my job to SMN and changes my title to <The Avatar>

Fun fact: just entering /title with no associated title subcommand just sets your title to something random, like a title roulette.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, I might have to pick out a bunch of titles then since I'm using a fancy macro bar for job switching.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Finally! Totally worth it though, honestly I've ignored beast tribe quests until this expansion and it turns out I love them, the stories are usually pretty fun.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Namazu quests are the best. Love those little idiots.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My favorite things about them is how Cirina wants to eat them

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

My favorite things about them is how Cirina wants to eat them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YlTeJ2BLI4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

theironjef posted:

Finally! Totally worth it though, honestly I've ignored beast tribe quests until this expansion and it turns out I love them, the stories are usually pretty fun.

Yes yes.

Rap Game Goku posted:

The Namazu quests are the best. Love those little idiots.

yes yes

yes yes

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Harrow posted:

I uh, didn't know you could either lol. I just spliced two clips together with video editing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Insert name here posted:

I uh, didn't know you could either lol. I just spliced two clips together with video editing.

Hahaha, well that rules even more

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

his whiskers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theironjef posted:

I started leveling crafters/gatherers thinking "I'm going to make some gil," but ended up just fully leveling them for the job/beast tribe stories (and have absolutely lost gil overall). Still worth it, though.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think you summarized every mmo job ever.

Well, limited to tab-targeting MMOs. Though even with tab-targeting you can incorporate stuff like more meaningful pets or affects like slows/stuns/interrupts/stealth (that technically exist but aren't actually a part of combat outside of low-level dungeon trash mobs).

This isn't a judgement, though; I prefer the way FF14 does things to any other MMO and think its design is likely necessary for its style of gameplay (which emphasizes balance between jobs and "complex but fair" mechanics - if you add a greater variety of player abilities that aren't just "higher/lower numbers" it becomes far harder to balance and would likely not be compatible with FF14's encounter design).

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I started leveling crafters/gatherers thinking "I'm going to make some gil," but ended up just fully leveling them for the job/beast tribe stories (and have absolutely lost gil overall). Still worth it, though.

Well, limited to tab-targeting MMOs. Though even with tab-targeting you can incorporate stuff like more meaningful pets or affects like slows/stuns/interrupts/stealth (that technically exist but aren't actually a part of combat outside of low-level dungeon trash mobs).

This isn't a judgement, though; I prefer the way FF14 does things to any other MMO and think its design is likely necessary for its style of gameplay (which emphasizes balance between jobs and "complex but fair" mechanics - if you add a greater variety of player abilities that aren't just "higher/lower numbers" it becomes far harder to balance and would likely not be compatible with FF14's encounter design).

I think there's a significant difference between classes that execute a fixed rotation and classes that execute based on procs. It shows up a lot more in other MMOs, but FFXIV still has DNC and to a lesser extent BRD. The gap between melee and ranged DPS is also significant, as is any hybrid role. RDM vs. BLM, NIN vs. the rest of the mDPS. Positionals matter as well, though I'm willing to ignore them because (a) they suck and (b) they've moved away from that.

Basically, I think you accurately identified cast times as one of the primary things that makes them distinct, but you left out a lot of other components that create a difference between beating up a target dummy and a real fight.

admanb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 29, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I miss positionals

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
My short review of all DoH job quests:

ARR for everything except WVR/GSM: mediocre but tolerable. WVR and GSM were good.
HW: awful. too many steps, too much running around, even if the stories and characters were more interesting I dreaded these.
StB: pretty good! ALC, WVR, GSM, CUL probably my favorites? i feel like these fold better stories with less hassle than HW.

kitten emergency fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 29, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I miss positionals

play drg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah the ShB tribes were great and I have high hopes for EW

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Probably a dumb take on my part, but I feel a bit let down that Cross Reaping and Void Reaping when enshrouded don't have any positionals. I think making Lemure's slice a back positional and void/cross sides would be a decent compromise.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:toot:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Took me nearly two hours to get to the top of that building in Kugane. When I got up there, a person was waiting for me, just sitting there, watching the sunset, and they gave me explicit instructions on how to land on the lampost for the sightseeing entry - which I landed first try, thanks to their help.

There is goodness in the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dragoon barely has positionals these days compared to what it used to be. In HW they had a random positional every 4-5 gcds.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

dragoon barely has positionals these days compared to what it used to be. In HW they had a random positional every 4-5 gcds.

I am aware of the history of drg

it actually has more positionals now than it did in hw, though without the random aspect. 5 every 10 gcds (chaotic spring, wheeling thrust x2, fang and claw x2), as opposed to HW's 4 (heavy thrust, chaotic thrust, ranom positional x2). With monk's rework, drg has the highest density of positionals in the game, with a full 50% of its attacks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I tried Dragoon during SB and I didn't like it but now that my boy Monk no longer has me awkwardly dancing behind dudes trying to keep on top of which positional everything is I might need to give it another shot.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It actually always seemed wrong to me that Monk, rather than Dragoon, was the most positional-heavy class, since pugilists/monks would presumably be more used to toe-to-toe, face-to-face dueling with an enemy that will naturally turn to face them, while dragoons are specialized in asymmetrical fights against big monsters with location-based weaknesses and blind spots.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You're right.

I can't recall and couldn't find anything googling, but I seem to recall that impulse drive in 2.0 also required that you be at the rear to start the combo and get the 180 potency.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're right.

I can't recall and couldn't find anything googling, but I seem to recall that impulse drive in 2.0 also required that you be at the rear to start the combo and get the 180 potency.

yeah that was changed in 2.41 I think. At that time, chaos thrust wasn't a positional--it gained the position when impulse drive lost it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nah I loved the vibes with Monk. It was like "makes sense the fisticuffs class would be all about footwork and going in and out with all your moves" and like that's not really what it was it was more hitting the sides and behind but I felt it flowed well into the class's identity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're right.

They also had Heavy Thrust, which was flank, and gave them their attack buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ARR drg had a really hosed up GCD order, which was the primary interesting point of the class. It was actually pretty light on poisitionals, though if you missed the impulse drive rear hit then it didn't proc the combo which was extremely hosed

If I did my math right, 5/24 (about 20%) of the drg attacks in ARR were positionals. Then a clean 40% in HW, and 50% in SB, ShB, and EW