Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks for the heads up.

I was really wanting to play those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Just picked up this game, and I thought the console version was a lazy PC port, but supposedly the PC controls are even worse? Using a pointer for everything has been an awful experience, though nowhere quite as bad as the galaxy map.

Anyway, that's my trip report. Carry on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronash posted:

Just picked up this game, and I thought the console version was a lazy PC port, but supposedly the PC controls are even worse? Using a pointer for everything has been an awful experience, though nowhere quite as bad as the galaxy map.

Also half of the buttons you have to hold to activate, half you just have to tap.

These complaints were made on day 1 of the game, nearly 65 years ago.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The only time I switch to mouse and keyboard is for combat because I'm terrible at aiming with thumbsticks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Baronash posted:

the original game was a playstation exclusive iirc, or at least "largely funded by sony"

the galaxy map sucks rear end but like the flight model I'm spoiled by elite dangerous in that regard

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea it wasn't actually an exclusive just heavily marketed by Sony

the flight model used to be much, much worse. imo it's not terrible now but then im mostly just comparing it with how it was

the galaxy map has also been terrible since the beginning, and they claim to have "redesigned" it several times but im not sure what exactly they did and its still crap

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I didn't try the expeditions when they originally came out, having fun with it now.
There are plenty of people zipping around, but not enough that it gets in the way of playing the game. And there are lots of helpful bases and messages if you need help finding an objective - nothing that's got in the way so far.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah i was pleased to be able to grab the normandy and the expedition 1 stuff, it was a good move to re-do the expeditions. And I heard they removed some of the grind from them.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I finished expedition 2 last night, and this game finally clicked with me. My first normal save when I bought the game earlier in the year bugged out for some reason, and trying to redo the whole base building tutorial and everything on a new normal save was frustrating, especially because I was playing with my buddy who’s got a couple hundred hours in on Xbox. The crossplay worked great, but it was discouraging for him to be dropping in with all kinds of badass ships and a straight-up Star Destroyer while I was still scraping together stone huts.

Giving the player a freighter at the start of expedition 2 was a good move. Having essentially a pre-built base to remove some of the inventory pressure makes things so much better. It’s a pity that I guess you can’t upgrade the class of your freighter, only ships? I really like the one I got, but I guess it could be better in storage and general stats.

Did anybody ever put together a central goon base or teleporter network of any kind? Once this save converts to a regular one, I’d be happy to join.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

istewart posted:

Giving the player a freighter at the start of expedition 2 was a good move. Having essentially a pre-built base to remove some of the inventory pressure makes things so much better. It’s a pity that I guess you can’t upgrade the class of your freighter, only ships? I really like the one I got, but I guess it could be better in storage and general stats.

I think it's possible to use a save editor to tweak freighters but I'm not 100% certain

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Class isn't too important for freighters anymore - it only affects starting inventory (which is expandable to full regardless of class) and hyperdrive distance, which after upgrades and installs will only differ by like +/- 5%, which you probably won't even notice it unless you're doing nothing but warping directly for the centre.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I haven't played this game since December 2020, if I am returning is it better to start a new game or is it fine to pick up where I left off? I have a pretty nice freighter, good collection of ships, and a ton of items so I'd prefer to pick up where I left off if the updates won't affect too much.

Also did they ever fix the freighter repainting issues?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fake James posted:

I haven't played this game since December 2020, if I am returning is it better to start a new game or is it fine to pick up where I left off? I have a pretty nice freighter, good collection of ships, and a ton of items so I'd prefer to pick up where I left off if the updates won't affect too much.

Unless you have a really pressing desire to replay quests you've already done, "pick up where you left off" is fine

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm late to the party, but I'm just starting the game anyway. I just got the free freighter. However, there is an invisible wall that is blocking me from reaching my fleet command room. I can't delete it, the invisible wall is stopping me. Is this fixable?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Node posted:

I'm late to the party, but I'm just starting the game anyway. I just got the free freighter. However, there is an invisible wall that is blocking me from reaching my fleet command room. I can't delete it, the invisible wall is stopping me. Is this fixable?

There's some panel things on the wall near the corridor to the bridge and if you build your room near them, they can block the door. If you move the room a block across, will it let you in?

I'm just starting too, but may have briefly had this issue.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Elissimpark posted:

There's some panel things on the wall near the corridor to the bridge and if you build your room near them, they can block the door. If you move the room a block across, will it let you in?

I'm just starting too, but may have briefly had this issue.

I ran into that panel you're talking about, I deleted it. I have no idea how to move the room from block to block though. How can I do that, if I can't even target the room in free build mode?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Does it highlight if you go to the build menu and go into edit existing structures?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Node posted:

Worth noting is it's not impossible for your freighter to clip into asteroids in some cases wherever it shows up, "just summon it somewhere slightly different or while standing on a planet" may help as well

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Elissimpark posted:

Does it highlight if you go to the build menu and go into edit existing structures?

It doesn't. I can highlight the corridors before it, but not the room itself.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Worth noting is it's not impossible for your freighter to clip into asteroids in some cases wherever it shows up, "just summon it somewhere slightly different or while standing on a planet" may help as well

I'll try that, thanks.

I'm ready to buy my first ship. I'm still using the one you start with. I have about 8 million space bucks. Whats a good investment? I've seen people recommend a shuttle, type A or so.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Node posted:

It doesn't. I can highlight the corridors before it, but not the room itself.

I'll try that, thanks.

I'm ready to buy my first ship. I'm still using the one you start with. I have about 8 million space bucks. Whats a good investment? I've seen people recommend a shuttle, type A or so.

Depends on what you're using it for, I've never bothered with Shuttles and stick almost exclusively to fighters. If you're after a specific aesthetic, the NMS Coordinate Exchange on Reddit is a good searchable list of interesting ships. Unfortunately you'll need a fully active Portal to really make use of them, which means finishing the Artemis Path mission.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 19, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Statwise, there is not much difference between ships. Cargo ships generally have beefy shields but handle like hogs, explorer-ships have the highest (but not by that much) jump range, fighters have the best handling, shuttles are poo poo. Exotics have the best stats in general, so if you see one you like, take it.

Some of my favorite ships are fighters: After you fully upgrade the FTL-drive, you still have obscene jump range, and as a bonus you also cruise around in a fast, nimble fighter with strong shields and weapons. Them looking sweet-as-gently caress is a welcome bonus!

Organic ships are weird, and you need to get an expensive special item (egg) from the Nexus to even start the questline to get one, but they have one huge factor that made me keep one: You can easily move all their breakable equipment into their "tech"-inventory, which means if you use them to jump to another galaxy, nothing will break! My own little flesh ship is therefore my dedicated galaxy jumper.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If you find a crashed ship and can't be bothered fixing it, there's a way to scrap it for cash without repairing anything. All you need to do is build a teleporter on your frigate, and have visited the local space station. Then all you have to do is

- Find crashed ship
- Add to collection
- Summon frigate into orbit
- Fly to frigate
- Get into the broken ship, then exit it, which will set it as your default ship
- Use the frigate teleporter to teleport to the local space station (or any space station really)
- Sell crashed ship for $$$

The game will make one of your non-broken ships your default, and it'll appear in the space station landing bay so you can fly off with your cash. It's not the most efficient way to earn credits, but it's a pretty easy early game way to cash in on lovely crashed ships. You can even farm them if you build a base right next to the crash site. After a certain point the crashed ship will respawn and you can sell it all over again.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How do I get an exocraft onto a planet that my base isn't on? I assume it is one of the researchable techs in the Anomaly, but I don't really understand enough to make the right choice.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Node posted:

How do I get an exocraft onto a planet that my base isn't on? I assume it is one of the researchable techs in the Anomaly, but I don't really understand enough to make the right choice.

Some times you can built the bay then summon it but the best way is to get the summoner on your freighter so you can call your freighter and summon down the exocraft.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Node posted:

By building a geobay for the exocraft whereever you are, or there's an Orbital Exocraft Materialiser for frieghters that lets you summon any Exocraft you own as long as the freighter's in the same system you are.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Elissimpark posted:

By building a geobay for the exocraft whereever you are, or there's an Orbital Exocraft Materialiser for frieghters that lets you summon any Exocraft you own as long as the freighter's in the same system you are.

Thank you.

Is there anything particularly useful you can buy with quicksilver? Something that isn't a novelty? It looks like you can buy a void egg to make a new type of ship, but that is all I saw.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Node posted:

Thank you.

Is there anything particularly useful you can buy with quicksilver? Something that isn't a novelty? It looks like you can buy a void egg to make a new type of ship, but that is all I saw.

Yeah, the ship egg is about the only thing I'd be interested in, but that'd mean INTERACTING with other players. Honestly, I haven't really explored that part of the game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Node posted:

Thank you.

The only quicksilver items that have in-game effects are the bobbleheads. I have the Atlas and Apollo ones installed, for increased hyperdrive range and damage respectively.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Any time you happen to be in the anomaly, check for quicksilver missions for killing pirates. Super-fast way to earn a bit (250?) of quicksilver.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just got a Series X with Gamepass and got this for both that and PC. I didn't bother searching for a games thread until I'd already put about 15 hours in, and sorta wish I had, because the OP contains a lot of info that would have made things a bit speedier for me in the early game.

That said, it's pretty old, and a few of the things are no longer accurate/relevant - is there a solid new player's guide out there with a list of tricks/ in game hacks to reduce the grind? While the quest line definitely does a shitload of hand holding (in the current version at least), there are quite a few tricks that I was quite unaware of, like flipping broken ships on the freighter or space station instead of trying to fix them.

If not, I'm wondering if it's worth updating the OP or doing a new thread, given the game is actually in a really good place now, and with Gamepass there are probably a tonne of people like me giving it a go for the first time? I've had a bit of a look for new starter guides, and a lot of them are just garbage content for the sake of content (and ad revenue) much like most of the gaming press these days.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, the ship egg is about the only thing I'd be interested in, but that'd mean INTERACTING with other players. Honestly, I haven't really explored that part of the game.

You can solo pretty much all of the nexus quest things, but quicksilver is such a pain in the rear end. I eventually got sick of grinding that and just save edited myself a whole pile of it. If you're on PC, I highly recommend it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The "Ancient Bones" mission is a good way to get a decent chunk of cash as well as whatever the actual reward is, since you can just sell the fossils afterwards (though you need a decent amount of inventory space to do it). The one where you kill a bunch of plants is pretty easy, and you end up with a good chunk of Oxygen, which is always useful.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

If you really want quicksilver, don't want to interact with people or edit your save, AND don't mind the grind, you can always go to a system with a guaranteed Condensed Stellar Ice spawn.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/comments/j6xam3/condensed_stellar_ice_farm_euclid_all_plataforms/

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m having fun plaything this(about two hours in) but I hate the controls so much on the PS5. Sprint on R3 and pressing down to open the quick menu and then pressing up to navigate it fucks me up so much

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
tbh at this point all of my consoles have at least one 3rd party controller with back-buttons bound to L3 and R3, whoever came up with "pressing the joystick in" as an input option in the first place should be dealt with in the same manner as the maker of comic sans

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh at this point all of my consoles have at least one 3rd party controller with back-buttons bound to L3 and R3, whoever came up with "pressing the joystick in" as an input option in the first place should be dealt with in the same manner as the maker of comic sans

It's great for single press options, like crouch/stand. Anyone that's decided to map it to a hold option needs to be tossed out the airlock.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm looking to upgrade my freighter. Can anyone confirm if your base layout is saved if you get a new freighter? According to https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Freighter_Base_Building , it does, but I want to be sure.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Node posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my freighter. Can anyone confirm if your base layout is saved if you get a new freighter? According to https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Freighter_Base_Building , it does, but I want to be sure.

It gets saved, i've done it twice now.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I had a dream that I played No Man’s Sky on the Switch and the draw distance was mediocre.

I’m still amazed they got it running on the Switch at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
New Update! Looks like they're reworking the combat this time instead of new gameplay systems. And our own little Sentinel buddy. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ammSKujIBHk