Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's another [some group] tries to genocide mutants. Eternals aren't gonna be the ones to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

I assume Jane showed up because much like there's only two superhero lawyers in the MU, there's only three superhero doctors (one a Krakoan who couldn't be used for plot reasons, and the other dead since that jerk Vulpes just killed him and he was a surgeon anyway)

That's what I figured too, as well as what someone else noted about Moira going to another doctor who she knows has superhuman experience.

IIRC, Jane's still a practicing physician, but got banished to the coroner's office due to what amounted to Thor-induced hospital politics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah she kept dipping out of work and being late to be Valkyrie so she got banished to the basement where the work isn't quite as urgent.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
her new boss knows she's valkyrie and lets her leave when she needs to which is a nice bonus

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Barry Convex posted:

I like Gillen's Eternals and I'm hyped for Immortal X-Men, but if this isn't a fakeout and is actually why Judgment Day isn't just an Avengers/Eternals story... I dunno

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1487130863536115717

Reading the first issue of the latest Eternals on Unlimited and it's half about the Flintstones Avengers so I'm not too optimistic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

Reading the first issue of the latest Eternals on Unlimited and it's half about the Flintstones Avengers so I'm not too optimistic.

It's good, OP

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eternals is really good.

Also the X-Men and Avengers actually teaming up for once?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm sorry, I hate Cavemen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The BC Avengers don't show up again, if that helps.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe there will be mutant revealed to be Eternals and they'll by canned the X-ternals? Internals?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I liked Inferno #1 so much I had to go get the rest and not wait for Unlimited even though I read all the talk of it here. I liked the series quite a bit and somehow didn't understand what y'all were talking about with the Doug stuff so I was still pleasantly surprised by how that turned out, since I had a very soft spot in my heart and it's good to see him be a power broker.

I like the status quo where it is for now and think Hickman left the world in a way where there aren't as many gnawing questions as I had before this book. I don't think the Moria stuff is over though. The thing we know about Forge's gun is that it can be reversed, not to mention there's nothing to stop them just from resurrecting her now.

Codependent Poster posted:

The BC Avengers don't show up again, if that helps.

That does, although I was going to read it anyway because the last Externals arc was very very good.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe there will be mutant revealed to be Eternals and they'll by canned the X-ternals? Internals?

The Externals are already a subtype of mutants, Apocalypse is one (and I’m pretty sure in the David run he said that Madrox is an external and that they’re mutants who manifest their X-Gene at birth)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Internet Wizard posted:

The Externals are already a subtype of mutants, Apocalypse is one (and I’m pretty sure in the David run he said that Madrox is an external and that they’re mutants who manifest their X-Gene at birth)

Madrox is a "killcrop" which are supposedly the immediate prior subspecies to homo sapiens superior, the main difference being that yeah, they manifest at birth. Externals are just immortal I think?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Externals (which were introduced by Rob Liefeld shortly before jumping ship to Image) really felt like Rob had just seen Highlander and wanted to do some version of that; they were even alternately called THE HIGH LORDS in those early stories. Then they were just really old people and barely mentioned as a group (Selene and Apocalypse were the only pre-Liefeld characters/the only ones who got significant attention in the ensuing ~25 years) but then Ed Brisson did a Cable arc that was picked up on in Excalibur, where it turns out maybe they kind of are like Highlanders and they keep trying to kill each other to absorb their powers, or something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know the Externals are a thing I was just hoping my reboot joke was good enough and hey at least we're talking Externals now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Rochallor posted:

Madrox is a "killcrop" which are supposedly the immediate prior subspecies to homo sapiens superior, the main difference being that yeah, they manifest at birth. Externals are just immortal I think?

Ah that’s right, I mixed up the names.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
externals are mutants who for some reason or other turned out to be immortal. so, a subspecies of a subspecies of human. eternals weren't ever human.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scott's death didnt seem like that public. They could just have taken his body away and say they fixed him up. vOv

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Synthbuttrange posted:

Scott's death didnt seem like that public. They could just have taken his body away and say they fixed him up. vOv

it's pure narrative conveniance, they also could send several different people to the crime scene and instantly solve the case, but they don't because there needs to be another issue

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The Externals (which were introduced by Rob Liefeld shortly before jumping ship to Image) really felt like Rob had just seen Highlander and wanted to do some version of that; they were even alternately called THE HIGH LORDS in those early stories. Then they were just really old people and barely mentioned as a group (Selene and Apocalypse were the only pre-Liefeld characters/the only ones who got significant attention in the ensuing ~25 years) but then Ed Brisson did a Cable arc that was picked up on in Excalibur, where it turns out maybe they kind of are like Highlanders and they keep trying to kill each other to absorb their powers, or something?

Wasn't Cannonball an External until he wasn't?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

externals are mutants who for some reason or other turned out to be immortal. so, a subspecies of a subspecies of human. eternals weren't ever human.

I mean....yeah they were. Their origin is that early man was experimented on by the Celestials. Some of the experiments became Deviants, some Eternals, and the rest are the potential in the human genome that leads to mutants and people that turn into giant green monsters rather than die when exposed to radiation. poo poo like that. It's all the same source at the end of the day.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dawgstar posted:

I remember that being setup like a very important thing and, at some point, after maybe Age of Apocalypse it got entirely forgotten? Probably need to hit the wikis to figure out what happened there. Gonna guess Scott Lobdell whom I remember at the time resetting all of Sam's character development.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Dawgstar posted:

Yes. We still don't know how he came back to life after Sauron stabbed him.

Brian Cronin made an article about it: https://www.cbr.com/the-abandoned-an-forsaked-so-is-cannonball-an-external-or-what/

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In the Rob Liefeld co-written X-Force run the idea that Cannonball was an External was introduced at the same time as the concept of the Externals. He gets impaled and killed by Sauron at the end of X-Force #7, and X-Force #8 is a flashback to Cable pre-first-appearance where it's revealed he's from thousands of years in the future and searching for "High Lords" in our present-day. His computers identify Cannonball and the whole reason Cable came back and took over the New Mutants was allegedly to mentor Cannonball.

In X-Force #9 Cable monologues in a way to suggest that Sam's "High Lord" powers won't kick in until after he died and comes back from the dead, which he does!

X-Force #10 reveals that Gideon (who had appeared previously) and Saul, Nicodemus, Absalom, and Crule are *also* High Lords, but they also call themselves Externals. They all sensed Cannonball just became an External, and it's revealed that Gideon trying to mentor Sunspot was because he assumed that he was the External in the New Mutants. Anyway, the Externals stuff continues along as a half-hearted subplot for the next twenty-odd issues of Fabian Niceza's X-Force, and when Jeph Loeb takes over he has Selene show up and kill all of the other Externals and then laugh and say Cannonball was never an External, "ask Cable about that" and disappear. I don't think this was ever followed up on: Cannonball wasn't even in the book at the time (Loeb wrote him out in his first issue, which was in fact right after Age of Apocalypse), and Loeb left X-Force a half dozen issues later. The Externals were politely ignored from like 1995 to 2018.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, not Scott Lobdell but Jeph Loeb who pulled a retcon. And basically New X-Men by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost ignored that and Sam's still sort of immortal. Cool.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 29, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

So, not Scott Lobdell but Jeph Loeb who pulled a retcon. And basically New X-Men by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost ignored that and Sam's still sort of immortal. Cool.

I mean, ATM all mutants are immortal.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I mean, ATM all mutants are immortal.

It would be fun if Sam got incidentally chopped in some throwaway fight the next time he's on Earth, so they rez him, and then his original body gets back up.

They already did something a little like that in the Empyre tie-in, which felt like Hickman potentially setting something up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, yeah, but you know what I meant. Sam needs no Five to get up and go do his thing again.

Wanderer posted:

They already did something a little like that in the Empyre tie-in, which felt like Hickman potentially setting something up.

I can't seem to even recall anything from that dumb book anymore other than a lot of confusion when people saw Farouk in the group of psychics. What was it?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 29, 2022

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I can't seem to even recall anything from that dumb book anymore other than a lot of confusion when people saw Farouk in the group of psychics. What was it?

Long story short, one of the mutants who died at Genosha came face-to-face with his original body, which had been raised as a sentient zombie, and they had an inconclusive discussion over which was the original.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, the exploding boy, right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, yeah, where the living one is like "Oh yeah, we made out with that girl we liked... it wasn't that good and we didn't go out again".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Some of that seemed to be planned with Vulcan too, and Ewing will be using him in X-Men Red, so we might see that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, yeah, where the living one is like "Oh yeah, we made out with that girl we liked... it wasn't that good and we didn't go out again".

And dead one goes “That’s awesome!” and sacrifices himself to blow up the big bad.

Also, Apocalypse killed the other Externals besides himself and Selene at the start of X of Swords to create the gate to Otherworld.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Synthbuttrange posted:

"His mutant healing factor kicked in and restored him!"

"But Cyclops doesn't have a healing factor?"

"...secondary mutation?"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Just say it was Phoenix stuff.

Don't tell the Avengers.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Avengers already know (Unless Emma erased their memories after Trial of Magneto)

Given how often people like Tony and T'Challa keep paradigm-altering tech under their hat out of fear of it getting out of control, they're not inclined to spill the immortal tea

I have to say, I wasn't sure about Marauders under Steve Orlando but that Annual issue wasn't bad. And a cartoonishly evil villain who, in spite of that, manages to accurately pick holes in the premise of Krakoa is definitely on brand for Marvel "The villains might have the right talking points, but they act like monsters" Comics

I hope Daken gets a decent costume one day, if he's going to stay a good guy

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They hid it from the Avengers in the Trial of Magneto. Wanda coming back was written off as Wanda poo poo, and nobody really questioned it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

danbanana posted:

Uhhhhhh this thread may explain a lot.

https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1486321687515783176?t=XoUgT_MvjmdQuQby2K7wmQ&s=19

I was unaware of this shop and Claremont's connection, but I'm more surprised at how flippant it refers to his BDSM stuff. "Oh yeah that dude was hardcore in the scene" is obvious from his writing but I don't know if I've ever read anything other than suggesting he must have been in it.

I’m currently reading my way through the Claremont X-Men, and one of the Rachel Summers Phoenix’s first appearances is in what I can now recognize as a leather or pvc bodysuit covered with spikes, wearing a gimp mask, kneeling, on a leash. It was somewhat shocking to see it all together with adult eyes, even having seen all his previous fetish stuff, as I had no idea what any of that stuff signified when I was a kid, but he’s not really hiding it at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

something kind of went :thunk: in my head when I started reading. NM #39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont is incredibly horny, but his fetishistic, equal opportunity horniness is one that usually felt genuinely fun and counter-cultural compared to the rote horniness of "lady in not many clothes is in peril" that surrounded and followed him. As seen above, he was not afraid to write scripts that showed off Magneto's supple rear end.