Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gavok posted:

Today's Rumblethon is a long one (Day of Reckoning 2), but it's one of the best ones they've done.
I just started watching it and can tell it will be great just by the first two entrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Antitonic posted:

Continuing on my Wrestling Empire save, because watching the Rumblethon renewed my interest. First match is a best of three tag match against Ric Flair and one of the MDickie originals. First move, my partner gets thrown out for “constantly interfering”. Later in the match, Randy Savage runs in and attacks me. I try to fight back in self-defence, only to be hit with the “you don’t want me on your team? I’ll switch sides!”

Then someone stole my clothes. I say mine, but they’re actually Ronda Rousey’s because of forced gimmick changes.

:allears:

I went in and fiddled with my stats so they were max and then jumped back into the story. I can win basically every match without issue, but because my popularity is max, I keep getting shuffled from promotion to promotion for absurd amounts of money.

Then again I also keep winning belts and then leaving the company with them :v:

Also everyone wants money from me, and randomly dudes will tell me they have beef with me and I'm always like "Bro I don't know who the gently caress you are but apparently you want me to falcon arrow you on concrete so here we go!"

I've also got a bunch of screenshots I've been taking since I bought the game of some of the funnier results screens and such. Including Arn Anderson waving a gun around and telling me he didn't like what I did to Flair.

:allears: this is such a delightfully stupid game and I love it.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

I went in and fiddled with my stats so they were max and then jumped back into the story. I can win basically every match without issue, but because my popularity is max, I keep getting shuffled from promotion to promotion for absurd amounts of money.

Then again I also keep winning belts and then leaving the company with them :v:

Also everyone wants money from me, and randomly dudes will tell me they have beef with me and I'm always like "Bro I don't know who the gently caress you are but apparently you want me to falcon arrow you on concrete so here we go!"

I've also got a bunch of screenshots I've been taking since I bought the game of some of the funnier results screens and such. Including Arn Anderson waving a gun around and telling me he didn't like what I did to Flair.

:allears: this is such a delightfully stupid game and I love it.

How do you max stats? My Daniel Bryan whose been forced to have Tugboat’s gimmick is always half dead going into matches

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

iirc you can go into the roster editor and change your stats in there? i haven't played the new one but that's how it was in wr3D

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Leaked(?) trailer

e. now official:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nOzp1S8Dz8

Pretty unimpressive.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 29, 2022

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kennel posted:

Leaked(?) trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v6_2yTm3rk

Pretty unimpressive.

Authentic wwe experience

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

How do you max stats? My Daniel Bryan whose been forced to have Tugboat’s gimmick is always half dead going into matches

Roster edit. You have to back out to the menu and then open up roster edit and change whatever you want then jump back into the story.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Watching this now and their "Vince McMahon announcing the early 90's Rumble roster" voices sound like "Powered by The Cheat" Strong Bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Everyone looks like their 360/ps3 incarnations and yeah you can tell the animations are the same weightless poo poo as ever.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Gavok posted:

Watching this now and their "Vince McMahon announcing the early 90's Rumble roster" voices sound like "Powered by The Cheat" Strong Bad.

This is an extremely niche joke and I love it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Kennel posted:

Leaked(?) trailer

e. now official:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nOzp1S8Dz8

Pretty unimpressive.

It's all just single move animations.

They are so hesitant to show the actual game being played. The weird thing is some wrestling game youtubers have played it and said the gameplay is good, but there's no visual evidence of this whatsoever.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Using Imagine Dragons(or what sounds like a cover) in the trailer continues to show how out of touch the WWE is. This one's gonna hurt, folks.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 30, 2022

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That trailer…wow. Maybe at least the rumors are true.

I’ve put in so many hours manipulating characters/rosters in WWE and Fire Pro over the years, only to wind up watching about an hour of matches and losing interest. New Legacy usually bores me but their MDickie rumbles were incredible.

Went in and edited the names everyone in Wrestling Empire the other day, and I’m hooked on setting up ridiculous matches and witnessing the disaster. It’s not just chuckling about the jank, I swear the matches are more entertaining.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Tomorrow's is Anarchy Rulz

Dino rules

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
The segment with Kash and three non-wrestlers in the ring has me wheezing with laughter

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

The segment with Kash and three non-wrestlers in the ring has me wheezing with laughter

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dishwasher posted:

Smackdown-2K vs FirePro is kinda like the difference between Fifa and Football Manager. Fire Pro is all about the obsessive nuts and bolts and watching the engine work its magic.

I'm working through a fictional/efed only MOTW run just building feuds and building up my chosen aces and its some of the best fun I've had in a wrestling game to date. 170 hours and I don't even have a controller plugged in. :allears:

ah, another connisseur of action figure theater. yes, i have countless hours of simmed fire pro in my steam history. playing the actual game is, yeah, actually more strategic than most games and definitely has its appeal but creating stables and battling them together and finding your favorite teams that work well together and like, creating these new dream pairings and having splinter groups, thats where its at for me

in my game the absolute killer ace trio of badasses is EVIL/KENTA/PAC (which is extremely satisfying just aesthetically) and the most decorated tag team in the history of the fed is chris jericho and owen hart. all bc the ai has a little bit of magic that makes them extremely fun to watch and win lots of matches lol. it ruuuules, highly rec to anyone who likes their games to play themselves.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Fire pro is great. My favorite part is building characters and their AI and watch them interact with the rest of my roster.

Being able to have someone like, say, Bret Hart target the leg in the first two acts of the match before busting out the sharpshooter just makes the matxhes so much more interesting, especially when the AI goes a little off script.

Compare that to 2k where there's no rhyme or reason to what moves are used and when.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Watching right now and it was absolutely amazing.That Joey Styles impression is, for the lack of a better word, impressive.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
If they get rid of the loving kickout minigame I'll give it a try

Most of that looked just fine but you've still got this situation where some characters from some angles look like PS2 graphics

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they got rid of the kickout meter and reversal limits.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I recently started playing 2k16 - I bought it for like, $2 in a steam sale years ago and I felt the itch for a more modern Wrestling game, after not playing any of them seriously since like, SvR 11. I don't know what I feel about the reversal limits. It does add a bit of flow to the matches from first take, back and forth. Seems more natural from a wrestling sim aspect. But it does seem frustrating that it removes a lot of interactivity from the matches.

I've always felt the chances to reverse should be reliant on how far along you are in the match. Like, if you go for a powerbomb first move in the match, super easily reversed. But as it winds down, everything becomes hard, but not impossible, to reverse. Sort of yes, like the AKI games. The Smackdown games seemed intent to always just keep it flat the entire match. Gorilla Press out the gate is as easy to reverse as it is 20 seconds in as it is 20 minutes in. It feels like 2K/Yukes/Whoever was making these choices is ultimately struggling to make the balance between 'fighting game' and whatever a wrestling game would be.

The kickout meter I always hated. My nerdiest endeavor I think was getting real into a PvP E-Fed that used the SvR games as a base. And basically the feds became dominated by those who got super loving good at the kickout game. To the point that everyone had a submission finisher and no one would use an Impact move, or special rules had to be implemented(3 finisher kickouts max or whatever). It was incredibly dumb and probably contributed to the online play wasteland that these games always ended up being.

LIke, mashing kills controllers, I get that. But It's another thing where I think they should just accept some randomness and take notes from the AKI games - % chance to kickout/submit based on damage taken or whatever. Also, based on what takes you down, and how long it takes for them to go for the cover. My 2k16 venture still has the ancient smackdown engine stupidity of the AI going for pins off the weakest of knockdowns. Random midmatch clothesline? Pin attempt. Headlock takedown? Pin attempt. And they're as easy/hard to kick out of compared to you eating a Pedigree or Tombstone beforehand - regardless if it's immediate or Triple H pinning Booker T at WM19 between the move and cover.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I have been more engaged in all of these nL rumbles than the real rumble. Was elated to see Orlando Jordan beat the odds.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The final line-up for the Royalest Rumble:

Eddie Guerrero
The Brian Kendrick
Spike Dudley
Kamala
Viscera
Edge
Sean O'Haire
Shawn Michaels
Bobby Southside (off-brand Terry Funk)
Kurt Angle
Jinder Mahal
Hugh Jazz (off-brand Big Show)
Rhino
John Cena
Kofi Kingston
Tomohiro Ishii
Bubba Ray Dudley
Jim Ross
Jack Swagger
Mr. Perfect
Dean Malenko
The Grand Wizard
Chavo Guerrero
Matt Cardona
Randy Orton
Jeff Hardy
Vince McMahon
Orlando Jordan
Kid Kash (Fat Mode)
Albert

Notable people who didn't make the cut: no doubles, women, Triple H, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Austin, Hogan, Andre, Brock, Goldberg, Kane

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Fire pro is great. My favorite part is building characters and their AI and watch them interact with the rest of my roster.

Being able to have someone like, say, Bret Hart target the leg in the first two acts of the match before busting out the sharpshooter just makes the matxhes so much more interesting, especially when the AI goes a little off script.

Compare that to 2k where there's no rhyme or reason to what moves are used and when.

The 2K games AI is really poo poo when you think about it. Beyond the fact that a lot of times it juts looks the AI is picking moves at random, a lot of the wrestlers movesets don't fit together? Like you'll have a guy whose finishers all target the Head, but none of his regular moves do.

Remember that AJ Styles Wrestlemania Challenge Mode thing they did a few years back where you had to do a whole gauntlet of matches and the winner got a prize? One of the hardest matches in that mode was a submission match, and it was only hard because Styles only has one submission move in that game, which targets the Legs, and literally none of his other moves do Leg Damage. There's just no thought whatsoever put into the whole limb targeting/damage system.

Not to mention that Injury System in Universe Mode which requires you to do like 10 billion damage to one of a guy's limbs every single week over and over and over again to have a CHANCE that he MIGHT get an injury and go away for a month or whatever.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Gavok posted:

The final line-up for the Royaliest Rumble:

Vince McMahon is actually Lance Monaco, because MDickie, but otherwise correct.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Solid lineup

#TeamJinder

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This is really cool

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1487751858697510913

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

but can you Def Jam: Fight for NY people in that arena

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Finally someone delivers on the vision created by the poster for Royal Rumble 2008 :v:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah I got bored and played 2k19 for a little while in December/Early January and it kinda hit me a little bit in as I adjusted CAW movesets that in 2K, at least when it comes to sims, you...really aren't building a wrestler to the same extent you are in Fire Pro, which is wild because you have so many goddamn move slots to fill in the former. Yes the core of it is assigning a bunch of moves you want but as you said, in Fire Pro you're also essentially building a match structure for them (and then setting how much they can deviate from it) and a character of sorts that will be expressed through it. Obviously in 2k if you're actually playing then you can do that kind of buildup yourself, if you want to, but there's just something a bit more neat about the game still doing it even if you never touch a controller.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The nL stuff would be much more tolerable if it weren't for the dumbshit who feels the need to giggle at everything, shout out at a spot and generally dominate the discussion.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Timby posted:

The nL stuff would be much more tolerable if it weren't for the dumbshit who feels the need to giggle at everything, shout out at a spot and generally dominate the discussion.

its a lets play channel, yes

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Next step: Rumble IN a train

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

frankenfreak posted:

Al Snowpiercer

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Taking of Rumble One Two Three

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

frankenfreak posted:

Rumble on top of a speeding train. Kofi gets thrown off the train but doesn't land on both of his feet and hops on one foot trying to follow the train. At next year's Rumble he finally arrives and enters to win.... the rumble of the year prior. He's not in that one. Anyway, he goes to Wrestlemania 9 months ago.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Thomas the Tank Abbott

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Timby posted:

So it's not for you, gotcha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

frankenfreak posted:

DDT did a match in a train where you could get eliminated if you weren't on the train when it left the station iirc

MDickie should next work on a camping site arena where you can run over people on bicycles.