Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Note: You'll get a full-dose shot this way. At least Pfizer and Moderna use a reduced dose for the boosters, I believe in order to have less side effects. So by getting a third or fourth full dose, you risk more of chills, fever, soreness or whatever you might get the next day.

Moderna does use a smaller dose for boosters, but last I read, Pfizer's booster is a full-dose shot. It definitely was when I got a booster in late October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

lmao no wonder we can't keep track of how much of the population is immunized

Yeah I don't agree with what they're doing.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

Candace Owens is so loving thick she got owned by notorious thick oval office Joe rogan lmao. How anyone falls for the obvious grift in tyool 2022 is incredible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mods here are a bunch of dumb cunts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
it must be hard for australians to post here because their entire vocabulary is the c word, bidet, and mate

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Philthy posted:

it must be hard for australians to post here because their entire vocabulary is the c word, bidet, and mate

This is anti-Australian discrimination. :australia:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pookah posted:

Going by my observations of the last three days, the demographics going maskless in shops are 10% women, all ages. 10% elderly men. 80% short, belligerent-looking men in their 20-30s.

crikey

This sounds accurate for most countries tbh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/29/schools-in-england-reinstate-mask-wearing-rules-as-covid-and-absenteeism-soar

Can't imagine how that happened.

E: this also came up in the related articles, turns out that letting 'er rip might have been a bad idea?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/29/long-covid-study-finds-abnormality-in-lungs-that-could-explain-breathlessness

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 30, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Thanks England for taking one for the team, and showing the rest of the developed world how that recklessness is totally idiotic.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thanks England for taking one for the team, and showing the rest of the developed world how that recklessness is totally idiotic.

I was gonna say how this won't make the US back down from 'Open 'er up", but then I noticed you said "developed world".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got my free government tests today. The system does work!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think people are right to complain about misinformation in the US but you don't need an active disinformation campaign to completey gently caress everything up:

Not looking so great, right? Well it's getting better:

Well, at least the government is doing everything they can do limit the spread of this disease:

:tif:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/762917244732178443/937169398937026570/5c0eqpqC91z7ukda.mp4

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So is it any surprise at all that the protest that started as "90% of truckers can still do their jobs just fine but we need to be outraged about requiring people crossing the border to be vaccinated and we blame Trudeau personally" turned into desecration of monuments and Nazi flags being flown near WW2 memorials?

A bunch of people were filmed dancing around and drinking on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Terry Fox memorial got vandalized. You know, the guy who died during his campaign to raise money and awareness for cancer research.

https://twitter.com/S_Thornton_332/status/1487518296668721153?s=20&t=ffx19piVWbWXHBbB2ve0QA

https://twitter.com/mackaytaggart/status/1487486909131677698?s=20&t=sopOBpeJuU0shO0IjsN-NA

And of course people are arguing "just a few bad apples! They don't represent us or our fight!"

Yes they do, sweetie. Yes they loving do.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This is NOT related to pancakes in any way but hypothetically, can an asymptomatic/undiagnosed covid cause like a month or two of just nonstop really bad poops and farts? Like... just the...absolute worst. For 2 people? Asking for a friend

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Good news! We found why you’re breathless. COVID did a bunch of damage to you lungs.”

“Can you treat it?”

“Uh, not so much.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lmao no wonder we can't keep track of how much of the population is immunized

Philthy posted:

Yeah, everyone sane wanted this all tracked and an actual card when it all kicked off, but guess what. muh freedumb no tracking facebookwanna be get AWAY from ma guns i hate black people*dies of covid*

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not why. It's because the more requirements and tracking, the less uptake among undocumented people. Which would be bad.

It's partly because they needed to make the vaccines open to everyone even if they were undocumented, but the Senate actually blocked a federal vaxx registry because they didn't want the federal government to have a record of individual citizen's health info so each state got to run their own vaxx registry and then pass the anonymized info to the feds for their stats. Of course each state built their own vaxx registry from the ground up so they're all run slightly differently and some are more efficient than others because certain states obviously DGAF. Some states had a centralized system which pharmacists could log onto (with varying levels of utility, sometimes they worked fairly well and other times they caused huge delays) and other states let pharmacy chains maintain their own lists which were later collated at the state level for reporting purposes. I've heard stories of people jab #1 at one pharmacy chain and jab #2 at a different chain and then months later they got reminder notices from both chains to come in and get a booster.

E: also there were an unknown number of scams where medical staff spent months adding fake info onto the databases

quote:

Two New York nurses charged with forging Covid vaccine cards to earn more than $1.5 million

Two nurses on New York’s Long Island are being charged with forging Covid-19 vaccination cards and entering the fake jabs in the state’s database, a scam that allegedly raked in more than $1.5 million.

The Suffolk County District Attorney on Friday arrested Julie DeVuono, 49, the owner and operator of Wild Child Pediatric Healthcare in Amityville and her employee, Marissa Urraro, 44, according to a complaint.

From November 2021 to January 2022, the pair allegedly forged vaccination cards, charging adults $220 apiece and $85 per child for a fake record that would land in the New York State Immunization Information System database. Prosecutors said that on one or more occasions, DeVuono and Urrano allegedly created records to indicate a vaccine was given to an undercover detective despite never administering the vaccine.

“Forging COVID-19 vaccination cards and entering false information into the New York
State database used to track vaccination records puts the health and well-being of others at risk, and undermines efforts to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus,” special agent Scott Lampert said in a statement announcing the charges.

During a search of DeVuono’s home, officials said officers seized roughly $900,000. They also allegedly found a ledger documenting profits from the scheme in excess of $1.5 million.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/long-island-nurses-charged-with-faking-covid-jabs-to-earn-more-than-1point5-million.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 30, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

So is it any surprise at all that the protest that started as "90% of truckers can still do their jobs just fine but we need to be outraged about requiring people crossing the border to be vaccinated and we blame Trudeau personally" turned into desecration of monuments and Nazi flags being flown near WW2 memorials?

A bunch of people were filmed dancing around and drinking on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the Terry Fox memorial got vandalized. You know, the guy who died during his campaign to raise money and awareness for cancer research.

https://twitter.com/S_Thornton_332/status/1487518296668721153?s=20&t=ffx19piVWbWXHBbB2ve0QA

https://twitter.com/mackaytaggart/status/1487486909131677698?s=20&t=sopOBpeJuU0shO0IjsN-NA

And of course people are arguing "just a few bad apples! They don't represent us or our fight!"

Yes they do, sweetie. Yes they loving do.

I'm not all that interested in this protest, itself, but I am very fascinated by the media and public reaction to it. Personally, I think there is a huge amount of daylight between being anti vaccine and anti vaccine mandates (I myself am 100% pro vaccine, and 100% anti mandates). Can we really say for sure, in this case, that the bad apples represent everything this protest stands for? Would we be OK with a statement like that if there was a BLM protest where someone put a sign on Terry Fox?

On a forum that routinely (and rightfully) boasts "ACAB" are these acts of "vandalism" really so egregious?

I really don't want to be provocative, and start some poo poo storm, but I'm now 2 years into being basically forced into complete social isolation, and I've never felt more despair in my entire life. All I want is for people to have a bit of empathy on all sides...

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bucswabe posted:

I'm not all that interested in this protest, itself, but I am very fascinated by the media and public reaction to it. Personally, I think there is a huge amount of daylight between being anti vaccine and anti vaccine mandates (I myself am 100% pro vaccine, and 100% anti mandates). Can we really say for sure, in this case, that the bad apples represent everything this protest stands for? Would we be OK with a statement like that if there was a BLM protest where someone put a sign on Terry Fox?

On a forum that routinely (and rightfully) boasts "ACAB" are these acts of "vandalism" really so egregious?

I really don't want to be provocative, and start some poo poo storm, but I'm now 2 years into being basically forced into complete social isolation, and I've never felt more despair in my entire life. All I want is for people to have a bit of empathy on all sides...

the entire convoy was started by the maverick party who are alberta's alt right so it's bout just some bad apples, it's a rotten orchard

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

mrfart posted:

:( that sounds awful, I wish you all the best. And maybe she’ll get lucky and doesn’t get it or have a mild case . My friend who’s a kidney donor patient with genetic heart disease seems to be going reasonably well through his omicron. He did receive antibodies at the hospital, and the staff already knew months in advance what to do if he caught it.

According to worldometers we have almost a million active cases here in Belgium. On a population of 11 million.
And virologists say it must be a lot higher because we don’t test people without symptoms anymore.
At what point will this thing burn itself out due to lack of hosts? I feel I’m the only one in my group of friends still holding to working from home but I’m close to losing my loving mind.

Turns out it's covid, if it worsens she's going to the hospital and then palliative care

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

(I myself am 100% pro vaccine, and 100% anti mandates)

This statement is like a giant red flag on top of other, smaller red flags.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This statement is like a giant red flag on top of other, smaller red flags.

May I ask why? I got my both my vaccine shots as soon as I could, and the booster just last week. I'd genuinely like to know what you think is a red flag.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: also there were an unknown number of scams where medical staff spent months adding fake info onto the databases

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/long-island-nurses-charged-with-faking-covid-jabs-to-earn-more-than-1point5-million.html

holly gently caress, million in profit from just 200$? no wonder why ny got hosed again, literally 10s of thosand fakers. fakers should be charged with something too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

May I ask why? I got my both my vaccine shots as soon as I could, and the booster just last week. I'd genuinely like to know what you think is a red flag.

Because it's functionally like saying "I'm 100% against drunk driving, and 100% against drunk driving laws." Clinging to some libertarian mythology in the face of a public health crisis is ignorant at best, disingenuous and dogwhistly at worst.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cnbc posted:

From November 2021 to January 2022, the pair allegedly forged vaccination cards, charging adults $220 apiece and $85 per child for a fake record that would land in the New York State Immunization Information System database.

Aaaaaaand we've reached peak stupidity. People are paying $220 to avoid something that's free.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bucswabe posted:

I understand where you're coming from and since you made your argument politely and clearly I hope people don't jump down your throat but...

Sid Vicious posted:

the entire convoy was started by the maverick party who are alberta's alt right so it's bout just some bad apples, it's a rotten orchard

I think this is the case here. It wasn't protesters who a few psychos latched onto, it was a bunch of psychos that some protesters latched onto.

Although I really haven't been following it much so I don't have much of an educated opinion on it. I do disagree with you on the mandates though. I think those are crucial and logically necessary steps to help stop the spread of a deadly disease. We don't have many tools at our disposal to fight something like that. But mask mandates, etc are one of them.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 30, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Because it's functionally like saying "I'm 100% against drunk driving, and 100% against drunk driving laws." Clinging to some libertarian mythology in the face of a public health crisis is ignorant at best, disingenuous and dogwhistly at worst.

I'll just try to break down my thought process as best I can, and people can poke holes in the logic. Vaccines were pitched as the solution to the pandemic. And in Canada, at this point, close to 90% have gotten the vaccine. I 100% supported the argument that people not getting vaxxed are selfish, and I supported the passports in restaurants, gyms, etc. But Omicron really changed everything. Suddenly, everyone, despite vaccine status was getting Covid (myself included) and so the argument for why vaccines are essential was muddied. Now, the best you can argue is that getting vaccinated is for the purpose of not being one of the few hundreds of people that end up in the hospital or ICU. And while I can see that argument, I think the idea of a government forcing a health care decision on the population, at the threat of your job and ability to support yourself and family as going too far.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bucswabe posted:

I'll just try to break down my thought process as best I can, and people can poke holes in the logic. Vaccines were pitched as the solution to the pandemic. And in Canada, at this point, close to 90% have gotten the vaccine. I 100% supported the argument that people not getting vaxxed are selfish, and I supported the passports in restaurants, gyms, etc. But Omicron really changed everything. Suddenly, everyone, despite vaccine status was getting Covid (myself included) and so the argument for why vaccines are essential was muddied. Now, the best you can argue is that getting vaccinated is for the purpose of not being one of the few hundreds of people that end up in the hospital or ICU. And while I can see that argument, I think the idea of a government forcing a health care decision on the population, at the threat of your job and ability to support yourself and family as going too far.

It reduces the spread, not just the severity. Even with Omicron, though it's less dramatic than with wildtype or Alpha.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

This is regressive and just feeds into anti-vaxx bullshit. There is a long history of mandates for things like smallpox and polio and measles. This is not a special case, and is not a situation completely unparalleled in history. The whole point of public health is to keep the public healthy. That a lot of the public are idiots only increases the need for mandates. Mandates keep the playing field level, and you don't end up with situations where whole groups can be Typhoid Marys to everyone else around them, and dipshits who prefer conspiracy theory over reality can endanger the health of children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.

If anything, mandates maintain more equity than their absence, because otherwise the anti-vaxx nutjobs have more rights and power than the people getting vaccinated, class issues aside.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hope this is true

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/spotify-loses-4-billion-in-market-value-following-neil-young-controversy

"Spotify lost $4 billion in market value this week after rock icon Neil Young called out the company for allowing comedian Joe Rogan to use its service to spread misinformation about the COVID vaccine on his popular podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”

At the end of the day Friday, Jan. 28, shares of Spotify were down about 12% from where they closed last week, according to data from Nasdaq, against a broader index that was flat over the same period. The hashtags #DeleteSpotify and #CancelSpotify also gained traction on social media, with many websites offering step-by-step instructions for users to remove the app from their devices."

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is regressive and just feeds into anti-vaxx bullshit. There is a long history of mandates for things like smallpox and polio and measles. This is not a special case, and is not a situation completely unparalleled in history. The whole point of public health is to keep the public healthy. That a lot of the public are idiots only increases the need for mandates. Mandates keep the playing field level, and you don't end up with situations where whole groups can be Typhoid Marys to everyone else around them, and dipshits who prefer conspiracy theory over reality can endanger the health of children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.

If anything, mandates maintain more equity than their absence, because otherwise the anti-vaxx nutjobs have more rights and power than the people getting vaccinated, class issues aside.

these are great points, and I definitely have not forgotten the precedence of various countries requiring vaccines for certain diseases that are highly prevalent within their borders. I guess with Covid, where I am finding the difference is, there have been legitimate concerns with some of the vaccines (AstraZeneca, for example, was approved for use, then discontinued in Canada) and, more importantly, the vaccines are not coming anywhere close to sterilizing immunity. You can be just as much a Typhoid Mary fully vaxxed as you can non-vaxxed. Yes, for sure, everyone SHOULD get the vaccine. But if someone hasn't gotten it, and has already had covid and recovered, shouldn't that be a consideration?

Admittedly, part of my concern also speaks to the greater issue of continuous polarization and radicalization of entire sub populations of people who are rejecting traditional institutions. I really worry what happens when you have 10% of a population who say they will never get the shot, and the reaction from government is "we're going to make these people unhappy"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There is a long history of mandates for things like smallpox and polio and measles.

Seatbelts in cars, helmets for motorcyclists and DUI laws are also examples of healthcare mandates which can "[threaten] your job and ability to support yourself and family" if your job depends on your having a current driving license.
OSHA regs on worksites are another example.

There's tons and tons of mandates which are designed to prevent injury/illness which have been a normal part of life our entire lives

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

it is true and tons of reporters are currently scouring twitter for the next big artist to drop spotify

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

these are great points, and I definitely have not forgotten the precedence of various countries requiring vaccines for certain diseases that are highly prevalent within their borders. I guess with Covid, where I am finding the difference is, there have been legitimate concerns with some of the vaccines (AstraZeneca, for example, was approved for use, then discontinued in Canada) and, more importantly, the vaccines are not coming anywhere close to sterilizing immunity. You can be just as much a Typhoid Mary fully vaxxed as you can non-vaxxed. Yes, for sure, everyone SHOULD get the vaccine. But if someone hasn't gotten it, and has already had covid and recovered, shouldn't that be a consideration?

No, it shouldn't be a consideration, and the evidence is solid that vaccination + infection is the closest we can get to sterilizing immunity, anyway. And hemming and hawing over who should get the shot simply obfuscates the matter when it should just be a clear dictate that everyone gets the shot, outside valid medical reasons not to (which exist, but are rare).

Bucswabe posted:

Admittedly, part of my concern also speaks to the greater issue of continuous polarization and radicalization of entire sub populations of people who are rejecting traditional institutions. I really worry what happens when you have 10% of a population who say they will never get the shot, and the reaction from government is "we're going to make these people unhappy"

The answer to radicals is not to appease them. If their deeply held belief were white supremacy instead of anti-vaxx idiocy should we make sure the government doesn't hurt their feelings? This gets into "paradox of tolerance" territory, and doesn't lead good places.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hope this is true

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/spotify-loses-4-billion-in-market-value-following-neil-young-controversy

"Spotify lost $4 billion in market value this week after rock icon Neil Young called out the company for allowing comedian Joe Rogan to use its service to spread misinformation about the COVID vaccine on his popular podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”

At the end of the day Friday, Jan. 28, shares of Spotify were down about 12% from where they closed last week, according to data from Nasdaq, against a broader index that was flat over the same period. The hashtags #DeleteSpotify and #CancelSpotify also gained traction on social media, with many websites offering step-by-step instructions for users to remove the app from their devices."
Looks like Tidal has a way of importing Spotify playlists. Gonna give them a shot. I'm curious about alternatives other folks are using as well.

At the same time, I'm one of those people who listens to the same handful of songs on repeat until I'm utterly sick of them, so I might as well just quit paying for streaming and get the .mp3s directly from the artists' Bandcamps or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hope this is true

:getin:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gynovore posted:

Aaaaaaand we've reached peak stupidity. People are paying $220 to avoid something that's free.

From the start we should’ve just pretended that vaccines were reserved for the coastal elites costing $1,000 a head, then just provided every rear end in a top hat with ‘a guy’ who could sort them out on the sly.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1487630726111576068

Not Canadian but nah, gently caress these people. These are people that do not deserve consideration. Their beliefs do not deserve consideration. gently caress these people and what they stand for. gently caress those who stand with them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

Looks like Tidal has a way of importing Spotify playlists. Gonna give them a shot. I'm curious about alternatives other folks are using as well.

At the same time, I'm one of those people who listens to the same handful of songs on repeat until I'm utterly sick of them, so I might as well just quit paying for streaming and get the .mp3s directly from the artists' Bandcamps or something.

always have local stuff, ignoring crazy THE END prepper poo poo, amerca's infrastructure sucks and you wont know if a god drat tree branch or some other dumb poo poo knocks your local utilities out and it takes a week to fix.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teen witch posted:

https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1487630726111576068

Not Canadian but nah, gently caress these people. These are people that do not deserve consideration. Their beliefs do not deserve consideration. gently caress these people and what they stand for. gently caress those who stand with them.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I’ve seen that they’ve escorted Trudeau to a private location due to security reasons. If you ask me there’s a perfect place where you know these clowns will never go... that of their local library.