Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Spatial posted:

A great way to filter out annoying noise is to add constant random noise. I listen to pink noise when I want to filter things out, it works really well and you don't need expensive earphones. It has a similar sound to very heavy rain.

a 1 minute long pink noise sample is still my number one most played song in itunes / apple music because i used to put it on at night when i lived in a noisy apartment more than a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

a 1 minute long pink noise sample is still my number one most played song in itunes / apple music because i used to put it on at night when i lived in a noisy apartment more than a decade ago

Why one minute?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I think infants should be allowed to fly planes, but only if they receive the proper training and certification.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

rotinaj posted:

Why one minute?

It was the highest quality sample i found :shrug:

you don’t notice it if you set the song to crossfade with a few seconds of overlap and normalize the volume

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I think infants should be allowed to fly planes, but only if they receive the proper training and certification.

just one of those baby activity center things except everything moves a control surface in addition to making a squeaky noise or whatever

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I get a hint that Mr. Fair Market Rate who bought the property "almost" sight unseen might be gouging them a little, but c'est la vie

He offered it at the price suggested by an estate agent. The operators could have gotten their own agent and countered but didn’t. The guy has been pretty reasonable, I think.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Foo Diddley posted:

just one of those baby activity center things except everything moves a control surface in addition to making a squeaky noise or whatever

Probably the scariest thing about that scenario is how quickly that baby would master flying

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Some reasons this take is dumb

1) the victim is not responsible for the wellbeing of the person who harmed them

2) in most places you can’t “press charges”. The cops can decide to make an arrest but only after that does the DA or prosecutor decide to press charges or not, depending on the crime and the evidence. it is pretty much entirely out of the hands of the victim. you can *maybe* affect it by not cooperating actively after calling the police, but you don’t actually make the decisions after you get the legal system involved

Poster is not wrong that mental health professionals would do a massive amount of help to keep vunerable people out of a system designed to punish the mythological "bad guy" who doesn't deserve mercy or empathy.

That said, spending days/weeks bullying the people in your life to shave their head and then assaulting them in their sleep isn't a DSM category for the "oh poor you you're not responsible" type of conditions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA I got mad at my wife for ruining dessert

quote:

We are Indian.

Yesterday, it was my daughter's birthday. She's 8yo.

She said she doesn't want a party and instead asked me to make her biryani and kheer. She loves meat so it was kind of an expected request from her.

My wife is what you'd call "a disaster in the kitchen". She once left the milk on the stove until the vessel was completely charred..... She had been trying to make tea for the guests. Another time, she put vinegar in fish fry and it became kinda bitter.

So I do all the cooking at home.

Yesterday, I was making the biryani since morning. It takes extra long for me to prepare the biryani because I do it from scratch. I even grind the spices on my own. When the biryani was almost done, I started making the kheer.

While the kheer was boiling, I went to call my daughter downstairs. She was speaking to her aunt(my wife's sister).

When I came downstairs, I saw my wife adding something to the kheer. I asked her what she added she said that she tasted the kheer and there was less sugar so she added more. That was all fine but the thing is she added salt instead of sugar. I was super pissed at her. She said that it's fine and that our daughter should compromise. I told her that I never even asked her for any help and why would she ruin the food at the last moment.

When my daughter came downstairs, I told her I'd make kheer for night and apologized to my daughter. She thankfully took it in stride.

I made the kheer at night and she liked it.

My wife is saying I shouldn't have gotten so angry at her and that it was a genuine mistake. The thing is I would have understood if I had actually asked her to taste test the kheer. But I didn't. She did something that was never asked of her and ruined the kheer.

But maybe I should've just let it go

AITA?
From the comments, the family uses pink salt to cook, and confectioner's sugar to sweeten desserts. There's no way the wife could have confused the two. She added 2-3 spoons of salt.

For those who haven't had it, kheer is a yummy yummy Indian rice pudding that takes at least 45 minutes to make, stirring it most of the time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not letting my gf use maple syrup to sous vide pork chops?

quote:

Yeah, you read the title right.

My GF is a very adventurous cook and I love her. I have a very adventurous palate as well. However, she grew up rich and I grew up poor. So she’s not very mindful of waste and I am. I don’t mind if you use an expensive ingredient - but just use it judiciously and don’t waste it.

In sous vide cooking you basically vacuum seal the food item and cook it in a bath of water that is maintained at a set temperature over a long period of time.

My gf wanted to replace the water bath with a maple syrup bath. At first I thought I’d heard her incorrectly, but she wanted to see if any maple flavour would infuse into the pork chops.

I pointed out thats simply very wasteful. If she wanted maple flavour we could make a glaze or we could put maple syrup in the bag with the pork chops so they could cook in the syrup. She absolutely refused. She “wanted to see what would happen” and “wanted a more delicate hint of maple than what a glaze or cooking it in maple syrup would achieve”

Maple syrup is imported in my country and thus is VERY EXPENSIVE. Getting enough syrup to create a bath for the meat would be extremely high. Not to mention the sous vide rod would probably get spoilt - it was designed for water and not syrup. And then the maple syrup could not be used for anything else as that would be unhygienic.

The sous vide machine was a joint expense so I put my foot down. I said if she could buy a machine exclusively for this experiment and finance the maple syrup needed with her own money then its fine but she cant’t touch the joint account.

She blew up at me and got her friends and parents involved who called me miserly because I can afford to splurge on this kooky experiment but I simply don’t want to.
Update: thanks to everyone who responded, I have gone through all the replies when I could. Glad to know all my screws are in the right place haha.

As for GF, well. One of her friends came across this post and sent it to everyone. The drama still isn’t completely sorted but I’m clear on my end about what needs to happen. Turns out she’d spun a tall tale to her friends and family about how I am controlling her financially or whatever. Her friends and family texted/called me to apologize and I accepted.

I confronted my GF and told her to get out of my house. Sorry, but life is too short for me to be with someone who plays these weird games. I will be formally serving her an eviction notice tomorrow but she knows this can’t be salvaged. Her parents tried to talk me down but I asked if the tables had been turned, what would their reaction be? They had no defence. Honestly they were very embarrassed by their daughter and kept apologizing. I accepted but said that I don’t trust her in my house which I feel is fair given the circumstances.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Whelp, I got a sous vide for Christmas so I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There is so much wrong with that maple syrup idea I don’t even know where to start. What the hell.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
That's stupid, the meat is sealed in plastic and no maple flavor is going to get through that way!! OP is right, they should make a nice maple glaze and put it on after the sear.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

That's stupid, the meat is sealed in plastic and no maple flavor is going to get through that way!! OP is right, they should make a nice maple glaze and put it on after the sear.

I really didn't understand this, because i thought she just wanted to put maple syrup on the meat in the plastic, seal it up, and the fill the container with water to sous vide it. That's a fine experiment.....no idea how that turns out but maybe good?

But putting maple syrup on the wrong side of the plastic and running an immersion heater in it sounds like a good way to smoke out your kitchen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I want to infuse the meat with the delicate flavour of plastic melted in maple syrup, is that too much to ask for?

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

I really didn't understand this, because i thought she just wanted to put maple syrup on the meat in the plastic, seal it up, and the fill the container with water to sous vide it. That's a fine experiment.....no idea how that turns out but maybe good?

But putting maple syrup on the wrong side of the plastic and running an immersion heater in it sounds like a good way to smoke out your kitchen.

I'm having trouble finding references to it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of the occasional restaurant not bothering with the bags and just keeping a vat of butter at temp and throwing in whole lobsters to poach (also pretty sure that health inspectors hate it). It's a little less wasteful than it would be for a home cook, because they'll have more uses for massive quantities of lobster-infused butter.

But yeah, it's absolutely not necessary and likely to gently caress up the machine. Shouldn't cause problems with smoking at sous vide temps, but definitely an especially bad idea to do it with that much sugar.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hughlander posted:

lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Poaching in butter is a thing, but it's not sous vide, and it's not trying to replace water in sous vide with a viscous sugary syrup.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Poaching in butter is a thing, but it's not sous vide, and it's not trying to replace water in sous vide with a viscous sugary syrup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Biy5776ec

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

Shouldn't cause problems with smoking at sous vide temps, but definitely an especially bad idea to do it with that much sugar.

I think you need to keep in mind that the average temperatures used in sous vide cooking are NOT the same as the temperature created by the heating elements in the sous vide wand. The localized temperatures around the element are surely MUCH higher and averaged out by the flow of water/maple syrup through it. I'm just picturing a flow of partially caramelized/burnt sugar streaming out of it, steadily getting worse as it recirculates.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maple syrup flavor going through the plastic is almost homeopathic in its lack of basis.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

She might have stumbled on a new method for making caramel.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

I hope this is fake

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

She might have stumbled on a new method for making caramel.

maybe a new method for making a broken sous vide wand

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for calling my friend out on her clothes

quote:

throwaway because literally everyone I know has reddit

I am a female engineer. Studying undergrad at a really great university. In my program and basically every engineering program there is of course a huge divide in that there are way more men than women. In some of my classes there are like five girls to 20 guys, so of course the girls all become friends and stick together. I love them all but one of them just doesn't hold herself up to the standard that I feel engineers should.

I am in no way slut shaming her, but I've always felt that the outfits she wears to classes, labs and internship meetings are incredibly inappropriate. She'll wear skirts with the sheer tights underneath them, boots, low cut tops so you can see her cleavage too. It shames me when she walks into class and I see all the guys staring at her body, or whispering to each other, or whistling under their breath. We're already so outnumbered in this field, still fighting to get equal pay and be treated fairly, so why is she making it so much harder for us all by not dressing professionally and allowing herself to be talked about this way?

Just last week we had a professional engineer come and talk to us in an info session. This woman is a trailblazer, had to fight her way to be in the field, dealt with so much sexism, and is wildly successful. My friend sat in the front row nodding and getting emotional with all of us, all while dressed the way she is. The woman giving the presentation looked so professional in her business clothes, my friend looked like an anime character.

Afterwards my friend wanted to stay overtime to tell the speaker that her speech was inspiring and to ask for advice. I finally said that she should maybe at least put on a jacket or something to do so. My friend was confused, asked me what I meant and I said very straight forward that it was borderline inappropriate and disrespectful to speak to someone of higher authority while dressed the way she was. she was livid, called me a slut shamer, said that I was giving into societys standards. no, i'm not, i just hold myself to a professional standard and understand that the work we're doing now will lead the way for other female engineers to come. she cried and left and we haven't talked in a few days. AITA?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

pentyne posted:

Poster is not wrong that mental health professionals would do a massive amount of help to keep vunerable people out of a system designed to punish the mythological "bad guy" who doesn't deserve mercy or empathy.

That said, spending days/weeks bullying the people in your life to shave their head and then assaulting them in their sleep isn't a DSM category for the "oh poor you you're not responsible" type of conditions.

You aren't responsible for your condition. You are responsible for what you do as a result of your condition. If you go off your meds and assault someone as a result you are hella responsible for that.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

the holy poopacy posted:

maybe a new method for making a broken sous vide wand

There's no way the little motor in the Anova I have could handle maple syrup unless she has a hookup to a maple farm and can get the sugar-water by the barrel before they boil it down.

You could maybe make it work with an Instant Pot with the sous vide feature? That's just a controlled heating element under the pot with a much more controlled environment and temperature sensors.

Still doesn't explain how she thinks the syrup gets through a plastic bag. Does she think her current sous vide meats are wet because the water soaks through?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

You aren't responsible for your condition. You are responsible for what you do as a result of your condition. If you go off your meds and assault someone as a result you are hella responsible for that.

I saw it here as "I'm not responsible for my condition but I am responsible for my actions"

yeah that's become lodged in my brain as one of the more important quotes to remember in life. Same with the respect means authority/person quote.

Kind of wonder where this originated from as well, as it's gotten a ton of use in the last couple years

quote:

Sometimes people use "respect" to mean "treating someone like a person" and sometimes they use "respect" to mean "treating someone like an authority." This means sometimes people who are used to being treated like an authority say, "If you don’t respect me I won’t respect you" but what they mean is, "If you don’t treat me like an authority I won’t treat you like a person."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ScienceSeagull posted:

How are Christian mimes different from other mimes?

The one performance I saw (unwillingly) it was interpretive dance to worship music. I thinks it’s mainly popular with black churches because it was at an MLK celebration. I have no idea how it ended up with that name.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

eleven extra elephants posted:

I hope this is fake

It's from TrueOffMyChest. You know it's gotta be true!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for refusing to let my ex-husband take our children abroad to visit his family?

quote:

While we were married, we would visit my former in-laws at least twice a year. Now that we’re in the middle of a divorce, my ex still wants to take the kids (3 and 5) this year. The trip is from a country in Europe to another country in Europe (edit: UK to Italy).

When he told me I immediately told him no. He told me he wasn’t asking me and he was only telling me as a courtesy. I told him I wouldn’t give him permission to take them abroad and I’d get the police involved if he tried to take them without it.

My former mother-in-law contacted me after the fight we had and asked me to reconsider as she really wanted to see the kids. She hasn't seen them in person for over 6 months. She promised the kids would be completely safe with her and she would personally be responsible for their well-being and to make sure they came home in time. I continued to refuse and now she’s upset and disappointed in me.

My ex hasn’t brought it up again since but my oldest told me that their dad said they would be going. I confronted my ex and told him to stop lying to the kids and he brushed me off and told me he would like to see me stop him from taking his kids anywhere. He also accused me of making things unnecessarily hostile for no reason.

AITA?

edit: I'm adding this because it keeps getting asked... I said no because I don't trust him to bring them back when he says he will.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

An undergrad student who bloviates about "holding themselves to a professional standard" must be an absolutely intolerable square. My god.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

Kind of wonder where this originated from as well, as it's gotten a ton of use in the last couple years

That was a classic even back in the 90s. Shame some folks still haven't learned it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for refusing to let my ex-husband take our children abroad to visit his family?

Thankfully, the replies are full of people giving her concrete steps to stop them from leaving the country.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for allowing my mom to visit mine and my wife's house against my wife's wishes?

quote:

My mom is a nightmare and she's always disrespecting people's boundaries while also being entitled. She never liked my wife, not for any serious reason other than the fact that I got married and she couldn't stand seeing me moving away from her.

My wife gave birth 3 weeks ago to our healthy baby girl. My mom insisted she wanted to be in the delivery room but my wife only wanted me and her mom in there but my mom was on the hospital lobby screaming about how she deserves to experience the birth of her grandchild.

Whenever my mom visited our house she would always nitpick everything and judge my wife for being a horrible housewife and claimed she'd be a bad mom as well. Since those remarks my wife has lost her temper and doesn't want my mom to visit again and I understand why, nobody would like to be humiliated in their own house.

After my wife have birth they kept the baby in the hospital to monitor her for few days. My wife recovered at home. We got our baby girl back home eventually and the grandparents wanted to meet her. My wife said she'll only be ok with my mom visiting this once for the baby as long as she doesn't make any remarks. My mom promised she wouldn't be out of line but as soon as she stepped on our porch she started commenting on our front yard not being clean and that my wife is ridiculous for not cleaning it before getting the baby here. My wife lost her temper and said that she lost every visiting privilege for now on and that we'll take the baby to her house to meet her once we feel like it. It's been almost two weeks and my in laws have met the baby, so had my father. My mom still hasn't and my wife doesn't want to see her and she won't let the baby out of her house yet because she's only days old.

My wife had a doctors appointment yesterday and I'd stay home with the baby. I saw this as a chance to invite my mom over to see the baby as long as she kept it a secret. She came over and I told her we have roughly two hours before my wife comes back. My mom then wouldn't leave no matter how many times I tried to convince her. My wife came home and saw my mom there cuddling the baby and she had a full mental breakdown and started screaming at me and her and she told her to get the gently caress off the house. I told my wife to shut the gently caress up and calm down and it's also my house and my kid and if I want my mom to meet my fuckin kid at my fuckin house she can't forbid me from doing it and she has no right to kick my mom out. That led to her kicking me out too and now I'm staying at my parent's until my wife calms down.

AITA for bringing my mom at my house to meet my daughter against my wife's wishes or is my wife the one being unreasonable?

quote:

Legally the lease is in her name

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for allowing my mom to visit mine and my wife's house against my wife's wishes?

This loving guy.

quote:

Look at it this way. If you had a friend who treated your wife like your mother does, would you still be friends with them? I would hope not.

You are enabling your mother’s bad behavior and not defending your wife. I would expect my husband, the person I chose to be with for the rest of my life to stand up for me and protect me from abusive behavior, not rewarding the person the first time I leave the house.

If I was her, I would not trust you nor would I respect you. I would also be your ex-wife.

OP posted:

A friend of mine doesn't like my wife since the beginning of our relationship because my wife didn't like how touchy we were and she wanted us to stop it. I am still in touch with that friend. Whether my wife gets along with someone or not I respect. But doesn't mean I have to stop speaking to that person

quote:

…did you just admit to having a secret relationship behind your wife’s back with a friend who is “too touchy” with you, who your wife expressed concern about? Wow, you just get better and better!

OP posted:

I'm not in a relationship with that person and my wife knows we keep in touch she just doesn't meet her.

quote:

Do you and this friend still like to, Um, touch each other?

OP posted:

No. We don't even hug when we meet. We sit across from each other whenever we occasionally grab some coffee

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Mx. posted:

Legally the lease is in her name

NOW YOU hosed UP

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evil Willow posted:

It shames me when she walks into class and I see all the guys staring at her body, or whispering to each other, or whistling under their breath.

I don't think its shame she is feeling but jealousy.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

limp_cheese posted:

I don't think its shame she is feeling but jealousy.

Usually the misogyny in tech circles isn't internalized.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That was a classic even back in the 90s. Shame some folks still haven't learned it.

Nah the people who don't know would probably take it as a point of pride, like "gently caress yes you're right that I won't treat you like a person if you don't listen to everything I say, I'd beat it into you if I could"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Whelp, I got a sous vide for Christmas so I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Holy crap the update on this, that escalated from the GF just being dumb really fast.