Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

the holy poopacy posted:

sorry no it's really uncomfortable especially in the summer. I don't put a lot of thought or effort into grooming it but when it gets uncomfortable then yes I'm going to trim it

more power to you, trimmed one

and to all the folks posting who aren't hirsute as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Re: Cat drink
You are covered in poo particles right now regardless of pet ownership. It's okay. You can survive this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

therobit posted:

I, what? Like people can have whatever opinion or preferences about body hair but to call it unnatural is pretty wrong.

What I like = natural = good

What I don't like = unnatural = bad

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Agrikk posted:

Uh. By contacting her work asking about her?
Not even that, if he had just said "Hello, could I speak to x" they would have said yes, or no she's busy, or no she's not here, and it would have been fine. Instead, he did this:

quote:

told them that I have a friend there who I haven't heard from for a while and it was out of the ordinary and that I was concerned about her

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
eh if someone is suicidal and depressive and suddenly drops off, I think it's fair to be concerned about them and try to figure out what happened

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

eh if someone is suicidal and depressive and suddenly drops off, I think it's fair to be concerned about them and try to figure out what happened

Yeah.

Also the lack of social media posting is weird too.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for letting my dog get into bed while I'm naked?

quote:

My (24m) girlfriend (23f) have known each other for about a year because of adjacent friend groups and have been dating for close to three months. We're at the point in our relationship where she's starting to spend the night.

I've also got a three year old Samoyed named Sheldon living with me. He's just about my favorite person in the world. He's got his own bed but sometimes decides that he wants to sleep with me, and I let him.

The issue for my girlfriend is that I sleep naked. I always have. When she found out that I let my dog into my bed while I'm naked, she was upset and told me that it was weird. I asked why, and she said it just was, normal people don't do that.

I told her that was stupid. He's just a dog; to him, me being naked is just the same as me wearing clothes. Besides, when I let him sleep with me, it's not like I'm letting him into the covers. There's still a layer of fabric separating my nakedness from him.

But she was still upset, insisting again, that normal people don't do that. I asked her what, exactly, about it was bothering her so much, and she said that it felt like I was, in her words, "having intimate relations with the dog."

I'll admit, I found this hilarious. On the one hand, he's a dog, and on the other, he's a guy and I'm not gay. It was also funny how it felt like she wanted to accuse me of bestiality, but couldn't bring herself to actually say the word. I laughed and she got annoyed.

I decided to start pretending to "flirt" with Sheldon in front of her, cuddling with him and saying things like, "It's okay, she just doesn't understand our love."

This annoyed her even more, and eventually, she asked if I loved her more or the dog. Easy answer, Sheldon. She stormed out of the apartment. I think we're breaking up, but honestly, I don't feel too bad about it.

When I was telling my friends about this, though, they did say it was a little weird that I let Sheldon into bed at night knowing that I sleep naked. It got me thinking.

So I came here to ask, AITA?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

therobit posted:

Both countries are parties to The Hague International Treaty on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction, and the fact that she doesn’t mention her concern about him not bringing them back in the body of her first post makes me think that probably isn’t what she’s primarily concerned with. It’s not like he’s taking them to Japan where they don’t give a poo poo about your foreign custody order.

OP is probably afraid her children will find out not all countries are as miserable as the UK and that things can be better

Alternatively she doesn’t want them to become more Italian

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for saying my daughter wouldn’t be allowed to have a graduation party because my son isn’t having one?

quote:

I (40f), have a son (18), and a daughter (14). My son is graduating high school this year and i was thinking about throwing him a party with his friends in a hall or something, we have to talk about stuff like this because people get reservations really quick around here.

Well my son doesn’t have many friends so he said he’d rather have a nice dinner with his friends then throw a party, which is perfectly fine with me, especially with covid it might even be the better choice.

The conflict however starts when my daughter who was sitting near us said, “when i graduate I’m throwing a huge party with all my friends”. Which I responded with by telling her she’s actually not allowed to have a party now because it would be unfair to her brother to be rubbing her friends in his face.

She stormed out of the room saying i pick favorites,and now isn’t talking to me.. My son says she was just being a brat while my husband says what i said was straight up rude.

AITA?

Edit: shes a junior not a freshman, skipped 4th and 6th grade.

Edit: its not that my son doesn’t want to have a big party in a hall, according to him he only has 4 or 5 friends and he literally can’t throw one with that amount.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can absolutely throw a party with five-six people if you want to.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
This is going to be irrelevant outside of the Eastern Europe thread, but UHT milk was never a thing in the Soviet Union. It started to appear in stores in the first half of the 2000s, with no marketing effort put in explaining the tech, and many people older than millennials mistrust or ignore it. Both due to the higher price and "who knows what chemicals they must be putting in it". It sometimes comes up in conversations too somehow.

Anyway, this entire preface should provide context for why I have noticed an overlap between Covid vaccine stupidity and mistrust of UHT milk.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a podcast for cats posted:

This is going to be irrelevant outside of the Eastern Europe thread, but UHT milk was never a thing in the Soviet Union. It started to appear in stores in the first half of the 2000s, with no marketing effort put in explaining the tech, and many people older than millennials mistrust or ignore it. Both due to the higher price and "who knows what chemicals they must be putting in it". It sometimes comes up in conversations too somehow.

Anyway, this entire preface should provide context for why I have noticed an overlap between Covid vaccine stupidity and mistrust of UHT milk.

I mistrust it because it tastes like arse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Where is UHT milk more expensive than pasteurised? It should be the most dirt cheap milk you can get, because it can sit stacked on the pallet in the middle of the store forever. Until recently it replaced pretty much all other milk in my EE corner of the world, and is significantly cheaper than any milk you can get from the chilled aisles. Also it's fine, all the talk of it being awful is just being overdramatic, and what little difference there is is irrelevant if you don't drink it straight.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

steinrokkan posted:

Where is UHT milk more expensive than pasteurised? It should be the most dirt cheap milk you can get, because it can sit stacked on the pallet in the middle of the store forever. Until recently it replaced pretty much all other milk in my EE corner of the world, and is significantly cheaper than any milk you can get from the chilled aisles. Also it's fine, all the talk of it being awful is just being overdramatic, and what little difference there is is irrelevant if you don't drink it straight.

Apparently, some brands of organic milk use ultra pasteurization, and thereby are sold for a price premium.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quackles posted:

Apparently, some brands of organic milk use ultra pasteurization, and thereby are sold for a price premium.

Huh, seems like a waste.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Bruceski posted:

My thought was Aoife. Not for a particular reason, I just heard once how it's pronounced and the whole thing stuck in my head.

Paidraigh

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Bad example, since it's not EE, also an island that imports most if not all food and has a history of regulating prices for staple foods and had hard currency controls not long before EU accession, but it ranges from costing the same to being 20-50% more expensive than locally produced pasteurised milk in Malta, the difference being name brand or supermarket house brands.

I'm not tracking dairy prices in Baltics right now, but UHT wasn't prominent or cheaper last I visited. And last I recall there was some minor grumbling on social media about UHT milk being included in the free school lunch packets that were sent to students during lockdown school closures.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I used to know a girl with the surname Ni Mhuircheartaigh.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for letting my dog get into bed while I'm naked?

Why wouldn't you want to cuddle your pets in bed? I am cuddling my cat in bed as I write this. Lazy weekend mornings cuddling pets in bed are the best.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

steinrokkan posted:

Huh, seems like a waste.

It's done in the US because organic milk sells more slowly than conventional, so that allows it to have a longer shelf life. This is for non shelf stable / refrigerated organic milk, too. It's the only product I purposely buy organic since I just use it in tea so a half gallon can last a month open in the fridge. Otherwise, gently caress the organic food industry.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
PYF milk

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

sugar mouse posted:

Why wouldn't you want to cuddle your pets in bed? I am cuddling my cat in bed as I write this. Lazy weekend mornings cuddling pets in bed are the best.

The issue is doing it while naked, I think, not that they're doing it at all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Malk

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

But only the cartons with the freaking looking elf-child on it. Otherwise nah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Canuckistan posted:

But only the cartons with the freaking looking elf-child on it. Otherwise nah.

Lactose free 1% milk is a crime. Arrest this poster

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Now with Vitamin R

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Sans lactose free? :thunk: Does that mean it has lactose?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

steinrokkan posted:

Also it's fine, all the talk of it being awful is just being overdramatic, and what little difference there is is irrelevant if you don't drink it straight.

There is a huge difference and UHT milk tastes vile in any context where it could actually be tasted, including tea, bechamel sauce, and porridge. I get that the difference may be less obvious to your taste buds, since my own struggle to identify bitterness. But don't just say I'm 'overreacting' because I can taste something you can't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are overreacting

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Quackles posted:

I'm going to create ULTRA XXXTREME PASTEURIZATION using patented amino acids to appeal to certain demographics who don't want just regular or even ultra pasteurized milk

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm going to create ULTRA XXXTREME PASTEURIZATION using patented amino acids to appeal to certain demographics who don't want just regular or even ultra pasteurized milk

Natural organic pasteurization. Just leave it out in the sun for a few days.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have never heard of UHT milk and have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I had a ton of shelf stable milk as a kid. Unsure if it was because we were poor or mexican. I'm lactose intolerant and i remember getting soy milk in the same aisle. It's in the organic/breakfast aisle where I'm at

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Ultra High Temperature means that some of the sugars in the milk get carmalized, which is why the flavor is weird. But it also brings the long shelf life which is great for the capitalists because they can bring in cheap milk from far away to undermine local dairy farmers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hola milk, soy papa

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh dear me posted:

There is a huge difference and UHT milk tastes vile in any context where it could actually be tasted, including tea, bechamel sauce, and porridge. I get that the difference may be less obvious to your taste buds, since my own struggle to identify bitterness. But don't just say I'm 'overreacting' because I can taste something you can't.

:goonsay:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

zokie posted:

Ultra High Temperature means that some of the sugars in the milk get carmalized, which is why the flavor is weird. But it also brings the long shelf life which is great for the capitalists because they can bring in cheap milk from far away to undermine local dairy farmers.

As an Ontarian our strong dairy lobby was against it, we get it now at a slight premium as their compromise. It works for me as milk is an ingredient not a drink for me and i can get it lactose free plus it lasts forever.

Ontario is a weird rear end diary market so i have 0 knowledge of a normal dairy market

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

lament.cfg posted:

Hola milk, soy papa

Goddamn it I laughed at this

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

All this milk chat has definitely gotten me curious to try UHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DoubleNegative posted:

Sans lactose free? :thunk: Does that mean it has lactose?

All Canadian labeling legally has to be in both English and French. Often if a word is the same in both languages, they get cute and put the cognate or brand name in big letters with French and English modifiers in a smaller font on one side each, because the languages have inverse rules for where adjectives and modifiers go in a sentence.