Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
WIBTA if I just threw away the yams?

quote:

My partner and I moved in together seven months ago. She likes yams... in theory. In practice, she buys them in bags of 10 or 20 and they rot. I might have time to make one or two into something edible before this inevitable waste, but neither of us makes enough yam-based food to consume more than a small fraction of what she orders. (She buys the household food in return for paying a smaller portion of the rent.)

I hate wasting (her) money and wasting (our) food, but, more than that, I hate wasting time cleaning up the resulting mess. Yam rot on the carpet, yam rot on the cabinets - if you've ever had to deal with it, you know how gross and time-consuming it is to clean it all up. After the second or third time, spending hours airing out a closet with a rot-stained carpet, I told her that I never wanted her to buy a whole bag of yams again. She rarely used more than one or two, so that's what she should buy - maybe three or four max.

She seemed to agree, but then, literally four days later, we got a bag of yams in our grocery delivery. I told her that, while it might be a small thing, buying them right after she'd agreed not to showed me that I couldn't trust her to keep her word. She responded that I was being overly dramatic to bring up trust and that she would actually make the yams this time.

The bag was never opened and today I saw the familiar yam-rot stains on the lazy Susan. This time it only took a few minutes to clean up, but at this point I want to cut out the middleman and throw away any yam bag that comes into our place. That way I don't have to clean the rot, and maybe she finally gets the message, which would prevent future waste, future messes, and future arguments. WIBTA if I just threw away the yams?

UPDATE: To clarify, she's put the yams a variety of places: On the ground in a dark, dry, cool closet with a carpeted bottom; on the ground in a dark, dry, cool closet with a linoleum bottom; in a painted kitchen cupboard; and, finally, on a lazy Susan on top of the microwave - which was better for catching rot rather than preventing it, my goal since preventing seemed like a lost cause. For the person who asked why we don't use a cupboard, the cupboard clean-up was actually worse than the carpet one.

Regarding whether they should last days or months, the last two yam bags rotted under winter conditions; we keep the place at temperatures that, coincidentally, are supposed to be ideal for yam storage. But we have no idea how much time elapses between when they're grown and when they show up at our door.

To address another point, our freezer doesn't have enough space for a full bag of chopped yams, and I'm not eager to make my cooking largely yam-based in the future.

Shortly after she woke up this morning, I told her about the yams as gently as possible. In response, she promised to never buy whole bags of yams... or regular potatoes... again. (I said potatoes were okay, but she insisted.) Hopefully that, not throwing them away, will be the solution.

you never jeopardize the yams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

eleven extra elephants posted:

I hope this is fake

Time for a final meth party
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...a9eaUCNlvQc6ZP/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

DEATH PARDE GOD HELL

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

wow thats rough, he still looked pretty good in Jumanji

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

DEATH PARDE GOD HELL

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo, this one.
AITA for being nice to my mother in law?

Comments:

Yeah, I'm instantly skeptical when I hear a story about an elderly person in a medially induced coma who 'could have been saved' if not for the dastardly choices of the doctors or their family members. More likely that grandmom was dying no matter what and the person talking is just in deep denial about it.

That's just my experience from deaths that have happened in my own family. And it can turn into some big family drama when the person in (understandable) denial decides that Aunt-So-and-So must have *killed* Uncle-Whosit because she signed off on putting him on a ventilator. Never mind that Uncle-Whosit has been slowly dying of cancer for the past six years. It was Aunt-So-and-So's fault.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here's some interesting ones.

AITA for buying a gargantous amount of milk and chocolate powder?

quote:

So today I(17M) was drinking some chocolate milk and my mother barged in my room and started complaining that i was drinking all the milk in the house (i drink around 1 cup of chocolate milk per day).

After she was done with her rant i said ok, and i went to Carrefour (It's like wallmart) and i bought 30L of milk and 5KG of chocolate powder (Nescau)

When sha saw me coming with the boxes she asked ,why i bought all of that ,and i said

''Milk and chocolate won't be a problem for a while''

She's mad at me now but my father can't stop laughing.

So am i the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: IT'S UHT MILK THAT LAST UP TO 4 MONTHS OUTSIDE THE REFRIGERATOR

:allears:

AITA for telling my mom that my boyfriend broke her underwear?

quote:

My (18F) boyfriend (20M) and I started having sex recently, I was a virgin before him. I was going to his house one night and he sent me a text asking if I could wear a thong but I don't have any. I didn't want to dissapoint him so I went to my mother's bedroom to found one.

While we were having physical intimacy, my boyfriend grabbed the thong to take it off and broke it, he didn't know it was my mother's and he says it wasn't intentional. I thought the best idea was to buy a new one to replace it but I don't have enough money and my boyfriend didn't want to help me pay for it.

I ended up telling my mother the truth and she wasn't that mad but now my boyfriend is upset because he says it is something embarrassing for my mother to know, and that now he will be ashamed every time he sees her. He argues that I could just told her that I took the thong and broke it without involving him.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

And now I have the 'Thong Song' stuck in my head.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ewwwwwww wearing your mum's thong to sex your boyfriend

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Beats wearing your boyfriend's thong to sex your mom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Quackles posted:

Here's some interesting ones.

AITA for buying a gargantous amount of milk and chocolate powder?

:allears:

I love it when people learn things:

quote:

Are you serious??

I'm over here in Chicago planning out my milk buying/consumption like the Always Sunny murder board guy because I've got 2 weeks max before it's spoiled and there's milk in the world that lasts for 6 months and you don't even have to put it in the fridge???

EDIT: oh poo poo they have it at Walmart

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Quackles posted:

AITA for telling my mom that my boyfriend broke her underwear?

From the title I took it as the boyfriend ended up wearing her mom's thong and it broke

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

WIBTA if I just threw away the yams?

you never jeopardize the yams

Usually potatoes keep fine for me, but I had one bag that for some reason just liquified into a gooey mess. Same storage as all the rest over the last 15 years, it just went weird.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I love it when people learn things:
I hope there's an update when they realize UHT milk is poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I hope they discover powdered milk, that stays good for years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

UHT milk is fine if you don't mind it being sweet.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My SO [21F] drinks out the same cup that her cat drinks out of and makes me disgusted

quote:

Basically title.

Cat comes over sticks her whole head in the cup to drink, girlfriend still drinks out the same cup instead of getting a new one. I just can't get over it, it's kind of disgusting to me considering the cat cleans its own arse and is stomping around in a litterbox, then sharing the same cup while sitting down and eating.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Mx. posted:

My SO [21F] drinks out the same cup that her cat drinks out of and makes me disgusted

quote:

My stepdaughter pointed out that they lick their butt and then clean themselves. So you’re really touching their butthole every time you pet them if that helps.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It doesn't.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

He's loading it up with chocolate powder. It's fine.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for calling my husband an obnoxious idiot on his birthday?

quote:

Please read the full story before giving out any judgements.

My husband and I have been married for 4 years. He likes to make jokes all the times and most of them come across are personal and hurtful. especially since he's doing it to close family and friends. I've already talked to him about it but he says it's who he is and it's not his fault nobody takes a jokes.

his birthday was last friday, the party was at our home and we invited my family including my brother and his terminally ill wife (she has cancer and is terminal). mom came as well.

so what happened was that my brother was complaining about his financial situation while we were eating at the table. My husband told him he'd lend him money but my brother said no. My husband insisted. he took money from his wallet...about 200 bucks and told him "come on!...between (SIL's name) medical debts and her inability to perform her wife duties, when was the last time you were able to afford a prost**tute!? TAKE IT". We were all shocked. My brother and SIL were in shock and so was I and the others I'm sure. like this is...just I didn't believe he said that. He then sat back down and started laughing saying it was a joke!. SIL walked out and so did my brother. I was livid I was seeing red I yelled at my husband calling him an obnoxious idiot to think that this was a joke. his mom side eyed me and ge went on about it being a joke and my brother and his wife overreacted. rest of my family left after I kept yelling at him and dinner was ruined. I had a fight with his mom who said I needed to watch my words but I told her to leave.

my husband said me and my brother and his wife took it too far because he was just kidding and swore he didn't mean to offend them but I told him he disrespected them hugely. he said that I too disrespected him infront of everybody by calling him obnoxious idiot and on his birthday no less. He started sulking afterwards saying he'll nebet forget this scene for years to come.

I haven't seen my brother and his wife evetsince the conflict started. AITA?

How the gently caress does someone stay with an rear end in a top hat like that?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If you own a pet, your home is covered in tiny fecal particles. Thems the facts.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I feel like if you've ever farted in your home you've gotten farticles everywhere too. Organic creatures are disgusting.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
There's just a certain grossness that's baked into taking care of an animal. My cats get on the drat counter all the time and I can't stop them. But I would never drink out of a cup they did or use a utensil they licked without it going through the dishwasher because that poo poo really is gross

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

quote:

I used to keep a really big plastic cup of water next to my bed, until one night I wake up to this weird horkk smorkk noise and look over to see the cat had got its entire head sectioned into the cup and was walking around with it stuck to it's face. I lauged at it for a good 10 seconds before freeing the little idiot. I try not to think how long it's been doing that for with various cups and glasses around the house. We all now use bottles.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i seem to remember reading a story about a hairless cat leaving little buttprints everywhere

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (23m) contacted a girl's (22f) work to ask if she was okay after she unexpectedly ghosted me out of nowhere. She got angry at me and blocked me. Where did I go wrong?

quote:

Some background: this girl 'Sharon' is here from abroad to do an internship at a "zoo". Its supposed to give her really valuable work experience - she takes care of the animals and in return they give her free room and board. We met on Hinge and we've known each other for several months now and has been approaching relationship status, although we've been exclusive for 2 or so months now. Its important to note that we have had this discussion and we know where we stand.

So, a friend of her's has a terminal brain tumour. She found out a few weeks ago and she's not been having a good time; she told me that the friend doesn't have much time left. During this time, she went AWOL a little bit and told me that she contemplated killing herself. Its important to add that the work she does is really gruelling, she works 6 days a week 12 hour days, so mentally she's not in the greatest shape. To add to this she told me she has a history of anxiety and depression.

We had a date planned for last Saturday, in the morning. Friday night she tells me she's going to bed and she can't wait to see me Saturday. That was the last text I received from her. I didn't blow up her phone at first, I figured she was going through something and needed space so I kept texting her that she's not alone, if she needs anything to just reach out, etc etc. No response. This was out of the ordinary as we text each other all day every day if we're not with each other.

The week goes by, I still hear nothing and I grow more and more concerned. To add to this she usually posts a lot of stories on Instagram pretty frequently (several times a day) and during this time her Instagram was inactive. I also tried calling her a few times as well. Yesterday I resolved that if I didn't hear from her by today then I would call her work and ask if she's okay. So I didn't hear back from her today. I searched up the number for the zoo and called, told them that I have a friend there who I haven't heard from for a while and it was out of the ordinary and that I was concerned about her. They told me that she's there and she's okay. Later on she texted me (was the first time she contacted me since last Friday) and she was pretty angry with me saying she's fine and that that was super unprofessional of me to do and that I embarrassed her in front of her colleagues and friends, she then proceeded to block me on everything.

I won't lie im pretty hurt about the whole thing because this has just totally blindsided me, we were doing really well. We didn't get in any fights, arguments, or anything of the sort. What did I do wrong here?

TLDR: girl ghosted me out of nowhere. I grew concerned about her and called her work to see if she's alright. She got really angry and blocked me on everything.

Edit: Let me just clarify that I didn't contact her work because I was salty about being ghosted or whatever, I did it because I was genuinely concerned about her safety and wellbeing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hi from page 455... The name of the kid the racist hated 100% was Siohban I'd bet money on it.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

tater_salad posted:

Hi from page 455... The name of the kid the racist hated 100% was Siohban I'd bet money on it.

That was my guess as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for refusing to let my ex-husband take our children abroad to visit his family?

Both countries are parties to The Hague International Treaty on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction, and the fact that she doesn’t mention her concern about him not bringing them back in the body of her first post makes me think that probably isn’t what she’s primarily concerned with. It’s not like he’s taking them to Japan where they don’t give a poo poo about your foreign custody order.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

tater_salad posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thinks Siobhan when hearing "strange irish name"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
oh gently caress i bet that was it lmao, lol at calling succession some unpopular show

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mx. posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thinks Siobhan when hearing "strange irish name"

My thought was Aoife. Not for a particular reason, I just heard once how it's pronounced and the whole thing stuck in my head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also Domhnall

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for telling a guy I find his body hair disgusting?

quote:

I (19F) was in the hot tub with friends. A guy friend made a very obvious conscious effort to look at my underarms. He said that’s absolutely disgusting and he’s never seen a girl with unshaven underarms, and he’s going to have nightmares.

I told him his pits are unshaven. And he doesn’t even bother to hide them either. He said it’s fine since guys are naturally supposed to grow hair and girls aren’t.

I said most girls find guy’s underarm hair disgusting. I do. We’re just too polite to comment. He said that’s not true at all. I asked the girls (18F and 19F), and they agreed that body hair is just as disgusting on guys.

He got mad and said girls are high maintenance, and I said no, guys are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Speaking as a dude: armpit hair is indeed gross. You're supposed to trim it, not let it grow wild and gross.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (23m) contacted a girl's (22f) work to ask if she was okay after she unexpectedly ghosted me out of nowhere. She got angry at me and blocked me. Where did I go wrong?

Uh. By contacting her work asking about her?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking as a dude: armpit hair is indeed gross. You're supposed to trim it, not let it grow wild and gross.

speaking as a porpoise, let that poo poo grow out everywhere. embrace your one stupid mammalian life.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my husband an obnoxious idiot on his birthday?

How the gently caress does someone stay with an rear end in a top hat like that?
How does nobody do the obvious thing and just continuously own the guy with his own schtick until he shuts up? These people deflate like a balloon when you do it back to them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lazy_Liberal posted:

speaking as a porpoise, let that poo poo grow out everywhere. embrace your one stupid mammalian life.

sorry no it's really uncomfortable especially in the summer. I don't put a lot of thought or effort into grooming it but when it gets uncomfortable then yes I'm going to trim it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling a guy I find his body hair disgusting?

He said it’s fine since guys are naturally supposed to grow hair and girls aren’t.

I, what? Like people can have whatever opinion or preferences about body hair but to call it unnatural is pretty wrong.