Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

“It’s one slice of bacon, Jesse. What could it cost, $30?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes, the supply chain management are the same folks decided what Minnie Mouse is going to wear for a specific piece of marketing.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm taking our culture to task for only focusing on trivial bullshit in my hard-hitting feature: "A cartoon character wore different clothes today"

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 27, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought this space restaurant was sort of a flop. Why is it so hard for me to get reservations for it in late March!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Try looking at the lounge. You can still order off the main menu but you're not locked into the prix fixe price. We were able to get a res there for Feb 14 a couple of weeks ago, but we did have to use one of those dining res searching sites.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nothing there but I appreciate the heads up on that. I'll keep refreshing both until the trip.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/1486821619628756993?s=21

Amazing, top notch

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

and I thought encanto couldn't get better, poo poo.

E: I do kind of want big al to be bruno, though.

E2: Some year, when MNSSHP exists and covid is no longer a thing, I really do need to go as Trixie. I already did Teddi Beara. Just slowly work my insane self through bad takes on classic Disney parks characters until I end up there covered in feathers as one of the tiki room cockatoo showgirls.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 28, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Saw a big group as all of the various tiki room birds at Disneyland this past October. The girls were white girl wasted and shedding feathers everywhere.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Saw a big group as all of the various tiki room birds at Disneyland this past October. The girls were white girl wasted and shedding feathers everywhere.

I can only dream of attaining such disney legacies.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Show up as one of the cabaret chickens from the Zip-A-Dee Lady.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

i'd pay genie+ for this version of country bears next month

speaking of which, I'll bt at WDW exactly 2 weeks from today and I haven't done poo poo to get ready.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doronin posted:

speaking of which, I'll bt at WDW exactly 2 weeks from today and I haven't done poo poo to get ready.

a friend went recently and they only ate at quick service outdoors away from folks. they literally didn't need to plan anything. did everything in every park.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just don't follow regular Disney genie recommendations or cause going by other Twitter, youll be directed to swiss family tree house and other hot rides.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

I'm coming in on Feb 14. Are we supposed to be doing things this early? I mean, I'll pack a couple of days before but I haven't done anything else really.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Took this from the PYF tweets thread. I think we need an update to Great Moments with Mr. Linoln that includes a lot more of this. I saw that thing for the first time a few weeks ago and felt like I was being indoctrinated.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Did we all get a group rate or something? I’ll be at the parks the week of 2/7.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Thwomp posted:

It's a really good time to go, especially as far as weather goes, and if not for covid I'd probably be down there, too. Alas. Maybe halloween.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Keep your northern asses where they are and stop bringing the cold down here. It's going to be in the 20s tonight*.

*and 86 later this week :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big thanks to skipdogg for our little staycation at AKL. We had a great time eating Sanaa’s bread service and watching the animals all evening and morning. Great place to just chill. Here's a few pics

not pictured are the warthogs, that spent all morning being little assholes and chasing the other animals around like herding dogs

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 29, 2022

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

AKL is a great resort even though I find the rooms a little meh. It's still a really cool place to stay.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
*steps outside into crisp cool air with a refreshing breeze, clear skies and no humidity*

Darn it I sure wish I had swamp rear end right now

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I need help! We did Disney in 2017, right before our son turned 4. He ran across some YouTube videos of Savi’s workshop recently & is dying to go make a lightsaber. Not gonna lie, I want to go back too now that he’s 9 & will ride more things & make more lasting memories.

He’s super into Star Wars & Marvel, which is making me wonder if we should do Disneyland, instead of Disney World. I have enough AA miles stashed away that we could probably fly for almost free.

I guess my question is, is the Marvel stuff at Disneyland worth flying across the country for? Or should we just drive to Orlando? (We live just outside of Charlotte)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Maaaaybe? It's a little hard to tell because I don't know how much you value those AA miles/the ability to not worry about cramming into a flying tube in These Trying Times, but I can talk about Marvel at DL

As someone who eats this marvel poo poo up - It's sorta mediocre. Web Slingers is very obviously the second fiddle to the (still unannounced) Avengers ride. I did really enjoy Mission Breakout, though. I think if things were operating more normally you could make a better case for it if the characters were actually doing meet and greets, but I feel like socially distanced meets don't have the same levels of fun or interactivity (again, you know your kid better on this front). At any rate, the land itself is definitely not an incredibly themed environment. It isn't batuu, it isn't Pandora. Even someone who loves Marvel isn't going to be blown away just walking around the area.

All that said, there are reasons to prefer the west coast for a second trip anyway. Logistics are simpler because you can stay a 5 minute walk from both gates. Disneyland is so much better than MK it's sorta obnoxious (I really didn't want to have this opinion before I went, but here we are.) Cars Land really is that cool. It's a little more palatable to fold in extra legs if you want to pop over to, say, Universal Hollywood. But Disneyland Resort just doesn't have the gently caress off scale that WDW has.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

*steps outside into crisp cool air with a refreshing breeze, clear skies and no humidity*

Darn it I sure wish I had swamp rear end right now

Yes, our normal 55-65 winter days are perfect. Not whatever the hell 25 degrees is. I actually have to turn the heat on!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/BrianWFTV/status/1486334849870929926

Stay safe out there, Florida goons.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GoreJess posted:

I need help! We did Disney in 2017, right before our son turned 4. He ran across some YouTube videos of Savi’s workshop recently & is dying to go make a lightsaber. Not gonna lie, I want to go back too now that he’s 9 & will ride more things & make more lasting memories.

He’s super into Star Wars & Marvel, which is making me wonder if we should do Disneyland, instead of Disney World. I have enough AA miles stashed away that we could probably fly for almost free.

I guess my question is, is the Marvel stuff at Disneyland worth flying across the country for? Or should we just drive to Orlando? (We live just outside of Charlotte)

I agree with Boxman generally but I thought I’d add the little stage-ish shows on avengers campus are really cute, a 4 year old marvel geek would be totally into them. The place is super small and the main appeal would be the character work imo (maybe Pym’s kitchen too for the gimmickry, but I didn’t try it)

Edit: oh he’s 9 now, even better, there’s some fun stage fighting and silly jokes that he would probably be all excited to get

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The spiderman robot flip thing is really cool.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thwomp posted:

2/19 here :toot:

We just did a round of omicron so we figured with the peak seeming to come down and our immunity being as high as it's gonna be for a while now was the time to strike

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GoreJess posted:

I'm probably going to repeat some things that Boxman said, but here we go.

Disneyland Park (aka their Magic Kingdom) is so much better than Magic Kingdom at WDW. It has some rides that WDW doesn't have and vice versa. Generally speaking the DLR version of the ride is better. It's absolutely the crown jewel in the Disney parks. Galaxy's Edge is there so it's super easy for you to do the Savi's experience (which is really cool). It's smaller in size but there's a TON packed into Disneyland Park. You can easily spend 2 days there. Depending on when you go crowds might not be too bad which makes it easy to do all your favorite rides a few times.

California Adventure does have some problems, but it's not as bad as some might make it out to be. Cars Land is loving awesome, and I'm not someone who really gives a poo poo about the franchise. Be sure to check it out at night when all the neon lights turn on. I haven't been to the Avengers Campus (they were building it last time I was there) but I figure your kid will love it. The GOTG ride is fine too. They also have some classic amusement park rides with Disney theming which is fine. I like those rides, myself. Depending on how lucky you get with wait times and lightning lane stuff, you can probably do whatever you want to do here in a day, but it's probably 1.5 days if you want to do EVERYTHING.

You can also stay off property and still be within walking distance of the park so that's a good way to save a few bucks if you need to. It's also convenient if anyone needs to take a break. You can just walk back to the hotel, relax, and walk back. DLR is open late some nights so you can take a break like that and still have plenty of time left for rides. I also think that because both parks are right next to each other, park hopper tickets are also worth considering. With Downtown Disney and the hotels being right there it also makes it easier for dining.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

I agree with Boxman generally but I thought I’d add the little stage-ish shows on avengers campus are really cute, a 4 year old marvel geek would be totally into them. The place is super small and the main appeal would be the character work imo (maybe Pym’s kitchen too for the gimmickry, but I didn’t try it)

Oh, they are doing the Doctor Strange magic show too, which is definitely very cute.

I'm not sure all this adds up to single-handedly drawing away from WDW, especially if that's an easier trip, but yeah, there are plenty of little things in Avengers Campus to see and other reasons why a trip to DLR might be preferable.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Go to Disney World and spend a day at Islands of Adventure and enjoy marvel that way imho.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We’re in the parks this week and aside from a rainy day at Animal Kingdom it hasn’t been that bad. The fact that it hit -10 back home this week helps us feel better about being “cold” in Florida. Yesterday was our resort day anyway so we hit Disney Springs for a few hours then just relaxed indoors the rest of the day.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Thanks everyone! There are so many things to think about & I guess I really need to decide what I’m trying to get out of this trip. And realistically, what kind of cash I’m willing to put down.

The Cars area at DL would be a trip down nostalgia lane. He had those movies on constant repeat for years.

But if what he really cares about is the Galaxy’s Edge area, we could make a shorter trip to Orlando & then plan a California adventure for another time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GoreJess posted:

Thanks everyone! There are so many things to think about & I guess I really need to decide what I’m trying to get out of this trip. And realistically, what kind of cash I’m willing to put down.

The Cars area at DL would be a trip down nostalgia lane. He had those movies on constant repeat for years.

But if what he really cares about is the Galaxy’s Edge area, we could make a shorter trip to Orlando & then plan a California adventure for another time.

Galaxy's Edge is the same overpriced junk at both Disneyland and Hollywood Studios. Just go to California imho.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The Saavi’s experience is one of the best memories I have of over ten years of going to the Disney Parks. Overpriced? Maybe. But the saber itself is great and I love Batuu and all the “junk” they have there. Your kid will have a blast whichever park you choose.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Nanigans posted:

The Saavi’s experience is one of the best memories I have of over ten years of going to the Disney Parks. Overpriced? Maybe. But the saber itself is great and I love Batuu and all the “junk” they have there. Your kid will have a blast whichever park you choose.

Thank you for being positive & not just making GBS threads on a kid’s dream.

Yes, everything in the parks is expensive, but that memory of turning on your custom lightsaber….I’m pretty sure that’s worth it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nanigans posted:

same, and I've done it during the pandemic for my wife's lightsaber and it was still amazing. totally worth it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm not into light sabers but for me the pinnacle of Galaxy's Edge is being able to throw the Falcon into hyperdrive. I've done it 2 or 3 times and it never gets old. I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seeing the Falcon for the first time was for me like my wife seeing Hogwarts at Universal for the first time 11 years ago. It helped that we were there during a cast preview pre-pandemic when they still had the interactive characters and crowds were small, but it really felt like I was walking around a real place and not a theme park world, the immersion was full in a way it hasn't been for me before. Felt like a kid again, and I love it for that.