Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they forgot how to make all these special foams and other stuff for the warheads too

quote:

In 2007, as the government began overhauling the nation’s stockpile of W76 warheads—the variety often carried by Ohio-class submarines—officials at the National Nuclear Security Administration realized they couldn’t produce an essential material known as “Fogbank.” What purpose this substance actually serves is classified, but outside experts have suggested that it’s a sort of exploding foam that sits between the fission and fusion portions of hydrogen bombs. The Government Accountability Office reported in March that NNSA’s effort to recover its Fogbank-making ability had resulted in a yearlong, $69 million delay in the refurbishment project. And a government official with knowledge of the situation tells Mother Jones that further Fogbank-related delays are imminent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
how much you want to bet someone skimped on the fogbank or whatever, knowing it could not legally be tested by international law

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Crazy that ten years ago we thought WWIII would be against Occupy Wall Street/Wikileaks, and we would be allied to China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHiSdkDl6VA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rutibex posted:

how much you want to bet someone skimped on the fogbank or whatever, knowing it could not legally be tested by international law

some retiree passes off his wifes lemon bar recipe to uncle sam and collects the bounty

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lmao if they do a first strike and they are duds.

Bet you anything if they did they'd spend 3 days insisting it was inert on purpose and they did it as a strong warning.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

they forgot how to make all these special foams and other stuff for the warheads too

The only good reason they are admitting their fuckups is they think they can still ride the grift gravy train to more fuckups

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
america rolling into ww3 like those those small
business tyrants who total their $100k SUVs the first time they take it off the pavement

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

lmao if they do a first strike and they are duds.

Bet you anything if they did they'd spend 3 days insisting it was inert on purpose and they did it as a strong warning.

first strike that duds and the resulting international fallout is a pretty good setup for a story id watch/read/play that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rusting Minuteman missiles

Lmao

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so the minuteman force is absolutely where the officers no one likes in the Air Force get sent, right? to sit in a tube underground and go through checklists for 10 years and go insane

no wonder they are all on drugs

drugs in the tube sounds great vs the tedium and decay of sitting where a hundred other guys farted and shitted underground

wolfs has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Jan 29, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

the us has not detonated a nuclear weapon in 30 years. it's safe to say every guy who has practical experiance building an atom bomb that actually explodes has retired

It's not so difficult and it's enough if one in 50 goes off though. Even the MIC can do that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wolfs posted:

so the minuteman force is absolutely where the officers no one likes in the Air Force get sent, right? to sit in a tube underground and go through checklists for 10 years and go insane

drugs in the tube sounds great vs the tedium and decay of sitting where a hundred other guys farted and shitted underground

I’d rather do that than almost anything else in the military. sounds pretty chill and it’s not like you’re going to launch something every day. yet.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

I’d rather do that than almost anything else in the military. sounds pretty chill and it’s not like you’re going to launch something every day. yet.

getting paid to do almost nothing hmmph i wonder who would like that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

the rocket people have the longest school out of anyone in the military outside pilots and possibly nuke sub techs. even the enlisted ones go on to make insane amounts of money in the MIC afterwards

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

wolfs posted:

in the beginning of WarGames, one of the nuke officers is talking about weed while walking to the control bunker lol. getting high around a nuclear missile would be super bad vibes imo. no thank you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Being bad at your job when your job is ending the world seems like good karma

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You know that the order to launch is never going to come anyway, why not blaze it?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You know that the order to launch is never going to come anyway, why not blaze it?

*insert kim jong um memes*

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Real hurthling! posted:

the lcs was so reactive with sea water it dissolved itself

iirc that was because the cathodic protection system, a chunk of zinc bolted to the hull that you will find on pretty much anything that touches salt water, was eliminated in some cost cutting session.

Rutibex posted:

it must take some real effort to maintain a full American body in Afghanistan

:lol: I can't speak for life in the smaller camps but on Bagram they had a whole dining facility dedicated to bbq and the main one had weekly surf and turf nights. A free all you can eat buffet with tiny lobster tails. I have never eaten so good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

pygmy tyrant posted:

iirc that was because the cathodic protection system, a chunk of zinc bolted to the hull that you will find on pretty much anything that touches salt water, was eliminated in some cost cutting session.

lol if they were thinking zincs anodes would work anyway. almost certainly would need an impressed current system.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

pygmy tyrant posted:

They gave half the contract to a shipbuilder on the great lakes. You can't expect them to know about salt water. If the Toledo war happens again the LCS will kick rear end.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

They gave half the contract to a shipbuilder on the great lakes. You can't expect them to know about salt water. If the Toledo war happens again the LCS will kick rear end.

This is sort of like when the German high command assigned an engineering unit from Bavaria to be in charge of building the transport barges for Operation Sealion

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

there is a divide between bluewater engineers / naval architects and brown water and they went with the brown water probably because they didn’t know there was a difference.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

even if the order did come through, why would you ever follow it? "oh no I might get in trouble with the super mutant court martial later" lol. I guess that's probably why they won't let me be in charge of the nukes

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lol if they were thinking zincs anodes would work anyway. almost certainly would need an impressed current system.

it's been years since I read about it but I'm pretty sure sacrificial anodes were specifically what the articles I saw talked about. On the other hand, I'm an idiot and that's the only cathodic protection system I was aware of so I'm probably just filling in blanks with bs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

pygmy tyrant posted:

it's been years since I read about it but I'm pretty sure sacrificial anodes were specifically what the articles I saw talked about. On the other hand, I'm an idiot and that's the only cathodic protection system I was aware of so I'm probably just filling in blanks with bs

it’s possible they only had anodes but I think that would be a dumb choice professionally. they were still designing them way back when I was at the Academy so I don’t know and am only guessing.

removing them and having nothing would be amazingly dumb though.

I’ve just looked it up.

ship is aluminum hulled. piping and pumps in the engine room were stainless. they meet at jets. they didn’t use zinc or impressed current. they added zincs later lol, what a poo poo show.

“The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.” they cut it to save money. that would have to have had to occurred over significant opposition.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hmm what will we use to catch the ions coming off the steel once this goes into a medium??
oh! how about the very hull itself!
genius!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

pygmy tyrant posted:

them: what do those stupid commercial shippers all equipped with cathodic protection systems know about corrosion proofing?

pygmy tyrant posted:

:lol: I can't speak for life in the smaller camps but on Bagram they had a whole dining facility dedicated to bbq and the main one had weekly surf and turf nights. A free all you can eat buffet with tiny lobster tails. I have never eaten so good.

manned US overseas bases are really glorified country clubs with whorehouses run on taxpayers' dole

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

hmm what will we use to catch the ions coming off the steel once this goes into a medium??
oh! how about the very hull itself!
genius!

backwards, the stainless plant pipes would eat the aluminum hull.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Palladium posted:

them: what do those stupid commercial shippers all equipped with cathodic protection systems know about corrosion proofing?

that’s the amazing thing to me.

anyone with a naval architecture or marine engineering background would be screaming about this. so the navy had to have forced it over loud complaints.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i say swears online posted:

the rocket people have the longest school out of anyone in the military outside pilots and possibly nuke sub techs. even the enlisted ones go on to make insane amounts of money in the MIC afterwards

why, because they have impeccably vetted security clearances? where do nuclear missile skills transfer

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s possible they only had anodes but I think that would be a dumb choice professionally. they were still designing them way back when I was at the Academy so I don’t know and am only guessing.

I’ve just looked it up.

ship is aluminum hulled. piping and pumps in the engine room were stainless. they meet at jets. they didn’t use zinc or impressed current. they added zincs later lol, what a poo poo show.

“The list of deleted items includes something called a "Cathodic Protection System," which is designed to prevent electrolysis.” they cut it to save money. that would have to have had to occurred over significant opposition.

:laffo:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s the amazing thing to me.

anyone with a naval architecture or marine engineering background would be screaming about this. so the navy had to have forced it over loud complaints.

Who, the shipbuilders that will now be paid more money to fix the problem?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wolfs posted:

why, because they have impeccably vetted security clearances? where do nuclear missile skills transfer

rocket science is the thing people compare to the hardest thing you can do

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one time they did an audit of the nuclear missile silos and discovered that maintaining all the elaborate checks and balances to make it difficult to launch nukes was too much work so the guys staffing the place had just set all the password to 00000000 to make it easy to launch everything, also they were all on drugs and going insane

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve just looked it up.

look, if this is what the contractors of the free market will, it must be the best way forward

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tempora Mutantur posted:

look, if this is what the contractors of the free market will, it must be the best way forward

it was almost certainly the navy itself and not the shipyard.

the joke about American shipyards is:You have to wait longer than anywhere else in the world for them to start, when they start the work will be slower than anywhere else but on the bright side it will also be more expensive.

that said the navy is so bad that the shipyards do things like go to the big consultancies to model the affect late significant change orders to the design from the navy have on cost and scheduling. like how dumb the navy is about this stuff has been modeled with significant input from the navy and the conclusions accepted by the navy... and they still do it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

one time they did an audit of the nuclear missile silos and discovered that maintaining all the elaborate checks and balances to make it difficult to launch nukes was too much work so the guys staffing the place had just set all the password to 00000000 to make it easy to launch everything, also they were all on drugs and going insane

tbf that was also an intentional undermining of civilian control of the military and not only that they were lazy

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

they should just make a missile that shits out a huge rear end cloud of radar visible crap over miles and miles and have some normal rear end jets fly through it so the anti air cant target them

by they i mean the level designers at bandai namco project aces cause that would be a fun ac level.

Isn't that just dumping chaff? That's a World War Two guys dumping aluminium strips by hand out the side of the plane level of technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

vyelkin posted:

but then it was all fixed and works flawlessly now, the end